• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 8, 2018
did Sony confirm full RDNA 2 including VRS? Did Sony confirm VRS? Why didn't they mention it during their deep dive? Why? Because they want a resetera mod to confirm it and not themselves?
I mean they might have it BUT currently it's not announced.
can you explain me why they didn't announce it during their technical deep dive at their supposed to be GDC talk? Wouldn't it be important for devs to know if they have it or not?

also, we had lots of insiders claim bullshit about PS5. Didn't thommy Fisher say something like 13 TFLOPS for PS5? And full PS1-PS3 BC? I wouldn't trust anything before Sony confirms it.

That you compare Matt to Tommy Fisher is more than enough to know spending time arguing with you is not worth my time.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I guess I hurt some feelings, because I don't remember ever being quoted as much. The irony? I've ardently defended Sony in the past (I don't hide my post history, check it out). Being called a console warrior... SMH... I'm not the one taking what's being said as gospel! 😡

Sony's solution seems absolutely crazy to me. You might buy into the talk, but the moment Cerny mentioned the variable frequencies, it was like saying "our GPU solution is bad compared to the competition, but potentially even worse than that". Him not straight out saying how low it can go and what exactly those compromises will be, that's the shit that's worrisome. He spent a whole hour giving us vague hints.

Lowering the frequencies "a couple percent" will lower the power needed by 10 %... Okay, fine. How much exactly? He said it was for our benefit, but how could it be?

Lowering the frequency of the GPU by just 5 % would bring it from 2.23 GHz to about ~2.12 GHz. That's about ~9.77 tflops. Will it go even lower? Those are the answers I'm looking for, eventhough yes, he said he expects the GPU to mostly stay at those frequencies. I certainly hope so, but the vagueness isn't confidence inducing. And of course the higher frequency will have it's own benefits! That's the only thing that might somewhat close the gap.

Will the SSD be groundbreaking? Fuck yes. I'm just not excited about their APU. I truly hope I'm wrong though.

And another one makes my VIP list, that makes 3 this morning. Not bad for a lockdown Sunday...

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
again, did they confirm VRS? If so, where? Did they confirm full RDNA 2.0 feature set, if so, where?
In the Deep dive, why didn't he talk much about RT, but only global illumination? Because? Explain this before just dismissing. Just shows that you don't have any arguments against it.

I'm convinced this is a fake troll account, no other explanation, right?

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
For the last year Ive been using my Pro for Sony exclusives and my X for everything else, it looks like next gen will be exactly the same.

Even if Sony has a huge edge with that SSD, its only first party games that will be designed around it.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
that's why Sony is only talking about global illumination when talking about RT - whereas MS showed full RT with the Minecraft demo.
This is incorrect. Mr. Cerny's presentation actually said that there's a whole range of different levels of RT possible, from raytraced audio all the way up to full path tracing, as in Minecraft.

Did Sony confirm VRS?
They did not.

But please note that the Microsoft patent for VRS, as is typical, references multiple existing patents for related ideas. One of these patents that already existed is by Mark Cerny.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure. I'll have to look into to it since I never did before since AMD pretty much canned it with Vega.
I'd really love it if someone had info on AMD's primitive shaders vs mesh shaders, I'm seeing articles that primitive shaders were fixed in the 5700 series but I can't find exactly what they do and how they differ from mesh shaders.

I'm especially interested because both Cerny and Matt Hargett brought up primitive shaders specifically but did not mention mesh shaders anywhere.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
For the last year Ive been using my Pro for Sony exclusives and my X for everything else, it looks like next gen will be exactly the same.

Even if Sony has a huge edge with that SSD, its only first party games that will be designed around it.
Then, 3rd party games will still need to take into account the base XB1/PCs and their HDD.

Main difference between the two next gen consoles will slight variances in resolution and maybe fps consistency. Textures, settings, etc will most likely be identical.

Turkishflavor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
So, uh, about that "Sony Dev React" thing that is still going after 26 pages. From what I've gathered on this thread :

Kurt Margeneau (Naughty Dog) ---> Sony dev
Anthony Newman (Naughty Dog) --> Sony dev
James Cooper (no studio currently) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Andrew Maximov (Promethean AI) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Randy Pitchford (Gearbox) --> Not Sony dev
Matt Philips (Big Evil Corp) --> Not Sony dev
Mike Evans (ex AMD) --> Not Sony dev
Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) --> Not Sony dev
Andrea Pessino (Ready at Dawn) --> Not Sony dev
Dale North (composer) --> Not Sony dev
Olivier JT (VR audio) --> Not Sony dev
Jason Nuyens (Breakfall) --> Not Sony dev

Let's see:
he says that Tflops don't matter and are not a measure.
Well, he only creates 8BIT 2D games. Of course TFLOPS Don't matter To them.

gearbox? Isn't Sony ps5 first console exclusive game GODFALL created by.... GEARBOX
Yeah, very unbiased.

Same as above, only 2D/8 Bit Games. Of course they don't care about power difference.

They created multiple PS4 exclusive games. Saying they are not biased towards Sony is a stretch

He says:
PS5 has custom audio hardware called Tempest that has tons of power to audio magic. Hundreds of 3d sound sources possible, power left over for things like convolution reverb!
Microsoft has the same, dedicated audio hardware and Audio ray tracing. No difference here
Olivier JT (VR audio) --> Not Sony dev is the same
as dale north

Jason Nuyens (Breakfall) --> Not Sony dev same as above, creates only 2D games. Meh.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they cant call VRS, VRS, just like they didn't call mesh shaders, mesh shaders. These are patented technology, they will have their own implementation that is totally not those inventions and call them something else. It is not important.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Let's see:

gearbox? Isn't Sony ps5 first console exclusive game GODFALL created by.... GEARBOX
Yeah, very unbiased.

Same as above, only 2D/8 Bit Games. Of course they don't care about power difference.

They created multiple PS4 exclusive games. Saying they are not biased towards Sony is a stretch

He says:
PS5 has custom audio hardware called Tempest that has tons of power to audio magic. Hundreds of 3d sound sources possible, power left over for things like convolution reverb!
Microsoft has the same, dedicated audio hardware and Audio ray tracing. No difference here
as dale north

Jason Nuyens (Breakfall) --> Not Sony dev same as above, creates only 2D games. Meh.
Good job moving the goal post. You said there are no 3rd parties praising the PS5, you're shown there are, then you change to they have to be either not working on a PS5 game(like Godfall) or it needs to be a AAA-level big budget game.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was asking about the primitive shaders that Vega had that used the GE. I was trying to figure out if RDNA2's mesh shaders would also use the GE is what I was getting at.

I'd really love it if someone had info on AMD's primitive shaders vs mesh shaders, I'm seeing articles that primitive shaders were fixed in the 5700 series but I can't find exactly what they do and how they differ from mesh shaders.

I'm especially interested because both Cerny and Matt Hargett brought up primitive shaders specifically but did not mention mesh shaders anywhere.

Vega's primitive shaders never got off the ground, but mesh shaders would use the GE. The mesh shaders generate the designated number of primitives and their attributes.

they cant call VRS, VRS, just like they didn't call mesh shaders, mesh shaders. These are patented technology, they will have their own implementation that is totally not those inventions and call them something else. It is not important.

🙃🙃🙃

EDIT: Moderators must do a better job at cleaning up these boards. If this past week is any indication this board will be insufferable when the new consoles launch. I know it's hard but you have to be diligent in striking down bad faith actors. We've all been on the internet long enough to know one when you see one.

Last edited:

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

So, you are saying Sony is not using the full RDNA 2.0 feature set - as I said - and instead use their own custom features?

Yeah we don't have this whole thread full of third party devs saying the exact same thing. You are literally making a fool of yourself you console warrior troll.
Come one. This is ridiculous. Really reaching for straws here:

Let's see:

Yeah, very unbiased.

He says:
as dale north

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
God damn never seen blatant goal post moving so hard before lol
Ask about 3rd party devs, shown 3rd party devs so changes the narrative

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Good job moving the goal post. You said there are no 3rd parties praising the PS5, you're shown there are, then you change to they have to be either not working on a PS5 game(like Godfall) or it needs to be a AAA-level big budget game.

be serious, come on. they are developing a game exclusively for Sony, of course they are biased.
Or someone who only creates low budget 2D 8-bit games, why would they care about TFLOPS and the power difference? Their games will look the same even on PS3 lol that's not what this is about here! And you know that. Stop reaching for straws.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that the opinion of developers who don't create AAA games don't matter when it comes to next gen.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Turkishflavor your posts remind me of the hilarious garbage I saw back in my GameTrailers forum days. Thank you for the laughs and nostalgia.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A mesh is just a collection of primitives. I'd say chances are extremely high that these are two terms for the exact same thing. (This doesn't mean it can't be achieved with different protocols, of course.)
Vega's primitive shaders never got off the ground, but mesh shaders would use the GE. The mesh shaders generate the designated number of primitives and their attributes.

🙃🙃🙃
Thanks both of you, I appreciate the response. :)

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Today I learned that the opinion of developers who don't create AAA games don't matter when it comes to next gen.
Never said that, but we are talking about the POWER DIFFERENCE in games, and their games NEVER even reach the full potential of XBOX360/PS3, why should their opinion matter when we talk about Xbox series X and PS5 power difference? Why?
It's not like it would matter to them in any way, because their games won't teach that in a million years anyway.
This is just delusional.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see:

Yeah, very unbiased.

He says:
as dale north

I feel like I'm back on GameFAQs reading a post like this. Christ Almighty.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
No, it isn't. They're just the publisher.

Incorrect. Microsoft has dedicated audio hardware, and the ability to do audio RT. But it's different hardware, with different goals and a different approach.

they cant call VRS, VRS, just like they didn't call mesh shaders, mesh shaders. These are patented technology, they will have their own implementation that is totally not those inventions and call them something else.
They may still refer to VRS, as this term appears to be patented by AMD, not by Microsoft.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Concern Trolling, Platform Warring, and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts; Account in Junior Phase
Oh I forgot, ITT we only praise glorious Sony, they have the stringed console and best developed console of all time!
MiniatureConventionalKoala-size_restricted.gif

So amazing architecture!

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
So the PS5 is less powerful than the Xbox SX. So what? Sony's brand was always about powerful, yet consumer accessible technology.

The PS1, PS2 and PS4 were all powerful consoles, but there was a compromise to ensure the price was still appealing to the market. The PS3 was the exception, and is widely considered to have been a strategic mistake. Why do people here want Sony to make another PS3? The PS5 is more than powerful enough, it is going to be a bit weaker than the Xbox, but it will be cheaper too.

The mass market ALWAYS prioritise the better value option if the systems are comparable. The difference between Xbox and PS5 is small enough that they will seem comparable to the vast majority of people. Sony has therefore done a great job here and effectively secured a victory in yet another console generation. If they chased MS on power, giving no thought to price and only catering to the hardest of the hardcore, that would have been a mistake.

And as we know, sales = dev support = sales. Why would anybody complain about Sony's strategy here?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, only developers who don't actually develop for a console can praise it! That way even though they have no experience with the console they're at least unbiased!! /s

I would like to take some time out to thank the artists, programmers, and other industry workers who have given us some actual valuable insight into these new consoles and what we can expect. It's the only thing that's made reading through these threads tolerable! :)

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
No, it isn't. They're just the publisher.

Incorrect. Microsoft has dedicated audio hardware, and the ability to do audio RT. But it's different hardware, with different goals and a different approach.

They may still refer to VRS, as this term appears to be patented by AMD, not by Microsoft.

No difference in the sense that using audio would also don't use any other resources, because they have dedicated hardware - just like Sony - so in that sense they are the same. It's not a power advantage.
Yeah, THEY MAY refer, but they didn't. Why didn't they? They didn't mention anything like that... because? We only have a mod here confirm it, but Sony themselves not. Why shouldn't they? They had a technical deep dive, why not mention it there?

Ex Libris

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hate to admit that reading TurkishFlavors meltdown is actually kind of entertaining.

The mental gymnastics and goal post moving is just *chef kiss*

Dec 8, 2018
No difference in the sense that using audio would also don't use any other resources, because they have dedicated hardware - just like Sony - so in that sense they are the same. It's not a power advantage.
Yeah, THEY MAY refer, but they didn't. Why didn't they? They didn't mention anything like that... because? We only have a mod here confirm it, but Sony themselves not. Why shouldn't they? They had a technical deep dive, why not mention it there?
Both have a GPU and a CPU so there is no reason to discuss if one or the other have a better solution as well then.

PS5=XsX confirmed

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I hate to admit that reading TurkishFlavors meltdown is actually kind of entertaining.

The mental gymnastics and goal post moving is just *chef kiss*

so, a mod here confirms VRS for PS5. But in their technical deep dive Sony did not mention it. And I'm the one doing mental gymnastics? Hm. Yeah. Totally makes sense. Lol

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020

🙃🙃🙃

EDIT: Moderators must do a better job at cleaning up these boards. If this past week is any indication this board will be insufferable when the new consoles launch. I know it's hard but you have to be diligent in striking down bad faith actors. We've all been on the internet long enough to know one when you see one.
Question. Is the geometry front-end of the Primitive Shaders also fully programable like the Mesh Shaders?