• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
ok. So for example:

1. car a is driving 1mph and car b is driving 2mph
WOW 100% difference! HUGE DIFFERENCE

2. car a is driving 100mph and car b is driving 150mph.
meh. Only 50% difference. small difference.

Again, you guys need to look at the raw numbers. PS4 vs. XBOX ONE was only 0.5 tflops.
Now we are looking at UP TO 3 TFLOPS difference. This is a 6x times bigger TFLOPS difference looking at raw numbers.

and you have also to take into Account that Sony is achieving their TFLOPS number only by using overclocking. Just look at GPUs that already tried that, the difference is HUGE:

689972fb-152a-4109-9ffakce.png

7c7bd9f8-9ccc-459e-9ikkgi.jpeg

But ok, let's say you guys are right... then explain me something:

WHY is Sony overclocking their CPU/GPU so damn hard?! The frequency is INSANE! Nothing like we have ever seen from AMD. Ridiculous. I don't wanna know how hot and loud this machine is going To get... and variable frequencies? Multiplatform devs it's going to be a nightmare to optimize. Maybe they won't even bother and just lock the frequency and call it day...
We are potentially looking at another YLOD fiasco... why else did Sony take so long to reveals tflops? Why else didn't we even SEE the console? MS already has shown everything and even journalists were allowed to take the whole console in and out...

But again, we will see in the end how different the games will look and run like

Read your own pictures buddy: There's a 3Tflops difference between 2080S and Ti in your graph. Yet in games it translate to a 15% difference in power.

Turkishflavor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Turkishflavor i don't know if your account or posts are actually serious, but here's a post I made covering just this a few days ago.

not really, but doesn't explain why Sony is overclocking so much.
The only reason they are doing this is to CLOSE THE TFLOPS GAP to series X.

if tflops doesn't matter, why did they overclock? Why not leave it at 9 tflops - if the difference isn't that big anyway - according to you?

I think as soon as we see the multiplatform games, we will that there is going to be a huge difference.
Especially with RT. RT is bound to CU, which series X has 44% more of compared to PS5.
But again, we will see when the games arrive.

Dec 8, 2018
I am not trying to argue, I am trying to get properly educated on how it is going to be revolutionary in practice, not just through hyperboles that have been thrown around, with out any actual examples that go beyond just improved loading time/assets.

Then read the thread your in or perhaps watch DF SC videos there are TONS of information about how important the SSD is instead of spouting shit you have no knowledge on.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not trying to argue, I am trying to get properly educated on how it is going to be revolutionary in practice, not just through hyperboles that have been thrown around, with out any actual examples that go beyond just improved loading time/assets.

I responded to you earlier with a video link that goes into some of the reasons how. But Digital Foundry actually has an entire series about Star Citizen and many segments within discuss how the minimum SSD requirement shapes the games design and level of ambition.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What does this even mean?

Processes in the GE happen before you even begin drawing cycles, which is where VRS comes into play. See NVIDIA Turing mesh shaders for a better idea at what's happening here.

One thing I hope studios are thinking about is creating systems for higher quality procedurally generated assets. These SSD improvements open up the door for vaster and more intricately designed spaces, which are going to require a whole helluva lot more art.

Last edited:

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I responded to you earlier with a video link that goes into some of the reasons how. But Digital Foundry actually has an entire series about Star Citizen and many segments within discuss how the minimum SSD requirement shapes the games design and level of ambition.

Lol. Star citizens is still in ALPHA. Could be easily a bug. Are you seriously comparing this to a final console game? Seriously?
As if ps5s SSD would make games look and run better than Xbox series X games. Because of the freaking SSD. You do know that Series X also has an SSD, right?
And if you believe that multiplatform devs will design their games around ps5s ssd then you are delusional.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Then read the thread your in or perhaps watch DF SC videos there are TONS of information about how important the SSD is instead of spouting shit you have no knowledge on.

SSD in general, yes. Both console have an SSD. So, won't make any difference between those two in that regard, since multiplatform devs won't design games around a single ssd.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I see random back and forth about random buzzwords augmented by PR statements from both Sony and Microsoft which are used to highlight differences and perhaps even advantages over the other, is there actually really something in the render pipeline that one does and the other doesn't? And which parts are just plain rdna2 but twisted words from PR?

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018

I guess I should have phrased it better, I meant to questions how is the PS5's SSD going to revolutionize gaming so much more when the XSX that also has a SSD. Everyone is only highlighting PS5's SSD and its speed, but no one is actually explaining/showcase the advantage in practice between those two.

I understand the benefits that SSD's bring to certain games more than to other, which is why I brought up Star Citizen, but what I don't undestand it the hyping up between the 2 SSD's for which we have no examples for, yet we keep hearing hyperboles about it.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Does the PS4 have RDNA2?

Not full RDNA 2 though. Only a small feature set of RDNA 2. that's why Sony is only talking about global illumination when talking about RT - whereas MS showed full RT with the Minecraft demo.
Besides - Sony promised a technical "deep dive" With Mark Cerny. If it was a technical deep dive and if they would support VRS, then he would mention it, no?
They might have it yes, but why didn't they mention it during their technical deep dive? Because?
Man don't tell me there is also PS 1-3 BC, but they didn't talk about it, because....? Lol

this SECRET SAUCE talk is getting ridiculous and beyond pathetic. This is even WORSE than the SECRET dGPU in Xbox one talk at the beginning of current gen. Crazy people.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I guess I should have phrased it better, I meant to questions how is the PS5's SSD going to revolutionize gaming so much more when the XSX that also has a SSD. Everyone is only highlighting PS5's SSD and its speed, but no one is actually explaining/showcase the advantage in practice between those two.

I understand the benefits that SSD's bring to certain games more than to other, which is why I brought up Star Citizen, but what I don't undestand it the hyping up between the 2 SSD's for which we have no examples for, yet we keep hearing hyperboles about it.

It simply doesn't. Especially for multiplatform games it won't do a single difference, oh maybe a small one - little faster loading times. But that's it.
No multiplatform dev would ever invest time to optimize their game around a single ssd. This is nonsense and a huge waste of resources.

Just look at this video to see the difference between the different types of SSD speeds:

m.youtube.com

Does a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers?? - $h!t Manufacturers Say

Find a Micro Center near you: https://rebrand.ly/s9j16ct Maingear Vector Laptop: https://rebrand.ly/353vpgs Maingear Vector Laptop (Amazon): https://rebrand....

This will be the same difference for multiplatform games.

Dec 8, 2018
Not full RDNA 2 though. Only a small feature set of RDNA 2. that's why Sony is only talking about global illumination when talking about RT - whereas MS showed full RT with the Minecraft demo.
Besides - Sony promised a technical "deep dive" With Mark Cerny. If it was a technical deep dive and if they would support VRS, then he would mention it, no?
They might have it yes, but why didn't they mention it during their technical deep dive? Because?
mans don't tell me there is also PS 1-3 BC, but they didn't talk about it, because....? Lol

Can you point me to any proof of these claims or are you only guessing?

Matt a moderator here and a dev with basically a 100% track record also confirmed they both have VRS.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
mans don't tell me there is also PS 1-3 BC, but they didn't talk about it, because....? Lol
OK, at this point you've officially reached the level of trolling and can be safely ignored by all. In the future I'd recommend not making claims about things you have no knowledge of.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Might you elaborate on reasons why? Some detail or insight into why you share this opinion would be more productive.

Well first of all Geometry Engines are already present on current RDNA cards.

A GE is a four-component vector, floating-point processor for accomplishing three basic operations: matrix transformations, clipping and mapping to output device coordinates.

Mesh Shader can process chunks of a mesh in parallel. The threads that process each meshlet can work together using groupshared memory to read whatever format of input data and process the geometry, then output a small indexed primitive list. This means no more linear iterating through the entire mesh, and no limits imposed by the more rigid structure of previous shader stages. The MS outputs both per-vertex and per-primitive attributes, which allows the user to be more precise and space efficient.

IInstead of "brute forcing" all the calculations with the GE, the MS can do it in a more efficient way calculating only what's needed and also helping create better LOD on a scene.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

Matt a moderator here and a dev with basically a 100% track record also confirmed they both have VRS.

did Sony confirm full RDNA 2 including VRS? Did Sony confirm VRS? Why didn't they mention it during their deep dive? Why? Because they want a resetera mod to confirm it and not themselves?
I mean they might have it BUT currently it's not announced.
can you explain me why they didn't announce it during their technical deep dive at their supposed to be GDC talk? Wouldn't it be important for devs to know if they have it or not?

also, we had lots of insiders claim bullshit about PS5. Didn't thommy Fisher say something like 13 TFLOPS for PS5? And full PS1-PS3 BC? I wouldn't trust anything before Sony confirms it.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

He is full of shit. Him dragging in nVidia specs between cards as if its at all relevent to a completley different architecture from a completely different company is more than enough proof.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
twitter.com

Nadav Ziv on Twitter

“@pavomba @Carthemanbrah @WrexTheNerd I don’t think the split speed will be a problem, it’s a small part of the pool and and games need system memory too (on PC that’s sub-100GB/s DDR4 pool, 334GB/s is overkill for that). But I do wish the XSX had faster memory than 560GB/s, ray tracing loves...

twitter.com

Nadav Ziv on Twitter

“People think the lower TF figure is the #PlayStation5's weakness when it's actually the modest 448GB/s memory bandwidth. With a more powerful GPU than the 5700 XT, RT capabilities, a powerful CPU and 4K resolution the #PS5 might struggle with just 448GB/s.”

my god so is this the real bottleneck in the end?

The 5700XT is bandwidth limited and it uses the same RAM configuration so hopefully AMD fixed that with RDNA2. Might be why MS decided to go with faster, wider RAM.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well first of all Geometry Engines are already present on current RDNA cards.

A GE is a four-component vector, floating-point processor for accomplishing three basic operations: matrix transformations, clipping and mapping to output device coordinates.

Mesh Shader can process chunks of a mesh in parallel. The threads that process each meshlet can work together using groupshared memory to read whatever format of input data and process the geometry, then output a small indexed primitive list. This means no more linear iterating through the entire mesh, and no limits imposed by the more rigid structure of previous shader stages. The MS outputs both per-vertex and per-primitive attributes, which allows the user to be more precise and space efficient.

IInstead of "brute forcing" all the calculations with the GE, the MS can do it in a more efficient way calculating only what's needed and also helping create better LOD on a scene.
Aren't mesh shaders and primitive shaders basically the same thing? I know primitive shaders use the GE.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
did Sony confirm full RDNA 2 including VRS? Did Sony confirm VRS? Why didn't they mention it during their deep dive? Why? Because they want a resetera mod to confirm it and not themselves?
I mean they might have it BUT currently it's not announced.
can you explain me why they didn't announce it during their technical deep dive at their supposed to be GDC talk? Wouldn't it be important for devs to know if they have it or not?

also, we had lots of insiders claim bullshit about PS5. Didn't thommy Fisher say something like 13 TFLOPS for PS5? And full PS1-PS3 BC? I wouldn't trust anything before Sony confirms it.
Lol, we're back to "does the PS5 even have hardware RT? THEY DIDN'T MENTION IT" arguments.

I'm not sure if you actually watched the Deep Dive, or not, but it was painfully obvious they used it as a way to talk about the customizations they made to RDNA2 rather than just mention more of the same things that'd built into the architecture. Also since RT is such a big buzzword right now, of course they mentioned it. Again, because people refused to believe they had it even though mentioned it multiple times.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's with all these new accounts with double digit IQ tier posts?

Misterxmedia and Timdog's minions. Imagine 7 years of conspiracy theories and denials of a Microsoft's console being weaker than a Sony's one. Imagine the pent up anger and disappointments all these years. Now imagine how they are gonna behave now that finally Microsoft really have the stronger console (Not a pro version or years later). You will never hear the end of it. I mean they were populating twitter and forums spreading their shit, expect it to be 100 times worse this gen.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
He is full of shit. Him dragging in nVidia specs between cards as if its at all relevent to a completley different architecture from a completely different company is more than enough proof.

where am I talking shit? Did Sony confirm VRS or FULL RDNA 2.0? Where?

Why did AMD then do this blog post only for XBOX and NOT PS5:

"The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation"

- Sebastien Nussbaum is Senior Fellow and Corporate Vice President, Semi-Custom Products & Technologies at AMD.

community.amd.com

Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming with the Xbox Series X

I am excited to share some of the details that Microsoft announced today on Xbox® Series X, and how it is built upon the partnership with the team at AMD. Together, we have relentlessly pushed the innovation boundaries of gaming devices for the last 15 years. Today, AMD and Microsoft are...

if Sony had the exact same feature set and AMD RDNA 2.0 architecture, why haven't we seen a similar post from AMD? Why? Why are they even saying:The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation
Like why? If they are exactly the same then this sentence wouldn't make any sense at all. They would just leave that out.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
not really, but doesn't explain why Sony is overclocking so much.
The only reason they are doing this is to CLOSE THE TFLOPS GAP to series X.

if tflops doesn't matter, why did they overclock? Why not leave it at 9 tflops - if the difference isn't that big anyway - according to you?

I think as soon as we see the multiplatform games, we will that there is going to be a huge difference.
Especially with RT. RT is bound to CU, which series X has 44% more of compared to PS5.
But again, we will see when the games arrive.

Uh... They overclocked so the difference won't be so big... Is this Ken M? I feel like you're Ken M.

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Uh... They overclocked so the difference won't be so big... Is this Ken M? I feel like you're Ken M.

Lol but I thought CPU/GPU tflops don't matter! Only SSD matters! This is what a lot of people are saying - which is bullshit of course.

The only reason why they did the overclocking is because TFLOPS MATTER - they needed to close the TFLOPS GAP. that's it.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I guess I hurt some feelings, because I don't remember ever being quoted as much. The irony? I've ardently defended Sony in the past (I don't hide my post history, check it out). Being called a console warrior... SMH... I'm not the one taking what's being said as gospel! 😡

Sony's solution seems absolutely crazy to me. You might buy into the talk, but the moment Cerny mentioned the variable frequencies, it was like saying "our GPU solution is bad compared to the competition, but potentially even worse than that". Him not straight out saying how low it can go and what exactly those compromises will be, that's the shit that's worrisome. He spent a whole hour giving us vague hints.

Lowering the frequencies "a couple percent" will lower the power needed by 10 %... Okay, fine. How much exactly? He said it was for our benefit, but how could it be?

Lowering the frequency of the GPU by just 5 % would bring it from 2.23 GHz to about ~2.12 GHz. That's about ~9.77 tflops. Will it go even lower? Those are the answers I'm looking for, eventhough yes, he said he expects the GPU to mostly stay at those frequencies. I certainly hope so, but the vagueness isn't confidence inducing. And of course the higher frequency will have it's own benefits! That's the only thing that might somewhat close the gap.

Will the SSD be groundbreaking? Fuck yes. I'm just not excited about their APU. I truly hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
This. Where are the opinions from 3rd parties?
Are you guys just not reading past the first page
So, uh, about that "Sony Dev React" thing that is still going after 26 pages. From what I've gathered on this thread :

Kurt Margeneau (Naughty Dog) ---> Sony dev
Anthony Newman (Naughty Dog) --> Sony dev
James Cooper (no studio currently) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Andrew Maximov (Promethean AI) --> Not Sony dev anymore
Randy Pitchford (Gearbox) --> Not Sony dev
Matt Philips (Big Evil Corp) --> Not Sony dev
Mike Evans (ex AMD) --> Not Sony dev
Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) --> Not Sony dev
Andrea Pessino (Ready at Dawn) --> Not Sony dev
Dale North (composer) --> Not Sony dev
Olivier JT (VR audio) --> Not Sony dev
Jason Nuyens (Breakfall) --> Not Sony dev
There's also been posts from multiple developers in this same thread

Turkishflavor

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
OK, at this point you've officially reached the level of trolling and can be safely ignored by all. In the future I'd recommend not making claims about things you have no knowledge of.

again, did they confirm VRS? If so, where? Did they confirm full RDNA 2.0 feature set, if so, where?
In the Deep dive, why didn't he talk much about RT, but only global illumination? Because? Explain this before just dismissing. Just shows that you don't have any arguments against it.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
ok. So for example:

1. car a is driving 1mph and car b is driving 2mph
WOW 100% difference! HUGE DIFFERENCE

2. car a is driving 100mph and car b is driving 150mph.
meh. Only 50% difference. small difference.

Again, you guys need to look at the raw numbers. PS4 vs. XBOX ONE was only 0.5 tflops.
Now we are looking at UP TO 3 TFLOPS difference. This is a 6x times bigger TFLOPS difference looking at raw numbers.

and you have also to take into Account that Sony is achieving their TFLOPS number only by using overclocking. Just look at GPUs that already tried that, the difference is HUGE:

689972fb-152a-4109-9ffakce.png

7c7bd9f8-9ccc-459e-9ikkgi.jpeg

But ok, let's say you guys are right... then explain me something:

WHY is Sony overclocking their CPU/GPU so damn hard?! The frequency is INSANE! Nothing like we have ever seen from AMD. Ridiculous. I don't wanna know how hot and loud this machine is going To get... and variable frequencies? Multiplatform devs it's going to be a nightmare to optimize. Maybe they won't even bother and just lock the frequency and call it day...
We are potentially looking at another YLOD fiasco... why else did Sony take so long to reveals tflops? Why else didn't we even SEE the console? MS already has shown everything and even journalists were allowed to take the whole console in and out...

But again, we will see in the end how different the games will look and run like

How can anyone take this guy seriously.
Obviously has an agenda and ignored everything that was said up to this point in this thread.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Man don't tell me there is also PS 1-3 BC, but they didn't talk about it, because....? Lol

this SECRET SAUCE talk is getting ridiculous and beyond pathetic. This is even WORSE than the SECRET dGPU in Xbox one talk at the beginning of current gen. Crazy people.

WTF is wrong with you.. this must be a throw away account..

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Lol but I thought CPU/GPU tflops don't matter! Only SSD matters! This is what a lot of people are saying - which is bullshit of course.

The only reason why they did the overclocking is because TFLOPS MATTER - they needed to close the TFLOPS GAP. that's it.

It matters. A 15% difference matters but it's not too significant. If the PS5 was at 9%, the difference would be 30%. You get it? The difference would be larger so they overclocked it to make the difference smaller.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
This. Where are the opinions from 3rd parties?
there are none, only 1st party or former 1st party, or former Sony devs. You can guess why: damage control.
But again, we will see when the games will arrive how they will look and run different.
Jason Schrier's comments on the PS5 are based on conversations he's had with multiple third party developers.