• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 3, 2019
When I look at games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, I'd say that 3rd party devs do know what they are doing and use the system fully.

MS says the same thing in their videos where they have listened to dev requests and developed their system according to that. So you are telling me that devs asked for 5GB transfer speeds and MS just said screw you, we will give you more TFlops instead? I'd say it's better to design according to what 3rd parties want than first parties as they are the ones making the most games for your system.

Somehow reading this thread it's almost as if people say Sony have devs what they want and MS just does their own thing, which is completely false. If they stopped at 2.5GB/s it's because devs were probably more than happy with that for their needs and MS spent the rest of the budget to balance the rest of the system and deliver a better experience overall.
When I look at games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, I'd say that 3rd party devs do know what they are doing and use the system fully.

Sony says the same thing in their videos where they have listened to dev requests and developed their system according to that. So you are telling me that devs asked for 12TFLOPS and Sony just said screw you, we will give you more SSD speed instead? I'd say it's better to design according to what 3rd parties want than first parties as they are the ones making the most games for your system.

Somehow reading this thread it's almost as if people say MS have devs what they want and Sony just does their own thing, which is completely false. If they stopped at 10TF it's because devs were probably more than happy with that for their needs and Sony spent the rest of the budget to balance the rest of the system and deliver a better experience overall.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I like that Sony really tried to make the devs happy, unlike the PS1~PS3 era.

I wonder what the 3rd party devs would do if PS5 can do so much more with ease (unlike PS3)

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How significant will the difference be between games designed with the Series X SSD in mind compared to the PS5 one? The PS5 one is twice as fast yeah, but the Series X one is still really fast.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Sounds like the PS5 is going to be great for the type games I really love, open world game. I know I've been advised before that Bethesda games are better on SSD (which is why I decided to keep SSD as not just for the computer operating system on my gaming PC). I wonder if this is why? (I don't know much about hardware to be honest... and only when I'm researching improving something do I even know what is the latest and greatest. It simply doesn't interest me which is why I prefer console playing. I just have a gaming PC for VR games... and Bethesda games since I've discovered how much better mods can make them).

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely a game changer, and I'm saying that as a professional developer who has built a 3D engine from scratch in the past. The problem with what we're discussing right now is that it's really, really hard to communicate why this is a game changer to people who don't have the technical knowledge to understand what's going on under the hood in games, and you can't point to a specific example of possible results and say "this is how it's going to be" since the results will depend entirely on what the developer wants to achieve.

It's a big deal. If the new Xbox doesn't have something similar (and no, simply having an SSD isn't good enough), the PS5 will have a big advantage in terms of graphical fidelity, weaker GPU or not.
This is why the PS5 will punch above its weight. The TFs # is not the clear-cut advantage everyone thinks it is. Likely this gen, you will see 3rd party multiplat games that don't have a definitive "winner" in terms of presentation (graphics, sound, interaction, etc.).

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, battling thor and cracking through different realms with axe and hammer as you fight + the audio!
My hype is through the roof for this system, i can't wait for the games.
I'm not even worried about GPU power, i was blown away by 1 to 2tf, you give devs 10? loooool

And FINALLY i can play Division 2 and Fast travel MUCH MUCH Faster (fuck the loading, i swear MASSIVE studios has the be the developers most hyped rn about next gen), God Bless Sony & MS!

i'm 100% happy MS went HAM on SX, This might be able to force sony to launch at a lower PP!
In Fact i'm sure sony might regret not doing a two tier system launch, they'd be able to eat their cake and have it.
Gotta love competition.

Where's the appeal in literally being able to have a weapon that cleaves the reality between different worlds over "slowly turning a giant wheel to select a different realm and have a long (very pretty" animation to hide the transition" 😜 PS5's SSD really sounds like it was made after devs despaired over not getting flying into H:ZD and having to scale back the Stranger fight in GoW.

I can see hallucination scenes a la Scarecrow or Scorpion getting A LOT trippier, too. You hear a sound behind you (yay, 3D audio), turn around, great, now you're in hellworld. Something happens, screen goes white/dark, once you can see again you're back to normal. Another sound, now you're in a different dreamscape.

If this can happen in multiplats as well thanks to Xbox's SSD, even better!

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Lmao these new accounts are hilarious.

Do you not think it is relevant that the only developers saying this outright are all employed by Sony? It does not mean they are lying outright but there is some bias there. Surely you can respond to that without simply pointing out that my account is new.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

Sony says the same thing in their videos where they have listened to dev requests and developed their system according to that. So you are telling me that devs asked for 12TFLOPS and Sony just said screw you, we will give you more SSD speed instead? I'd say it's better to design according to what 3rd parties want than first parties as they are the ones making the most games for your system.

Somehow reading this thread it's almost as if people say MS have devs what they want and Sony just does their own thing, which is completely false. If they stopped at 10TF it's because devs were probably more than happy with that for their needs and Sony spent the rest of the budget to balance the rest of the system and deliver a better experience overall.
I don't think you understand his comment at all

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not think it is relevant that the only developers saying this outright are all employed by Sony? It does not mean they are lying outright but there is some bias there. Surely you can respond to that without simply pointing out that my account is new.

They're not the only developers saying this, there are other examples in this very thread.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
How significant will the difference be between games designed with the Series X SSD in mind compared to the PS5 one? The PS5 one is twice as fast yeah, but the Series X one is still really fast.

I mean you could say the same about any part, CPU, GPU, etc.

Everything sounds excellent.

I can't wait till we see some games.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox will have an advantage on RT and high refresh rate. But PS5 maintaining 4k60 will be satisfactory. Each system has their advantages on specific features. It will be an interesting generation.

There will still be 4k30 games but I am hoping 4k60 will be the standard.

Dec 8, 2018

You are ignoring that LOTS of other third party developers posted in this thread also are saying the same things...

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
All employed by Sony? There multiple 3rd party devs and people who left Sony a while ago posted the same thing. Do you really want me to reply to a conspiracy theory about a collective spin with a straight face?

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because Lockhart exists right?
Xbox has the weakest console and devs have to make their games work on that console too.
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because PC exists right? Or are we saying people are gonna have to get NVME drives to play PC games now?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Where's the appeal in literally being able to have a weapon that cleaves the reality between different worlds over "slowly turning a giant wheel to select a different realm and have a long (very pretty" animation to hide the transition" 😜 PS5's SSD really sounds like it was made after devs despaired over not getting flying into H:ZD and having to scale back the Stranger fight in GoW.

I can see hallucination scenes a la Scarecrow or Scorpion getting A LOT trippier, too. You hear a sound behind you (yay, 3D audio), turn around, great, now you're in hellworld. Something happens, screen goes white/dark, once you can see again you're back to normal. Another sound, now you're in a different dreamscape.

If this can happen in multiplats as well thanks to Xbox's SSD, even better!

I'm telling you man, i swear the devs are definitely more hyped with the SSD than GPU (IMO)
Had 2 state of the games of The division 2 were MASSIVE flat out admitted the hard drives holding loading back significantly to the point of having 'invisible walls' while playing

The shit this could do to games is crazy, maybe division 3 they'd be a much larger world and choppers cause fuck loading???
Horizon zero dawn taking down one trex and another one pops in and another one pops in i hitch a storm ride out of there cause fuck loading??
Or getting bitch slapped by odin from one realm to another cause fuck loading??
Or maybe finally running a 6x3 eidolon hunt on warframe console version cause fuck loading cetus gate? or maybe the integrate railjack into current navigation again because fuck loading lool

Thank you Sony & MS

The ball is in the developers court now!

Edit: I didn't even mention the audio! crazy good times ahead

Mr Robot

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox will have an advantage on RT and high refresh rate. But PS5 maintaining 4k60 will be satisfactory. Each system has their advantages on specific features. It will be an interesting generation.

There will still be 4k30 games but I am hoping 4k60 will be the standard.
Majority of games will be 4k30 on both consoles

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like for this next gen, SSDs are what determine which console is "strongest". Big paradigm shift

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Two of them are not, like James Cooper and Andrew Maximov.

For example, Andrew Maximov left ND more than year ago and now running own start-up - https://www.prometheanai.com/
So he's basically 3rd-party dev now.

And James Cooper left Insomniac in July, before SIE acquisition, so technically he's 3rd-party dev too, like for 2 years.

Plus we have some other tweets, like this:

So saying that all those tweets from current members of SIE WWS is wrong.

Fair enough for Cooper. Maximov knew about the hardware already though.

For the other tweets, I haven't said anything about it, just that the OP wasn't particularly detailed and showing context.
It'd be better if it wasn't only first party (current or not) devs, and that it'd be shown what is their history with SIE before just posting some tweets with no context.
If this is the case then lets apply the reverse too in every thread - Any benefits Xbox has in terms of its GPU will be minimal at best when it comes to third party games when comparing the two consoles.
Not sure what you mean by that (and why I'm quoted), but that's not really how it works IRL for multiplats.
See any console generation until now (or even PC differences between various builds). Regardless of optimization, third party ports always work better on the most powerful machine, nothing wrong with that.

I play ports on Switch right now, played ports on PS3 and GC/PS2 before that weren't as good as the more powerful platforms at the time, but you definitely couldn't say that differences were "minimal at best", regardless of the power gap. It's even more noticeable near the end of a gen.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
But era told me the difference is small and it won't help much!

And what do most people play? 3rd party games, which will look and run better on the Xbox. Shame.

This is a funny statement overall thou. Most games SHOULD run better on the Xbox one x, and most of the time they run better on the pro.

let's also not forget: Xbox wants their games to play on all of their consoles. For all we know games might not run as well since they have to support the original Xbox/one S -a fact everyone seems to forget

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol i like how many act like the ps5 is barely better than the pro just because series x is more powerful. its still a beast of a console. i'll be honest i'm mostly buying a ps5 for sony's first party and any 3rd party games are just icing on the cake. i'm really hoping horizon 2, the next god of war and days gone take full advantage of the ssd. hoping we also get a new infamous but i'm not gonna hold my breath. too bad the last of us 2 wasn't made from the ground up to take advantage of the ssd.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If it mattered to me just "a little" I would buy a PC with a serious GPU. If you have enough with a XsX then it doesn't matter you that much...
But I don't want to play my pc on a oled tv in my living room. That is the oldest most boring rhetoric that is mind boggling that it's still used on this forum.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

This is a funny statement overall thou. Most games SHOULD run better on the Xbox one x, and most of the time they run better on the pro.
This is literal fake news and I can point you to digital foundary for your education on the subject lol. No, pro typicaly does not run better than x for third party games.

Last edited:

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This us literal fake news and I can point you to digital foundary for your education on the subject lol. No, pro typicaly does not run better than x for third party games.

I remember looking at a few games where they should run better on the x and they don't. Shouldn't all games run better on the Xbox one x? Yup. But they don't This list here shows it's a mixed bag:https://www.thegamer.com/ps4-pro-xbox-one-x/

What I'm trying to say is not all games will run better on the series x, because shit happens overall

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

let's also not forget: Xbox wants their games to play on all of their consoles. For all we know games might not run as well since they have to support the original Xbox/one S -a fact everyone seems to forget

Your statement amuses me, the whole issue in the past day has been narrative and you basically proved how a bad first impression hinders something. MS said for the first year they would do games across the family of devices not permanently. The fact this stuck the way it has proves how bad it is to make a bad first impression and not wow people.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I remember looking at a few games where they should run better on the x and they don't. Shouldn't all games run better on the Xbox one x? Yup. But they don't This list here shows it's a mixed bag:https://www.thegamer.com/ps4-pro-xbox-one-x/

What I'm trying to say is not all games will run better on the series x, because shit happens overall
You said most as in majority of the time third party games run better on pro vs x and that is straight up a lie that can be proven.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You said most as in majority of the time third party games run better on pro vs x and that is straight up a lie that can be proven.

Fair enough.

for this thread overall, people need to read Jason's interview on kotaku -
www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

both consoles will be a beast, TF is only computational, and who cares in the end? The game's are what really matters. Remember the PS3 was super powerful and failed due to its difficulty in developing

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Fair enough.

for this thread overall, people need to read Jason's interview on kotaku -
www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

both consoles will be a beast, TF is only computational, and who cares in the end? The game's are what really matters. Remember the PS3 was super powerful and failed due to its difficulty in developing
Yes I can agree with all the above.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Bruh, battling thor and cracking through different realms with axe and hammer as you fight + the audio!
Thats exactly what I was thinking lol

That scene where you start fighting The Stranger in Hellheim and then get teleported to Midgard while still fighting was amazing already

Imagine a scene where the camera zooms in on Kratos eye, and now you are automatically playing a flashback sequence

Sony first party studios are masters in cinematography, and now their tools are endless.

Exciting times ahead

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
This finally gives me an excuse to upgrade to PCIE 4.0 in the fall. I hope prices fall, 200 for 1tb is a bit much.
Honestly I can't wait to see what devs do with all this raw SSD horsepower, not to mention taking advantage of Kraken.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do what? I just thought it was strange I'm only hearing from ps devs. Have you heard any praise for the series X in any way. I would definitely like to see them. Wonder what their thoughts on series X monster specs are.
Your post implied that this is some top down policy from Sony to talk up the PS5 and that the opinions of these devs are somehow invalid.

It's conspiracy theory nonsense.

Jan 11, 2020
Power of the cloud was unproven nonsense, SSDs exist, we know what they do and their benefits. It's not hard to imagine what they bring to the table compared to wishful thinking regarding cloud technology.
Yes ofc, an SSD as standard is a huge thing.. But putting as much resources at it as Sony when the GPU still has to render the assets is another story... meaning how big an impact is the magic sauce really gonna do?
There are probably other bottlenecks involved.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How come we didn't see any gains from this IO throughput stuff going from standard hard drives to stuff we have already on PC like NVME or SSD's before that? Never really saw a generational leap come from these upgrades and Isn't that already a bigger leap then what we are getting here going from, for example, NVME drives in PC's to this PS5 drive?

Most games are usually built with the lowest common denominator in mind. And both console platforms did not have SSD support, thus you were not seeing much of a gain apart from faster loading assets into memory and faster content reading. PC gamers also back then tended to mostly use HDDs for their games, so there was even less of a reason to innovate with storage speeds in mind.

A community manager isn't a developer, dev means being employed on software creation or production.
The purpose of the tread is to read technical expertise or a view on software and creation, not just someone drooling on a spec list.

Can't believe I am still reading stuff like this on this forum.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like for this next gen, SSDs are what determine which console is "strongest". Big paradigm shift
riiiiiight...

I don't get why people can't just enjoy their platform of choice without mental Olympics to self assure it is the "strongest" console.

Third party MIGHT be better on Xbox due to it's better specs or they could just baseline for the PS5 as it will likely have the most users. I don't see how they model around the speed gap of SSD for PS5 without it affecting other platforms. As others mentioned they likely need to model around the lowest common denominator for HDD speeds.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
And what do most people play? 3rd party games, which will look and run better on the Xbox. Shame.

Everyone has their own priorities. To me, playing something at 4Kcb vs. 4K is a barely noticeable difference, while playing first-party titles vs. third-party is a frequently a world of difference. So I prioritize getting systems that let me play the games I'm excited about rather than obsessing over technical minutiae ... even though I've made a wildly profitable career of obsessing over technology. I enjoy learning the little details but since I'm not writing the games, what matters most to me is what games I can actually play on the system.

It's why I own a Switch. It's why I own a PS4. It's why I will own a PS5. It's why I'm keeping an open mind regarding what Microsoft's acquisitions might mean in terms of their first-party output.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
riiiiiight...

I don't get why people can't just enjoy their platform of choice without mental Olympics to self assure it is the "strongest" console.

Third party MIGHT be better on Xbox due to it's better specs or they could just baseline for the PS5 as it will likely have the most users. I don't see how they model around the speed gap of SSD for PS5 without it affecting other platforms. As others mentioned they likely need to model around the lowest common denominator for HDD speeds.

The same will happen for Xbox, though. The first 1-2 years games will be shackled to the older Xbox family (Xbox original, Xbox one s etc...), probably even longer since Phil Spencer is going with the Xbox family narrative.

in the end, if pc game developers can add multiple settings that take advantage of power levels and hard drives/SSD; I believe console devs will be able to with the Xbox family, ps5 SSD etc etc

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its always console wars.

Whatever your console does best is always the most important thing that gen for that person. If one console has a nurb advantage then that suddenly becomes the most important thing ever.

We are going to fight like animals until they release and probably for the first 18 months afterwards as it takes time to make a good game designed only for these new consoles, and then the games will come and we will have something else to talk about.

This is the console release hype cycle. We must respect and follow it.

Dec 31, 2017
An alternative definition could be fastest loading, high resolution and framerates, higher quality textures, immersive audio, VR, no pop-in, basically anything XSX will do but instead of turning the knob to 10, turned up to 11!

We can sit here coming up with these tailor-made definitions all day. In reality, both are going to provide amazing gaming experiences. Most people won't be able to tell the difference when talking resolution though.
Except for the faster loading, everything will be better on series X though so what you are saying is essentially wrong. Also, we have Dolby Atmos in Xbox so we will be fine!! VR I guess if you are one of the few that care enough about that sort of stuff.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yes ofc, an SSD as standard is a huge thing.. But putting as much resources at it as Sony when the GPU still has to render the assets is another story... meaning how big an impact is the magic sauce really gonna do?
There are probably other bottlenecks involved.
Its still a big jump over this gen (especially on CPU), PS5 only looks bad next to Series X otherwise its a very solid system and the games will show it