• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 8, 2018
This is the most amazing post.
It's not surprising that rather than attempting to address the content of the post. People are ad hominem attacking the identity of the poster and at the same time appealing to authority to no one other than current and ex sony devs.

My god we have literally numerous of third party developers tweets posted with their actual names saying the exact same thing in this thread. We have Jason saying that NOT Sony developers are saying the same things.

And we have this.... an anonymous post from god knows who in a comment section and that is some how now more reliable.

Why don't we go look at 4chan and paste bin developers while we are at it...

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to change subjects, but a noob question:

All this new information about specs and architecture for both consoles, affects the PC hardware makers in anyway?

I just wonder what would take for PCs to keep up with these new machines.
HDDs will finally be on their way out as an installation drives. M.2 prices may also start dropping with mass manufacturing. And considering Sony managed to push RDNA2 to beyond 2.2Ghz on air, this bodes well for next-gen AMD GPUs.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fabricated nonsense, the XSX has it's own dedicated audio chip and doesnt use the GPU.

I wish all these warriors will take acouple seconds to do a google search before making and spreading propaganda.
This is especially funny when you consider the Drake meme from thuway on the same page...Edit: Or last page ;)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
A question for everyone in this thread to ask themselves. How often do you see developers shit on a console? How often do you see developers even be critical of a console?

The old adage you don't shit where you make your living comes to mind. PlayStation is the market leader.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing other members
That Exodia dude has to be a troll. Noway he is real

plow

Oct 28, 2017
A question for everyone in this thread to ask themselves. How often do you see developers shit on a console? How often do you see developers even be critical of a console?

The old adage you don't shit where you make your living comes to mind. PlayStation is the market leader.

Yes but you can also just stfu when noone is askin you. They decided to tweet these things on their own.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how a SDD has become the center piece for hyping up a system for next generation, I must have woken up in another dimension. The whole gaming world gets hyped over new GPU's and CPU's yet here we are talking about a SSD somehow changing the gaming world forever.
because we know how TFs benefit a console but we don't know how SSD does maybe? Yes, it is changing the gaming world forever. It is something new.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to people on various forums, comments sections, etc is what led to this 'underwhelming' reception to the PS5 in the first place. While some of his analysis and comments could certainly be fair or have kernels of truth, it's hard to really put a ton of stock into what contains especially a heavy amount of conjecture. We have zero knowledge of who this person is other than what he claims.

Anyways, related to the actual OP, it's not especially shocking to see a lot of first party devs talk about their excitement for the PS5, will just have to see what experiences they create with it before we can get excited.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

This is Alex Jones level conspiracy projection.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

There's no shortage of shit and battles here at the moment, it would have been nice to read a thread with some positive thoughts on what the new generation console could do. i mean from people who will actually make stuff with it, not forum posters etc.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
no, 5700 at 2 Ghz is near 220 watts, RDNA 2 at 2,2 for the 30% clocks improvement should be near 200 the gpu alone. Add cpu wattage and other components...

That's for an entire 5700 graphics card in a PC. An APU inside a console/laptop doesn't require as much power and has less added components etc.

I'm not saying it's going to draw a tiny amount of power but your use of a desktop graphics card as a frame of reference is inaccurate.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is especially funny when you consider the Drake meme from thuway on the same page...Edit: Or last page ;)
I mean I agree with you, I never once claimed that XSX didn't have a audio chip and I actually prefer Atmos since my theater will be wired that way.

My Drake meme is a joke that merely reflects the nonsense this thread is devolving into.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Any developers impressed with the consoles and taking to titter to push phony narrative are simply pushing an agenda. how do people write this stuff

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

It's always so funny people like yourself don't ever think of the PC in this context. If this were the case, no one would ever praise anything but the PC since it's the most powerful and flexible platform out there.

Any developers impressed with the consoles and taking to titter to push phony narrative are simply pushing an agenda. how do people write this stuff

If you were a Republican and for the past eight years, you got angry at the simplest things because you were smoked in president elections and you had all this pent up, repressed irritation over how the events of the past eight years have went, perhaps you'd embrace fake news as your weapon too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Interesting comments from someone in the Dev industry in comments section in the latest TheVerge article on PS5 v Xbox XS Link to the article:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...ries-x-comparison-specs-features-release-date

He says Xbox XSX is more powerful and easier to develop for, and Microsoft caught Sony off guard with their initial announcement and they have been scrambling ever since.

Link to the user so you don't have to trawl though hundreds of comments:

https://www.theverge.com/users/JR78#activity

Some extracts:
I have been wondering about the following:
The SSD bandwidth is nice, but will not be all that noticeable to most people. Think of a loading screen. 10GB of data going into the system memory on that loading screen would take would take about 1.25 seconds on the PS5 to load with compression techniques and 2.08 seconds on the Xbox.

Once you get over 2GB/s the load speeds to fill RAM are negligible for most people.
For the game to run into a bottleneck with the XSX's SSD, I would imagine that it would need to load in data to the tune of more 2.4 GB/s in a scene. Is that a problem? I don't know anything about the data rates devs are expecting to work with: will 2.4 GB/s be a limiting factor? It's a jump of multiple dozens of factors, whereas the previous generation (Blu-Ray at 9 MB/s to HD at 100 MB/s (?) before accounting for random access overhead) had a smaller jump by a decent bit. Of course, devs ran into IO throughput problems this gen, so it'll be interesting to see if they will expand to fill the speed they are given. I do not have a clue if they will or not.

By the same token:
"10GB of RAM on the Xbox is 112 GB/s faster than the PS5. This is where the high fidelity textures, models, etc would all be loaded. These have much faster throughput through the APU unit because of this, leading to fewer missed cycles and more efficient processing. It is likely that the graphical differences will be greater than what the 18% difference in raw power tells us.

The improved I/O really only relates to loading into memory, but beyond 2GB/s the differences become fairly negligible. With their compression setup, it is likely the Xbox can fill all available RAM in a theoretical 2.7 seconds versus 1.6 seconds for the PS5. Most people will not care about an extra second.
Do we have an idea what RAM bandwidth speeds would be necessary for supporting the GPUs in these systems without any bottlenecking from RAM bandwidth whatsoever? From a quick google search, an RTX 2080 Ti has a 616 GB/s (13.45 TFLOPS), the regular RTX 2080 448 GB/s (10.07 TFLOPS). The RTX 2080 regular seems like a close match for PS5 in raw numbers, and the XSX has somewhat less TFLOPS and less bandwidth than the RTX 2080 Ti. Then, there's the question of whether any of the 336 GB/s data is used for GPU processing: the claim made is that it isn't, but would instead be used for different tasks like audio. Do we know if that fills up the 3.5GB that is free, or does it make more sense that the GPU will draw from the slower memory as well? But even if the claim is true, then still the ratio of TFLOPS to RAM bandwidth seems almost balanced between the two systems. Now, the question is: the claim from that post is that the difference becomes bigger than the 15% FLOPS deficit due to the slower bandwidth. Is this really the case? A related question is whether my ratio talk(FLOPS per RAM bandwidth) is a valid way of looking at it. The ratio is 22.95 GFLOPS per GB/s for PS5 vs. XSX's 21.71 GFLOPS per GB/s (where lower would mean better). Really close ratios, so the difference seems negligible (again, if this is a valid way of looking at it).

Once again, I have no idea what the answers are to this question, so perhaps someone who has some more technical knowledge can weigh in on this?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
3tc8c1.jpg
Ahahahaha

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Console warriors hate this guy!

If you were a Republican and for the past eight years, you got angry at the simplest things because you were smoked in president elections and you had all this pent up, repressed irritation over how the events of the past eight years have went, perhaps you'd embrace fake news as your weapon too.
Salty AF

Console wars is serious stuff man.

Btw that avatar is gold. :D
Shamelessly stolen from a now deleted reddit post haha

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
First party games make up maybe ~5% of a console's total library, if that. If the overwhelming majority of games that come out on the console don't benefit from the design, the design was a poor choice in my book.

Right, but if the PS5 is going to lose in resolution and frame rate comparisons, what does asset quality really matter? I don't want games that LOOK good but RUN worse, y'know? Frame rate and resolution are important - playing Control on my base PS4 was like having a dental drill jammed through my eyeballs because of the frame rate.

And that's a very fair point, but in the last few years there have been some revolutionary rendering techniques and add-ons that don't seem to be that taxing on the GPU (Quixel Photorealism in Unreal Engine just has a GPU minimum requirement of a GTX 1070), so it's possible this is where Sony could benefit.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018

All this new information about specs and architecture for both consoles, affects the PC hardware makers in anyway?

Last year's high end PC's are this generation's consoles.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Why are people so furious that developers seem to love the PS5?
Isn't it interesting that the most console warring fan boy nonsense is coming when PS5 gets positive coverage, not when anything is really being said about XSX? It's like there's a group of people who had their testicles prime to explode over bad PS5 news and now that they're not getting it they're in a tizzy.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Yes but you can also just stfu when noone is askin you. They decided to tweet these things on their own.
Well for starters as has already been pointed out, most of the people tweeting about this are Sony employees or former Sony employees.

But as for the industry at large, there is just nothing remarkable about people wanting to give a shout out to the big guy on the block who is the biggest player in their industry. It's like Spotify tweeting out congratulations to Drake or Taylor Swift on their new album. Did they have to do that? No, but artists like that are a huge part of their business, so why not?

This is a reach if I've ever seen one. lol

Nice try though. You know exactly what I was getting at and there is nothing mysterious or conspiratorial about it.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Isn't it interesting that the most console warring fan boy nonsense is coming when PS5 gets positive coverage, not when anything is really being said about XSX? It's like there's a group of people who had their testicles prime to explode over bad PS5 news and now that they're not getting it they're in a tizzy.
Because they are console warrior fanboys that can't belive developers are not doing it for their preferred one.
Its so childish. Nobody is taking away credit from microsoft by praising the PS5.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well for starters as has already been pointed out, most of the people tweeting about this are Sony employees or former Sony employees.

But as for the industry at large, there is just nothing remarkable about people wanting to give a shout out to the big guy on the block who is the biggest player in their industry. It's like Spotify tweeting out congratulations to Drake or Taylor Swift on their new album. Did they have to do that? No, but artists like that are a huge part of their business, so why not?

They could speak anonymously to someone like Jason and be critical of it without putting their name out their publicly. Negative news play much better (as far as traction goes) in the public eye than positive news.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
My god we have literally numerous of third party developers tweets posted with their actual names saying the exact same thing in this thread. We have Jason saying that NOT Sony developers are saying the same things.

And we have this.... an anonymous post from god knows who in a comment section and that is some how now more reliable.

Why don't we go look at 4chan and paste bin developers while we are at it...
I mean, that's how confirmation bias works.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Publishers like Ubisoft, EA, Bamco, Square or Take Two will keep the same baseline as today for XX month and PC minimal spec will raise gradually. The "problem" for the PC isn't that technical than having enough customers with the adequate hardware aligned with consoles, because contrary to 2013, this time the console hardware is on top, making bruteforcing less evident.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They could speak anonymously to someone like Jason and be critical of it without putting their name out their publicly. Negative news play much better (as far as traction goes) in the public eye than positive news.
Well to be clear, I'm not saying they should be saying anything critical about the PS5. It looks like it's going to be great.

The only point I'm making is that I wouldn't take these positive tweets as confirmation that the PS5 is remarkable and going to revolutionize the gaming world as we know it with it's god like SSD technology. It's a fine console and I'm excited to own one, but there is no reason to try and be spinning it as somehow more special or incredible than the Series X which looks every bit as impressive if not more so.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Why are people so furious that developers seem to love the PS5?

Because they've attached all of their internet ego to the idea that a very specific metric you can measure hardware performance by is THE point system by which the new consoles (one of which they have an emotional allegiance to) will do battle, and only that metric can be used to determine which one is best. Any other means of measuring their power or worth is invalid and if anyone says otherwise they will whine and complain and say everyone is moving goal posts, that journalists and developers are lying when they say TF's aren't the measure anymore, that their console of choice is still the clear "winner", and that anyone that says otherwise are the ones that are "console warring".

I don't have any good analogies but it's like a sports match that ended up in a draw but they're trying to yell at the ref and plead to them that they technically should win etc. and are now mad and lashing out.

EDIT: and this is coming from someone who is still trying to wrap his head around some of the technical bits and REALLY wants to get an idea of the performance/visuals gulf between the two systems when it comes to 3rd parties, but is ultimately buying a PS5 and only a PS5 due to cost, ecosystem, purchased library, etc. so whatever happens happens.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

This is a reach if I've ever seen one. lol

Nice try though. You know exactly what I was getting at and there is nothing mysterious or conspiratorial about it.
There are a half dozen posts who aren't even reading the OP AND writing off impressions because 'lol these ppl work at Sony'. Forgetting Billy Khan who is from ID Software, developers from Breakfall, or the reporting from Jason Schrier.

Moreover, there's another half dozen posts who've convinced themselves the SSD is only about loading times. When there is a tweet in the OP that has a graph demonstrating the challenges of high fidelity assets in scene due to streaming complications.

Than there's your post - who is asking us to question the legitimacy of all these people - because this is a grand delusion of workplace Patriotism.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
When it was stated those comments were the absolute truth?

Even if we don't have that user verified as an actual dev, it's still an interesting, different, perspective as he's not saying nonsense things at all, and as we're currently in a gaming discussion forum, we're just discussing it.
interesting stuff that anyone of us can deduce seeing specs. Shouldn't be basis of any discussion just like random Pastebin. Yes if there is an actual developer saying this then it would be interesting but i don't think any of the developers want to burn bridges over such stuff

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
No, not really.

When has a developer ever came out during the lead up to new hardware and said negative things about said hardware?

They have to sell games, it serves them no purpose to not exude excitement over the new hardware.

That's not to say they are lying, but obviously they will pretty much always be positive at the prospect of new hardware.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
No, not really.

When has a developer ever came out during the lead up to new hardware and said negative things about said hardware?

They have to sell games, it serves them no purpose to not exude excitement over the new hardware.

That's not to say they are lying, but obviously they will pretty much always be positive at the prospect of new hardware.
They could just say nothing at all. Devs are not marketing machines for platform holders. They don't have to say anything at all.