• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
is there a benefit to using the Devil Bringer Snatch over the Wire Snatch? I'm not used to the input so I've been sticking with the wire.
I did super non-analytic tests and saw the snatch seems to be the same (as someone who fully upgraded the breaker snatch). I've even considered swapping the two buttons, but I don't think it offers much.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I liked V before, but now that I've switched Griffon to L2 and Shadow to R2 I'm really loving him. I find it so much easier to get my brain around handling two different attack patterns at the same time when I don't have to manage them with the same thumb.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
How did you get on S rank-wise during your HaH run?
I used the super version of the characters on that mode so I couldn't get S ranks. I'm just mopping up all the trophies before I attempt S ranking the game, but to be honest, trying to S rank Hell and Hell mode is something I don't think I can be bothered to commit to, I don't enjoy it all and I can't be bothered with that stress.

At the moment I'm grinding red orbs to unlock all the special taunts, I've already got Dante's and Nero's, just grinding to get V's then I'm going to play through Human and S rank that, then probably do the same with Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda. Dante Must Die not so sure right now, maybe in the future, but that's just stress I can't be bothered with right now.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I like how dangerous things are on DMD. I feel the 800% damage is totally appropriate. But the 800% health is just obnoxious and quickly makes the fights just feel too drawn out and tedious. It really sucks all the fun out of it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well I finished the game in 12h (now I'm going to replay it slowly to unlock all the skills and higher difficulty levels). Solid action game that doesn't try to innovate the DMC formula but offers fun combat and good graphics.

The good:
-Character models, special effects, lighting... the technical aspect is gorgeous in this game.
-Combat is really fun and has a lot of options and depth.
-No stupid minigames or strange sections, the game goes straight to what we want.
-Good cinematics and character animations.
-Good bosses and decent enemy variety.

The bad:
-Nero and V feel like a really inferior version of Dante, playing with them after Dante felt like a big regression.
-Uninspired area design, there's no memorable areas in the game and the progression feels too limited.
-Lack of epic setpieces and big boss battles.
-The camera is not that good.
-The controls are not that good, they try to be as faithful as possible with older DMC games, but some modern actions games showed how to offer lots of availabe actions with the same buttons and less dependant on targeting enemies and pressing a direction. Also, mapping the dodge and jump actions on the same button is not a good idea.

Overall good game, I'm not as half as impressed as I was with RE2 remake few weeks ago, and I feel that DMC5 should have taken inspiration in other modern action titles in order to be a better game, it feels like the definivite version of the same formula, but IMO it has been surpased during it's absensce.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How would you fix V? Or is he just shitty on a fundamental level?

My biggest gripe is how slow it takes Shadow to reach a new target enemy. Griffon is fine since he dives or shoots balls/beams of energy, and his back+attack move instantly teleports him to you. Shadow loves to stand too far away and initiate attacks that can't reach their target. I'd want Shadow to move quickly enough or teleport so that if an attack fails to connect, he dissolves and reappears so that the second hit is guaranteed to land.

I think he plays very well and is an interesting character that offers something different. I'm assuming you don't like the hands off approach and feel like the buttons you're pressing aren't indicative of the actions. To fix that for you, I'd make V more of a conductor, and have him strike JoJo style poses for each different attack you make with Shadow. Then I'd put Griffon on an auto charge so you never have to hold the button down, but can still wait to use him when need be for more powerful attacks. Thus negating the need for players to feel like they're button mashing. Nightmare could stay AI driven. I don't think Nightmare is the problem for people who don't like V.
I really like the idea of Griffon auto-charging. It encourages the player not spam him, which is really an ineffective use of his abilities and toolkit.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'll say this about DMD (i've already said this about DMD but it bears repeating) it really forces you to learn the boss patterns because of how goddamn long you'll have to chip away at them. Even in SOS i didn't really learn any of the bosses properly until I tried to 1cc the finalboss.

I had to burn orbs to beat Cerberus and the dude at the bottom of the tree... i'm ashamed :(

At least I have a strategy for Cerberus, it's just a pain in the ass to concentrate for as long as I need to pull it off. The dude at the bottom of the tree, no clue... I lamed him out in the end with shotguns and teleport-sword mixups, which is a strategy I guess but it wasn't a very fun one.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
So I've got a couple of lingering questions. Can anyone help me out with any of this?

1. In mission 3, when you're jumping across the sunken rooftops, right before you go into the sewer, you can see some deactivated grim grips off to the right leading to a couple of red orb clusters, but they're too far out for me to shoot. I assume you get to that platform from another direction, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Anyone know?

2. Against Furies, sometimes they go nuts and just teleport everywhere without even necessarily attacking. Is there any way to force them to quit goofing around? Actually, I'll take any tips on fighting Fury you have. Right now, the only things I know how to do are spam multi-hit moves, and do dodge+counterattack when they do the "arms-crossed-in-the-air" attack.

3. With V, sometimes I'll try to do Griffon's charged back attack (the big electric sphere), but he'll teleport back towards me and away from the enemy before launching it. Am I doing something to make him back up to me?

Oct 25, 2017
I think my biggest issue with the game is that most bosses have no personality at all. I've seen someone saying DmC's bosses are more memorable, and while I think they're overall a lot worse, I can definitely see where they're coming from. They feel more like part of the game's story than in this game. DMC4 also did a better job characterizing most of its bosses. In DMC5 I can't even remember their names.

They sort of tried to do that with the chicken boss, and it's probably not a coincidence that it's one of my favorites, aside from the obvious picks.

I guess they just needed to talk more.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a couple of lingering questions. Can anyone help me out with any of this?

1. In mission 3, when you're jumping across the sunken rooftops, right before you go into the sewer, you can see some deactivated grim grips off to the right leading to a couple of red orb clusters, but they're too far out for me to shoot. I assume you get to that platform from another direction, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Anyone know?

2. Against Furies, sometimes they go nuts and just teleport everywhere without even necessarily attacking. Is there any way to force them to quit goofing around? Actually, I'll take any tips on fighting Fury you have. Right now, the only things I know how to do are spam multi-hit moves, and do dodge+counterattack when they do the "arms-crossed-in-the-air" attack.

3. With V, sometimes I'll try to do Griffon's charged back attack (the big electric sphere), but he'll teleport back towards me and away from the enemy before launching it. Am I doing something to make him back up to me?

i thought the nature of the electric sphere move is that it summons Griffon back to your side?

also no idea how to get to those extra red orbs in 3.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i slept on Griffon's dive bomb ability for longer than I should have.

it's ridiculously useful. in fact the main limited factor is that you have to position griffin properly or he'll stop like a meter from the target!

I think I'm getting wrist and thumb damage from this game... better wrap DMD soon so I can rest my hands for a bit. lol

I think my biggest issue with the game is that most bosses have no personality at all. I've seen someone saying DmC's bosses are more memorable, and while I think they're overall a lot worse, I can definitely see where they're coming from. They feel more like part of the game's story than in this game. DMC4 also did a better job characterizing most of its bosses. In DMC5 I can't even remember their names.

They sort of tried to do that with the chicken boss, and it's probably not a coincidence that it's one of my favorites, aside from the obvious picks.

I guess they just needed to talk more.

they talk plenty and it's all the most generic i-am-a-big-bad-demon-dialogue possible

mind you they're probably my favourite boss set - the only two i think aren't actually any fun to fight are Nidhogg and maybe the Plant Roots. Everyone else is great! Even Urizen, the great pilock, is a decent brawl.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure you get to the red orb clusters by getting to one of the boost pads before the V player drops the bridge.

I went through the level on human quickly and realized I was at that red orb cluster going the usual path, so I don't know what else it could be. Then from the orb clusters you use those grapple points to go into the sewer.

Oct 25, 2017
they talk plenty and it's all the most generic i-am-a-big-bad-demon-dialogue possible

mind you they're probably my favourite boss set - the only two i think aren't actually any fun to fight are Nidhogg and maybe the Plant Roots. Everyone else is great! Even Urizen, the great pilock, is a decent brawl.
I'm hoping SoS will make the fights more memorable to me, you can just mash your way through them in Devil Hunter and get an S rank anyway. I think I only actually learned the final boss, everyone else I just beat, but didn't learn.

Kind of had to learn Prologue Urizen last night too, I guess. It was pretty cool.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
i thought the nature of the electric sphere move is that it summons Griffon back to your side?

also no idea how to get to those extra red orbs in 3.

Sometimes I've been able to get him to fire it without returning to me, and it seemed like a nice combo tool. If the return is intended though, then it seems like a kind of bad move.

Pretty sure you get to the red orb clusters by getting to one of the boost pads before the V player drops the bridge.

I went through the level on human quickly and realized I was at that red orb cluster going the usual path, so I don't know what else it could be. Then from the orb clusters you use those grapple points to go into the sewer.

Thanks for this!

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I used the super version of the characters on that mode so I couldn't get S ranks. I'm just mopping up all the trophies before I attempt S ranking the game, but to be honest, trying to S rank Hell and Hell mode is something I don't think I can be bothered to commit to, I don't enjoy it all and I can't be bothered with that stress.

At the moment I'm grinding red orbs to unlock all the special taunts, I've already got Dante's and Nero's, just grinding to get V's then I'm going to play through Human and S rank that, then probably do the same with Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda. Dante Must Die not so sure right now, maybe in the future, but that's just stress I can't be bothered with right now.

I am about to finish up S ranking DMD and I am sure that once I do that I can do anything. Especially since HaH is set to SOS which will seem like a breeze after DMD.

But we'll see how I feel. Sekiro might grab my attention by then (before Bloody Palace rips it back, no doubt)

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I've been able to get him to fire it without returning to me, and it seemed like a nice combo tool. If the return is intended though, then it seems like a kind of bad move.

Thanks for this!

it's one of the few moves though where I know where my damn pet is gonna be. like i'm not good enough to always have the foresight to summon him back, but at least I know where tf he is.

meanwhile shadow is off at the fuckin store

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I am about to finish up S ranking DMD and I am sure that once I do that I can do anything. Especially since HaH is set to SOS which will seem like a breeze after DMD.
The one hit deaths and no checkpoints almost broke me, especially on mission 11 and 12 because of having to go through the whole level to get to the boss again. Having to learn the game so you take absolutely zero hits on the bosses is just too much commitment for me right now.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried the mission 19 boss some more this morning on SOS just to make sure and can confirm that it usually takes seconds to take out the doppelganger if you hold the style button down in Swordmaster with DSD to summon the homing-in summon swords.

Also, it feels so good when the boss backs off to do a judgment cut and the moment he starts doing it you use Trickster's ground trick to teleport right in his face from across the screen into a Stinger while he is still in the JC animation.

Oct 25, 2017
It's distance based. If he's too far away, he'll return before using the move, if you're close enough, he'll just use where he is.

I imagine it was designed to be a defensive maneuver, so that's why. But it's sort of even more interesting to use offensively due to that, since it makes you put V in harm's way.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
"Crazy Talk has already activated"
D66C6E3D51EF697DB26D8A69CF2536D4A5B92C2B

This is the second time I ran into him on Mission 2.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting to start this. I have two basic questions:

How do you switch between robot arms you have in the magazine? Or are you stuck with what you have till it breaks?

If you have max arms, can you pick up one from the ground/switch it with a held one?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

How do you switch between robot arms you have in the magazine? Or are you stuck with what you have till it breaks?

If you have max arms, can you pick up one from the ground/switch it with a held one?
1. You can't switch. It's a balance thing.
2. Nope. You gotta break the arm.

Oct 25, 2017

You have to break it on purpose, by pressing L1 with the default controls.

There's a specific breaker that shuffles your order that can be useful for intentionally changing, but it's DLC.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
On a related note, I figured out that you can do a similar thing with Dante's Royal Release. Particularly useful on his final boss for specific moves to get free counter state on the boss.
I actually used this on SoS difficulty too, but only in first phase when he does the dash forward > aerial launcher move. Did you find any other spots it was useful?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up to mission 12 or 13 and man, I'm really feeling lukewarm on this game.

I'm a huge DMC fan (I even liked DmC) and an even bigger character action game fan, but I'm not sure why I'm so-so on this game. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good. It's drop dead gorgeous, I love the variety of each of the characters and in terms of mechanics, this game has the best version of Dante, period.. but I'm finding it real hard to stay motivated to continue playing. The stages kind of suck and the story is whatever, but they've always not beenso great, so I doubt it's that.

Maybe I'll change my tune in the final strach of the game but as of now, DMCV is just OK to me and it's bumming me out.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean the pieces of heart blue orbs. I mean the breakable clusters scattered through the level. There's red and blue versions (so far, I'm early).
Oh, that early the clusters are red and green (the green can look kinda blue in certain areas due to the lighting). The green clusters are HP, however if you re at full health they will be converted to red orbs.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Man I've been using the Switch pro controller on pc but this dpad has gotten me killed on Dante enough times that I'm switching to DS4 for him. I'll keep using it for Nero though for the analog triggers.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm up to mission 12 or 13 and man, I'm really feeling lukewarm on this game.

I'm a huge DMC fan (I even liked DmC) and an even bigger character action game fan, but I'm not sure why I'm so-so on this game. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good. It's drop dead gorgeous, I love the variety of each of the characters and in terms of mechanics, this game has the best version of Dante, period.. but I'm finding it real hard to stay motivated to continue playing. The stages kind of suck and the story is whatever, but they've always not beenso great, so I doubt it's that.

Maybe I'll change my tune in the final strach of the game but as of now, DMCV is just OK to me and it's bumming me out.
I felt the same way until I played on SOS and had most of the abilities unlocked. It's way more fun then.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone enlighten me ?
I bought everything for Dante including that 3 millions EX. Everything is at 100% but ability (shows 85% in customize menu but 93% in skill list). I have nothing else to buy

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Can anyone enlighten me ?
I bought everything for Dante including that 3 millions EX. Everything is at 100% but ability (shows 85% in customize menu but 93% in skill list). I have nothing else to buy
Did you get the double Kalina Anns?

Edit: Sorry read that wrong, if it's abilities then all I can think of is unlocking it so you can use all 7 weapon slots. I think you have to beat SOS to do that.

Last edited: