• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
As someone who works on SSD controller design, this thing is an absolute thing of beauty. I hope some of the ones I work on will be compatible for expansion! I do agree that it is a very very high spec to use as baseline in design, I expect mostly first party devs to fully utilize it, but it will make the games appear like a leap above the rest.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This entire thread is insane. I come on here to get distracted and you lot are fucking children. Between the impetus of this thread, and the fact it has to be a zero sum game and Klobrille posting that to make it even worse. I'm just reporting the thread and fucking off. You deserve each other.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's just bullshit by console warriors to push things their way, happened last gen and will happen this gen too. Funny to see it again. :D

PS5 TF compares to XBX TF that compares to potato TF that compares to whatever. It is a measurement for amount of floating point operations a piece of hardware can do.

The actual performance of the entire console is a different story. :)
at_536x402_Psychiater_Beruf.jpg

Please tell us what you feel.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how you took that out of his post. Third party titles will perform better on the XSX as it's the clear cut more powerful console. PS5 SSD advantages will require specialization that likely we'll only see from first party developers.

It's not to say it's a budget machine if one wants to play multiplatform games on the stronger hardware.

You should be on a PC then

That said I don't see the benefits of the gap being large enough to matter and it definitely wont matter to me

I would be interested in a proposed scenario where a developer pushes that gap enough to matter to even casual gamers

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People are acting like PS5 is somehow a budget bin machine because its less powerful than XSX

Its asinine

So glad to have console wars back i really missed it

Gonna go back to playing on my switch and enjoying it despite the attitudes on here

Nothing about that post says 'console wars'. Feels like you're bullying him for just expressing his opinion.

You're calling him out for saying he plans to buy a PS5 just for Sony exclusives?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I think at the end of the day, stronger cpu and gpu and the corresponding results from those are much easier to imagine and to enjoy, compared to just faster loading times and potential level design change which sounds quite abstract

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding this technical aspect of both consoles (SSDs): doesn't that potentially mean that either the Xbox Series X's slower storage will hold back the game designs of AAA multiplats or that it will have issues reaching the technical vision devs had in mind when developing this compared to the PS5?
Genuine question.
Solely talking about the storage solution here! I'm fully aware that the Series X has its own strenghts as well.

PCs that gave standard disk driveswill hold back game design more.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
It was a PS5 reaction thread, it's kinda weird for people to get annoyed by people who work on the PS5 reacting.
I don't even know why the xbox would come up, lol, it will all calm down soon.
With in here I mean the whole resetera :D
Hopefully df will make a video about the differences of the consoles and their view on it.
Exciting times ahead, those consoles are so awesome.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I would like to know what more 3rd party devs think about the faster PS5 SSD. But yea, 1st party games are gonna be doing some amazing stuff that might only be possible on PS5 is my takeaway from this and Cerny did say the faster SSD speed is something that is readily available to devs without much effort from them.

Overall, really really excited to see games at this point and more info on how their raytracing solution compares

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really awesome that the specs for both consoles are finally out in the wild. I'm looking forward to all the wars that are being lit up. :D
I would like to hear your opinion about kraken in comparison to BCPack and zlib, to be honest. Do away console warriors, this is really interesting to me as Kraken seems to be really fast but both claim they do compression in realtime and have a similar compression ratio, according to the specs, with a factor of ~2.
Edit: Dark1x Dictator is it possible to reach out for that for some people? This is a major thing for both SSDs and consoles and I would like to know not only more about the topic in general but also a comparison, if that is not too much to ask.

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
How come we didn't see any gains from this IO throughput stuff going from standard hard drives to stuff we have already on PC like NVME or SSD's before that? Never really saw a generational leap come from these upgrades and Isn't that already a bigger leap then what we are getting here going from, for example, NVME drives in PC's to this PS5 drive?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Have they? I don't, although I have been eyeing them. Is that something covered by Valve's occasional stat-gathering?

You know, I take that back / MOST probably don't. But I think most of the kinds of rigs that will try to play Cyberpunk 2077 will probably have an SSD by release. At which point, if you start making a AAA title now , you should be able to assume most of your audience will have one in 2-3 years when your game releases.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see how devs push the SSD to it's limits and see what kind of changes it will bring to the table. That being said, thread should have been titled "Sony devs react to PS5 specs" seeing the tweets you posted, otherwise you are just looking for troubles...

Oct 31, 2017
Sony devs react should be the tagline.

Water is wet.

This, title should be changed, third party games isn't going to use that extra speed...

Non-Sony developers have been giving high praise to it:

And a non-Sony dev on Reset calls it dream level architecture:

What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 System Architecture Deep Dive |OT| Secret Agent Cerny

I can see why they did what they did. I mean if doing it gets them to be able to clock it as high as 2.23Ghz. that's something. More importantly, though, I think people are missing something about why they could also have used a smaller chip. If it can even be called that. There is SRAM in the...

Shinobi also gave it some high marks, and he has his own studio now, IIRC. Devs seem really excited.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a super fast SSD, the PC market doesn't even have anything this fast (yet).

And even if we did, the entire market has built around HDDs because they're an extremely common low point most people still have or will use for games.

There's a really big difference when literally 100% of people in an ecosystem have an SSD and they become the determining factor for video games.

There's way, wayyyyy too much stuff in current games that are either hindered due to HDDs (e.g. Spidermans web slinging speed in Spiderman PS4) or only exist due to HDDs (all those moments where your character walks super slow and probably talks through a tight corridor or narrow passage way so the game can stream the future content from a HDD).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Going by this this thread the next couple months will be quite embarrassing with console warriors on both side trying to downplay the other plattform.

Both machines look amazing to me so far and both will get alot of great first and 3rdpartz content ....really no need to to be so sensitive about a couple positive tweets from devs.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
How come we didn't see any gains from this IO throughput stuff going from standard hard drives to stuff we have already on PC like NVME or SSD's before that? Never really saw a generational leap come from these upgrades and Isn't that already a bigger leap then what we are getting here going from, for example, NVME drives in PC's to this PS5 drive?
Games weren't made with them in mind. They've been made with HDDs in mind every time. They had to be. Until now.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because Lockhart exists right?
Xbox has the weakest console and devs have to make their games work on that console too.
Lockhart is a 1080p console. It won't hold anything back at all. You really think Microsoft wouldn't have thought of this?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
It's just bullshit by console warriors to push things their way, happened last gen and will happen this gen too. Funny to see it again. :D

PS5 TF compares to XBX TF that compares to potato TF that compares to whatever. It is a measurement for amount of floating point operations a piece of hardware can do.

i mean, it was said by mark cerny, which is why i was wondering. the whole thing about variable compressable technology and rocket science is also something which i was able to fully understand.
i really wonder, what kind of magic will happen actually next gen.

sony was the company with the worst loading times. when psx and ps2 were the rulers back in the 90s and early 2000s, i couldnt get over all the loading times. it become normal.

during the ps2-era there were some companies(factor5 and level5, i wonder if there is a coincidence?) who presented streaming technologies to get around the bottlenecks of each console(namely gc and ps2) i was in awe to see how these 2 companies showed, that you can have great games, great design and graphics and NO LOADING TIMES at all.
nintendo never had a problem with that back then, sony never caught up that thought, instead they concentrated on BR and network compatibility...

will SSD actually really solve that problem? i think the bottleneck again seems to be how I/O are being addressed during game dev.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart is a 1080p console. It won't hold anything back at all. You really think Microsoft wouldn't have thought of this?

Im not sweating it at all

The mover to Navi2/RDNA2 and adoption of SSD's across the board is all the hype magic we all need

Next gen will be hype across the board

I suppose ill leave the rest of more technical alone to debate the specifics but I feel like the over reactions have given people tunnel vision

Jan 21, 2019
yeah pretty much the fidelity of graphics is much much higher with the speed of the SSD and over a longer distance its a less of a drop off vs having to have a linear drop off and lower height of graphical fidelity.
Also it means that devs don't have to waste weeks of work on hiding loading screens.

Just remember, a scene where Joel and Ellie have to open a garage door, hold it while one of them goes to the other side and holds it for the other to go through must be made and it takes an insane amount of time for a stupid scene. Like the sound, graphics, engineering and animation team plus the actors and quality assurance have to spend a lot of time making these stupid scenes for there to be no loading.

Now devs can just make the game they want because moments where you push beyond the ps5 SSD are barely fathomable right now. It's like taking the leash off of naughty dog. They will go insane.

I really want them to make a space travel game with portals where you can jump from planet to planet at will.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really awesome that the specs for both consoles are finally out in the wild. I'm looking forward to all the wars that are being lit up. :D

The war already ended. It's the damage control stage. I wish Sony put more effort in the marketing the console that damage control and starting the reveal talk with TF don't matter.

I would like to know what more 3rd party devs think about the faster PS5 SSD. But yea, 1st party games are gonna be doing some amazing stuff that might only be possible on PS5 is my takeaway from this and Cerny did say the faster SSD speed is something that is readily available to devs without much effort from them.

Overall, really really excited to see games at this point and more info on how their raytracing solution compares

Nintendo said the same about games that are only possible on Wii U. Same as Microsoft cloud talk last gen. It's a marketing talk. Bullshit basically.

First party are going to take advantage, not 3rd party who are going to develop for both.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018

What do you think about 3rd parties games? Do you think there will be a huge difference in terms of performances between the two offerings or the experience will be the same (since the TF difference)?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The poll on this forum right now is close to 20% still using HDD. Also I wasn't referring to HDDs but standard SSDs which have a read/write speed of 500-600 MB/s. That would be the new standard speeds that third party would develop for unless you think Capcom, Namco, Rockstar, From Software, Square Enix, CD Projekt Red, etc are going to suddenly abandon the PC market.
They won't abandon the PC market, but that 20% figure will continue to shrink fast (especially when only looking at next gen capable PCs, I'm sure it's already lower than that), and "slow" SATA SSDs won't affect game design - just user experience at which game worlds stream data in. We'd be looking at open world games being better looking with stream speed (pop in effect of objects and textures) than many PCs, at least for the first few years.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
There's only 1 game I've played where this genuinely did happen and it was later patched out, essentially.

Back in the X25-M/V days, Dice forced a loading timer on everyone to stop SSD players getting in ~60s before everyone else on BFBC2.

Before this you had RAID SCSI drives in BF2 etc, but nothing like what the early Intel consumer drives added.