• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Coop would be cool but I know damn well I'll be playing alone.
I'm glad others might enjoy it, but for my experience, leave multiplayer out of my action games :p

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game could be a GOTG contender if they allow coop in BP.

There is no way they are dumb enough not to include it.

...right?

Heh, the mission 12 shortcut works for safeguarding an easy S rank. Just tried it on SoS and I got 600 points over the threshold without issue. Skipping a load of the mission's fights has zero bearing on the final score, in-fact it actually benefits you far more.

I think we can drop this from the 3 affected missions list. That leaves missions 10 and 18 IIRC.

Nice, thanks for confirming. Might do it soon too.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Heh, the mission 12 shortcut works for safeguarding an easy S rank. Just tried it on SoS and I got 600 points over the threshold without issue. Skipping a load of the mission's fights has zero bearing on the final score, in-fact it actually benefits you far more.

I think we can drop this from the 3 affected missions list. That leaves missions 10 and 18 IIRC.
Even without the shortcut I had no problem S ranking mission 12. I had way more trouble with mission 8.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Managed to S-rank the final boss on DMD. I won't attempt S-ranking any other missions but I just had to for this one. Freaking hell, it might be the greatest boss of the generation, passing the Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne DLC bosses.

So damn good in so many ways and it's super fun to do with Nero.

Unlike with Dante, shits hard af with him lol

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Managed to S-rank the final boss on DMD. I won't attempt S-ranking any other missions but I just had to for this one. Freaking hell, it might be the greatest boss of the generation, passing the Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne DLC bosses.

So damn good in so many ways and it's super fun to do with Nero.

Unlike with Dante, shits hard af with him lol
I found it much better as Dante, precisely because it's much harder.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If Bloody Palace is online coop....

tenor.gif
Hopefully with actual matchmaking, though I've had pretty good success matching with a friend on mission 13 with the prefer friend option

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
by the way, in 'least expected character i expected to see cosplayed' at the thing yesterday, there was a friggin' credo cosplay with working extendable arm

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Okay Scything

So you know how when the cleaver guys fall to the ground they get straight back up right? The vines glow purple and they become unstaggerable with normal attacks, until theyve swung at you. For simplicity lets refer to this as a tech roll!

DMC5 actually features a bound mechanic.
  • Ground bounds are moves that slam the enemy into the ground so they cant tech roll!
  • VS Purple vine guys: As long as you keep hitting a bounded enemy, you'll continue your combo just like a normal juggle!
  • You've probably been doing it loads and not realized because of how intuitive this mechanic is!
Heres some examples of this mechanic in full use to 1-shot these guys.

And yes. DMC5 is gonna be the best fighting game of 2019!

Fk, where's the rock clap gif when you need it. Thanks for this!

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Scything

So you know how when the cleaver guys fall to the ground they get straight back up right? The vines glow purple and they become unstaggerable with normal attacks, until theyve swung at you. For simplicity lets refer to this as a tech roll!

DMC5 actually features a bound mechanic.
  • Ground bounds are moves that slam the enemy into the ground so they cant tech roll!
  • VS Purple vine guys: As long as you keep hitting a bounded enemy, you'll continue your combo just like a normal juggle!
  • You've probably been doing it loads and not realized because of how intuitive this mechanic is!
Heres some examples of this mechanic in full use to 1-shot these guys.

And yes. DMC5 is gonna be the best fighting game of 2019!

So we have hard knockdown mechanics? lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the criteria for the Obedience Training trophy actually is? I got it, but I have no idea what I did to prompt it.

Oct 26, 2017
You could be a little less rude, but yeah, your overall point is correct. Having one or two enemy types in a game that require different strategies and a higher skill level isn't a bad thing and doesn't mean they rely on luck or are poorly designed. They accentuate and reward usage of skills you may have neglected up to that point, and therefore expand the design space, making for a richer overall experience.

That said, even though I agree some of the complaints about these enemies are a little belligerent or thick-headed, dedicating a video to their quote just to embarrass them isn't going to make them more receptive to listening to you. I can understand the frustration. There's several videos in the thread showing numerous ways to deal with those enemies. But still...
You aren't wrong but if you go back a few pages you'll see me give them the BoD when they started raging and offer advice to them alongside everyone else....which was a waste of effort.

Nothing winds me up more then the "its not fair" complaint when devs have put a ton of thought into designing a new enemy type. And someone just isn't willing to learn how to deal with it.

Fury has a very clever tell system. First he tells you what move hes doing. Some moves have variants
  • If its red crouching claws
    • Hes gonna lunge at you. Then disappear and do it again.
    • If you get in the air whilst hes moving towards you, he'll circle around your feet before doing the first lunge.
  • If its standing red claws
    • If you're on the ground when he pops out, he'll teleport in front of you and stab you
    • If you're in the air when he pops out, he'll do a downward swipe
  • If its colorless crouching claws
    • He will start dashing around
      • If he dashes across the floor, when he reappears its a stinger
      • If he dashes towards you, the next move is a split above you
      • If he dashes in the air, the next move is payline
    • He may appear at your feet in which case he will quickly sweep up
    • Finally will appear in the air, cross his arms. Then air trick into your face and sweep his arms out.
  • If he raw teleports, as soon as he stops you can combo him
On top of this, the best way to combo the enemy is bounce combos which is largely a new idea to this series which has always been about staying in the air.

So yeah i'ma be a slight dick when people try to trivialize the amount of work that went into designing this enemy with "its unfair" bullshit. I have low tolerance for it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i hate furies but the reason i hate furies is a) their playstyle is as gwyn has said a bit more ninja gaiden reaction-to-moves to my preferred 'just hit them!' and b) because i'm shit and i need to get better at dealing with them

So we have hard knockdown mechanics? lol

thinking of enemies (and players) as state machines is super useful in conceptualising how to deal with them lol.

i forget, do we got wallbounce?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Does anyone know what the criteria for the Obedience Training trophy actually is? I got it, but I have no idea what I did to prompt it.
It seems you have to damage him when you trigger SDT. But I don't think anyone is 100%. Seems you have to stun all 3 heads at the same time. Some people have said they've done it by using Kalina Ann on him. I got it when I triggered SDT.

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong but if you go back a few pages you'll see me give them the BoD when they started raging and offer advice to them alongside everyone else....which was a waste of effort.

Nothing winds me up more then the "its not fair" complaint when devs have put a ton of thought into designing a new enemy type. And someone just isn't willing to learn how to deal with it.

Fury has a very clever tell system. First he tells you what move hes doing. Some moves have variants
  • If its red crouching claws
    • Hes gonna lunge at you. Then disappear and do it again.
    • If you get in the air whilst hes moving towards you, he'll circle around your feet before doing the first lunge.
  • If its standing red claws
    • If you're on the ground when he pops out, he'll teleport in front of you and stab you
    • If you're in the air when he pops out, he'll do a downward swipe
  • If its colorless crouching claws
    • He will start dashing around
      • If he dashes across the floor, when he reappears its a stinger
      • If he dashes towards you, the next move is a split above you
      • If he dashes in the air, the next move is payline
    • He may appear at your feet in which case he will quickly sweep up
    • Finally will appear in the air, cross his arms. Then air trick into your face and sweep his arms out.
  • If he raw teleports, as soon as he stops you can combo him
On top of this, the best way to combo the enemy is bounce combos which is largely a new idea to this series which has always been about staying in the air.

So yeah i'ma be a slight dick when people try to trivialize the amount of work that went into designing this enemy with "its unfair" bullshit. I have low tolerance for it.

Oh I saw the whole exchange, so I understand your frustration. It's clear they're not really interested in learning and are blaming the game for it. That specific reply just seemed a little harsh.

But, ya know, you're not wrong.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I saw the whole exchange, so I understand your frustration. It's clear they're not really interested in learning and are blaming the game for it. That specific reply just seemed a little harsh.

But, ya know, you're not wrong.

I spent literally all evening last night in the Void fighting those fuckers to try and get them down. It's not a question of not wanting to learn, it's a simply me not finding those enemies fun to fight as Nero. Period, end of story. Entertainment is subjective, and what one person finds fun to fight is not FACTUALLY fun to fight. it's down to the person experiencing it.

The reason the discussion took a turn was because people were constantly negating my experiences and shitting on me for not being good at the game instead of engaging with me like someone having a bad time.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had a sick looking parry sequence against Cavilere Angelo as V on DMD.

Goddamn that builds a ton of DT, and it seems like the third lingering hit also parries. Feel like it can be replicated since the basic attack seems to match his swing speed.

Oct 26, 2017
If you struggled to orbit steal in the demo, try vs fury. The way he falls makes it super easy to steal if you position yourself by the head

That early cutscene where nero shoots an arm through an enemy and slid around on them made me think he was going to get a breaker for it atleast. Kinda surprised he didn't.
Yea i feel like aoe snatch must have been a thing at some point, maybe it just turned into rawhide

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I spent literally all evening last night in the Void fighting those fuckers to try and get them down. It's not a question of not wanting to learn, it's a simply me not finding those enemies fun to fight as Nero. Period, end of story. Entertainment is subjective, and what one person finds fun to fight is not FACTUALLY fun to fight. it's down to the person experiencing it.

The reason the discussion took a turn was because people were constantly negating my experiences and shitting on me for not being good at the game instead of engaging with me like someone having a bad time.
It's ok. Not every aspect of the game has to be fun and, as you say, it's subjective. But people were not calling you out on that, they were calling you out because you used those subjective opinions to come up with hyperbolic expressions to describe the game/enemy such as 'unfair' and 'shit design'.
Not liking Furies is ok.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Played Dante's first chapter. The apparent complexity seemed a bit overwhelming at first, but i also got one S rank after another by mashing away.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok. Not every aspect of the game has to be fun and, as you say, it's subjective. But people were not calling you out on that, they were calling you out because you used those subjective opinions to come up with hyperbolic expressions to describe the game/enemy such as 'unfair' and 'shit design'.
Not liking Furies is ok.

I still maintain that an enemy that can only be damaged for very, very brief windows of time before becoming totally invincible is a poor choice for a non-boss fight. Mix a Fury up with a bunch of other enemies and the kind of focus you need in order to not get ventilated by him is already lost because of the sheer aggressiveness of the AI. If it's just a one-on-one fight it's annoying but manageable, but just because something is manageable in the void doesn't mean the fight will take place in an arena conducive to that kind of drawn-out battle of timing. Like that hole in Chapter 15 where you have about three feet of clearance in any direction between you and a wall and there's a Fury berserking about.

It's why Dante just has an easier time dealing with them, because you can pop Ice Age while fighting other enemies and the idiots ram right into it and parry themselves. If Nero had Summoned Sword Orbiters you could use that in the same way.

Oct 25, 2017

I defended you when the other poster responded in an unkind way, so I don't know if you need to get upset with me.

I saw the entire exchange. It wasn't about that you didn't find those enemies fun. It was that you were saying they were unfair or required luck or the weren't any moves you could do that didn't trigger a teleport. Instead of asking for help you doubled down on "bad design" and even after numerous videos showed you various ways to deal with them you shifted the argument to "well I just don't find it fun".

So I agree that they shouldn't have responded in a rude way. But you're not without blame yourself. You were incorrect in your assumptions about the enemy. Your preferences don't change that.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Ran into an odd glitch playing with Dante on mission 19. Was messing around with enemies and I had hit the SDT prompt while using Balrog. I transformed fine, but when the SDT ran out I was still in the form. Was very interesting blowing through the trio at the end with it. Haven't been able to recreate it since. Will keep trying next time.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODAAAAAAAAAMN is V so much fun to mess around with

For DMC 6 I want them to revisit their concept for a woman Devil summoner and have like 8 to 10 familiars to summon and just wreck shit.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Tne reason the arms are so good is because they carry that risk of breaking.

That's the balancing.

Breaking doesn't prevent them from being switchable.

At the moment, in my first playthrough of the game, I never see the arms break. I get hit pretty often but not while using an arm, it's not hard to press circle at a moment in time where you're not going to get hit. Breaking really isn't my issue, it's the lack of flexibility.

I start a mission with rocket punch breaker and I end it with the rocket punch arm. That's dull.

The only reason I suggested it should be on a cooldown if you get hit, is to disincentivise taking two of the same arm. At the moment, the first arm I have in my mag is the one I want to use, so why not just take 8 of them...

I guess you can kind of create a mission 'plan' an deliberately break early arms to get deeper into your magazine as the mission goes on, but arms cost red orbs, so it's frustrating to expend them to run a particular strategy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I defended you when the other poster responded in an unkind way, so I don't know if you need to get upset with me.

I saw the entire exchange. It wasn't about that you didn't find those enemies fun. It was that you were saying they were unfair or required luck or the weren't any moves you could do that didn't trigger a teleport. Instead of asking for help you doubled down on "bad design" and even after numerous videos showed you various ways to deal with them you shifted the argument to "well I just don't find it fun".

So I agree that they shouldn't have responded in a rude way. But you're not without blame yourself. You were incorrect in your assumptions about the enemy. Your preferences don't change that.

Keep in mind: I was trying to replicate what was in those videos and it still wasn't working. I even pointed out I was using the exact combos Dahbomb suggested and the enemy was still teleporting out of the middle of my attacks, even before I could use Overture. Despite using the same moves people were telling me to use, I was still not having success. It was unbelievably frustrating, and having people constantly going "it's EZ you just suck" was making me bloody furious.

Then I managed to come up with my own strategy to fight them that works pretty well, but the fact is that they still suck to fight. They're just not fun.

Nov 7, 2017

At the moment, in my first playthrough of the game, I never see the arms break. I get hit pretty often but not while using an arm, it's not hard to press circle at a moment in time where you're not going to get hit. Breaking really isn't my issue, it's the lack of flexibility.

I start a mission with rocket punch breaker and I end it with the rocket punch arm. That's dull.

The only reason I suggested it should be on a cooldown if you get hit, is to disincentivise taking two of the same arm. At the moment, the first arm I have in my mag is the one I want to use, so why not just take 8 of them...

I guess you can kind of create a mission 'plan' an deliberately break early arms to get deeper into your magazine as the mission goes on, but arms cost red orbs, so it's frustrating to expend them to run a particular strategy.
You never need to use the breakage moves in devil hunter difficulty. Later on you will, i dont think he was balanced for easy mode

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODAAAAAAAAAMN is V so much fun to mess around with

For DMC 6 I want them to revisit their concept for a woman Devil summoner and have like 8 to 10 familiars to summon and just wreck shit.

Yes, yes, yes! Magic and summon-based fighting styles has always traditionally belonged to the villains of the series, and I was really happy with V's playing style in this game.

And we desperately need a female playable character on the front lines as well. Lady, Trish, and a new lady Devil Hunter for DMC6 all playable would be aces.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes, yes! Magic and summon-based fighting styles has always traditionally belonged to the villains of the series, and I was really happy with V's playing style in this game.

And we desperately need a female playable character on the front lines as well. Lady, Trish, and a new lady Devil Hunter for DMC6 all playable would be aces.

DMC 5's greatest flaw is it's treatment of Lady and Trish. I really hope DMC 5 SE at least makes them playable and DMC 6 either introduces them as playable again or introduces a new woman protagonist. It's really fucking jarring considering most of the same team made DMC 3 and that gave us Lady to begin with.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I wish we can fight bosses in the Void.

In other news, I can mission 17's boss down to half-health without taking a hit but once he goes ballistic, jeeeeeez. Smashed the S rank on SoS though but yeah that last half I'll have to play around a bit more with DmD coming up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The missions are mostly short. You start with 8 breakers and have opportunities to pick up and buy more during missions. They are dirt cheap, the most expensive one is 3500 while other good ones cost just 500. After buying all the moves you shouldn't have much trouble never needing to worry about having enough orbs to buy more arms.

Them being expendable is the whole point. You are supposed to be going through them and breaking them (via breakage etc.) to your heart's content. It's to encourage a new kind of play style.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DMC 5's greatest flaw is it's treatment of Lady and Trish. I really hope DMC 5 SE at least makes them playable and DMC 6 either introduces them as playable again or introduces a new woman protagonist. It's really fucking jarring considering most of the same team made DMC 3 and that gave us Lady to begin with.

They really need to figure out a better design for Lady. Her actual face and hair look great, but that oversized shirt with odd chunks cut out of the sides combined with the hot pants is such a bizarre design I feel like the person who worked on it had to be drunk at the time.