• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 23, 2019
Console warring? What console am I exactly warring about? LOL

And do you really need an explanatiopn as to the point being made? Isn't this place supposedly filled with intelligent posters? Even my 7 year old daughter understood the point from the intial post.

Too bad your point is invalidated by the fact that the Switch, Vita, 3DS, etc. have all had ridiculously long load times that make this look like child's play. The fact that you are even trying to defend that ridiculous comment says all we need to know about your intentions. In any case, I'm done talking to you.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The way that's worded makes me think there are 2 separate settings: Prioritize Resolution/Framerate and Raytracing On/Off.

With Raytracing On, you have 4k30 vs 1080p60, with Raytracing Off, you have 4k60 vs 1080p120.
Reading it again, I do agree with you, perfect!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
PS5 vs PC SSD

kymWul5.gif

By teeda on Beyond 3d
forum.beyond3d.com

Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

DMC 5 Special edition PS5 load in 4 seconds or less against 24 seconds on PS4 From a youtube video of a japanese streamer This is faster than PC version with a SSD. Good optimization 3 to 4 seconds depending of the mission. It's a good game for those that haven't played it. Great speed up...

EDIT:

Does separate IO controller help without optimizing (i.e. just being there automatically makes game load faster), or do you have to use some new API to make good use of it?

There is a new API but the good things the CPU is not part of the I/O stack. it ask for an uncompressed file and wait the answer from the I/O complex (ARM IO coprocessor, decompressor), custom SSD controller and SSD.

cbloomrants.blogspot.com

How Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture supercharge the IO system of the Sony PS5

The Sony PS5 will have the fastest data loading ever available in a mass market consumer device, and we think it may be even better than yo...

The Sony PS5 will have the fastest data loading ever available in a mass market consumer device, and we think it may be even better than you have previously heard. What makes that possible is a fast SSD, an excellent IO stack that is fully independent of the CPU, and the Kraken hardware decoder. Kraken compression acts as a multiplier for the IO speed and disk capacity, storing more games and loading faster in proportion to the compression ratio.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
They said instant. This is 4 seconds faster than instant.

Sarcasm aside, this is very impressive.

Some games load faster than this and some devs told their games load faster like Kena where they told 2 seconds from OS screen to games and same NBA 2k1 they talked about 2 seconds loading. Sony said near instant.

And all of this without oodle texture and maybe not full optimization of games.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
After buying DMC4 3x I thought I wasn't gonna be fooled again by Capcom but here I go again. Urgh

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
My test with a gen 3 nvme. i7 9700k (no OC) and 'WD_BLACK SN750'

Seems like 6 or 7 seconds for this same mission.

edit scratch that, there is a 'DX12' mode you can only enable from a ini file for some reason, seems faster

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
EDIT: Nevermind, the bad part was indeed showing the 4k30fps mode...

I did notice a few drops throughout the whole initial area though, especially when the fight starts.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019
Switch, Vita, 3DS don't use cartridges, it's just regular flash memory.
Of course they have load times.
The Switch only supports UHS-1 cards, which have a maximum speed of 104MB/s. PS5's SSD is over 50 times faster. While Vita's memory cards are notoriously slow, less than 10 MB/s

EDIT: Hold up I parsed your post wrong, disregard.

Last edited:

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I'm so angry at myself for wanting this even though I have the ps4 version and I feel really annoyed that I have to buy the game again...

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm so gonna miss taking bathroom breaks in between loading screens

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PS5 vs PC SSD

kymWul5.gif

By teeda on Beyond 3d
forum.beyond3d.com

Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

DMC 5 Special edition PS5 load in 4 seconds or less against 24 seconds on PS4 From a youtube video of a japanese streamer This is faster than PC version with a SSD. Good optimization 3 to 4 seconds depending of the mission. It's a good game for those that haven't played it. Great speed up...

EDIT:

There is a new API but the good things the CPU is not part of the I/O stack. it ask for an uncompressed file and wait the answer from the I/O complex (ARM IO coprocessor, decompressor), custom SSD controller and SSD.

cbloomrants.blogspot.com

How Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture supercharge the IO system of the Sony PS5

The Sony PS5 will have the fastest data loading ever available in a mass market consumer device, and we think it may be even better than yo...

It's faster on PS5, even after a button prompt which is absent in the PC version.

Capcom included the hold button to continue for a reason, lol. This thing is too fast.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I did my own test for this. I got a friend to record footage of the game using the original PS4 and send the footage to me. I recorded the demo on my PS4 Pro (I don't own the game on consoles). I recorded the game on my PC (dx12 mode, ryzen 3900x, game is on an SSD with 2000 MB/s read speed). I start counting from the first frame which is completely black and stop at the first frame of gameplay (or in the case of the PS5 footage, first frame showing the X).

Mission 2:
PS4: 23.35 seconds
PS4 Pro: 19 seconds
PS5: 4.28 seconds
PC: 4.75 seconds

Mission 13:
PS4: 23.3 seconds
PS5: 2.15 seconds
PC: 5.6 seconds

I'm thinking they're not doing anything extraordinary to gain faster loading speed (like changing the file formats to what the PS5 hardware can natively decompress). These numbers sound believable considering the better CPU and super high SSD speeds in the PS5.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

s y

Nov 8, 2017
My biggest issue with the game fixed

YES

those hell and hell restarts will be so much less painful.

Last edited:

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I mean, DMC5SE likely isn't optimized for the storage speed of the PS5. The game and technology was built for the eighth generation of systems and therefore the assumption that it needs to create a buffer of assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay—as the PS4 did—and brute force loads all of that instead of subdividing that like you could with a ground-up PS5 game.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Can you transfer the games you have on PS4 to PS5? Because this is cool and all, but I want to play the games I have on the PS4 on the PS5, actually.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Some yes, Some no.
DMCV needs to be purchased again.
Ah, I see.

I'm guessing that the "virtual console" games will be transferred? I just want to know if you can play PS4 games on your PS5. That's all I ask for. Then I'd probably give a damn about how fast it loads. (Not that I don't, mind you, but what I can play on the system is what will make or break it for me).

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Can't really compare to the PC version due to the fact that the SE version was developed around the SSD requirements of next gen. The PC using ssd is comparable to the series x using the ssd for DMCV.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I did my own test for this. I got a friend to record footage of the game using the original PS4 and send the footage to me. I recorded the demo on my PS4 Pro (I don't own the game on consoles). I recorded the game on my PC (dx12 mode, ryzen 3900x, game is on an SSD with 2000 MB/s read speed). I start counting from the first frame which is completely black and stop at the first frame of gameplay (or in the case of the PS5 footage, first frame showing the X).

Mission 2:

Mission 13:

I'm thinking they're not doing anything extraordinary to gain faster loading speed (like changing the file formats to what the PS5 hardware can natively decompress). These numbers sound believable considering the better CPU and super high SSD speeds in the PS5.
Good work. Appreciate the analysis. Exactly why I'm very HAPPY with the load times, but not necessarily super impressed.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I mean, DMC5SE likely isn't optimized for the storage speed of the PS5. The game and technology was built for the eighth generation of systems and therefore the assumption that it needs to create a buffer of assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay—as the PS4 did—and brute force loads all of that instead of subdividing that like you could with a ground-up PS5 game.
Huh? Isn't the SE version only for next gen. Developers can optimize the game for ssd storage

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm even more motivated to double dip. Replaying missions was such a chore in the original. This is fantastic.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Huh? Isn't the SE version only for next gen. Developers can optimize the game for ssd storage

Oh sure, but redesigning the data model is a lot of work for a re-release where—especially this early in the generation—most people (including myself) would have no problem with a 4 second loading time. It's not worth the engineering expense to completely eliminate. (and there probably isn't enough time to do so and make launch, sounds like they're barely gonna get out the door as it is).

I only bring it up to point out that a comparison of DMC5 and DMC5SE loading times probably isn't a good indicator of how often we'll encounter loading screens and how long they'll be in this gen.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I added prologue PC and Xbox Series X with stock DMC5 into my numbers:

Prologue:
Xbox Series X (DMC5): 4.73 seconds
PC: 6 seconds

Mission 2:

Mission 13:

Xbox Series X seems to have a similar lead to PC as PS5 running DMC5 SE. That definitely makes me think Capcom didn't change how loading works in DMC5 SE and just let the new hardware flex its muscles (aka super-fast SSD).

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I added prologue PC and Xbox Series X with stock DMC5 into my numbers:

Prologue:
Xbox Series X (DMC5): 4.73 seconds
PC: 6 seconds

Mission 2:

Mission 13:

Xbox Series X seems to have a similar lead to PC as PS5 running DMC5 SE. That definitely makes me think Capcom didn't change how loading works in DMC5 SE and just let the new hardware flex its muscles (aka super-fast SSD).
I made some tests on my side too, and mostly arrived at the same conclusion.

Prologue was 6.55, m2 7.2 and m13 8.2 on my saturdated PCIe gen 3 nvme drive.

Craiji

May 26, 2018
I counted a hair less than 11 seconds for mission 2 on my PS4 Pro with a really good SSD, I was on the fence for a repurchase, but damn Capcom!

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Being generous and assuming PS5 uses 14GB of RAM for games, filling in 14GB in 4s gives 3.5GB/s. Why is it so slow? Developer not using the hardware decompression and the CPU bottlenecking the loading as a result?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Being generous and assuming PS5 uses 14GB of RAM for games, filling in 14GB in 4s gives 3.5GB/s. Why is it so slow? Developer not using the hardware decompression and the CPU bottlenecking the loading as a result?
Isn't the IO chip supposed to do all the work instead of involving the CPU?