• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
5,200 points on Mission 10. I wanna die. S ranking everything prior to this wasn't even a challenge. What is it with this mission?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Location wise you can't, was playing a couple Nero levels with Dante using a mod. Lighting is amazing in the game, just wish had more day time areas with Dante, the streets section with V, the 3rd Mission with Nero outside, 2nd Mission opening etc., all look great lighting wise, would have liked more areas brightly lit like that.
One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Bloody Palace is being able to play and hopefully capture some cool gameplay in nice lighting conditions without having to replay missions all the time, right now I find a location, try some stuff and then retry from checkpoint meaning loading screens and getting back to that area. That Dante clip is a simple Royal Release but that's the only thing I did with the game today, was taking a couple minutes each retry to get back to that room and then countless takes since the camera in that room was so hard to get a close up shot, kept zooming out, but finally got it and realised I had spent almost 2 hours on this one shot and was done playing at that point XD.

Yeah, Dante's locations are restricted as hell, like you mentioned. The Bloody Palace is a one-day event or lasts forever after it's release? Either way... as my first DMC game this has been a lot of great fun. Still getting used to all the controls, but I've actually found Nero and Dante surprisingly easy to get into; it's just V that I tend to struggle with. I guess it comes from the mindset of just wanting to go straight up melee, but V is too weak for that. :D

I've also just been reloading checkpoints as Dante, both to practice and to capture some gifs. What a load of great fun.

Can you imagine if this game had camera customisation like Nier? That would be a godsend. :P

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
SoS where you need at least 5,500. I finally did it with 5,586. Just barely. Fucking cursed-ass mission. Maybe I just suck and I'm in for a tougher time on Mission 11.

I've been racking my brain trying to improve my Mission 8 results on DMD and just can't. I've spent two days doing this stupid mission, and it's just a slog because of the Proto Angelo especially.

groan

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Mission 10 has a trash style score threshold across the board. They do need to tweak certain missions.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
SoS where you need at least 5,500. I finally did it with 5,586. Just barely. Fucking cursed-ass mission. Maybe I just suck and I'm in for a tougher time on Mission 11.

Ah, good you got it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I barely got 5,500 after a good number of attempts on SoS. Mission 11 should be way easier for you. I got it on my first try and I'm not a god at this game.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this now, first DMC game i'll be playing from start to finish (i just barely played the others, i'd be up for it though!) Just finished mission 04 and boy I don't dig how V plays.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
PwyLZNr.gif

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I got the game last week and I'm on chapter 9. So far I'm not loving it, but it's on the OK side of things. I have a lot more fun with V in terms of gameplay, it's just really different and I like having pets in games.

Nero I really don't like - but usually every mechanic where resources are purchasable makes the game instantly less fun for me, because I don't like buying consumables in games. Therefore the devilbreakers are a source of anxiety and I don't like using them. I also don't like the shotgun style ranged.

So I guess because I don't like Nero, the game will never reach the highs that it seems to reach for you guys. I'm hoping Dante will be a lot more fun (I loved previous DMC games) if he doesn't have that consumable mechanic (part of why I'm enjoying V a lot more).

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I got the game last week and I'm on chapter 9. So far I'm not loving it, but it's on the OK side of things. I have a lot more fun with V in terms of gameplay, it's just really different and I like having pets in games.

Nero I really don't like - but usually every mechanic where resources are purchasable makes the game instantly less fun for me, because I don't like buying consumables in games. Therefore the devilbreakers are a source of anxiety and I don't like using them. I also don't like the shotgun style ranged.

So I guess because I don't like Nero, the game will never reach the highs that it seems to reach for you guys. I'm hoping Dante will be a lot more fun (I loved previous DMC games) if he doesn't have that consumable mechanic (part of why I'm enjoying V a lot more).
What do you mean by consumable? You mean the devil breakers? If so that sounds like a you problem, because that opens Nero's gameplay. Besides there's no need to buy it since stages give you plenty of it unless you want a specific set.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you get 500 gems from like a single red empusada or whatever probs and they're all over the street wherever you go. go nuts with the devil breakers

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
What do you mean by consumable? You mean the devil breakers? If so that sounds like a you problem, because that opens Nero's gameplay. Besides there's no need to buy it since stages give you plenty of it unless you want a specific set.
I did say I didn't like when consumable items are deeply involved in normal gameplay. I'm a big item hoarder - makes me anxious to use them until the very end. So yeah, it's a "me" problem. I do use them though, just for some reason the constant displeasure of losing them makes me not enjoy the gameplay of that character. V is good though, as I mentioned.

As another problem I feel that the environments are a little uninspiring - but this latest chapter was an improvement so hopefully they will get better and better in the second half.

Oct 25, 2017
Do folks recommend changing the controls at all, or just sticking with the default? E.g How do folks do Nero gun charge in the middle of combos?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do folks recommend changing the controls at all, or just sticking with the default? E.g How do folks do Nero gun charge in the middle of combos?
For Nero I remapped his gun to R2, his breaker to square, and his breaker explosion to the D-Pad, I remapped Griffon to L2 ofor V, and I kept Dante with the default control scheme.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017

I keep mine default, but I hold the controller in a different way. Something like:
- Square: Left index
- L1/L2: Left pinky
- Dpad/Left analog: Left thumb

Right hand is normal.

I got used to this as far back as DMC3, mainly for Vergil's Summoned Swords, and did the same for DMC4 Nero.

Oct 25, 2017
I see the 3 million Orb Taunts more as a way of addressing the fact that every combo video player you see on Youtube has their red orb counter maxed out at 9,999,999 or whatever because you just run out of stuff to buy when you're putting 100+ hours into the game. They're such non-vital moves that nobody's going to specifically grind or pay for them.

But, yeah, it all feeds into the fact that they've included a lot of new mechanics that specifically make Red Orbs more valuable to coincide with them being purchasable with real money. The taunts aren't necessarily going to get people opening their wallets, but having Red Orbs no longer shared between characters, a new weapon that feeds off Red Orbs and particularly the option to revive and damage all enemies at the same time with Red Orbs are much harder to defend. I mean, look how much damage the most expensive Red Orb revive option does; your credit card hits harder than Sin DT. Obviously you don't have to spend money to enjoy the game, but the same is true of every other game out there with optional microtransactions, and DMC5's implementation is no less scummy than any other publisher's implementation.
To be fair, the moves also don't get more expensive the more you buy. Having recently played DMC4:SE, which had the progression made easier to accomodate the new characters, it's still way easier to upgrade your character in DMC5. Going through a whole mission and not buying any upgrades never happened in this game.

I like DMC5's character progression A LOT more than DMC4's.

The revive is bullshit, though, agreed.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So do people bother with Nero's
Bringer Knuckle?
Seems like a lot to worry about on top of Exceeds.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, i completely forgot how heaven and hell mode operates exactly, so I accidentally killed Urizen in the prologue

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So do people bother with Nero's
Bringer Knuckle?
Seems like a lot to worry about on top of Exceeds.
It's great.

It negates pusback on hit, so if you do it after a streak the enemy won't fly away and you can easily continue your combo. I set it to square for easier access, moved Blue Rose to R2.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's great.

It negates pusback on hit, so if you do it after a streak the enemy won't fly away and you can easily continue your combo. I set it to square for easier access, moved Blue Rose to R2.

I'm using those keybinds too. Sounds like I shouldn't treat it like Exceed and just use it after certain moves instead of trying to do it every move.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
man heaven or hell with the pre-vis cutscene is the best. just rip through the level and then watch some great stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
That crimson jacket Dante mod looks so good. I have to get on this PC version.

This mod is also really cool:

PvxTpqp.jpg

I'm using those keybinds too. Sounds like I shouldn't treat it like Exceed and just use it after certain moves instead of trying to do it every move.

Exactly, they're fantastic for moves with long animations. If you're using Helter Skelter, you can go ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA, it's great.

You can also do some cute shit like using one right after a Calibur to keep the enemy where they are while you switch sides with your momentum.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, they're fantastic for moves with long animations. If you're using Helter Skelter, you can go ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA, it's great.

You can also do some cute shit like using one right after a Calibur to keep the enemy where they are while you switch sides with your momentum.

That sounds awesome. Man, they really did great work with Nero in this game. I liked his unique mechanics in 4, but I still felt like he was a little barebones compared to Dante. This game he really feels just as fully featured but in a completely different way. It's a little overwhelming lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Gerbera is my waifu I think, such a great db

Gerbera parries feel so good.

That sounds awesome. Man, they really did great work with Nero in this game. I liked his unique mechanics in 4, but I still felt like he was a little barebones compared to Dante. This game he really feels just as fully featured but in a completely different way. It's a little overwhelming lol.
Yeah, it really feels like Nero is a complete character now. I love playing as him so much.

It can't be stated enough how much of an improvement Nero had both in gameplay and personality, he's my favorite character in 5 overall, and I kind of hated him in 4.

It's not that he didn't have depth before, all I need to do is watch a single Nero combo video to see how many things he can do that I couldn't even imagine, but it's not like I became a godlike player in 5, he just has so many more intuitive and useful options that you get in that same vibe as when you play Dante, where you see yourself naturally improving the more you play, instead of hitting a wall and having to look up youtube tutorials to extract more from the character, like 4's Nero.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
When you swap characters in a level, none of their dialogue plays - although the subtitles are cued up, no audio files are triggered. It's odd, seeing as you'd imagine that to be tied to the stage itself, not the character...

I wonder if it's a remnant of something they put in place to officially allow playing as different characters in the same stage after clearing the game once?
This mod is also really cool:

PvxTpqp.jpg

It's interesting how it's the exact same model, but his animations make him look so much more frail.

Oct 25, 2017
For Nero I remapped his gun to R2, his breaker to square, and his breaker explosion to the D-Pad, I remapped Griffon to L2 ofor V, and I kept Dante with the default control scheme.

I'll try that out, thanks!

I keep mine default, but I hold the controller in a different way. Something like:
- Square: Left index
- L1/L2: Left pinky
- Dpad/Left analog: Left thumb

Right hand is normal.

I got used to this as far back as DMC3, mainly for Vergil's Summoned Swords, and did the same for DMC4 Nero.

Hah, don't think I can pull that off.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thinking of whether to get this or not but one thing i hated about DMC4 was the back tracking and repeating the same environments and repeat of boss fights.

Does anything like that happen in here?

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of whether to get this or not but one thing i hated about DMC4 was the back tracking and repeating the same environments and repeat of boss fights.

Does anything like that happen in here?

No backtracking, but environmental art is pretty samey.

There are boss repeats but it's more like DMC3 than DMC4 in that regard.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am just starting (Mission 2) and I have Max Act skill unlocked. It looks like I am doing it correctly (LT after an attack) but one of my gauges maxes out rather than all of them. Worth noting that only one of them is not blacked out. This one gets filled completely when I think I execute the move correctly. Do I need to unlock these blacked out gauges or am I actually doing it wrong, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I am just starting (Mission 2) and I have Max Act skill unlocked. It looks like I am doing it correctly (LT after an attack) but one of my gauges maxes out rather than all of them. Worth noting that only one of them is not blacked out. This one gets filled completely when I think I execute the move correctly. Do I need to unlock these blacked out gauges or am I actually doing it wrong, lol.
You do need to unlock them, you kind of went the reverse route when it comes to upgrading his Exceed. :P

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list somewhere of all the "hidden/not explained" moves/mecanics in the game? (Like that cool af shotgun backflip on gunslinger for example)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wtf I just saw the revive dealing damage thing... I guess I understand why these DMD bosses have such insane health pools. smh

And for some reason the nuke revive only takes away the 1.2 bonus, and has no penalty like the gold orb so you can still S rank.

That's honestly a huge bummer.