• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Saw someone play this, I had to turn it off, didn't want to get spoiled more, it looks good.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I found Detention ok but a bit underwhelmed by it tbh. How does this differ?

Slightly less scary to me but more immersive and with a better story and better atmosphere. I'd rank it above Detention, but I loved both. It's not (for the most part) a game that tries to make you piss your pants in fear or anything.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, lol. I was excited until I saw this. I should really get a gaming PC.

Make friends with someone who has one and break into their house to play it. Nah but seriously the game seems to fit well within base PS4/XBO specs and I would be very surprised if it doesn't get a console release on all three major systems, especially after they cleaned up on Switch with Detention.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Detention was ported to consoles through the help of their Chinese mainland publisher, but they don't have that luxury any more due to recent events, the publisher has since severed ties with them completely.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Detention was ported to consoles through the help of their Chinese mainland publisher, but they don't have that luxury any more due to recent events, the publisher has since severed ties with them completely.

As someone who doesn't have a PC powerful enough to play this, that's... really not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully some other publisher will happily take their place and port the game to other systems.

I mean come on, you can't ignore that P.T. crowd. They'll lap this up.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Just played through it and I really enjoyed it. Loved 80's Taiwan, loved how the story unfolded and how it keeps finding new way to make us progress. And really surprised how touching it can be, some moments really got to me.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play horror games where I have to run away from monsters, even less when you have to hide. It's why I never finished Observer despite loving the style and why I played Soma only when the safe mod came out purely for the atmosphere and experience.. Is this anything like that?

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I played about half of it so far I think, it's kinda neat but not great so far. The atmosphere is cool and it feels like an expansion of the PT formula but instead of super cryptic nonsense puzzles there are super obvious puzzles. The scares are mostly pretty cliche and not entirely effective, but there have been a couple good ones. Some of the storytelling is neat but again the story isn't that great thus far, it has that issue a lot of metaphorical horror stories have were everything has to be laden with super obvious symbolism and hamfisted techniques. The walking speed is wayyyy too slow as well. It's worth a look if you're really into these sort of games, but I think it's more of a curiosity for me so far but maybe it gets a lot better.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play horror games where I have to run away from monsters, even less when you have to hide. It's why I never finished Observer despite loving the style and why I played Soma only when the safe mod came out purely for the atmosphere and experience.. Is this anything like that?
No, it's like Edith Finch but horror

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yup.I just checked my game on Switch and it was published by a Shang Hai based publisher called Cocounut Island. Their website doesn't list Detention anymore, although I'm not sure if it was recently removed or was never listed before.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The second this comes back on the steam store, I'm buying it. It was very much on my radar but this 'getting pulled off the store for god knows what reason' is horseshit. These devs need support.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever heard about the Winnie the Pooh controversy, I didn't expect this to actually be a really good game.

Now I need to look into this.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think taking the game down at this juncture over a meme is a really bad move?

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well I guess that's who Im referring to. The people that stand to make the most money off the product whose decision it is to make.

It's not exactly something you'd as a publisher want especially being based in China itself. They've received a huge backlash from nationalists that could put them under.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping we a release on consoles and it looks great.

I never finished Detention, but I dug what I played of it.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
for what it's worth, the Netease reviewer gave it 8/10 before all the controversy. the review has of course been taken down