• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
But SSD's have been mainstream for absolute years on PC. No devs made use of this at all or designed around it?
Only in loading. They literally couldn't. Or they'd leave out the majority of users. It would be pointless. Star Citizen seems the lone example of forging ahead because they defy all other expectations...so why not.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You mean mine? Calling the community manager not a developer because they posted something more positive about the Series X is far more offensive than anything else.

Look at Elenarie's reaction
A community manager isn't a developer, dev means being employed on software creation or production.
The purpose of the tread is to read technical expertise or a view on software and creation, not just someone drooling on a spec list.

Last edited:

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting both consoles but wouldn't the 'slower' I/O on the Xbox Series X cause multiplat devs to focus on the lower speeds instead and thus not take full advantage of the faster I/O on the PS5? At least that's how I see it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How come we didn't see any gains from this IO throughput stuff going from standard hard drives to stuff we have already on PC like NVME or SSD's before that? Never really saw a generational leap come from these upgrades and Isn't that already a bigger leap then what we are getting here going from, for example, NVME drives in PC's to this PS5 drive?
Cerny explained that, the games are designed with the standard HDD in mind, vs the SSD where they still had the old way of thinking. The games on consoles can do away with the redundant assets on both consoles now overall, and the playstation could deliver at an even faster speed high fidelity assets from what im understanding this as when it comes to the SSD.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely getting both consoles but wouldn't the 'slower' I/O on the Xbox Series X cause multiplat devs to focus on the lower speeds instead and thus not take full advantage of the faster I/O on the PS5? At least that's how I see it.

Just like the complaints about Ps5 are hyperbolic so are the advantages claimed by PS5 people

The bottom line is that these machines represent a comparable and significant leap over their predecessors to the point where we wont really know where the actual ceiling is for both machines for quite some time

Expect games on both to impress with performance, speed, framerate and whatever else you currently care about

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Have said it before, the main thing I'm more intrigued about is the 3D Audio but I'm afraid it's SONY first party that will utilize it at full potential, unfortunately, I have little to no interest. Maybe this feature will change my mind this time.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It just seems crazy to me that people are saying the XBOX is drastically more powerful than the PS5 when the raw number comparison put the XBOX at about 8%-20% better than the PS5 in most categories except SSD speed where the PS5 is around double the speed. Like, even if the XBOX was as much as 20% faster/more powerful than the PS5, that's not a huge difference (we're well past the point of diminishing returns on raw power) & with the SSD advantage and possibly more efficient architecture, the gap is likely to be even smaller and could even be in the PS5's favor.

My guess is that for multiplatform titles, you're going to get basically the same experience regardless of which of the two systems you play them on.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Only in loading. They literally couldn't. Or they'd leave out the majority of users. It would be pointless. Star Citizen seems the lone example of forging ahead because they defy all other expectations...so why not.

Would have thought if it was completely game changing some dev would be utilising it already - loads of devs make VR only stuff and that's a way smaller audience than a SSD etc only game would have.

Not trying to downplay it. Guess we just have to wait for the games to blow us away with some crazy stuff!

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because Lockhart exists right?
Xbox has the weakest console and devs have to make their games work on that console too.

Well, to be fair, xsx has the tech just half speed (ssd + hardware decompression). So itll get utilized ( at least if the game doesnt hit PC). And who knows, maybe the xsx speeds are enough to do 90% of what is done on ps5's solution.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The replies in this thread.......*smh*. I thought Era was above console wars. Can we all agree that both consoles will be amazing and move on?

Anyway this SSD sounds awesome. Completely game changing. Can't wait to see it in action........with that Demon's Souls remake!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because Lockhart exists right?
Xbox has the weakest console and devs have to make their games work on that console too.
Sigh... Lockhart have a SSD. When third party will stopped to do cross gen games (in 2 years), those consoles will all have SSD and it will be mandatory for gaming on PC.
But PC is. At most third party developers will target entry level SSD transfer rates for their game if even that.
That's not important.
Horizon 2 & God of War 2 are going to melt my brain, aren't they?
The Decimal Engine will definitely do. The LOD will be something.
The actual performance of the entire console is a different story. :)
Are you allowed to say if you are happy with those? Are you happy with those?
Can't wait to see the faces of the guys on the boats in Spiderman 2.
Ha ha ha.
How come we didn't see any gains from this IO throughput stuff going from standard hard drives to stuff we have already on PC like NVME or SSD's before that? Never really saw a generational leap come from these upgrades and Isn't that already a bigger leap then what we are getting here going from, for example, NVME drives in PC's to this PS5 drive?
Sigh...
They will just stop deving for them, just like they did with shader Model 2.0 GPUs, or non 64 but CPUs, or CPUs missing instructions. Or dx10 GPUs.
Probably. The only question is when?
I used this post to ask you : have you had time to ask a dev about the lack of LOD transition in Setsuna showcase? Because what SONY showed about SSD and the fact memory can be fully used instead of stacking reminds me of your comment about the LOD.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how it's been less than 24 hours, and you're already seeing the trial balloons getting floated, for how the fanboys plan to craft the narrative for their plastic box of choice, and it's specs.

Teraflops?
tenor.gif

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The war already ended. It's the damage control stage. I wish Sony put more effort in the marketing the console that damage control and starting the reveal talk with TF don't matter.

Nintendo said the same about games that are only possible on Wii U. Same as Microsoft cloud talk last gen. It's a marketing talk. Bullshit basically.

First party are going to take advantage, not 3rd party who are going to develop for both.

You can't call it bs when devs have said countless times that it is a gamechanger. Why is every good thing about PS5 have to be marketing talk and not something that genuinely impacts overall game development for the better?

Again, we'll see how this all plays out when games start rolling out

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
3rd Party games wont have the time/money/benefit of being backed by Sony and having to design exclusively around their hardware. There's still gonna be a lot of PC gamers on HDD, and the Xbox SDD is clearly different as well.
So you're telling me games made by Valve, EA, Ubi, THQ, Activision can't take advantage of this?

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm with you. Complete disrespect from OP.

Side note: that Randy Pitchford tweet is hilarious because he literally said the same thing, word for word, about Series X
Gotta spin their shitty narrative somehow.
He's part of the dev team and the industry. That's what matters.
You mean mine? Calling the community manager not a developer because they posted something more positive about the Series X is far more offensive than anything else.

Look at Elenarie's reaction
They clearly took offense at the disingenuous post(s) from the OP, and they're a verified developer. Why should we sensor that?

Edit: beaten
OP actively downplaying a 3rd party coworker of hers?

I take issue with what you lot are saying. I created this thread to share and discuss dev reactions, not industry wide professionals. There's a reason I didn't include stuff from Digital Foundry for example.

All this Hostility is uncalled for. Still, disrespecting industry professionals is not what I had intended, if that is indeed what I've done, somehow.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just seems crazy to me that people are saying the XBOX is drastically more powerful than the PS5 when the raw number comparison put the XBOX at about 8%-20% better than the PS5 in most categories except SSD speed where the PS5 is around double the speed. Like, even if the XBOX was as much as 20% faster/more powerful than the PS5, that's not a huge difference (we're well past the point of diminishing returns on raw power) & with the SSD advantage and possibly more efficient architecture, the gap is likely to be even smaller and could even be in the PS5's favor.

My guess is that for multiplatform titles, you're going to get basically the same experience regardless of which of the two systems you play them on.
So you think that although PS5 has almost double the speed for SSD, we will get the same experience?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really excited to see what First Party can bring out of that SSD. Hopefully third party has some great use of it as well.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Would have thought if it was completely game changing some dev would be utilising it already - loads of devs make VR only stuff and that's a way smaller audience than a SSD etc only game would have.

Not trying to downplay it. Guess we just have to wait for the games to blow us away with some crazy stuff!
Well, in that case, if you are developing for a specific type of gameplay. You know it's a smaller audience because it's newer tech. A whole different area to work in. If you are creating a general game, you want it in as many households as possible. That requires working with the lowest common denominator in HDDs. I don't know what the split is on PCs, but I imagine HDDs are still the bigger number, so it just wouldn't be smart. It would be impossible on console. That's why the new gen is so exciting. We finally get to go back to ...cart like loading times.

Oct 27, 2017

People can't die on their imaginary hills over a pointless battle if their preferred game machine isn't better than another preferred game machine though.

In reality the disparity between these two seems far less than what we currently have with the 4/One and Pro/Elite. Both are going to offer some amazing individual strengths for first party titles (as usual) and everything else is probably going to play great regardless.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But SSD's have been mainstream for absolute years on PC. No devs made use of this at all or designed around it?

Lots of PCs still don't have SSDs, but also the SSD speeds on both the XBOX & PS5 are drastically faster than your average PC SSD these days. Like for example, my PC's SSD has sequential read times of about 400MBs/sec and much slower read times on random access. The PS5's SSD is over 10 times faster than that.

I will say that playing Path of Exile on a SSD is a drastically different experience than a non-SSD. Not only are the load times much faster, but the game's a lot smoother as well.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed amazing. Wondering if 2.4-5GB/s is enough for something similar and if XSX has this multi-priority thing or just two channels like PC drives.

RT was barely mentioned though... smells like it's getting a short end of stick and 8-10TF is just not enough for most of the RT juice. RT heavy multiplatform titles might suffer on this machine. First party will do wonders that's a given though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a game dev, but I am a dev, and I'm pretty happy with specs from both. I think they're similar enough that multiplatform games won't be horribly compromised on one or the other, which one does better will probably depend on the game. And their strengths should make for some interesting first party games.

I do wonder about the PS5's ray tracing performance. From the presentation it sounded like he was optimistic that it could do reflections, but based on his own chart that would put full path racing out of reach. I hope I misinterpreted that.

Either way, I'm sure games will look great, but I still think current games look great, so I'm easy to impress.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
No loading times are going to be great, I suppose for some games it can be marginally better on PS5 than XBX.
Better graphics are going to be great, I suppose for some games it can be marginally better on XBX than PS5.

I will get the PS5 for the exclusives. That is the gap that is huge here. Everything else to me seems so small a gap between the two that is irrelevant.

If I played older games, maybe the BC which is way better on XBX would make me pause, but I dont. But I can really see people that use it alot and care could base their decision around it. Hopefully Sony decides to add BC all the way down to PS1.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
since both have SSDs that wouldnt really matter the PS5 will just load faster, however as someone pointed out this may affect multiplayer/cross play games because the PS5 would load faster than any other platform. so this definitely is something we will need to see play out.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

We can't be rational here on ERA, didn't you know? People who are expecting a huge gap in visuals will be surprised once they realize it's even smaller than the Xbox One X to the Pro

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I agree with this. the major difference will come from 1st parties but the differences between multi is probably negligible at best. its a great time to own either system.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

I feel like I hear this every gen, then one game has more grass than another and all hell breaks loose. I think the entire reason Microsoft keeps going after so much raw power is due to how much shit they got over the gpu, ram, etc. Also these weird reaches about PS5 being more balanced or "efficient." We shouldn't encourage that. Some numbers are higher on one system vs another and thats ok.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Agreed on all of this! Some of the warring (or even outright fretting) over this makes me a little sad. I'm really excited about all the hardware.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In all seriousness tho. It sounds like PS5 games will have alot better draw distance and LOD. Third parties will utilize these advantages just like they did this gen, last gen...well every gen.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hmm... i mean. Im hyped for ps5. I will definitely get one. but how much hot air is being blown up my ass here?
Is this at all similar to the bullshit that was peddled last gen by some Xbox devs about the power of the CLOUD?
Or similar to the bullshit peddled by Sony about the power of CELL?
Or is this actually legit?

A lot of it especially from Sony developers. As this thread is literally based off of first party devs praising the consoles, it's rich since they are literally never going to have games on the Xbox so they won't need to worry about bashing them.

But sure the SSDs in both consoles are pretty wild, but realistically this was never a limitation in world size. LOD and having more detail streamed in? Yes do that.

PC's have this tech but it's not as close as we're not in the newer generation ssds that are supposed to be out this year. Right now an SSD pretty close to the speeds the XSX and PS5 get would be upwards of $399 (for 2TB).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The I/O data speeds on the PS5 are going to change how PS5 games operate at a fundamental level. It's not as sexy of a thing to tout as CPU or GPU speeds but I think this will have a more fundamental change on development than people realize.