• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Which will help with load times, not with better resolution or frame rates. It is not going to help with the TF gap between the two consoles. The GPU still needs to render the data fed to it by the SSD. Being fed the data by the SSD faster won't magically make the PS5 be able to push out more geometry.

Faster SSD can mean better graphics.

Since you can use higher quality textures, assured by the fact that you can swap it out of ram exactly when you need to.

Godfall dev cited this reason for better textures actually :)

Joo

May 25, 2018
ok, but i would like to hear from devs why teraflops are not all that is important. If their answer is only because of SSD it wont be valid for me as many of my games will be multis. But, on the other hand if teraflops dont mind because we have two times the L1 in the CU or we process concurrently integer and floats... then i could believe them. But Cerny mentioned all the secret sauces in the presentation and there was none to believe that.
Yep, me too. We just have to wait to hear from them and actually see the games. I'm just saying that imo this kind of praising reaction from the industry towards PS5 can't just be shrugged of as nothing when at the same time the raw specs would suggest quite clearly that XSX has the edge. There shouldn't be this kind of reaction if the spec sheets tell the whole story.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Faster SSD can mean better graphics.

Since you can use higher quality textures, assured by the fact that you can swap it out of ram exactly when you need to.

Godfall dev cited this reason for better textures actually :)
What you are explaining is exactly the same thing XSX's SSD does. In fact DF's article about XSX uses the same wording, using the fast SSD memory as fast loading ram for high quality textures, etc. People are trying to act like this is some PS5 special sauce when the XSX SSD does the same thing.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
What you are explaining is exactly the same thing XSX's SSD does. In fact DF's article about XSX uses the same wording, using the fast SSD memory as fast loading ram for high quality textures, etc. People are trying to act like this is some PS5 special sauce when the XSX SSD does the same thing.

Ofc the next Xbox will do that, Im not disputing the fact. Series X SSD is incredibly fast even compared to high end PCs.

But your post implied SSD cant affect graphics which is where I disagree.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
If the 1st party devs are excited.. we all should be also.

They are the guys who made the best exclusives last gen.. we can all agree that we already saw this last gen.. more power doesn't mean better games.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Developers who work for Sony enthusiastically react to PS5 specs.

Who would have thought?
It's also interesting how the SSD is the main focus to those who likely already planned on getting a PS5 in the first place since that is the area the PS5 beats the Series X. Why is it so hard for some to just say both machines are going to be great and that it looks like a real generation leap from the current gen? I guess until we don't have multiple consoles we will always have console warriors.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's also interesting how the SSD is the main focus to those who likely already planned on getting a PS5 in the first place since that is the area the PS5 beats the Series X. Why is it so hard for some to just say both machines are going to be great and that it looks like a real generation leap from the current gen? I guess until we don't have multiple consoles we will always have console warriors.
Developers who are the origin of much of the excitement surrounding the SSD and the innovation going on in the PS5 stack in general are not console warriors. The SSD in discussion just helps bring things into balance, because it's important not to just focus on one thing but the whole package. Both consoles will be awesome and worthy upgrades, but it's also not that hard to give credit where credit is due, or to support devs in their enthusiasm about revolutionary tech.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
You know that the XSX's SSD does the exact same thing, right? MS and DF both said as much during the XSX breakdown a few days ago. The XSX SSD effectively becomes RAM as well. That's why this is being so overblown. All these things the the PS5 SSD can do are also things the XSX SSD can do.

Did you watch DF's PS5 tech breakdown and what makes the SSD solution so unique? It doesn't seem like you did.

Is it just me or are people seriously trying to downplay the PS5 solution in favor of promoting Xsx. Are we at this again? Console warring? Both consoles far outstrip what we have today. XsX is more powerful without question, but the PS5's design may lead to interesting scenarios based off of what devs are saying. I can't wait to see what devs do with both consoles.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
When they see Xbox's SSD transfer rates /s

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

I have said this multiple times and it goes ignored, but yes, as gamers we win regardless since both consoles are a substantial leap and are filled with wonderful innovations that will benefit all gamers and developers.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not an expert, but here's my understanding, and some of what Cerny covered in his talk.

source.gif

This is Horizon Zero Dawn. As you move the camera, it loads the newly needed assets from the HDD into the RAM, and dumps the assets no longer needed.

The game creators are limited on how dense the world is from an asset # and complexity and the variety and quality of textures standpoint, to guarantee that they can be loaded in time for time so that the world seems continuous. You can only make worlds as detailed as can be loaded. That's advantage #1, As storage speed increases devs can stream in more data (assets, textures, etc.) resulting in more detailed and varied worlds.

You'll also notice that there's a two cones. The narrow one is the field of view. Everything outside of that FOV is in the RAM, but not being used. The wider blue cone is fully loaded assets ready to be looked at, and the detail outside the cone is partially loaded assets.

The wider blue cone and all the assets outside of it are actually taking space in the RAM, but not being used. They need to be pre-loaded into RAM to offset the slow storage speed. That's advantage #2. The faster the storage is, the smaller the amount of pre-loaded predictive assets in RAM needs to be. Faster storage should free up more RAM for world detail in the field of view.

GG tested a flying mount, but they had to scrap it because the HDD couldn't keep up with the movement speed.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if by "visual fidelity" you meant resolution. I meant it as the quality and detail of the world. More ram doesn't help with resolution.
Got it. Yea your edit clarified what I wanted to know. Makes sense.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
User Warned: Console wars
I don't know how a SDD has become the center piece for hyping up a system for next generation, I must have woken up in another dimension. The whole gaming world gets hyped over new GPU's and CPU's yet here we are talking about a SSD somehow changing the gaming world forever.

My mind is freaking blown as these are delusion levels I have never before seen.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's too be expected, after this SSD angle is exhausted it will move over to the superior audio.

Also why streaming has some spooked, no epeen when you can play the game on any device : )

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but I was there in 2013. It is hilarious to see the reversal from the old SDF.
Understood. I first thought you meant that there wouldnt be much damage control if it was the other way around (as in the Xbox Series X having less TFLOPS). I do remember seeing a bit of that back in the days regarding Xbox One, so i dont think it would be much different. But reading your post again, i guess you were only referring to how the so-called SDF would react? :P =)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Developers who are the origin of much of the excitement surrounding the SSD and the innovation going on in the PS5 stack in general are not console warriors. Both consoles will be awesome and worthy upgrades, but it's also not that hard to give credit where credit is due, or to support devs in their enthusiasm.

Credit will be given when we see things in action and I never implied that the devs are the console warriors. I said those who likely already planned on getting a PS5 will be mostly focused on the SSD as it's Sony's main advantage now. All the talk about how meaningless teraflops are now is kind of ironic.

I have said this multiple times and it goes ignored, but yes, as gamers we win regardless since both consoles are a substantial leap and are filled with wonderful innovations that will benefit all gamers and developers.

I have also said this repeatedly, most games for the first year or two won't really be taking advatange of either syetem fully. It happens every gen and likely why Microsoft said they will continue to release all of their games on current systems for the first year or two and mostly the same will happen on the PS5 aside from a few exclusives. Until PC games also require SSD's we will continue to be held back by that platform and also the base PS4 and base Xbox One. There is just too many existing customers out there to simply ignore and drop support for. Games take years to create and now in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars. The million dollar question, will Sony finally offer a big AAA game at launch that will be exclusive to the PS5 such as Horizon 2? I hope so but I doubt it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Developers who work for Sony enthusiastically react to PS5 specs.

Who would have thought?
They have (like devs posted here) strong history. Add VR to boot which only PS5 will offer. There's business interests here so honestly not a unsurprising comment.

You guys those are some embarrassing posts.
Whats your deflection going to be with Jason's comment?

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I don't know how a SDD has become the center piece for hyping up a system for next generation, I must have woken up in another dimension. The whole gaming world gets hyped over new GPU's and CPU's yet here we are talking about a SSD somehow changing the gaming world forever.

My mind is freaking blown as these are delusion levels I have never before seen.

Um...an SSD, let alone one that is 5.5Gb/s, has never been in a console before, it literally is a game changer, how is that hard to understand?

PS5 SSD is 100 times faster than last gen's HDDs. On the other hand, no-one is going to notice a 1.8tflop difference.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I have also said this repeatedly, most games for the first year or two won't really be taking advatange of either syetem fully. It happens every gen and likely why Microsoft said they will continue to release all of their games on current systems for the first year or two and mostly the same will happen on the PS5 aside from a few exclusives. Until PC games also require SSD's we will continue to be held back by that platform and also the base PS4 and base Xbox One. There is just too many existing customers out there to simply ignore and drop support for. Games take years to create and now in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars. The million dollar question, will Sony finally offer a big AAA game at launch that will be exclusive to the PS5 such as Horizon 2? I hope so but I doubt it.

I'm really hoping Sony puts out some good exclusives at launch, but I'm sure they won't be of the quality we hope for that early in the generation.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

But they both have really good GPUs AND CPUs, it seems to be people who can't accept some people like and are happy with PS5 that are getting stressed about it.

What is there to be unhappy about?
They are both brimming with great tech, my favourite part isn't the ssd but the tempest audio system.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

What do you think people are delusional about? The promise of much faster loading is for many a more important thing that better graphics. Such faster loading is also a more "new" thing rather than upgrade in graphics (i'm not trying to undersell ther improvement in graphics, just to point that out, but improved graphics is more of an expected thing).

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Thank god I'm too old and well off to tie my online identity to some plastic boxes lol

I'm gonna buy both and enjoy them.

Seriously me and another Era guy were just talking about this. Once you have enough disposable income to enjoy all the consoles you realize:
  1. All the consoles are amazing and offer unique play experiences
  2. You can get excited not at the similarity between them but the differences
  3. You don't have to exhaust yourself doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself your purchase was the superior one

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm really hoping Sony puts out some good exclusives at launch, but I'm sure they won't be of the quality we hope for that early in the generation.
It has hardly ever happened on the Playstation. Usually it's third party that carries them until Sony has their big guns ready. What I expect are games shown in development that will blow us away but won't be ready.

What it looks like to me is we will not be having the same situation as the current gen started where one system was obviously less powerful while being $100 more. Both these systems look to be very powerful and heading towards an actual step up and hopefully more emphasis on frame rates.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do more research, you will see why.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't all those developers have gotten Dev units a long while ago? Have they not started making PS5 games yet? I wonder what the launch lineup will look like.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019

The PS5 also has a great GPU but the real game changers next gen will be the upgrades in CPU and especially SSD.
Outside of Star Citizien which works on a "slow" SSD we have yet to see games developed that target a ultra fast SSD like the one in the PS5.
Are you not curious what benefits it would bring to performance and gamedesign?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

What's worse: "delusional" or matter-of-fact ignorant? It's time to educate yourself. Try NXGamer's new video analysis, or if you don't trust one technical expert try another one like Digital Foundry. Or maybe consult some devs on Twitter who are talking about how it's one of the most exciting things in over 2 generations of gaming, but of course. The status quo has been interrupted and you just don't understand where it's landed.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there's any possibility to put that SSD into a PC, considering the predicted launch price of PS5 and comparably priced 1tb nVME drives.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
I'm not an expert, but here's my understanding, and some of what Cerny covered in his talk.

source.gif

This is Horizon Zero Dawn. As you move the camera, it loads the newly needed assets from the HDD into the RAM, and dumps the assets no longer needed.

The game creators are limited on how dense the world is from an asset # and complexity and the variety and quality of textures standpoint, to guarantee that they can be loaded in time for time so that the world seems continuous. You can only make worlds as detailed as can be loaded. That's advantage #1, As storage speed increases devs can stream in more data (assets, textures, etc.) resulting in more detailed and varied worlds.

You'll also notice that there's a two cones. The narrow one is the field of view. Everything outside of that FOV is in the RAM, but not being used. The wider blue cone is fully loaded assets ready to be looked at, and the detail outside the cone is partially loaded assets.

The wider blue cone and all the assets outside of it are actually taking space in the RAM, but not being used. They need to be pre-loaded into RAM to offset the slow storage speed. That's advantage #2. The faster the storage is, the smaller the amount of pre-loaded predictive assets in RAM needs to be. Faster storage should free up more RAM for world detail in the field of view.

GG tested a flying mount, but they had to scrap it because the HDD couldn't keep up with the movement speed.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if by "visual fidelity" you meant resolution. I meant it as the quality and detail of the world. More ram doesn't help with resolution.

That example is a base line technology, VRS that XSX has(Cerny hasn't mentioned if they have it) is another layer on top that addresses the loading issue in another way, which is more advanced and more finely controllable. The whole DX12U suite will go far in countering the advantage PS5 has with their SSD if PS5 doesn't have VRS.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Do people really think Sony put such a high end SSD that most likely cost quite a penny into the PS5 just for shit and giggles?
That developers have nothing to gain?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That example is a base line technology, VRS that XSX has(Cerny hasn't mentioned if they have it) is another layer on top that addresses the loading issue in another way, which is more advanced and more finely controllable. The whole DX12U suite will go far in countering the advantage PS5 has with their SSD if PS5 doesn't have VRS.

VRS having anything to do with loading is news to me. I thought it's strictly to do with more efficient rendering.

The Direct X advantage has been quoted since the initial Xbox (it was code named DirectXbox) yet it hasn't actually resulted in a clear advantage in nearly 20 years. We even heard from Digital Foundry that Playstation tools were better this gen.

I don't think we know everything about either console yet. Apparently som devs say Sony's primitive shader tool is a bigger Deal than vrs.

We'll have to see.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Do people really think Sony put such a high end SSD that most likely cost quite a penny into the PS5 just for shit and giggles?
That developers have nothing to gain?
Exactly. Developers specifically asked for an SSD. It was the #1 thing they asked for, iirc (from the Cerny talk yesterday). Why wouldn't they be excited about getting the thing they wanted the most?

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
Um...an SSD, let alone one that is 5.5Gb/s, has never been in a console before, it literally is a game changer, how is that hard to understand?

PS5 SSD is 100 times faster than last gen's HDDs. On the other hand, no-one is going to notice a 1.8tflop difference.

The difference between power is larger than that of RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super in power, they literally released a brand new graphics card for less performance gains, yet somehow now that isn't noticeable.

Do more research, you will see why.

I did and literally know one is screaming about the next gen SSD's that already has current NVME but they sure are hotly anticapating the new RNDA 2 cards.

The PS5 also has a great GPU but the real game changers next gen will be the upgrades in CPU and especially SSD.
Outside of Star Citizien which works on a "slow" SSD we have yet to see games developed that target a ultra fast SSD like the one in the PS5.
Are you not curious what benefits it would bring to performance and gamedesign?

Very minimal effects one game design, its simply a overkill novelty which won't live up to the hype as Xbox is approaching asset loading differently through DX12U that will negate raw power difference between teh consoles, they basically designed way past diminishing returns that was unnecessary. We are nowhere near maxing out teh capabilities of current NVME SSD's let alone introduce something that isn't even released yet.

What's worse: "delusional" or matter-of-fact ignorant? It's time to educate yourself. Try NXGamer's new video analysis, or if you don't trust one technical expert try another one like Digital Foundry. Or maybe consult some devs on Twitter who are talking about how it's one of the most exciting things in over 2 generations of gaming, but of course. The status quo has been interrupted and you just don't understand where it's landed.

I want to see real life results between current NVME SSD's and next gens one not theoretical scenarios of how much it can improve, you literally have games that can't even take proper advatantage of NVME 3.0 vs NVME 4.0 due to them being insanely fast.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Glad to finally see SSD's in consoles. It's going to be a game changer with the 16gb of ram and next gen amd chips.

Actually starting to get excited and can't wait to see how the games will be.

I want to see real life results between current NVME SSD's and next gens one not theoretical scenarios of how much it can improve, you literally have games that can't even take proper advatantage of NVME 3.0 vs NVME 4.0 due to them being insanely fast.

Pretty simple concept to understand. Your system can only run as fast as your weakest link (bottlenecks).

It's like having a i7 and 1080 with a HDD or slow ram. Sure your gpu/cpu is cutting edge, but your hard drive and ram is going to hinder it.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did and literally know one is screaming about the next gen SSD's that already has current NVME but they sure are hotly anticapating the new RNDA 2 cards.

Don't know where you do your research but devs are excited about the SSD, granted XSX's SSD is also very good.

With that PS5's custom SSD, you probably don't know the customizations done to it but they can stream 8k assets for VR which is something MS doesn't care about.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure this is answered in this thread already... but why are these tweets hyping up the ps5? Isnt it already a long known fact that next gen consoles would have SSDs in them. Lol. SSD as a concept is flat out old.

Is there something special about the ps5 specs (despite the lower tflops) that give it an edge over the new xbox? Or is this all just dumb hype?

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding console wars, my favorite thing i used to say was "I go where the games go". That being said I'm buying a PS5 and not an Xbox....Im in their ecosystem and don't want to leave.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny invested a ton of time getting feedback from 1st and 3rd party developers and has experience with development himself.

This is the outcome. Developers are now hyped and therefore I am as well.

We don't know how this will fully translate to the next gen yet, but I have a feeling that it will help cut down on common development problems and therefore crunch. Thinking about how they were able to make a game like GOW and HZD on PS4 hardware makes me think next gen will be lit.

I am sure this is answered in this thread already... but why are these tweets hyping up the ps5? Isnt it already a long known fact that next gen consoles would have SSDs in them. Lol. SSD as a concept is flat out old.

Is there something special about the ps5 specs (despite the lower tflops) that give it an edge over the new xbox? Or is this all just dumb hype?

I would read the eurogamer article and tweets from Jason Schreier