• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me how this horse boss fight isn't one of the worst designed things in the last 7 or so years of video games.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me how this horse boss fight isn't one of the worst designed things in the last 7 or so years of video games.
You mean Elder Knight Geryon? What's even bad about it? The only thing that is off about it is that you can fight him fairly easily and safely as V. The experience is going to be different if Nero and Dante would have to fight it because then they would have to actively deal with its time stop mechanic. At worst the boss is an unremarkable challenge but it has enough cool mechanics around it.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Made a poll for best character in DMC5 (Spoilers!):

https://www.strawpoll.me/17629306/r

Curious to see what people think after finiishing the game.
It's easily Nero for me. The number of options he has ready at any moment without even needing to switch things feels great. The individual mechanics to all his tools are very well thought out, the rhythm to using the Red Queen alone is unmatched in action games in how satisfying it is to get down, and everything else fits in nicely beside it. And of course, Nero has his throws that no other DMC character use, and with unique animations for the enemies and bosses they never get old.

I can respect Dante going crazy with such a massive moveset, but Nero has earned his spot as one of the main characters in DMC and I think I'm more interested in where they take him next at this point.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
You should actually explain what you think is bad about it since I think its cool.
Everything that sucks about playing V is compounded to a ludicrous extreme. Having to babysit orbs, never being able to hit him because Shadow is taking his sweet, leisurely time walking over to him.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you want a bad boss fight in DMC5, then it's Gilgamesh.

However, I figured out a cool trick to it in that you can use Nero's crazy air mobility option to actually enemy step up one of its leg and make it all the way up to his back and start pounding it with no down time. It's still a boring "giant boss" type of fight which I dislike but it's cool that even in this fight there are different ways you can approach it.

Which bosses do you guys think will get excluded from the bloody palace roster?
Only one I can see is Gilgamesh. Seems like a really awkward fight with someone like V.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can exceed air taunt is hilarious and it's even more great that it's like the most optimal way to build ex meter lol. The timing to max act it is pretty lenient as well.

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
Everything that sucks about playing V is compounded to a ludicrous extreme. Having to babysit orbs, never being able to hit him because Shadow is taking his sweet, leisurely time walking over to him.
Yeah, you need to know how to position your pets or else they will die. You can bring Shadow to your side by dodging horizontally.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can exceed air taunt is hilarious and it's even more great that it's like the most optimal way to build ex meter lol. The timing to max act it is pretty lenient as well.

And that taunt has invincibility frames so it can be used for air evasion.

It's some next level stuff.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to baby sit orbs if you actually reposition your familiars with dodges (double jump to bring Griffin to you, dodge to the side to bring Shadow to you when the boss does its AOE attacks). And if Shadow is taking his sweet time walking over to him then it's because you are fight too far away from the boss.

This is mostly definitely an issue with controlling V than it is about the boss mechanics.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The difficulty spike on the last few chapters is dumb. I mean, obviously I will never lose because I have plenty of good orbs...but still.

Speaking of gold orbs, I really dislike that system altogether. Nothing really feels like a challenge.

Oct 26, 2017
Geryon will suck if you dont how to play V, since
  • Pets get 1/2 shot so you need to micromanage their postion
  • You really wanna get good skewers in, so you have to figure out how to play well with royal fork, positioning, animation cancels and timing
  • You wanna knock him out his ultimate with Meteor
He didnt make a strong impression on me till DMD, at which point hes one of my favorites in the game.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Geryon will suck if you dont how to play V, since
  • Pets get 1/2 shot so you need to micromanage their postion
  • You really wanna get good skewers in, so you have to figure out how to play well with royal fork, positioning, animation cancels and timing
  • You wanna knock him out his ultimate with Meteor
He didnt make a strong impression on me till DMD, at which point hes one of my favorites in the game.
I have no idea what any of those terms mean

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what any of those terms mean
*Geryon has a lot of area of effect attacks that can destroy your familiars, so when he is about to them (its very easily telegraphed), you move your pets to you by doing a side roll then a double jump.

*Geryon has an ultilmate charge up attack that you can interrupt by calling in Nightmare/using Devil Trigger. This will cause Nightmare to appear as a Meteor summon, interrupting Geryon out of its charge attack.

*Royal Fork is a staple move for V that he can use to do long ranged, AOE damage. You need to buy this move asap.

DMD = Dante Must Die mode = one of the hardest difficulty setting

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Son of Sparda has been awesome so far! Right from the prologue I was shocked to see the different enemy types showing up. The encounters have been much more intense but I've managed to S rank the first three I've played.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Managed to S-rank Human in a single sitting, then cleaned up Devil Hunter. In between trying to finish DMD and S-ranking SoS, I have my work cut out for me, lol. I think I'm getting the hang of Dante a lot more than Nero, juggling enemies with swordmaster then quickly switching to gunslinger in the air is satisfying.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
*profusely apologizes to Dante when voting in the poll, proceeds to to sit in the corner of shame*
Same...
Pardon me, my love.
I never liked summoners, but I love to play V.
Plus I never liked Vergil, and the more I do the last missions, the more I want to play him. And, I dunno, maybe I watch too much fanarts about daddy Vergil LOL.
So the both in the same choice... (Urizen can go rot in hell tho)

I like Nero but I definitively need to practice, I'm frustrated when I see how good he can be... in other hands xD

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
9cXSTZM.gif

Sman1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think DMC 5 will truly shine in the inevitable Special edition! However, the game was awesome on it's own merits but I'm guessing they didnt need back tracking because the environments were procedurally generated lol

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for fighting Mission 19 boss? I pretty much can't beat it unless I use orbs... Trying to improve my rank on it before starting SoS.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's this talk of mods replacing the V levels?

I think I'd like to take that for a whirl. I enjoyed the campaign, but I can't stomach going through those V sections again. He is simply not an enjoyable character to play.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to S-rank Human in a single sitting, then cleaned up Devil Hunter. In between trying to finish DMD and S-ranking SoS, I have my work cut out for me, lol. I think I'm getting the hang of Dante a lot more than Nero, juggling enemies with swordmaster then quickly switching to gunslinger in the air is satisfying.
Man, I'm having trouble S ranking a few mission like mission 8.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for fighting Mission 19 boss? I pretty much can't beat it unless I use orbs... Trying to improve my rank on it before starting SoS.

Wait out his DT phases if you aren't confident in going toe-to-toe. Just run around and jump when you need to; he'll regain a bit of health, but you'll eventually get him back. Kill his Doppelganger as quickly as possible when it comes out, too. It doesn't have much health, but it can still dish out damage.

When he summons swords around you, you can break them a few different ways. Shotgun blasts, basic sword swings, Balrog's Rolling Blaze move (just jumping with Balrog).

When he starts flying and charges at you, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LET HIM HIT YOU. Like, I know it seems obvious, but goddamn he hits so hard that you really can't afford even one. It's easy to just jump and double jump right over him if you have your wits about you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I really want this game to be patched to allow all characters to play most levels. I should be able to use anyone against any boss outside of the Bloody Palace.

If you want a bad boss fight in DMC5, then it's Gilgamesh.

However, I figured out a cool trick to it in that you can use Nero's crazy air mobility option to actually enemy step up one of its leg and make it all the way up to his back and start pounding it with no down time. It's still a boring "giant boss" type of fight which I dislike but it's cool that even in this fight there are different ways you can approach it.

Only one I can see is Gilgamesh. Seems like a really awkward fight with someone like V.
Gilgamesh is a low point in DMC5's boss roster, but still much better than any of the series' other bad bosses. As a giant walking combat puzzle with many possible methods of approach, he at least affords players the chance to play around with the combat system.

Fighting Gilgamesh with Gerbera as your primary DB is a totally different experience than with Tomboy.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really want this game to be patched to allow all characters to play most levels. I should be able to use anyone against any boss outside of the Bloody Palace.

Gilgamesh is a low point in DMC5's boss roster, but still much better than any of the series' other bad bosses. As a giant walking combat puzzle with many possible methods of approach, he at least affords players the chance to play around with the combat system.

Fighting Gilgamesh with Gerbera as your primary DB is a totally different experience than with Tomboy.
It's funny you mention Tomboy because for some reason in that fight I happened to have Tomboy equipped and it was my first time playing it. I was on the side docks and started messing with the Tomboy. I didn't know at the time that R1 has different moves than Triangle and I start flying around with Tomboy. I just start chaining the dash move from the platform and somehow ended up on top of Gilgamesh lol. And of course as soon as I get on top of him, I used Tomboy again while trying to lock on and flew right off him!

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
this on top of what's basically misogyny against trish and lady makes me go ultra yikes

Yeah, I really didn't like what they did to Lady and Trish in the game. They deserved so much better. I had a crush on Lady back when I played DMC3 and I think a big part of that was due to her being a badass that didn't take shit from anyone. That was especially uncommon in media back then.

I don't want some dumb weeb fanservice for the incels to jerk off to. That's not why anyone with taste liked Lady in DMC3.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny you mention Tomboy because for some reason in that fight I happened to have Tomboy equipped and it was my first time playing it. I was on the side docks and started messing with the Tomboy. I didn't know at the time that R1 has different moves than Triangle and I start flying around with Tomboy. I just start chaining the dash move from the platform and somehow ended up on top of Gilgamesh lol. And of course as soon as I get on top of him, I used Tomboy again while trying to lock on and flew right off him!
Yeah, the first time I really used Tomboy was during that fight, and I was bouncing all over the place. I had no idea about its full move set either. Staying on top of Gilgamesh ended up being more challenging than avoiding any of his attacks. What a goofy battle.