• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
no.

the memory feeds the CUs, what matters is bandwitch/CUs

- PS5: 36 CUs, 448GB/s
- xbox: 52CUs 560GB/s and 336GB/s

PS5: 448/36 = 12,44GB/s

SX:

best case, 560/52 = 10,77GB/s
worst case, 336/52 = 6,46GB/s

memory bandwitch is better on PS5.

Lol. Is this making fun of some meme I'm not aware of? If not Deto I just want you to know that I too am drinking heavily while stuck at home but even if you strain rubbing alcohol through white bread or a sock I don't recommend drinking it till we're at day 10 of this whole thing

Aug 9, 2018
Are thermals not more predictable with static clocks?
Not sure but from what I understand from the presentation the usual approach is to have the frequencies constant and vary the power supplied based on the workload. The problem with that approach, again as I understand it, is that you can only guess what the maximum power consumption of the console is going to need because the workload varies from game to game, thus you can also only guess the maximum heat that will be generated by the console. So if you guess it wrong and you design your cooling solution around that guess, you end up with a noisy console because fans are working harder to keep your console cool.

The approach that they took for PS5 is to have a set of power level/budget which means the power supplied is constant and the frequencies are the ones that will vary based on the workload. They then based their cooling solution around that power budget which should be more effective because it eliminates much of the guesswork on how much heat will be generated by the console.

At least that is how I understood it, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I wonder why more devs aren't speaking about the differences? The specs are out. I remember once the specs for both the PS4 and X1 were out, devs were merciless in their critique of MS's, then, underpowered console.

Sony seems to have lifted the NDA for first party devs but not for others.

According to Dictator some of them made mention that they have to prioritize either GPU or CPU with preset modes

forum.beyond3d.com

Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

So I just thought I should look into how well does RDNA scale with clocks and here is actually interesting benchmark on YT with 5700 (36CU) and 5700 (XT). In this case, 5700 is clocked at 2150MHz (9.9TF) and 5700XT is clocked at 1750MHz (8.9TF). Results are surprising because it seems XT...

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Thank God for this thread.

I just want to be educated. The other PS5 threads are so toxic flooded with concerns. Luckily this one cleaned up after a rough start.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
please take a 101 in a related field.
Is this math your invention? In which universe is this reasonable??

Lol. Is this making fun of some meme I'm not aware of? If not Deto I just want you to know that I too am drinking heavily while stuck at home but even if you strain rubbing alcohol through white bread or a sock I don't recommend drinking it till we're at day 10 of this whole thing

It was already discussed here yesterday

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 System Architecture Deep Dive |OT| Secret Agent Cerny

Yes but funny things PS5 has more bandwidth per CU than Xbox Series X 560/52=10.76 GB/s 448/36=12.44 GB/s But I think the two system are a little bit short on bandwidth. Edit: I don't take into account the CPU because this is the same constraint for PS5 and XSX. Probably too expensive to...
Yes but funny things PS5 has more bandwidth per CU than Xbox Series X

560/52=10.76 GB/s
448/36=12.44 GB/s

But I think the two system are a little bit short on bandwidth.

Edit: I don't take into account the CPU because this is the same constraint for PS5 and XSX.

Probably too expensive to bump the memory speed.
Higher per CU, but lower per TF (94%).

We already know that Navi could probably benefit from more bandwidth, and now we've tested Zen 2 BW needs on top of that 448GB/s.

The Flute benchmark makes me wonder whether they tested the additional speed and actually found the performance improvement wasn't worth the cost. Or perhaps supply and economic factors forced their hand.

The core issue is that they only addressed one half of the problem. Yes, we have an ultra fast SSD with custom decompression hardware, but the interfaces between RAM and GPU are almost the exact same (minus some small improvements like DCC). I'm sure the cache scrubbers help a bit too, but there's just no way to get decompression that can scale to the realm of DDR bandwidths.

Idle musing: I wonder if in standby/suspend, the GDDR6 is completely suspended and the PS5 works solely out of the flash for background tasks?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Sony seems to have lifted the NDA for first party devs but not for others.

According to Dictator some of them made mention that they have to prioritize either GPU or CPU with preset modes

forum.beyond3d.com

Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

So I just thought I should look into how well does RDNA scale with clocks and here is actually interesting benchmark on YT with 5700 (36CU) and 5700 (XT). In this case, 5700 is clocked at 2150MHz (9.9TF) and 5700XT is clocked at 1750MHz (8.9TF). Results are surprising because it seems XT...
It's as I feared. What an absolute mess. If the NDA is still in place, it's for a reason. They know devs will criticize this.

There is nothing about this that doesn't scream "Fuck, Microsoft caught us off-guard". So they overclock the shit out of their system in order to keep up... I just can't, man.

I don't trust anything they say. I'll be waiting for the comparisons and the NDA to lift. What a fucking shitshow.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Are thermals not more predictable with static clocks?
No, it seems to be the other way around. To my understanding PS5's thermals don't shift but the CPU/GPU frequency does. This is the other way around in current gen and XSX. That's the reason for those varying clocks. Assuming that the cooling solution is good enough, the console should stay silent as the thermals are always the same and thus very predictable. This results in those 2% drops in peak performance.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It was already discussed here yesterday

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 System Architecture Deep Dive |OT| Secret Agent Cerny

Yes but funny things PS5 has more bandwidth per CU than Xbox Series X 560/52=10.76 GB/s 448/36=12.44 GB/s But I think the two system are a little bit short on bandwidth. Edit: I don't take into account the CPU because this is the same constraint for PS5 and XSX. Probably too expensive to...
But PS5's CUs are clocked (up to) 22% higher than XSX. Therefore each of the PS5 CUs will be utilising (up to) 22% more bandwidth than each equivalent XSX CU. Which makes a mockery of that pointless calculation.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
All I know is that the PS5 can't or shouldn't be the same price as the Series X. It's going to be a bitch to market a piece of hardware that has advantages besides the specs for them. What people will see is "it's weaker and same price as the strongest one".
Sony has made a point about wanting people to go to next gen fast and made references to have a good balance between quality / price.
No wonder why they want MS to announce the price first honestly.

Anyway, it's still going to sellout for like a year at least.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's as I feared. What an absolute mess. If the NDA is still in place, it's for a reason. They know devs will criticize this.

There is nothing about this that doesn't scream "Fuck, Microsoft caught us off-guard". So they overclock the shit out of their system in order to keep up... I just can't, man.

I don't trust anything they say. I'll be waiting for the comparisons and the NDA to lift. What a fucking shitshow.

Isn't it just because they still haven't had the proper launch yet? They are going to struggle to get a show going with all the travel restrictions etc. The last thing they want is the games getting out before they can launch.

Jan 20, 2019

You peopel need to fucking chill, if there is somethinf bad with with the ps5 you will know before you can buy the consolem

If you dont like what you see, then dont buy itz that easy.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

It's just as likely there's some additional cool things they aren't ready to talk about yet, no reason to freak out.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

😬 take a deep breath

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Next gen copy pasta?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017

What are you talking about exactly? You don't just overclock so high and design a system around variable frequencies as a response to MS. There isn't enough time to do it. Stop exaggerating and wait for actual game footage to judge. For now, it appears to be an extremely powerful machine with a TON of innovation so its questionable if it's even weaker.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017

Maybe you should go out to relax a bit but then I remember we have global pandemic going on righ t now

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

Copy pasta of a copy pasta? Wrap it up, Sony.

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly can't believe how some of you revert to 12 year olds with stuff like this.

The concern trolling got old a long time ago.

I can't wait for these consoles to be released and for all the fanboys to finally realize that both consoles are amazing and that their dumb hot takes were nothing but bullshit.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly can't believe how some of you revert to 12 year oles with stuff like this.

The concern trolling got old a long time ago.

I can't wait for these consoles to be released and for all the fanboys to finally realize that both consoles are amazing and that their dumb hoy takes were nothing but bullshit.
yeah that comment was hyperbolic as hell. We have yet to see games, the system, anything but specs and people are screaming doom and gloom lmao.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
How is it a game changer when there will be SSD's that fast for pc's by the time it releases.

No dev is making a PC game around that speed that Sony's SSD provides though. Plus it will be a small market for when it does release to the average consumer.
I mean as soon as it comes out im upgrad my PC to get it but how many others will too?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
How is it a game changer when there will be SSD's that fast for pc's by the time it releases.
Because it's not about faster loading screens. SSDs as standard means developers can start building games without hard drives in mind (once the obligatory cross-gen period is over) and that opens up gameplay and world-building possibilities that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Also the PS5 has a LOT of custom hardware (and presumably API's) that massively reduce bottlenecks needed to take advantage of that SSD speed. I promise you a PC won't be able to handle moving as much data around without massive CPU usage.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about exactly? You don't just overclock so high and design a system around variable frequencies as a response to MS. There isn't enough time to do it. Stop exaggerating and wait for actual game footage to judge. For now, it appears to be an extremely powerful machine with a TON of innovation so its questionable if it's even weaker.

There's a chance that the PS5 is the more powerful console? That would be strange but I suppose time will tell.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Righhhhhht... did you even watch the DF video?, or are they biased in your opinion?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
What? No. The XSX is clearly the more powerful of the two. The PS5 however has a lot of things going for it that should not disappoint people when it comes out.

Well this is what I assumed, hence calling the idea strange, but it's not my style to just call "bullshit". I'm always open to explanation, especially considering I can follow tech discussion decently but I still have a lot to learn.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Well this is what I assumed, hence calling the idea strange, but it's not my style to just call "bullshit". I'm always open to explanation, especially considering I can follow tech discussion decently but I still have a lot to learn.

The major differences will be seen by 1st party devs on both consoles. Sony's SSD architecture and how it will be utilize should be interesting, since it just doesn't effect load times. Worse case scenario we see prettier games, better case we see how the SSD utilizes assist streaming be it for textures/AI/pathing/etc since you can just do more with it. Best case, no idea I'm not a dev so I cannot fathom just how much better a game like HZD could be due to it.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
The major differences will be seen by 1st party devs on both consoles. Sony's SSD architecture and how it will be utilize should be interesting, since it just doesn't effect load times. Worse case scenario we see prettier games, better case we see how the SSD utilizes assist streaming be it for textures/AI/pathing/etc since you can just do more with it. Best case, no idea I'm not a dev so I cannot fathom just how much better a game like HZD could be due to it.

Not a dev either and not particularly savvy on these topics but HZD could have had a larger, more open world that didn't have to be sectioned off by mountains. Not sure what else beyond that. Being able to ride a Stormbird around the map maybe?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

This is the exact type of hyperbole I'm talking about smh

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

😂

Grow up.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
Of course both consoles have been built with devs. "Developers" certainly aren't a single entity who just needs and wants a certain kind of console. There's different opinions and preferences, and this is the result. What I'm saying is that there's no way that a device built like this has "overkill niche features" and it's the same with XSX. PS5 ssd has been certainly requested by a great amount of devs and MS sure as hell is aware of this. Sony and MS just wen't to different directions with their preferences based on dev responses, because who wouldn't want the best possible CPU, GPU and SSD, but you have to make a choice and take BOM into consideration when making a competitive console.

It doesn't make any logical sense to me either because I haven't seen what can be done with. SSD's have never been utilised in this sense before so who are we to say when at the same time industry experts praise them as the biggest thing in 20 years. If the biggest leap in hardware is 100% faster than your competitor, there's a chance it might mean something. Or not. Anyway, it will most certainly take some time to fully utilise them, but that has been the same with every generation.

I'm not making anything up myself, just basing this on dev response and what has been described with benefits to load times, asset streaming and lod in general by others than Sony. You just write like you already know better than Cerny, all the Sony engineers and devs. Might be that it doesn't make any difference in the end, but based on everything that's just silly to assume at this point with zero actual knowledge.

We have seen what SSD's are capable of based on Start Ciztizen and bar loading times and loading in more textures at higher fidelity quicker there isn't anything more secretive or unknown. A SSD of a speed PS5 built is clearly overkill based on the fact that when haven't even adopted SSD's as a standard for game development let alone a Gen4 NVME which is a 3x generational leap nor will it for the foreseeable future. The SSD has a specific function that doesn't play an essential part like the CPU or GPU where more is ALWAYS better not the case for SSD's.

Hyping up the SSD as the biggest thing in the last 20 year alone tells you how much horsesh*t they are trying to feed people when in reality Ray Tracing is the frontier, but instead choose to lie through their teeth, which tells me their are 100% doing damage control and trying to spin the narrative.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
We have seen what SSD's are capable of based on Start Ciztizen and bar loading times and loading in more textures at higher fidelity quicker there isn't anything more secretive or unknown. A SSD of a speed PS5 built is clearly overkill based on the fact that when haven't even adopted SSD's as a standard for game development let alone a Gen4 NVME which is a 3x generational leap nor will it for the foreseeable future. The SSD has a specific function that doesn't play an essential part like the CPU or GPU where more is ALWAYS better not the case for SSD's.

Hyping up the SSD as the biggest thing in the last 20 year alone tells you how much horsesh*t they are trying to feed people when in reality Ray Tracing is the frontier, but instead choose to lie through their teeth, which tells me their are 100% doing damage control and trying to spin the narrative.
We got another one who thinks they know better. 🤣😂

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

SSD is absolutely the biggest thing in the last 20 years, ever since the switch to optical disc based media game design has had to be built around slow loading data. With the switch to SSD's developers will have those constraints lifted and game design will benefit greatly.

In terms of graphics RT is pretty amazing, but games are more than just graphics and SSD is a much bigger benefit overall. Thankfully both consoles have one.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Hey, you don't know what you're talking about.

revben

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Also the PS5 has a LOT of custom hardware (and presumably API's) that massively reduce bottlenecks needed to take advantage of that SSD speed. I promise you a PC won't be able to handle moving as much data around without massive CPU usage.
Actual they will as XSX storage and data streaming API will go to pc.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

Devs: We really are happy and excited to make games for the PS5. Great stuff there.
DF: The console is a great piece of hardware
Random Era poster: NOOOOOO!!!

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Actual they will as XSX storage and data streaming API will go to pc.
API improvements are great, but don't make up for the lack of custom hardware. Without dedicated decompression hardware you either have to load uncompressed assets (reducing the effective I/O throughput) or take the processing hit from decompressing on the CPU. And PS5 has more custom hardware than just decompression for I/O.

revben

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Exactly Star Citizen does a lot of the things you talk about that SSD purposely bring. There is a DF video on it. It is design around SSD only. Guess what, it can still run on a HDD, just with heavy hitching. Star Citizen is the peak of streaming tech and it can run on a 1 GB/s SSD.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wat.

Star Citizen is essentially unplayable without an SSD, hence it's a minimal requirement. It's not just massive loading time differences you get without an SSD, but constant freezes, stutters, frame rate tanks, streaming issues and more.

Essentially Star Citzens entire game worlds, assets, limits of velocity, travel, design, instance zones, frames of reference, physicalisation and so on are dictated by the minimal SSD requirement. The game would literally not be possible without that requirement, or would instead be an absolute technical mess or different game altogether.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018

Since you are a dev and you do know more than me please explain to me how revolutionary of a role the SSD will play when loading a Call of Duty map be it a new map or say Firing Range/Nuketown and how those maps would be designed differently or expanded up on with a SSD. And since those are games under your studios umbrela you would have specific insight.

I am genuinely interested.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is the console war juice that we all crave

revben

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
API improvements are great, but don't make up for the lack of custom hardware. Without dedicated decompression hardware you either have to load uncompressed assets (reducing the effective I/O throughput) or take the processing hit from decompressing on the CPU. And PS5 has more custom hardware than just decompression for I/O.
Msft rule the PC world, you think SSD makers won't put in those controllers to follow Msft lead?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Msft rule the PC world, you think SSD makers won't put in those controllers to follow Msft lead?
That custom hardware isn't part of the SSD though, it's part of the APU (in PS5 at least). No, I don't think SSD makers will specifically design their multi-purpose SSD's specifically for gaming which would drive up costs. PC's will operate as they always have where if you don't have the custom hardware you brute force your way past it.