• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

The first two episodes will drop on Thursday, March 5. The rest of the season will air one episode at a time every Thursday. The season consists of 8 episodes.

Trailer

In Devs, a young computer engineer, Lily Chan, investigates the secretive development division of her employer, a cutting-edge tech company based in San Francisco, who she believes are behind the murder of her boyfriend.

Exclusively on FX on Hulu? What?

'FX on Hulu' is an area on the Hulu site/app where all of FX's content has been aggregated, sort of like the Star Wars tab on Disney+ where all the Star Wars content can easily be found in one place.

Devs was originally ordered to series by FX but in the end they felt it was a better fit for Hulu and that marketing it as an 'FX on Hulu' series would draw more attention to the new FX hub on Hulu.

It's unlikely that Devs will air linearly on FX in the future, but I suppose it is also technically possible. Don't hold your breath though.

Reviews

Amanda Bell of TV Guide said:
Fans of Ex Machina and Annihilation will easily recognize the landscapes and tenor of FX's Devs as Alex Garland's creation without his name even scrolling across the screen. The show exists in the same state of elegant modernity as his movies, and the mystery-building is just as intense, if unhurried.

Judy Berman of Time said:
These are heady, brain-warping ideas. And it is to Garland's credit that he has the courage to confront them head-on, resorting to neither the gratuitously gamified narrative of Westworld or Black Mirror's sensationalism. As a result, Devs is able to balance challenging concepts with clear storytelling.

Alan Sepinwall of Rolling Stone said:
There are moments throughout Devs that left me frustrated with how similarly hollow they felt, and I'm not sure the ending entirely lands. Yet the way that Garland and his collaborators composed and arranged the pictures on the screen left me entranced throughout. I'm still not sure I know what the point of the Devs project is, but I loved watching Devs unfold.

James Poniewozik of NYT said:
It showcases what Garland does well — ideas and atmosphere — while amplifying his weaknesses in character and plot. As the techies say, it scales — for better and for worse.

Dan Fienberg of THR said:
It's haunting and hypnotic, a show of marrow-seeping mood and a unity of vision that carries through every frame. If it also turns a corner from entrancingly opaque to a bit on-the-nose by the end, for fans of Garland's Ex Machina and Annihilation, chances are that you'll be too absorbed to be bothered.

Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair said:
There were some moments watching Devs—so intense and saturated—when I began to wonder if maybe a little bit of Garland goes a long way. For the most part, though, it proves a strange, somber pleasure to wander the corridors of his mind for such a long time.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
CAN'T WAIT!

Big fan of Garland and I need something to scratch that Mr. Robot itch.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the thread, Ratsky! Not sure when I'll get to this show, but I'd like to watch it eventually.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
So excited. Annihilation was easily one of the best films of the 2010's to me.

what time does Hulu drop episodes? 9pm west coast time?

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, another series I'm really anticipating that can't be streamed in Canada. Cool.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
It will air on Thursday March 5 at 10pm in Canada on FX. If you're an FX subscriber, you should be able to stream it on FX Now.

Sadly FXNow is owned by Rogers over here and they dont support all the TV providers. Plus it's not available on things like AppleTV.

Hulu really needs to stop fucking about and get working on going to other countries. Theres literally no way I can watch this legally now.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Damn I pretty much loved the first ep. The visuals are fucking amazing. Super interested to see where this goes.

Love the mystery the first ep introduces. I'm assuming the Sergei footage is some deep fake but Whatever was in the code certainly had Sergei spooked. I'm thinking Devs is working on some sort of resurrection tech, or figuring out a way to communicate with the afterlife....something crazy like that lol

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have specific VPN recommendations so I can watch the subscription Hulu let me pay for without telling me it isn't accessible outside of the US or with the VPN I was using at the time?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first ep and I liked it a lot. They revealed a lot more than I was anticipating, but it's Garland so you know it's probably not what it seems. The atmosphere and visuals are stunning, as is the score. Nick Offerman was a really inspired casting choice for the CEO. He's already terrifying right off the bat.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Were the first 2 eps supposed to be available already?

Watched them both. Really enjoying the show.

Edit: Reading is hard. Gonna be difficult to wait a week for the next episode.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know if this is going to be available on Itunes? Very excited to watch this show.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm probably gonna wait for the full season to drop so I can watch it all over the course of a week. Show sounds really interesting, although I don't know much about it and I don't really want to going in.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Damn I pretty much loved the first ep. The visuals are fucking amazing. Super interested to see where this goes.

Love the mystery the first ep introduces. I'm assuming the Sergei footage is some deep fake but Whatever was in the code certainly had Sergei spooked. I'm thinking Devs is working on some sort of resurrection tech, or figuring out a way to communicate with the afterlife....something crazy like that lol
I thought it was pretty obvious that what they're working on is a wider application of what Sergey himself was working on. As in, a prediction machine. It's how they knew he was spying, why the lady said that it if the machine works, it wouldn't change anything, and why the CEO is constantly talking about determinism. Also, if you find out that you have literally no free will whatsoever, it might make you have a panic attack, ironically.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn good start with the first 2 episodes.
I am not convinced on the lead actress, something about her just feels a little off, like she is not the best actor out there, but I dig the concept in a huge way, so can overlook that pretty small aspect. And she is not awful by any means, just not super good.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After two, I dunno how much I like it, glacially paced for a series. Is it a Series or miniseries? Thread title seems different than marketing?

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Watched the two episodes, thought they were pretty good but I have no idea where this is going for another 6 episodes

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a Series or miniseries? Thread title seems different than marketing?

It's a miniseries. Alex Garland was clear that this is a one season story.

(although, given that Garland said he wanted to do another show with the same cast, FX/Hulu might decide to make Devs into an anthology...)

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man...when
Kenton broke that Russian dude's neck on the tire at the end of the second ep. Ouch...I felt that one haha.
Damn that was brutal.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been looking forward to this (pretty sure I posted in the trailer/announcement thread) since I really have enjoyed Garland's output so far. Have not been on Hulu recently though to know it had released, so now I know it's available I will check it out.

I think I may like this new setup at Hulu since the fox merger, looking at the lineup right now the AHS summer camp season is already up, didn't used to hit streaming until the next season was airing, I won't be upset if they start bringing more adult stuff they own to Hulu this quick since I don't have television and FX actually has an output that produces at least 2-3 shows at any given moment that I really like.

enough rambling, off to bed but this is now in my to-do for tomorrow.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to this (pretty sure I posted in the trailer/announcement thread) since I really have enjoyed Garland's output so far. Have not been on Hulu recently though to know it had released, so now I know it's available I will check it out.

I think I may like this new setup at Hulu since the fox merger, looking at the lineup right now the AHS summer camp season is already up, didn't used to hit streaming until the next season was airing, I won't be upset if they start bringing more adult stuff they own to Hulu this quick since I don't have television and FX actually has an output that produces at least 2-3 shows at any given moment that I really like.

enough rambling, off to bed but this is now in my to-do for tomorrow.
Can't wait to start getting Atlanta episodes as they air as well.

And future seasons of Sunny

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Watched the first two episodes last night. This definitely feels like an Alex Garland type of show and so far I'm loving it. In addition to all the creepy shots of the Amaya campus, there are many GORGEOUS exterior shots of San Francisco. The story is intriguing even if I don't quite know where it's headed yet.

I'm really hoping they can stick the landing on this because the first two eps were great.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a haunting and spiritual show, my god. The sets and sound design are insane.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I have to say I'm getting major cosmic horror vibes from the Devs computer. I really loved the choral music and sense of dread as they entered it.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The audio and visuals are so fucking good. Both remind me of Annihilation, and Garland's other work

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good God these plot points are absurd.
I feel like I'm watching Alias.
Some cool visuals but some of it is so goofy like the James Bond watch.
I get you have to move the plot along for a mini-series, but some of it was cringey af.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to watching the first episode and I really loved it!
I pretty much guessed what the machine did before they more or less explained it (at least, what I assume it does), but it's such a cool concept that I can't wait to see where it goes.
From the hints of the dialog and the CEO's speech, the machine is basically running a simulation of the entire universe so accurate they are able to "see" the future. Kinda like that scene from season 1 of West World where the woman robot is seeing her code as she's speaking.
Good God these plot points are absurd.
I feel like I'm watching Alias.
Some cool visuals but some of it is so goofy like the James Bond watch.
I get you have to move the plot along for a mini-series, but some of it was cringey af.
I mean, the camera watch is hardly a goofy spy tool. It's not like it has a laser built into it or a super powerful magnet. Having tiny hidden cameras and/or audio recorders seems like the bare minimum when it comes to spying or corporate espionage.

When he was let into the Devs lab, I immediately noticed he had a watch on and thought he probably shouldn't have been allowed to bring that in (could have easily had a built in USB stick or something too). But I also wondered why the one person there was allowed to have headphones too, so I guess their "don't being in stuff" rule is a little flexible...

Last edited: