• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
Couldn't quite grasp all the gameplay aspects from the video, not quite sure if this is an idle game?
Art direction looks interesting, will wishlist this and wait for more impressions and reviews when the time comes.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Love the aesthetic, but I can tell this ain't one for me. I'll keep an eye on it though, I'm still not entirely sure how it actually plays

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm not one for idle games but this one still has me interested. I hope this recent bout of impressions means the game is due to release soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Tbh, I'm not entirely sure I understand what it even is lol

Basically, all the numbers and shit from complex RPG mechanics and none of the fun or interesting world or context. And then a number of the game's processes happen without you doing anything.

Some idle games are "clicker" sorts, where there's at least that as an active thing early on, but most seem to become fully automated eventually.

Either way, they're upsetting addictive and completely empty of purpose, so perfect for modern life. I have played far too many.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This looks pretty amazing so far and right up my alley. Also just watched an Easy Allies 20 minute playthrough vid which clears up a lot of what the moment to moment gameplay looks like:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Tbh, I'm not entirely sure I understand what it even is lol
For those who only care about numbers and stats increasing and not the gameplay to achieve said things. It's basically the epitome of just playing for the sake of seeing numbers go up (like in your standard grind-only MMO) because some don't want to be bothered with running, jumping, pressing keys, etc.

Not my type of kind because I usually enjoy the gameplay many games have to offer and if I don't, I play something different.

Nov 9, 2017
For those who only care about numbers and stats increasing and not the gameplay to achieve said things. It's basically the epitome of just playing for the sake of seeing numbers go up (like in your standard grind-only MMO) because some don't want to be bothered with running, jumping, pressing keys, etc.

Not my type of kind because I usually enjoy the gameplay many games have to offer and if I don't, I play something different.

OK, cool. I was hoping for something more like Ogre Battle 64

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Watching that video, I'm not sure I'd classify this as an idle game? The only idle aspect is that you don't actively participate in fights. Seems more like a rogue-lite deckbuilder strategy game since you are generally doing something active with the game at all times. Doesn't really seem like a game you'd let sit in the background for 3 hours and then check in on it for a minute.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Idle games are tremendous. I don't usually stick with them for long, but I love the design and distillation. NGU Idle kept me busy for awhile most recently. I'm going to keep my eye on this game.

For those wondering what an idle game is, imagine all the progression in RPGs (and most modern games now) but strip away all the bells and whistles and interactive bits that don't involve raw numbers. Then instead of quests, mob grinding, crafting etc you just click a button to gain a tiny bit of xp. Now eventually you get enough xp to level up! You'll have choices similar to skill trees or stats, and some of these will usually lead to 'idle' xp, as in you no longer need to click the button. Now you're getting xp just from existing, but that button is still there and gives even more xp than you would just being idle. So you click it! Etc etc, this basically goes on forever and the numbers always get bigger.

It's modern gaming deconstructed into almost nothing and I fucking love it.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Oohh I'll definitely check it out. Love a good "idle" game. My favorite so far is Dragon Cliff which is actually 66% off on Steam right now. Has a ton of content and is very much worth checking out.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Wasn't aware it had Idle game components. Looks very interesting, but I'm always a bit wary of games with too many mechanics from different genres on top of each other.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This genre is typically known as "incremental" games. Incremental may or may not be idle.

It's one of my favorite and most played genres, especially when working from home. Lately I've been playing Progress Knight and have started playing Trimps again.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's on my wish list. :)

I didn't know it was an "idle game", though. Like Cookie Clicker? That's a genre I've never touched.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
A demo came out on Steam a few days ago. Are there no other threads for this game? Couldn't find any with search and I'm a bit surprised, I thought there was a fair bit of indie buzz behind it and the game is real fun, good style, good music. Sold me on a preorder.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
A demo came out on Steam a few days ago. Are there no other threads for this game? Couldn't find any with search and I'm a bit surprised, I thought there was a fair bit of indie buzz behind it and the game is real fun, good style, good music. Sold me on a preorder.

Yeah there is another thread. I posted in about the demo and release date, but no one cared lol

Impexus

Apr 30, 2020
Had no idea about that game, checked the store page and saw that the game has a demo. The trailer looked nice so I tried it out and I have now played the demo for almost 15 hours. This game ticks all the boxes for me, cant wait for the full release.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The rogue like thread had a lot of discussion - thats how I found out about it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Loop Hero demo is amazing, y'all. Play it and become a believer.

And for the record, "idle game" really isn't an appropriate genre for Loop Hero--there's nothing idle about it. It's a strategy roguelike, where you're basically crafting an adventuring map for your hero as you play. Every battle gives you a card or two, and every card can be put on the board for a new effect, with untold combinations and interactions between them. It's ingenious and fun as hell, and even with the demo's limitations I couldn't get enough of it.

If it doesn't make sense, just try the demo. You'll understand it in one loop, and then realise all the potential it holds.

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
just coming up for breath after playing the demo for two whole ass hours. the game isn't really an idle game. it's much closer to a roguelike, and very very fun. excited to learn it's coming out in just a few weeks!

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The Loop Hero demo is amazing, y'all. Play it and become a believer.

Yes the demo is incredible. I put 9 hours into it already. Also this game is not an idle game unless that term has changed from sit down and forget to actively being involved. You need to pay attention in Loop Hero or you will fail miserablely.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Gave the demo a quick peek and it seems like a full ass game lol. Very intriguing too, I think I'm probably gonna buy the game when it's out so I'm not gonna put any more time into the demo.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Tried the demo, it's the first time I play a game like this so that's intriguing. But I just don't knlw of I'm playing well or not. I think I've tried 4 or 5 run so far and I just can't beat the 1st dungeon boss. Not sure what I should do other than keep repeating 1st dungeon until I can unlock more permanent bonus and that geinding aspect is what I don't like from roguelikes

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
I played a stupid amount of time on the demo after a friend told me to check it out and it's amazing but I worry that the loop will feel shallow or not ramp up fast enough once you get used to it. The interface would work great on touchscreen too, so I expect a mobile port eventually.

Can't wait for the reviews/in depth player impressions.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Tried the demo, it's the first time I play a game like this so that's intriguing. But I just don't knlw of I'm playing well or not. I think I've tried 4 or 5 run so far and I just can't beat the 1st dungeon boss. Not sure what I should do other than keep repeating 1st dungeon until I can unlock more permanent bonus and that geinding aspect is what I don't like from roguelikes

Make sure you build up your base. Build the things that let you level up, give starting equipment, and a farm. Also pay attention to how you are placing things. For example if you put down 9 rocks or mountains in a group together you get a harpies nest and a lot of HP plus resources. Theres a lot of hidden tiles that appear if you place things just right. The stronger the enemies you face the better rewards you can get.
When the first boss shows up he places structures of power that give him a power boost for each structure standing when you fight him. To prevent this either build around your camp so he cannot place anything around it or use the oblivion cards to remove the buildings he placed.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah there is another thread. I posted in about the demo and release date, but no one cared lol

Yeah, for whatever reason the discussion has been taking place (and utterly hijacking) the general Roguelike thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/roguelike-embrace-the-dnmroa.37180/post-57860562

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I had a lot of trouble until I realized setting down Lighthouse cards/tiles was messing me up something fierce; take it out of your deck. The reason is you don't want to complete loops as quickly as possible, you want the exact opposite. The lich levels up with each loop, so you want to put down as many rocks / mountains / meadows as possible in as few loops as you can; in turn this means you want to fight a lot of enemies (also because they give experience that when filled allows you to choose a perk). Tiles like the Spider Coccoon can help a lot in that regard, as well as some of the semi-secret combos (like Village + Vampire Mansion, next to each other). Ideally you should fight the lich around loop 6/7.

Set down rocks in a 3x3 pattern to create a Mountain Peak, then set mountains close to each other (use rocks for tiles that won't have many adjacent mountains, like map edges). Set meadows next to non-meadow tiles to make them bloom and provide 3 heal per sunrise instead of 2 (you can easily do this by setting treasuries in a Chess Knight pattern).

If you're close to summoning the lich (the bar that summons it is filled when placing down tiles and drained when deleting it), but are relatively close to the camp, hold your cards and don't put down any until you're past the camp. This will give you an extra loop of pulling and putting down mountains, etc.