• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When he did the whole "It's really DEUS get it" line I definitely understood why Lily would want to murder him then

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
In order for that to be the case wouldn't the simulation have to have broken when she threw the gun? Not afterwards when she was crawling and dying from the fall?

Also, was the computer always using Lyndon's formula? I know Forrest said not to, but in a later episode Allison Pills character said she did in fact inject it into devs. It definitely went multiverse at the end there, which should have meant the simulation wouldn't break because in some universe, somewhere, Lily would have thrown the gun away like she ended up doing. Perhaps, because it was concentrating on this one universe it would still crash.

I'm not really rock solid on any of these ideas and I'm actually okay with it. A little ambiguity is fine, and for the most part it's all wrapped up with a bow, but it's fun to speculate
it split before then, when she turned her head back to Katie, the thing they saw still happened just now that universe now
by her throwing the gun she really created the multi-verse for the reality in the machine.
i see it as back to where Katie's teacher said the multiverse theory didn't follow reality. well now it does but the reality in the machine. the show's Forest and Lily are now being put into infinite realities that made it to that point. from a few days before Sergei was killed

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else think the name change is a nod to the fact that this probably exists in the same universe as Ex Machina?

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
In order for that to be the case wouldn't the simulation have to have broken when she threw the gun? Not afterwards when she was crawling and dying from the fall?

Also, was the computer always using Lyndon's formula? I know Forrest said not to, but in a later episode Allison Pills character said she did in fact inject it into devs. It definitely went multiverse at the end there, which should have meant the simulation wouldn't break because in some universe, somewhere, Lily would have thrown the gun away like she ended up doing. Perhaps, because it was concentrating on this one universe it would still crash.

I'm not really rock solid on any of these ideas and I'm actually okay with it. A little ambiguity is fine, and for the most part it's all wrapped up with a bow, but it's fun to speculate

Multiverse is the theory the system was running on at the end. It explains why Forrest was completely against using the multiverse theory as he was always planning to put himself and Lily into the simulation. By using an infinite number of universes, he has condemned countless versions of himself to hell worlds.

I thought everything was more that the simulation couldn't process a break in predetermination in the real world as the processing power was not there to see multiple realities on top of the existing reality. Lily basically caused an infinite number of realities on top of another infinite number of realities, which I think is what broke the system. But because even people are just data, the system could see up until that point. I am going to give it leeway that the system had one interpretation of events that it could show before it could not calculate past that.

But man how crappy is it that Katie is basically in charge of keeping a simulation up for Forrest because she loves him. Even when she only looks at ones where he is happy without her in his life.

And Stewart saying it was predetermined when Lily proved seconds before that it didn't have to be. The whole thing is full of tragedy.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else think the name change is a nod to the fact that this probably exists in the same universe as Ex Machina?
Pretty sure the Ex Machina universe isn't going to last much longer for humanity lol, i would say maybe Devs is a prequel but the tech on display is a literal quantum leap forward from what we saw in Ex Machina so I would doubt it, creating an AI that can pass the turing test seems like childs play in comparison to accurately simulating the universe down to a cellular level

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(finale spoilers)

I loved this ending. I never considered that they could add data to the history projection; I saw the rat being brought back to life in the previous episodes but I assumed that could only work to create something new, and not also edit what was already there in the simulation (namely, replace the Forest who was living in the simulation with the Forest who had just died). It is a very simple solution to the show's mysteries.

It means Devs was never about predicting past or future, all Forest ever wanted to achieve was to visualize a portion of the past and create an "Import" function.

It really is San Junipero like another user said, and I'm sure the government would want to do all kinds of stuff with this eternal life that is only given for 2 people on Earth, lol.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
(finale spoilers)

It really is San Junipero like another user said, and I'm sure the government would want to do all kinds of stuff with this eternal life that is only given for 2 people on Earth, lol.
I would assume it's an afterlife for everyone on earth not just two, even if they're alive in the real world. Sergei was there, Jamie was there, Lyndon and Stewart are there, bum KGB agent was there. For this system to work in the first place they had to have monumental data on everyone on earth in the first place, so they're all there and accounted for, within the show's logic these constructs are so similar to their counterparts that they're virtually the same beings, otherwise it would be a kinda fucked up ending, she would be eternally sentenced to eternity with a bunch of soulless NPC's and might even run into invisible walls if she tried to leave SF

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Liked the first half of the episode disliked the second half.

Also I really hated this one thing:

There was absolutely no reason to give her random free will to throw the gun away. If everything else was absolutely exactly the same up to that point how could she deviate that much compared to everyone else without being magic or something. Not to mention it doesn't even change the ending at all as they still both die. It just raises questions as to why Stewart did what he did at that moment as well as how he could do it? Why would he be able to stop the magnetic system? Can every dev can do that?

Started on Monday and overall my feelings are it had a lot of unnecessary bloat from being 8 episodes. Would have preferred 4 or even a movie that had to sacrifice some interesting things. I didn't like the series overall. Especially that ending.

Finally the ending really called to mind one movie for me. I wonder if it's the same for anyone else?

Source Code

Last edited:

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Her coworker with the prosthetic feet did not have them anymore on the end. Probably some other differences too. But did notice that one, because it was so obvious

Liked the ending. But show felt too long for me. Think it would have worked better as a movie or with maybe 2 or 3 episodes.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Also I really hated this one thing:

There was absolutely no reason to give her random free will to throw the gun away. If everything else was absolutely exactly the same up to that point how could she deviate that much compared to everyone else without being magic or something. Not to mention it doesn't even change the ending at all as they still both die. It just raises questions as to why Stewart did what he did at that moment as well as how he could do it? Why would he be able to stop the magnetic system? Can every dev can do that?

Her act of free will is what breaks the simulation going forward. Stewart always kills them by dropping the lift. If you watch the original version that the machine predicted, he was punching in the code to drop it. They only thought Lily's gunshot was the cause. I assume Stewart could do it because they had to have staff able to work on the lift as they were the only ones allowed in the building.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to conclude that this is a very bad show with some cool concepts.

Yeah that's basically my conclusion as well.

Her act of free will is what breaks the simulation going forward. Stewart always kills them by dropping the lift. If you watch the original version that the machine predicted, he was punching in the code to drop it. They only thought Lily's gunshot was the cause. I assume Stewart could do it because they had to have staff able to work on the lift as they were the only ones allowed in the building.

It's not though. The simulation breaks minutes later when she dies. If the simulation broke because of her choice than it would stop right when she got in before she tosses or keeps the gun. There's no real explanation for why the simulation originally stops. I had assumed it was tied to Lily which is why when she finally dies the simulation stops. Tossing the gub wouldn't explanation why the simulation shows one future for a few minutes and then cuts out.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
It's not though. The simulation breaks minutes later when she dies. If the simulation broke because of her choice than it would stop right when she got in before she tosses or keeps the gun. There's no real explanation for why the simulation originally stops. I had assumed it was tied to Lily which is why when she finally dies the simulation stops. Tossing the gub wouldn't explanation why the simulation shows one future for a few minutes and then cuts out.

I think it goes back to the first episode. When we see Sergei's limited simulation and how correlation breaks. When free will is introduced into the real world, the correlation of events start to break. We get a limited glimpse into the future that is not 100% correct until it gets too much for the system to handle. Basically, Lilly's action creates the multiverse as free will did not exist until that point. I am speculating though. I am sure there will be a post interview where the creators will discuss what they were trying to get across.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we all using spoiler tags?

Anyway

I just don't think they justified why Lily was able to make a different choice. Only thing I didn't really like.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway

I just don't think they justified why Lily was able to make a different choice. Only thing I didn't really like.

I like to think of it like a machine achieving sentience. It was the turmoil of the life she led along with observing that she was in a predetermined path that allowed her to use free will. In the series we are literally like machines following directions. If AI reaches that level there will not be a straight forward answer as to why that AI over another AI.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Anyway

the justification would be she wasn't as compulsive about it (see earlier episode where Katie moves the pen to be in the right position she saw before talking to Lily).

you can say last episode with all the devs seeing 1 second into the future being it's too short of a time to react otherwise, but given enough time to contemplate what you saw you could change things if you were so inclined.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
One could argue
They were already in the simulation from start of the show. Except at the end Lily made a choice which lead to Stewart making a choice which lead to Forest finally making a choice (to keep their memoirs from this loop variations)

Also Lily made her choice at the static screen alone before her and Forest walks out to Katie. She is always afraid to not do something and she plans ahead of time her moves

But only the times the machine was made

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Lily has freewill so everyone has freewill they were just compelled to follow their future projection because most people are afraid of doing what they want (unlike Lily, who is afraid of not doing what she wants).
Homeless guy says live your life to it's fullest, which is the common philosophical saying of living in the present. Forest is stuck in the past and so doesn't experience his life (what he has, which is Katie whom he has unceremoniously abandoned to a life of depression).
Stewart knows Devs has to be destroyed because he sees that Forest and Katie have little understanding of why people do what they do. Forest and Katie are actually mirrors of most people, who are anchored to their pasts and afraid of their futures and so make no choices at all, they just float. People who do not live moments to their fullest because they're afraid of acting.

We see at the end that Lily and Forest have clearly different understandings.
Forest stuck in the past, what he had, not what he has. (Katie stuck on a past love, honestly the most heart wrenching part of the show. She gave her all to him, was Forest really interested?)
Lily always feeling what she has right now, so she goes to Jamie, not Sergei.

Forest thinking that the past is a cross to bear.
Lily thinking that it is a place to move on from, that was once experienced but need not be experienced again.

I wish Lily would have said why she broke up with Jamie. I think it would have tied everything together nicely. Shown the fallibility of people and therefore implied freewill. But maybe that would have messed with the ambiguous nature the show has. To come to your own conclusion.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
think this show is worth 13$? already used my hulu free trial and it's pretty much the same price as 1 month of hulu.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Is the miniseries finished (at least for the season). I don't want to read the thread just in case I get spoiled and want to binge the last half if it's done.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume it's an afterlife for everyone on earth not just two, even if they're alive in the real world. Sergei was there, Jamie was there, Lyndon and Stewart are there, bum KGB agent was there. For this system to work in the first place they had to have monumental data on everyone on earth in the first place, so they're all there and accounted for, within the show's logic these constructs are so similar to their counterparts that they're virtually the same beings, otherwise it would be a kinda fucked up ending, she would be eternally sentenced to eternity with a bunch of soulless NPC's and might even run into invisible walls if she tried to leave SF
I didn't mean that the people in the simulation aren't "real humans", I mean that the only people inside it who are aware they came from the real world with their memories, and aware that it is a simulation, are Forest and Lily (Forest even says himself that only the two know of it).
For instance, Sergei is there but he doesn't have the memories of his real life self; to him, the life in the simulation is the only life he ever knew, unlike Forest and Lily who were given a second chance to live.

Min

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't assume that. There's no information that anyone else in the simulated reality existed outside of this simulation except for Forest and Lily.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to conclude that this is a very bad show with some cool concepts.

Yeah those are my thoughts. This didn't need to be dragged out for 8 hours, and the Russian hacker spy part could probably be cut. The ex-military security thread line could have been rolled back too. A lot of superfluous action that detracts from the cool concepts and leads nowhere.

The best parts were the Devs team exploring the consequences of this system, e.g. the episode where it's showing the many worlds simulations and various outcomes simultaneously, and then introducing new people, not the creator, e.g. Sergei's or Lily's reactions when they learn what Devs is, and seeing how they cope with this technology.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Why does that matter? There's no evidence everything isn't a simulation from the very beginning.

Yeah and I think they heavily hint or question reality outside the Deus system being a simulation as well; however, only Lily and Forest are downloaded into the Deus system simulation. The rest of "reality" continues with everyone in it as shown by Katie outside of the "simulation" trying to get funding to keep the simulation going.

While everything is real in the simulation Lily and Forest also know that these people exist outside of this simulated reality as well as the fact that there is an infinite number of simulated realities.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Need a quantum computer to process that finale, holy shit.

Now bring on the soundtrack!

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed the finale and the show overall. Some really good direction overall.

But I can't get over the idea that if one sees the future they can't simply not do it and Lily is some groundbreaker by doing something different. It's obvious a paradox and something that can't be tested but I have some trouble buying it. Knowing your future 5 minutes ahead of time would break it.

Lily was also really bland as a protagonist. The dude from Parks was the most compelling character.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is so dumb

i'm not saying i don't like it, i kinda like it. i have been entertained. but it's very dumb.

i love to write myself into a corner and make characters recite cliche action movie lines in order to prove they're written into a corner for 20 minutes. idk

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
honestly, known I was living in a simulation that only me and one other person knew about would put me in as much of an existential crisis as knowing I might not have any real choices in life.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Great final, great series all around.

Alex Garland has sci-fi by the balls and it isn't fair to other directors and writers.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is so dumb

i'm not saying i don't like it, i kinda like it. i have been entertained. but it's very dumb.

i love to write myself into a corner and make characters recite cliche action movie lines in order to prove they're written into a corner for 20 minutes. idk

Was impressive how Lily managed to replicate the angry and desperate facial expressions she saw on the screen after not having a single emotion for 7.5 episodes.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but they showed it written as Deus in the final title card, which to me conjured the idea of "Deus Ex Machina".

When did the idea occur to you that the true title, Deus, would make this a pairing with Ex Machina?
You've already made the Chekhov's Gun allusion. Another theatrical one is deus ex machina. I had it in my head that there was a companion piece to Ex Machina. If Ex Machina is about a man who is trying to act as if he's God via technology and science, I thought there's a companion story, which is about people not trying to act as if they're God, but trying to create God. So this was the deus bit of the deus ex machina. Right from the beginning, that was the thought process. I knew that it might land like a bit of an "a-ha" reveal, which is kind of why Forest, when he does say it, he slightly throws it away and says it's a private joke — because on some level, that's really all it is. It's like the big statue; it half made me laugh or smile, but it was built into the intention of the piece.

www.rollingstone.com

'Devs' Creator Alex Garland Breaks Down the Series Finale

'Devs' writer-director Alex Garland explains the mysteries of the FX on Hulu sci-fi thriller.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The show often did feel like it was a movie plot stretched out to a series length, but apparently it was always conceived of as a show

Was there ever a version of this idea in your head that was a feature film, or was it always this miniseries?
It was always a TV show. If I set myself the task of "I'm now going to re-edit it as a two-hour movie," I can tell you, flat out, I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure there's some editor who would stick his or her hand up and say, "I know how to do it," but it was always conceived as a TV show. Personally, I can't imagine how to do it as film.

On Lyndon

You cast a female actor, Cailee Spaeny, to play Lyndon, who's referred to by others with male pronouns. What was that character's gender meant to be?
Lyndon's a boy. It was a process, really. It began by starting to look for a boy, and just feeling that something wasn't right. It was as much to do with physiology as anything. Above a certain age, there's all these things that happen to boys that have to do with shoulders and the structure of their face, and having to do with things like shaving. There was a particular quality of youth that I was hunting for, and it just occurred to me at a certain point, "What if I cast a young woman to play this boy?" I discussed that with the casting director, Carmen Cuba, and she said, "You should meet this actress, Cailee Spaeny." And as she walked through the door, I thought, "Yeah, that's him. That's Lyndon." I never saw anyone else for the role. The search stopped.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
naw it's more like
they can't just live in only 1 perfect universe they are in all of them with this new knowledge and "they" are in the good ones as well and know that some o of "them" are in bad ones but who cares "they" aren't not "them"[ and also is "them"/SPOILER]

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
It was fairly obvious they were going to
at least partially retcon Jamie's death, because it just seemed way too cruel to both him and Lily to have *another* romantic interest die a terrible death. I suspected some reality-bending shenanigans and was not disappointed.
Architecturally and visually, this episode really reminded me of Sunshine, glad to see Garland nodding back to
still the best thing he's ever written.

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
man knowing that you're dead and everyone is a simulation and there are an infinite number of versions of you, many of which are living some kind of excruciating hell-life, that's heavy shit.