• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Personally I prefer to discover myself so I was just paying attention to walls and when I see red lines/symbols, jackpot !

I found one in mission 11, red circle on the wall and the missing part on the wall inside a room, lined them up and tried everything but nothing happened. Isn't that how you do it?

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I found one in mission 11, red circle on the wall and the missing part on the wall inside a room, lined them up and tried everything but nothing happened. Isn't that how you do it?
In mission 11 you have to go higher to have the missing parts and the red light on the floor ;-)
Go ahead to kill a root, that will make the previous building falling down a bit. You'll be able to jump inside and find the spot :
3Bhfglxm.jpg
Y392twom.jpg
eY8jITzm.jpg

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hmm. I see.

So tell me, oh esteemed judge of fun, is having female characters that exist only to get naked and get beaten up ... fun?

Yeah this is one of those cognitive dissonance moments that reeeaaally makes me uncomfortable while playing. It's a shame because Lady in DMC3 is actually a pretty well-fleshed out character who gets treated decently as someone with agency, an interior life, and relatively little in the way of male gaze.

Not so with DMC5 unfortunately. The only real way to deal with it (besides ignoring it, which it shouldn't be because it's a problem across the medium and problems aren't solved by ignoring their existence, it should be called out and brought to attention and efforts should be made to do better, especially when they have done better!) is to be critically aware of it and recognize what is going on, the same way people can watch and enjoy James Bond for its style and action without enjoying the strong undercurrents of racism and misogyny.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
General consensus among fans is that the way women are treated in this game is pure trash, so not sure who you're directing this toward really.
You're not sure who I'm directing it toward?

It's possible I was directing it at the person who I quoted. In my post. That you quoted. And presumably read.

Are you new to forums?

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Hmm. I see.

So tell me, oh esteemed judge of fun, is having female characters that exist only to get naked and get beaten up ... fun?

Impressive how quickly you doubled down on this, which is also probably the one thing that literally anyone in this thread is going to agree with you on, and not, say, your characterization of every main character as a douchebag.

Almost as if you knew that was the only place where you had a leg to stand on.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just finished the game, overall I'd say it's a solid 8/10. The visuals were great and it ran like a dream, I was sitting at 144fps most of the game and it felt incredible to play. The mob design was also top notch and I really enjoyed the music and audio for the most part. Where the game fell short was definitely the characters, Trish and Lady were irrelevant, V was insufferable and Nero was annoying as hell. Character design and story would be my focus for the next game.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So I just beat mission 3 in my DMD run and I'm really enjoying this difficulty. Enemies don't die extremely quickly anymore and you have to actually use the game's mechanics if you want to succeed. My only complaints with this difficulty so far is that the bosses are a little tanky and I can't say I'm a fan of how breakers don't spawn anymore.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Impressive how quickly you doubled down on this, which is also probably the one thing anyone in this thread is going to agree with you on, and not, say, your characterization of every main character as a douchebag.

Because douchbaggery is subjective, it's a matter of taste. There's not much of a conversation or debate to be had about it.

"I think X is a douchebag"
"Well I think X is cool and not a douchebag."

Not really anywhere to go from there, y'know? Like trying to argue about whether mushrooms taste nice or gross.

The female character thing, however, has plenty of places to go. I thought maybe you'd point out that them getting beaten up is some series in-joke? Or maybe there's another scene later on where they actually do something.

However, given that all you've got is "impressive how you doubled down on this", then I'm guessing none of those are true and you weren't capable of coming up with a way to defend how the game treats its female characters.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Because douchbaggery is subjective, it's a matter of taste. There's not much of a conversation or debate to be had about it.

"I think X is a douchebag"
"Well I think X is cool and not a douchebag."

Not really anywhere to go from there, y'know? Like trying to argue about whether mushrooms taste nice or gross.

The female character thing, however, has plenty of places to go. I thought maybe you'd point out that them getting beaten up is some series in-joke? Or maybe there's another scene later on where they actually do something.

However, given that all you've got is "impressive how you doubled down on this", then I'm guessing none of those are true and you weren't capable of coming up with a way to defend how the game treats its female characters.

Y'see originally i figured there wasn't even any point in responding to the female characters thing because nobody in their right mind has or iis going to argue how trish and lady are treated here is good, and thus i assumed that it would likewise be understood that i was jabbing at your coming in on page 176 of an OT with "i haven't played this game but i hate the characters and god i hate this magic sword that's no sillier than the series baseline of silly weapons, which includes a guitar that shoots electric bats and a suitcase that transforms into a floating weapons platform"

but i suppose i will spell it out explicitly: Yes, i heavily dislike Trish and Lady being reduced to eye candy. Extremely so.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Some people really have nothing better to do than to stir shit in an OT of a game that they're not even playing on a Saturday night lol

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Some people really have nothing better to do than to stir shit in an OT of a game that they're not even playing on a Saturday night lol
Early Sunday morning here actually. Timezones are a thing.

And if I was out to intentionally stir shit I would have said I was playing myself rather than straight up mention that I was just watching someone else play.

Yes because that person clearly stated that they support the depiction of women in DMC5 :eyeroll:
No, he didn't specify.

Which is why I sought clarification.

Do try to keep up.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Early Sunday morning here actually. Timezones are a thing.

And if I was out to intentionally stir shit I would have said I was playing myself rather than straight up mention that I was just watching someone else play.

So what are you doing if not intentionally stirring shit in an OT for a game you're not even playing on a Sunday Morning?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I commented on a game that I had been watching, in the thread that is for comments on the game.

Then I replied to some people who replied to me.

Is this unusual in some way?

Yes, most people who want to have a proper discussion don't come in with an attitude.

You just want to stir shit and get a reaction out of people.

Next time try a little tact.

This is derailed enough.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Derailing, antagonizing members over a series of posts.
Yes, most people who want to have a proper discussion don't come in with an attitude.

You just want to stir shit and get a reaction out of people.

Next time try a little tact.
Oh. I see. A backseat moderator. How droll.

If you feel I have broken a rule then report me and let the real mods sort it out.

This is derailed enough.
Indeed. I seem to have inadvertently stirred some decidedly low-grade shit.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's so annoying about V though besides his inferior gameplay? He quotes poetry like three times in the whole game from what I remember. He mostly just says plot related shit. He very rarely even wisecracks. I don't get all the fedora jokes. V has the best taunts in the game and is inoffensive at worst.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for taking out the garbage, mods.

OT: I really want to keep trying Hell and Hell. After S ranking DMD, it's the only thing between me and that shiny platinum but at the same time the game's flaws are made more evident in this mode where every run has to be pretty much flawless.

*thinks*

What's so annoying about V though besides his inferior gameplay? He quotes poetry like three times in the whole game from what I remember. He mostly just says plot related shit. He very rarely even wisecracks. I don't get all the fedora jokes. V has the best taunts in the game and is inoffensive at worst.
I don't know, he's actually the least cocky and edgy character in the series. I dare say he's even humble in that he always admits when a fight is too much for him and other characters are stronger and more capable than him.
I think it's just people not being able to see past his appearance.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think V has a very cinematic fighting style. His delivery is great between his animations and his breathy reading of poetry. You've got to learn to accept the earnestness of it a bit and not be all "eww the cringe" all the time.

That said he's the most style over substance of all the fighters in the game. After Dante and even Nero it feels like you're in the paddle pool all of a sudden

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
After 14 hours finally got my first SSS ranking. With Nero, against that newborn chicken boss. I'd say it was 15% skill, 30% luck and 55% pure desperation.

I believe this last couple of hours with the game have been the best so far. The two lastest bosses were great, and I'm starting to understand the mechanics and enemies better. But now I'm back controlling Dante and have to remember all his moves again...

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, he's actually the least cocky and edgy character in the series. I dare say he's even humble in that he always admits when a fight is too much for him and other characters are stronger and more capable than him.
I think it's just people not being able to see past his appearance.

Yeah the scene where he nopes out of a fight with Gilgamesh was great. V's cool.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed by how much damage the buster breakage still does on DMD. That shit took off half life from the final boss.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
V on DMD is kinda a pain the ass, I think his biggest problem is that Shadow comes out too slow and that his best dodge move (Griffon's double jump) recalls Griffon from fight.

By the way, what's the best order to get your pets back in M14?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I fear Im gonna be disappointed by the Bloody Palace update, I hyped myself up with possibilities that might not even be real. Just two more days and we'l see...

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
By the way, what's the best order to get your pets back in M14?
I always go for
Goliath -> Shadow
Artemis -> Griffon
Cavaliere Angelo -> Nightmare

I prefer this order because Goliath is the easiest to deal with (so slow) and Shadow melt its HP with the spin attack. And Cavaliere can be such a pain that I prefer to have the 3 of them.

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope the different lock-on options will be patched in. Like in DMC4 where you could push the left stick towards what you wanted to target, instead of the very nearest enemy.
It's getting really old stingering into a random hell caina or accidentally teleporting into a rampagin hell anternora when all I wanted to do is to follow the damn judeca.

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Would be awesome if the update on Monday lets us play other missions with the character of our choice.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know why so many people picked up on v's sandals lol. i didn't notice them at all until the gestalt was all 'is he wearing jandals'

Oct 27, 2017
I always go for
Goliath -> Shadow
Artemis -> Griffon

I prefer this order because Goliath is the easiest to deal with (so slow) and Shadow melt its HP with the spin attack. And Cavaliere can be such a pain that I prefer to have the 3 of them.
The first time I picked Griffon first and fought Cavaliere. You can guess how well that went lol.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I really hope the different lock-on options will be patched in. Like in DMC4 where you could push the left stick towards what you wanted to target, instead of the very nearest enemy.
It's getting really old stingering into a random hell caina or accidentally teleporting into a rampagin hell anternora when all I wanted to do is to follow the damn judeca.

? You always need to hold lock to do stinger, ever since DMC1.

Lady's scar being faint makes sense because scars fade as you age but yeah, her heterochroma doesn't really stand out that much.

Looking forwards to Ladies' Night DLC because I agree that they kind of got the short end of the stick in this game. :p (Really *hoping* Lucia's in the DLC too because she's sorely missed.)

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I always go for
Goliath -> Shadow
Artemis -> Griffon

DT Shadow's Scewer (back forward Triangle) does stupid levels of damage. Its basically Vs Real Impact.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
After 14 hours finally got my first SSS ranking. With Nero, against that newborn chicken boss. I'd say it was 15% skill, 30% luck and 55% pure desperation.

I believe this last couple of hours with the game have been the best so far. The two lastest bosses were great, and I'm starting to understand the mechanics and enemies better. But now I'm back controlling Dante and have to remember all his moves again...

Do more break age attacks. Get to S rank via standard attacks then charge those arms up and let it rip.

Get to S ra

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the lock-on is a real pain when you're trying to target a specific enemy in a crowd, particularly the Judecca. Lock-on doesn't seem to listen to where you're pointing the stick in this game, it'll just pick a random enemy for yo, and not being able to switch lock without your stick in the neutral position is another problem.

So if you want to, say, target the Judecca and then Air Trick over to it really quickly, you often end up targeting some random Caina, inputting what you thought was the Air Trick command and having a regular Trickster dodge come out because the Caina was to Dante's right so your 'forward' input was the wrong direction.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Yeah, the lock-on is a real pain when you're trying to target a specific enemy in a crowd, particularly the Judecca. Lock-on doesn't seem to listen to where you're pointing the stick in this game, it'll just pick a random enemy for yo, and not being able to switch lock without your stick in the neutral position is another problem.

So if you want to, say, target the Judecca and then Air Trick over to it really quickly, you often end up targeting some random Caina, inputting what you thought was the Air Trick command and having a regular Trickster dodge come out because the Caina was to Dante's right so your 'forward' input was the wrong direction.
Yea the lock on really needs a serious fix. It can get pretty annoying

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of interviews from Itsuno and GDC have popped up.

Seems like Itsuno purposely designed the game to have a very low skill floor but an insanely high skill ceiling. Seems like he succeeded because the game is super easy to simply get through but to maximize combos/mechanics, the ceiling is incredibly high, higher than any DMC game before it in fact.

He was also asked that if he thinks DMC5 is the home run that he was searching for all his gaming career (citing the 2 million in 2 weeks sale number).. and Itsuno replies by saying that right now DMC5 is a 3rd base hit at best, not quite a home run yet.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only that but you can't seem to change targets while moving. It just won't work.