• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
User banned (5 days): Hostility. Trolling. Prior ban for similar behavior.
When I look at games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, I'd say that 3rd party devs do know what they are doing and use the system fully.

Sony says the same thing in their videos where they have listened to dev requests and developed their system according to that. So you are telling me that devs asked for 12TFLOPS and Sony just said screw you, we will give you more SSD speed instead? I'd say it's better to design according to what 3rd parties want than first parties as they are the ones making the most games for your system.

Somehow reading this thread it's almost as if people say MS have devs what they want and Sony just does their own thing, which is completely false. If they stopped at 10TF it's because devs were probably more than happy with that for their needs and Sony spent the rest of the budget to balance the rest of the system and deliver a better experience overall.
Are you just stupid or something? You're basically like my 3 and 5 year old daughters, just repeating wha the other said thinking it has any meaning whatsoever. If you at least came up with a reply or something instead of acting dumb. Hope you enjoy your fast travels as that's all your PS5 ssd will be good for.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
all it sounds to me is that it'll be a revolution for VR players. This is exciting stuff for them.

The problem is I'm not a VR player.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I vividly remember Carmack saying PS4 and XBO were basically a wash and pretty darn similar prior to release. Xbox fans ate that ish up as a means to defend the lower specs of their console.

Real-world performance showed otherwise and I expect history will (as it always does), repeat itself.
Yep I distinctly remember that and agree think same thing will happen this gen. The PS5 SSD will be talked up as the new secret sauce that makes PS5 as powerful as XSX, then the first games will come out showing that just isn't the case. The DF videos on the third party games this fall will be fascinating.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
right now i'm thinking about waiting for a ps5 pro because I want the better cpu/ gpu and the fast ssd, but it will take a while until m.2 is big, fast, and cheap enough to make room for games.

I want to see how big the games are, are they going to stay the same size or get smaller?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
How are people still talking about the SSD like all it means is "faster loading"??
No it's not just that at all, it means devs can change how they make and design levels, no more having to go down a tight corridor or elevator in games because it's there purely to give the system time to load up the next bit of the level. This means devs can be free from having to use these tricks and can design huge open world settings full of unique assets instead of having to copy paste assets, you will be able to transverse across them much faster too as it can stream the data much faster and much more.
It's not just about "load times" of how fast a map loads up at all.

Dec 31, 2017
How are people still talking about the SSD like all it means is "faster loading"??
No it's not just that at all, it means devs can change how they make and design levels, no more having to go down a tight corridor or elevator in games because it's there purely to give the system time to load up the next bit of the level. This means devs can be free from having to use these tricks and can design huge open world settings full of unique assets instead of having to copy paste assets and much more.
But the real world is not one big open space, there are corridors and elevators in the world I live in...

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For per-frame on demand paging, it's hundreds of MBs per frame. It's not outrageous, it's tipping us into the territory of just in time delivery of data to ram at frame granularity potentially - once games are doing that, the more bandwidth the merrier. It could let you shunt certain classes of data onto the storage that otherwise would need to be in memory, in the knowledge you can get it into memory next-frame or so - freeing space for other things, as much as allowing the refresh of memory in x amount of time. RAM is precious, freeing it up is not 'constructed' or contrived.

You could literally rebuild the world around the player camera as they turn

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not just that at all, it means devs can change how they make and design levels, no more having to go down a tight corridor or elevator in games because it's there purely to give the system time to load up the next bit of the level. This means devs can be free from having to use these tricks and can design huge open world settings full of unique assets instead of having to copy paste assets and much more.
multi platform game design means that the greatest shifts in design will come from sony exclusives.
You could literally rebuild the world around the player camera as they turn
that sounds like a job for silent hill

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I'm actually curious to see how this new Audio tech and presence enhancing feeling is utilized in next gen VR. Can Imagine a rainstorm with this tech in VR would be insane

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3rd party devs are really excited about PS5.

It's the first time SSD is required for all PS5 games and hopefully the entire Xbox Series family. We don't know how it's going to affect 3rd party games yet. It'll be interesting for sure.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
So weird some of the sentiments here, "First Part devs are excited, DUH let's hear from the devs that have to work on multiplatform!". Why? Why would a tech that would fundamentally change how you make a game pertain to a developer that is not utilizing that tech?

No, 3rd party devs can't utilize this tech to its fullest because then those games would not work on any other hardware configuration... whys this a shock?

There will be fundamental help from having a system with an SSD, but you cannot develop your game around it when working multiplatform (for now, hopefully this forces everyone to utilize SSD configuration).

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much PS5's SSD implementation will actually help devs like ND with their wide linear games. Seems open world games are the ones that will benefit the most, but I'm clueless about the topic so would like to know.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
These aren't just SATA SSDs (500mb/s), these are NVMe SSDs (5.5gb/s) which outpace most consumer grade PC hardware.

The Samsung 970 Evo Plus that I just upgraded to has a transfer rate of 3.5gb/s.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So weird some of the sentiments here, "First Part devs are excited, DUH let's hear from the devs that have to work on multiplatform!". Why? Why would a tech that would fundamentally change how you make a game pertain to a developer that is not utilizing that tech?

No, 3rd party devs can't utilize this tech to its fullest because then those games would not work on any other hardware configuration... whys this a shock?

There will be fundamental help from having a system with an SSD, but you cannot develop your game around it when working multiplatform (for now, hopefully this forces everyone to utilize SSD configuration).
Thanks for this, some people acting like this is any different then any other generation, that does not make it any less of a really big deal.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look like this Ultra FAST CUSTOM SSD was the dream of the developers, interesting to see how it will affect the Series X

I promise that developers will be perfectly excited over the 100x I/O speed increase from Xbox One to Xbox Series X. But I am seriously excited to see what PlayStation first party does with the extra speed, too!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't worked with Sony since The Order released. Their last few games were Oculus titles.
They have (like devs posted here) strong history. Add VR to boot which only PS5 will offer. There's business interests here so honestly not a unsurprising comment.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the issue is SSD vs HDD, people are claiming the PS5 SSD at 8GB/s will allow games that aren't possible on the XSX 5GB/s SSD. I'm really not convinced that will be the case.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I gotta give it you, whether on Twitter or Era, you work tirelessly to defend your system and downplay the other. Meanwhile, Nintendo will kick both their butts. GG.
Wait, how? Nintendo isn't even in the same technological universe as PS5 and XSX. Unless we're talking about games, which doesn't make sense, since this topic is about developer reactions to technical specifications?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because no one trusts what anyone has to say, people are always "towing the line". It's stupid, it doesn't matter. Devs can be excited?! Like, why not? MS and Sony will both have each other's dev kits to make Minecraft and the next MLB, I'm sure the devs are exciting work on both.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Read at Dawn dev. Im excited for next gen but cant take this seriously.

Average gamer isnt invested in SSD speeds lol. That goes for both consoles.
Oh common, this is a third party dev...
And they do magic on technical side.
You want Ubi to come out and saying "oh we prefer this console" ? It won't happened, it never will, they are all partners.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Are you just stupid or something? You're basically like my 3 and 5 year old daughters, just repeating wha the other said thinking it has any meaning whatsoever. If you at least came up with a reply or something instead of acting dumb. Hope you enjoy your fast travels as that's all your PS5 ssd will be good for.
A bit too hostile attitude there man. With you commenting so much and being on this forum, you must already know that the ssd speed definitely won't only mean "fast travels". There has already been credible reports from devs that PS5 is superior to XSX in many ways, and we just don't know what that means. Could be bottlenecks, system architecture in general, some other things or just the plain fact that the ssd is faster.

Of course this doesn't mean that Xbox can't be better in many ways, but with what Jason Schreier wrote here for example, we just don't know if it's really the better system. Only thing we can assume at this point is that both consoles are going to be great and close in performance. You are an adult with children. Why are you acting like it's your life's mission to bash a console?

Jan 21, 2019
Yes ofc, an SSD as standard is a huge thing.. But putting as much resources at it as Sony when the GPU still has to render the assets is another story... meaning how big an impact is the magic sauce really gonna do?
There are probably other bottlenecks involved.

I'd rather trust developers and people who work their asses of to build these things then my gut reaction by reading some specs that a half understand.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the issue is SSD vs HDD, people are claiming the PS5 SSD at 8GB/s will allow games that aren't possible on the XSX 5GB/s SSD. I'm really not convinced that will be the case.

This is what I don't get. Is the PS5 talk so beyond what the XSX can do or is it just general SSDs are awesome talk and I'm no tech guru but both platforms are custom with lots of additions so is the PS5 beyond in that regard to or not?

I guess bring on the games so we see examples.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe I am still reading stuff like this on this forum.
Are you ok now ? If so you could have the gentleness to clarify to us the level of expertise of a community manager can provide on rasterisation, workload management, memory paging or spatial audio - all things Cerny has talked about yesterday, the proposal of this thread before it gets derailed.

I understand the way you want to defend someone of your office behind a lexicology we were supposed to ignore where "everyone is a dev in the great gaming family " but that guy that no one has denied the professionalism (or the job importance in a game company) isn't concerned, only those who used his message.

Last edited:

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder how much PS5's SSD implementation will actually help devs like ND with their wide linear games. Seems open world games are the ones that will benefit the most, but I'm clueless about the topic so would like to know.
An 86% reduction of "boost me up" dialog and 73% reduction of rock falling and closing passage.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
twitter.com

Matt Phillips on Twitter

“As a 15 year+ games programmer with 24 triple-A titles released on every Nintendo, Microsoft, and PlayStation machine under the sun, neither I nor anyone else in my field has *ever* used "teraflop" as a unit of measurement of any kind. Just drop the word, it's utterly meaningless”

I feel we should listen to him :)