• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The expository dialogue from Lily's ex at the end of the first episode was so awful. Nobody talks in this robotic, rhetorical way in real life.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
visually and music wise this show is top notch! .. somehow it reminds me a bit of midsommar

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
wow. such a good episode. two perfect moments really stood out for me:

1. The horrible, existential terror of the one second projection. I think this might be one of the scariest things I've seen in a show in a long time given the implications in the stories universe.

2. Stewarts recital of Aubade

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
wow. such a good episode. two perfect moments really stood out for me:

1. The horrible, existential terror of the one second projection. I think this might be one of the scariest things I've seen in a show in a long time given the implications in the stories universe.

2. Stewarts recital of Aubade

Agree on both regards. Especially #1 was straight up horrifying to see.

So well done.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
also go watch "Everything's Gonna be Ok" and then come back here and say Lily is robotic or that no one talks that way. cause on that show the multiple characters and actors are autistic and it's the best show of 2020

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Spoilers if you have not watched the last episode:

I note the version of the poem Stewart recites is slightly different from our universes...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the scene with Lyndon, but stepping over the railing just doesn't make much sense to me, even given all they said to justify it.

I get that it's meant to be a "show of faith" or whatever, but it still doesn't make sense for someone to do that as some kind of faith in the multiple world's theory.
Obviously if you believe in it you believe that everything that can happen will happen in some universe, but why would Lyndon think that THIS universe would be the one where they wouldn't fall?

Maybe I'm just seeing it too much from my perspective, but if someone told me I was about to step over a railing and let go and they WOULDN'T tell me the result, I wouldn't just go and do it. I would just assume the person telling me that was lying, or just saying that because that's what the projection showed.
Maybe if Lyndon had see the footage firsthand it would have worked better for me.

Really good episode though. Felt so bad for Jamie, especially after Forrest straight up lying to him about how everything was going to be OK (unless he was referencing something else).
And I totally understand that Lily was in shock after everything that happened, but don't go and touch stuff in the crime scene! (I am in the middle of rewatching Dexter, so maybe I'm more sensitive to that right now, haha).

Still have no idea where the last episode is going to go or what this "event" is Lily is supposed to cause or how it's supposed to happen.
That's a rarity these days and it's making me even more excited to see it. I just hope it sticks the landing.

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the scene with Lyndon, but stepping over the railing just doesn't make much sense to me, even given all they said to justify it.

I get that it's meant to be a "show of faith" or whatever, but it still doesn't make sense for someone to do that as some kind of faith in the multiple world's theory.
Obviously if you believe in it you believe that everything that can happen will happen in some universe, but why would Lyndon think that THIS universe would be the one where they wouldn't fall?

Maybe I'm just seeing it too much from my perspective, but if someone told me I was about to step over a railing and let go and they WOULDN'T tell me the result, I wouldn't just go and do it. I would just assume the person telling me that was lying, or just saying that because that's what the projection showed.
Maybe if Lyndon had see the footage firsthand it would have worked better for me.

Really good episode though. Felt so bad for Jamie, especially after Forrest straight up lying to him about how everything was going to be OK (unless he was referencing something else).
And I totally understand that Lily was in shock after everything that happened, but don't go and touch stuff in the crime scene! (I am in the middle of rewatching Dexter, so maybe I'm more sensitive to that right now, haha).

Still have no idea where the last episode is going to go or what this "event" is Lily is supposed to cause or how it's supposed to happen.
That's a rarity these days and it's making me even more excited to see it. I just hope it sticks the landing.

The main idea here is 'quantum immortality', which is what they discussed and basically the idea that from Lyndon's perspective he could only continue exisiting in a reality where he didn't fall, so to him he didn't fall and was allowed back into Devs.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The expository dialogue from Lily's ex at the end of the first episode was so awful. Nobody talks in this robotic, rhetorical way in real life.
Yeah, I don't think Garland can direct actors very well. He was lucky to have performers like Oscar Isaac and Natalie Portman for his films.

Nick Offerman is killing it here, but the rest of the performances are fan-film tier. Well below what I'd expect from an FX show.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Garland can direct actors very well. He was lucky to have performers like Oscar Isaac and Natalie Portman for his films.

Nick Offerman is killing it here, but the rest of the performances are fan-film tier. Well below what I'd expect from an FX show.
Yeah, I think he lucked out getting best of their generation lead actors and actresses with Annihilation and Ex Machina. The direction choices with Lily were strange.

Oh wow, I had no idea that was her. Absolutely loved her in Maniac. Definitely all on direction.
Yup. Her entire look was intoxicating and her interactions with Theroux.

Vic Tokai

Aug 9, 2018
At this point, I'm thinking maybe the "cutoff point" is simply caused by Lily destroying the machine. Forest and Katie just ascribed some grand significance to this event because they were high on their own supply... They so believed they had solved the riddles of the universe that they were incapable of even considering the simple fact that the machine simply couldn't see beyond the point of its own destruction. The machine is not infallible, and their faith in it was misplaced. They caused so much death and misery for others for no other reason than their own hubris. The end.

I would be ok with this ending, but I have no idea what the chances are of this theory being right. I just hope I'm at least somewhat satisfied by the actual ending.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I'm thinking maybe the "cutoff point" is simply caused by Lily destroying the machine. Forest and Katie just ascribed some grand significance to this event because they were high on their own supply... They so believed they had solved the riddles of the universe that they were incapable of even considering the simple fact that the machine simply couldn't see beyond the point of its own destruction. The machine is not infallible, and their faith in it was misplaced. They caused so much death and misery for others for no other reason than their own hubris. The end.

I would be ok with this ending, but I have no idea what the chances are of this theory being right. I just hope I'm at least somewhat satisfied by the actual ending.

The machine doesn't create the future, it just projects it. That's like smashing your tv to prevent a disaster from happening.

God I hope the finale nails it. I can't wait.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
As I've said before, I don't think it's going to be some big dramatic thing. I just think that the machine is going to cause itself to be incorrect, and that's going to fuck the whole program. It's going to project something that Lily then doesn't do. The future being observed changed it's behaviour, like a quantum particle. Which fits with the whole theme/focus on the show.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I've been watching this one pretty closely and so far I like it.

As for the last episode, then Lyndon's demise felt awkward and forced. Was there a multiverse option where he was pushed? It just seemed so pointless. Also, Lily going into Devs and the projections being static beyond that are either a...
thing happening with the necromancy machine or different multiverses converging somehow. Maybe both of the above.

Vic Tokai

Aug 9, 2018
The machine doesn't create the future, it just projects it. That's like smashing your tv to prevent a disaster from happening.

God I hope the finale nails it. I can't wait.

I... didn't say anything about the machine creating the future? I quite explicitly referred to its abilities as seeing.

I also didn't say anything about Lily destroying the machine because she wanted to prevent something? Huh? I would imagine, if she destroys it, it would simply be out of anger.

Are you sure it was my comment you meant to reply to?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I've been watching this one pretty closely and so far I like it.

As for the last episode, then Lyndon's demise felt awkward and forced. Was there a multiverse option where he was pushed? It just seemed so pointless. Also, Lily going into Devs and the projections being static beyond that are either a...
thing happening with the necromancy machine or different multiverses converging somehow. Maybe both of the above.
if there's a scenario you can think of then it happened they just won't or can't show all of them possible things

someone suggested that due to the opening of episode 7 it implies
all the universes will go out of sync b/c the song sample goes out of sync towards the end of the cli. And maybe the thing Lily does causes free will while everything in the universe up to this point was deterministic

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The main idea here is 'quantum immortality', which is what they discussed and basically the idea that from Lyndon's perspective he could only continue exisiting in a reality where he didn't fall, so to him he didn't fall and was allowed back into Devs.
Yeah, thinking about it more from Lyndon's perspective, they are having kind of a breakdown by not being on the Devs team anymore, so doing something suicidal to potentially get back in (or die trying) makes sense from their perspective.
She was taking the gun, not just touching it.
Yeah, I did get that after the scene was over, but at first it looks like she just picks it up and moves it to the over side of the body for some reason.

At first I wondered if that was some "10 moves ahead Chess/Go" strategy thing (staging the crime scene in such a way to prove her innocence or something), but then I realized it might have just been a weirdly shot moment and she probably did just bring the gun with her to Devs.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I... didn't say anything about the machine creating the future? I quite explicitly referred to its abilities as seeing.

I also didn't say anything about Lily destroying the machine because she wanted to prevent something? Huh? I would imagine, if she destroys it, it would simply be out of anger.

Are you sure it was my comment you meant to reply to?

Her destroying the machine would have no effect on the static then. Merely destroying a machine that projects the future does not render a machine that projects the future unable to see it in the past.

Vic Tokai

Aug 9, 2018
Her destroying the machine would have no effect on the static then. Merely destroying a machine that projects the future does not render a machine that projects the future unable to see it in the past.

The "static" is a point beyond which they cannot see the future. Their view of the past is not blocked. The static is the point at which they can't see any further ahead.

As Stewart said in the last episode, the machine exists in a recursive sense. It simulates itself, which simulates itself, etc. I was thinking about this, as well as about the scene in an earlier episode where they showed some early experiments where they were asking it to compute only projections that covered a small physical space, before they started slowly expanding that space to begin including the people standing outside the test chamber. This led me to thinking about whether or not the machine treats its own molecular state as a kind of spatial "starting point" from which its calculations of the rest of the universe spread outwards... If there is a point in the future beyond which its own operational molecular state no longer exists, then perhaps it wouldn't have a "starting point" for calculating anything beyond the point in the future when it is destroyed. This felt like the kind of thing for which a "TV plausible" pseudoscientific gobbledygook explanation could be concocted. I have absolutely no idea how likely this is to be the actual explanation, of course. It was just a fun little idea I had.

In reality, I'm sure there's a better chance that the actual explanation in the finale will be something a bit more metaphysical/philosophical... or not. Who knows! We'll all have to wait until later this week to find out, since we do not have our own Devs machine, unfortunately, ha!

EDIT: Just realized that in order for that to work, the machine wouldn't be able to see points in the past BEFORE its own creation, as well. So, yeah, I have now refuted my own little theory. That's what I get for publicly posting drunken late night ideas!

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Really great to see Zack Grenier get a big part in this. Enjoyed his work as a character actor for decades, especially his role in Fight Club as Ed Norton's boss.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Unless
we've been observing one of the simulations, in which case their entire world will end as the infinitely recursive versions of Lily turn off the machine.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless
we've been observing one of the simulations, in which case their entire world will end as the infinitely recursive versions of Lily turn off the machine.

Yes. That's possible. I guess I'm hoping it's grander than "it was all a simulation." in the classic sense. Garlands other endings tend to have a bit more horror to it than that.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really like this take:

I'm more interested in exploring the character and storytelling themes of the show rather than the science and concept theories I'm seeing here.

So Garland has talked a lot about how Silicon Valley figures perceive themselves as gods, how they basically live in a bubble. He's directly critiqued their single mindedness within the show, and critiqued how unjust their power is in episodes like when Lily faked a suicide attempt. In the interview from last month with Offerman (you can find it on YouTube), he says how a common perception of science is that it has all the answers, but he sees it as something more uncertain and that the people who think they know actually don't.

Look at the endings of Ex Machina and Annihilation. Garland's directorial works have had a theme of women being beaten down and broken by the world around them, only for them to outsmart and conquer that world in the end. In EM, Oscar Isaac was so certain of the world he built, so certain of his genius, and it all imploded on him. He was completely wrong about his creations. Forest is the same. Him and Katie are cult leaders, their creation is this machine that tells them the future and they obey it. They are culpable for their actions and Lily is coming to expose them and make them confront what they've done, that "life is something we watch" is total bullshit. Forest and Katie will probably go completely insane after they're still breathing when Lily breaks the simulation. This not only seems to me in line with Garland's other work, but also just a way more compelling end to the series than just the villains basically being correct. To me, this show has always been leading towards that, the confrontation between a normal person's life that silicon valley thinks nothing of in exchange for the reality they've decided must be real. It was kind of crystallized in that scene of Forest and Katie just smiling and giggling about dinosaur movies while Lily walks up to Devs, completely emotionally destroyed and lost. They didn't care at all, they never have. They lied to Jaime and killed him, withheld information from Lily, killed Lyndon and Sergei, all for their own personal motivation. "I couldn't change it" isn't an excuse, and I'd be pretty surprised if the show doesn't make a definitive statement about human choice before its over.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if Lily ends up playing Go with "herself" in the simulation, or playing it with Forest in real-life and in the simulation and that's where she breaks the simulation.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow. What an amazing show. That finale was great. Didn't expect to love it after the first couple episodes but it gets better and better and better. Itching to do a rewatch down the line to see how knowing how things unfold makes te show in retrospect.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Holyshiiiiiiit

Just finished. I absolutely loved it! Goddamn, I can't believe it went where it did, and I never saw it coming either.

They were building a fucking San Junipero (Black Mirror) the entire time, and they just call it Deus! All of the images and projections on the screen make so much sense now. Small differences in the digital afterlife I noticed was the lady who had a prosthetic leg in the first ep had her real leg back. No devs building, Lyndon and Stewart having a conversation outside of Devs. I wonder why the huge statue of Amaya would still be there if she was alive in this alternate reality. I'm stoked to read theories and stuff I might be missing but holyshit, I really really loved how this just ended

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the ending but I'm still not clear why the simulation couldn't see further. Was it simply because they
turned it inwards? Or did it never actually stop and they just wanted her to kill Forrest and in effect restart him inside the simulation

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the ending but I'm still not clear why the simulation couldn't see further. Was it simply because they
turned it inwards? Or did it never actually stop and they just wanted her to kill Forrest and in effect restart him inside the simulation

Maybe at that point they
switch the machine from "future prediction" mode to "simulation" mode and the computing power instead gets dedicated to simulating subworlds instead of predicting the future and it has some sort of weird ripple effect that trickles backwards and makes everything past that point unpredictable? since things happening in the simulations can have an impact on the "real world" because the "real world" can observe the simulations, and since real world outcomes are based on infinitely many subworld outcomes the computational complexity gets infinite

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017

I thought it was because the system broke at the point when Lily exercised free will. The future is no longer predetermined because she had splintered the data set. She broke cause and effect which creates new possibilities.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was because the system broke at the point when Lily exercised free will. The future is no longer predetermined because she had splintered the data set. She broke cause and effect which creates new possibilities.
In order for that to be the case wouldn't the simulation have to have broken when she threw the gun? Not afterwards when she was crawling and dying from the fall?

Also, was the computer always using Lyndon's formula? I know Forrest said not to, but in a later episode Allison Pills character said she did in fact inject it into devs. It definitely went multiverse at the end there, which should have meant the simulation wouldn't break because in some universe, somewhere, Lily would have thrown the gun away like she ended up doing. Perhaps, because it was concentrating on this one universe it would still crash.

I'm not really rock solid on any of these ideas and I'm actually okay with it. A little ambiguity is fine, and for the most part it's all wrapped up with a bow, but it's fun to speculate