• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Update: The loading on PS4/PC/XBOX is actually longer than 25 seconds, as it also loads behind the cutscene!

This group of people uploaded their second part of the "TryPlayStation5" event and it's unedited, so we got a look at boot times.

Gif by Arubedo
F89mFHC.gif

Mission 13:
ThoroughGleamingAuk-size_restricted.gif

DMC5 SE PS5

DMC5 PS4

Also to note, they added a "press X to start" prompt.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That was like 7 seconds. PS5 a clunker out the gate confirmed.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Very cool! This version has been enhanced specifically to take advantage of better SSD? Or just raw speed improvement?

Edit:
That was like 7 seconds. PS5 a clunker out the gate confirmed.
LOL. Time to begin the millisecond wars....

For the PS5 version, Mission 2 (where the timestamp is) starts at
21:43 -> 21:47, so about ~4 seconds until you can see the prompt come up.

For the PS4 version, which didn't have a working timestamp for me:
3:27 -> 3:48, so about ~21 seconds

Mission 13 on the PS5 loads in sub-4 seconds. Though, no comparison available in the other video. Significant improvements. Would be interested to see it in action on longer loads.

Edit 2: OO I didn't pay attention to when the Press X prompt came up. I have likely made errors. I shall edit some more.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's so much better. Going after S ranks, customising etc. was a pain on the PS4 with its long, frequent load times. This alone is the reason for me to double dip, let alone the Virgil and LDK content.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably even faster as the lower thirds is blocking the Press X to start.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Very cool! This version has been enhanced specifically to take advantage of better SSD? Or just raw speed improvement?

I don't think it's been enhanced apart from added RT and more content.

Edit: I think enhancements such as those that you are talking about are probably at the engine and coding level. Would require substantial changes most likely.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah isn't the text in the way? We need a better comparison than this. I imagine it will be even faster, especially if its actually developed for the PS5 and not the backwards compat version.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got 3-4 seconds from the press X prompt. That's rapid.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've enjoyed the power of SSDs in my PC for years now but I never saw the kind of speeds these consoles are offering (I know why, mind you, but still.) I'm ready for the ultra fast future.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
On base PS4 loadings were horrid. This is game changer. It's like you are playing on PC.

edit it's even faster than PC version apparently!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Still wish they added an option to disable all of the transition and menu cutscenes. It may not load as fast as this on my PC, but it's still way faster than the PS4 and it still annoys me due to how frequently it loads.

"Loading -> Skip Cutscene -> Loading -> Menu -> Loading -> Skip Cutscene -> Finally play mission" is also annoying with 4 seconds loading times.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to tell, since they put an overlay on top of the DMC game. It could've been anywhere between 1-4 sec.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed the power of SSDs in my PC for years now but I never saw the kind of speeds these consoles are offering (I know why, mind you, but still.) I'm ready for the ultra fast future.

Games have to be designed around SSDs to take full advantage of them. And the game also needs to pull data often enough.

Like, let's say, I emulate a Game Cube game on Dolphin. Load times differences between a regular SSD and a NVME will be minimal because there's no need to pull more data than what the already SATA SSD does.

The DF video about it published two days ago is a good example of this. The internal XSX drive has barely any advantage over a SATA3 SSD over USB because the games don't pull those amounts of data.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Excited to play MHW Iceborne on my PS5, the loading time was just insanely long, also some players and small monsters felt like they were running at 10 FPS.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was curious about how it loads on PC, as I played this on a Pro. 19 seconds on an Nvme with 3300Mbit/s

check the threadmark.

Wow, that's an insane difference then. 6.3x faster than a PC gaming rig using a 3.3GB/s NVMe, or roughly 533% faster.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Seems like it's just a raw improvement. Since mission loading is so brief and you have access to extra ram, you could begin loading the mission before the player even presses 'mission start' (when the mission is selected, rather than when it is actually initiated) and then eliminate the loadscreen altogether if it were truly optimised for the system.

But instead, it just loads only when the mission is initiated, like the PS4 version, and benefits from the raw speed on that loading screen.

If you know where the player is likely to go next, then (e.g. from mission 1, to mission 2) you should be able to eliminate loading screens entirely. It's open world and other non-linear games that pose more challenges, but the super fast SSD will help a lot there too.

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious about how it loads on PC, as I played this on a Pro. 19 seconds on an Nvme with 3300Mbit/s

check the threadmark.

If only that was the only loading time.

It's 19 seconds for a goddamn cutscene, then loading for Player Select, then loading for Menu, then loading for Customize, then loading for Menu, then loading for Mission Start. The menu cutscenes are awesome for a first playthrough, but they were such a huge mistake for such a highly replayable game.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Souls game with that loading speed will make them even harder! Dear FromSoftware, please make loading screens artificially longer, I want to take a breath after each death. :(

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
If only that was the only loading time.

It's 19 seconds for a goddamn cutscene, then loading for Player Select, then loading for Menu, then loading for Customize, then loading for Menu, then loading for Mission Start. The menu cutscenes are awesome for a first playthrough, but they were such a huge mistake for such a highly replayable game.
Great point, I will edit that into the OP as I didnt consider loading behind a cutscene. Do you have an idea how long that is?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: threadwhining
im tired of getting this kind of thread, we get it, next gen gonna load 5 times faster than last gen