• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember that game "DEVOTION" which was taken off Steam because of the Winnie-the-Pooh controversy? Well it is now back for sale, albeit in a different form.

The game is going to be releasing as physical format for PC, and it will be for sale from June 8 to June 15. It is also only limited to Taiwan region only, not for oversea. If you live in Taiwan, you can purchase by the link below

shop.redcandlegames.com

《Red Candle E-Shop》 - Red Candle Games

Red Candle Games, game developer from Taiwan. We strive to bring you the most immersive gaming experience.

According to their latest words, they acknowledge that this limited sales isn't going to satisfy every gamers who are hoping to play it, but they are continuing to explore other possibilities, and is seeking patience and trust from the gamers.

It will come in 2 physical edition
the normal edition (980NT):
Game + storybook + bookmark + stickers

devotion_miniA-min.png

normal edition + OST (1200NT):
devotion_MiniB-min.png

products-min.png

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Damn, sad times.

Was really hoping I could pick up a copy of this. I loved Detention and I'm quite gutted I still can't buy a copy of Devotion.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
That physical edition looks gorgeous. I would love to get a copy.

I am glad it is back being sold, even in such a limited fashion. That bodes well for the future, and I hope it's widely available again soon.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, i got pumped at first but this is a real bummer. i mean, it wont stop anyone who really wants it from using a proxy buyer (if they can find one) in Taiwan for this, but it's a shame its not a true global release. such a shame what happened to this.

anyone know if the game is censored from its original release in any form?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they work a deal to publish it in the West, either with a limited print run or with a publisher willing to demolish bridges with China? I guess they would lose all their audience in China, but this has already happened, I think.

I wish them luck.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Couldn't they work a deal to publish it in the West, either with a limited print run or with a publisher willing to demolish bridges with China? I guess they would lose all their audience in China, but this has already happened, I think.

I wish them luck.

They could self-publish it and regionlock the game, so Chinese Steam users cant buy it.

The question is how Valves take is on that. The Chinese government got involved and revoked the Chinese publishers business licence and I wonder if Valve would risk that whole market just so they have one small game on their storefront.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
They could self-publish it and regionlock the game, so Chinese Steam users cant buy it.

The question is how Valves take is on that. The Chinese government got involved and revoked the Chinese publishers business licence and I wonder if Valve would risk that whole market just so they have one small game on their storefront.

As long as it's not available to purchase in mainland China I'm not sure why the Chinese government would care?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
For this pre-order product, the delivery location is limited to Taiwan Peng Jinma. Overseas players should not place orders.

Damn, that sucks.
Well, if anyone in Taiwan would like to help me acquire this I will pay.

Last edited:

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
This game is fucking great. One of the best horror games I've ever played, and also one of the best games from last year in my opinion. You should all be playing it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I was thinking with the title that it was going to be EGS lol, but this is quite the bummer. Always wanted to play this, but never got a chance. Hopefully, they can get some kind of deal with a western publisher or something. There has to be a way to release this game.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
They also released a trailer for the game today for this re-release

Wow, what a cool trailer. I really should play this since I was lucky enough to get it on Steam before they took it down.

I hope this Taiwan-only rerelease opens the door for them to release the game elsewhere.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It sucks piracy is so rampant in China that releasing it without DRM is probably impossible. If they could do it without DRM they could sell it themselves off their website digitally.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, it's nice to see their game getting released again in some form. It's really worth experiencing.

I would also be very happy to pay someone to ship one of these to Canada.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking with the title that it was going to be EGS lol, but this is quite the bummer. Always wanted to play this, but never got a chance. Hopefully, they can get some kind of deal with a western publisher or something. There has to be a way to release this game.

I was thinking the same but maybe they're under a contractual obligation with their old publisher limiting any digital sales and this their way around it.

I would love to buy it. Heard nothing but praise.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I wish them luck.

I am guessing they are trying to release it in a very low-key manner and hoping China government doesn't catch on, while testing the water to see if the backlash has subsided. If nobody make any noise and everything goes smoothly, they will likely release it in more ways carefully.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Truly beautiful package, would love to have it.

Either way, hopefully they can find a way to release ww/digital again.

Fukuro

Feb 24, 2020
So glad they're still working to get it back on sale. I only got the chance to play it once but it was a pretty special game.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So glad it isn't completely dead and the devs are fighting for it. What a masterpiece.
Shame it's Taiwan only tho :(

May 17, 2018
One of the greatest horror games of all time. I hope whenever it's re-released it gets another shot at GotY awards because it was fucking robbed, since no one really got to play it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Strange how the story around the game has me interested in it more than I would be.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fucking great. One of the best horror games I've ever played, and also one of the best games from last year in my opinion. You should all be playing it.
I wish more people had the chance to get it at all. It is really good but sad for the dev they weren't able to have more people buying it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Still really frustrated that I slacked off and didn't just buy this day 1, for no reason beyond being a little unsure if I could run it still, after loving Detention. And ended up missing the chance to get it at all. There's an LP by some folks I follow that I'll probably cave and watch at some point, but I'm still hoping it'll be back out in English eventually...

Nov 22, 2017
I have a taiwanese friend with relatives there which means I can buy it, deliver it at there place and have it send them to me... but,
does it come with english text ? Also, is there a possibility that it gets stuck at customs in Taiwan ?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Devotion is back in any form, but the combination of physical only and no overseas shipping is a bummer. Hope this gets a wider physical release at some point, would love to get a copy of that beautiful collectors edition! Oh, and I'd also like to play that game some point ...

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it only going to be purchasable on their site?

If not, I could see places like YesAsia getting stock that is importable.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a taiwanese friend with relatives there which means I can buy it, deliver it at there place and have it send them to me... but,
does it come with english text ? Also, is there a possibility that it gets stuck at customs in Taiwan ?

the web site says it support multiple languages (Eng/Chinese/Japanese/Korean)

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is disappointing news. From the title I expected something weird with the distribution, but nothing like that. Hopefully, it at least opens a path for a wider release in the future.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I assume after this game caught the CCP's attention so directly, any foreign publishers and distributors would be publicly making themselves Enemies of The Chinese People and State™ if they so much as dared to touch this, or anything Red Candle ever makes in the future, and lose out on that sweet sweet 1% of China money that makes Wall Street get erect - That goes for Steam too.

I'd imagine even Import Sites that want to keep doing business in China won't give this the time of day either.

So yeah, uh, best of luck to Red Candle, but the simple reality is they got into a position where the CCP put a crosshair directly on them, and have been forced into this business model (Website Sale Only, Physical Only, Domestic Only) which simply isn't going to be viable long-term.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm tempted. It's been exactly a decade since the last physical PC game I bought. I don't even have a DVD drive in this PC. But, man, am I tempted.

Leeves

Mar 15, 2019
I'm tempted. It's been exactly a decade since the last physical PC game I bought. I don't even have a DVD drive in this PC. But, man, am I tempted.
The game comes in USB drive in this physical copy, so actually you don't need CD/DVD player. :D

The question is delivery only to Taiwan.
I think for an Indie dev they need much more time to seek a solution for global distribution, especially for physical edition.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
The game comes in USB drive in this physical copy, so actually you don't need CD/DVD player. :D

The question is delivery only to Taiwan.
I think for an Indie dev they need much more time to seek a solution for global distribution, especially for physical edition.

I really don't think there is a solution for them in this matter. No business that wants to ever do business in China again will ever cooperate with Red Candle, not while Xi Jinping is still alive. The CCP has an eye directly on them after the Winnie the Pooh poster, and anyone who gives any material support to Red Candle is going to find doing business in China difficult going forward.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game that good? What makes it so good? It's such a shame that I'd be missing out on a good horror game, especially since I only play on console. I was hopeful for a console release before the controversy happened and now it feels like a dream.