• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys weren't kidding about the back>forward E&I Gunslinger attack, it makes the style meter sky rocket.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
ZZCWPpr.png
"...SO IT IS WRITTEN"

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Ran into something a bit odd, cant seem to get "Battle for the Ages" unlocked. (Clear Missions 19 and 20 without using continues)
I remember popping a Gold Orb my first time in 19. So I replayed it, beat it without continuing, no achievement. So I replay 20 without continuing thinking maybe I have to do it in a row, no achievement either. Anyone else getting this issue?

While I'm asking things, I glanced at the mission select and didn't see any info about per-mission collectables. Someone please tell me there's a way to see what Blue/Purple Orb Frags' I've found, because not having that info feels dated AF.

You guys weren't kidding about the back>forward E&I Gunslinger attack, it makes the style meter sky rocket.
Is that Honeycomb Fire?

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Started this two days ago. I haven't played a DMC game in years but some of the control changes like having to hold back instead of forward for Nero's Split are tripping me up lol.

Not a huge fan of V so far though, but I've only played 1 mission as him.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished SOS today, felt it was still overall pretty easy. Surprisingly, I think the hardest boss in the game is actually Mission 18's boss.

I still stand by the opinion that Sin DT is broken in DH/SOS difficulties, but I can definitely see this changing in DMD. The triangle+square attack is just ridiculous and lets you beat bosses you have no business beating.

I'm gonna spend some time in the lab before going into DMD, I still don't know what I'm doing with Dante at all.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Just finished SOS today, felt it was still overall pretty easy. Surprisingly, I think the hardest boss in the game is actually Mission 18's boss.

I still stand by the opinion that Sin DT is broken in DH/SOS difficulties, but I can definitely see this changing in DMD. The triangle+square attack is just ridiculous and lets you beat bosses you have no business beating.

I'm gonna spend some time in the lab before going into DMD, I still don't know what I'm doing with Dante at all.

I'm 2/3 of the way through SoS and i've yet to even touch gunslinger and until just now was only using Balrog and DSD.

But chapter 19 will probably put me in a blender.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Im starting to feel this way about SDT as well. Giving me bayo 2 flashbacks, though I don't think it's as destructive to the game as Umbran Climax was. It melts like half a life bar on SoS bosses so I've just resorted to not using it at all. Feels like cheating

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty dang weak combo compared to what I've seen for the other two though :/
11 years worth of muscle memory, technique polishing, tech and combo practice versus 3 days.

Not saying V is going to come close to Dante/Nero but it's not exactly a fair comparison to make. There are a ton of legacy mechanics/skills/techniques in DMC5 that are carried from older games, dating back to DMC3.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I miss proud souls. I'm farming orbs to complete Nero's skill set, and then I switch to V and I'm piss broke with so many more orbs to get.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I wouldn't recommend moving sword too far away from devil breaker because it will make using some of Nero's endgame abilities super cumbersome to do since they have you pressing both of those buttons at the same time. X and B (xbox scheme) together is impossible for me to do without flubbing something.
Except there's nothing preventing you from hitting a face button and trigger button at the same time.

Also, I have a steam controller so I can map combos to paddles if absolutely necessary (currently using them for breakaway/nightmare/change gun on left and jumping on right).

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Except there's nothing preventing you from hitting a face button and trigger button at the same time.

Also, I have a steam controller so I can map combos to paddles if absolutely necessary (currently using them for breakaway/nightmare/change gun on left and jumping on right).
Oh is there alternate inputs for those attacks or something? Talking about Showdown and Maximum Bet. I had originally swapped melee to X (so it was RB + back/forward + x + b) but ended up swapping back after I unlocked those moves.

Paddles sound super useful for this game. I'm jealous!

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Whats the online function in the game? Sometimes before a mission it'll connect something and I'll get a stupid text box on the left saying "Starring: Some Guy" or something. Then after the mission I should rate his shit - without seeing anything? As a good guy I've always been stupid positive on the feedback but what the heck?

Also, whats with the audio desync during cut scenes? Driving this through Denuvo-free .exe and ultrawide haxor = cause for desync?

Good combat, great character graphics. Hilariously similar in all aspects to DmC that every "true fan" seems to piss on. Loved that game for the same reason I'm liking this, and hating that game for the same reasons I'm disliking this: moronic stage design "adventuring".

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Oh is there alternate inputs for those attacks or something? Talking about Showdown and Maximum Bet. I had originally swapped melee to X (so it was RB + back/forward + x + b) but ended up swapping back after I unlocked those moves.

Paddles sound super useful for this game. I'm jealous!
Haven't gotten to endgame yet, but I'm just basing it off how you said it was sword + DT simultaneously.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Boy lock on switching is trash in this game. I know! I'll swap r3 and l3!

*click in the left stick while moving around*

AUTO ASSIST ENABLED

*sobs quietly and rebinds the control scheme back to default*

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the online function in the game? Sometimes before a mission it'll connect something and I'll get a stupid text box on the left saying "Starring: Some Guy" or something. Then after the mission I should rate his shit - without seeing anything? As a good guy I've always been stupid positive on the feedback but what the heck?

First post explains it better than I could, but the short. Basically ghost data from another player in another mission can be seen in the background in some levels. So if you care you can stop and just watch them, then rate them after.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why did I even struggle against the chicken boss...i just s-ranked the fight by continously spamming the charged gunshot

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Boy lock on switching is trash in this game. I know! I'll swap r3 and l3!

*click in the left stick while moving around*

AUTO ASSIST ENABLED

*sobs quietly and rebinds the control scheme back to default*
This is a really big issue for me in need of a quality of life patch. Pressing L3 to change targets does nothing while you're moving around, which is infuriating. Tapping lock-on doesn't even cycle enemies, it just targets only the center most in front of your character.

In addition to fixing how the change target mechanic works, I wish they'd let me tap the right stick left/right to change targets to the respective direction of my current target.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Finally managed to S rank mission 19 on DH. Not the most amazing feat but I still feel pretty good about it, though I've come to the conclusion I've 0 clue how rankings are determined.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's all the same in every difficulty. Most of them aren't even about killing.

Perfect, thanks.

Finally managed to S rank mission 19 on DH. Not the most amazing feat but I still feel pretty good about it, though I've come to the conclusion I've 0 clue how rankings are determined.

It's purely based on style points. I unfortunately got an A the first time because I just couldn't keep my style points high. It annoyed me that the boss was always too far away for taunts to work after a combo.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 2/3 of the way through SoS and i've yet to even touch gunslinger and until just now was only using Balrog and DSD.

But chapter 19 will probably put me in a blender.
It honestly wasn't much different than the fight in DH, just be aware that Rainstorm counters
summoned swords
and be patient as he does have quite a bit of recovery after his combos strings for you to get a combo in.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the environments in DMC5 a whole lot because it's a ton of giant demon rib cage roads and hardened blood tunnels, but they're better than in DMC4. DMC4's were realistic and looked good at the time, but they lacked the flavor of DMC3. DMC3's tower was almost like Sparda's Castlevania or something. DMC4's environments didn't really tell a story. For example, the fortress was the Order's hideout or whatever, and they worship Sparda, but it was just a cathedral with no religious imagery. DMC5's environments make more sense and have more character. So many rib cage roads, though.

Maybe Bloody Palace will be on a bone platform inside a blood tunnel.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Whoooo Cavalier Angelo is a fucking blast on SoS. Went in the first time and was having so much fun fighting her again that when I died and looked down I realised I'd only chipped off a quarter of her health.

Going in with Balrog is so good. That uppercut on stagger and punching the sword to parry feel phenomenal.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
You can cheese for a easy S rank (DH mode) using Ebony and Ivory + SwordMaster DSD holding circle on mission 19.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
First run done. Overall, I feel that it's a good game with tons of flaws. It was also a game of two halves: the first being around a 6/10 and the second being a 9/10. Combat overall is a mixed bag despite being the main draw here. If you're in it for the story, it's nonsense garbage and I love it for that.

Spoilers:

It seems that beating the game doesn't unlock the ability to choose any character on any mission. That's a huge miss. Ideally in the next one they'll design it around a combination of Dante/Nero/Lady/Trish/Vergil/new character being present throughout the game. This could help expand the online component as well since it was really underdeveloped here.

It's nice that Nero's tools get expanded in NG+, but there needs to be more. Dante is ridiculous in this game. Once you get to him, it's so difficult to play anyone else. Having the different devil breakers is great, but why not let you cycle through them on the fly? I understand Nero needs to feel different from Dante, but he just feels so slow in comparison. And then V... man, I liked him at first. But then as the game wore on I liked him less and less. There's a clear hierarchy here of Dante > Nero > V and, while I'm sure some will disagree, I'm confident that will be consensus.

I've seen it stated before, but the game could've used more level variety in terms of visuals. The actual level design got more interesting toward the end at least. As did the mission structure. The game needed more of that. Somewhere in the mission 5-10 mark the game was losing me. They could've axed a bunch of missions and the game would've been better paced.

Platforming sucks. No surprises there I guess.

Fan service was great. There isn't much to say beyond that.

I'm torn. I'd like to play SOS, but I'm not looking forward to revisiting the first half of the game. It's made even worse by having so many loading screens. (and I have it installed to my SSD) There also aren't really any non-boss encounters that stand out to me. I will play more, but I may just wait until after Sekiro.

...fuck. I'll just say it. I kind of feel like playing Bayonetta 2 again. That game is just so well paced in comparison. It feels so much more rewarding to briskly wreck shit than any SSS ranking. I know, apples to oranges, but I seen some dunking on it before DMC5's release because the combat isn't "serious" enough. And yes, I absolutely felt like I was digging deeper into a combat system whilst playing DMC5 — especially with Dante. But at the end of the day your game needs to be fun. DMC5 is a better game to play in the "void," and that's fine if it's all someone is looking for. Bayo 2 is the MUCH better campaign. I rate the latter far more highly than the former.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
finally a use for king cerberus

thus far I've not found cerberus a super fun weapon, but if it gets me out of furies that might change

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You guys seem to be missing a lot of the actual spoken dialogue in the game regarding the plot.

Splitting himself in two was a mistake. Vergil was fighting against his human half, resenting it, wanting to get rid of it. But after he did that, when he realized that "He" was the human half all along, he knew he would need Dante's help to get back to his demon half and become whole again. Vergil never intended to grow the Qlipoth and become the Demon King of Hell. That was all Urizen who is just nothing but blind lust for power and revenge.

Vergil is being honest when he tells Trish about what happened. Being V made him realize how important his humanity is and who he is. He's also being honest when he's being carried by Nero and he says all he wanted was to be protected. He's talking about himself when he was a child and he felt abandoned by his mother because from his perspective she left him to die to save Dante over him and then she got killed anyway.

What V is NOT being honest about is he doesn't want to defeat Urizen to kill him. He wants to use Dante to subdue Urizen so he can merge back together with him again.

*That* is why he's smirking when Nero is carrying him. He thinks his plan is going to work and Nero and Dante will get him to Urizen and he'll be able to rejoin and get his demon powers back again.

You can tell after the split when V is visibly shaken by what's happened that the outcome was NOT what Vergil intended. You can tell from V's dialogue to himself/Griffin in Mission 4 about how he will NOT let Urizen become more powerful that he does not want Urizen to end up eating the fruit.

Vergil does change and grow as a character after becoming whole. He still wants to settle things with Dante but you can tell from how he reacts to being beaten by Nero by making an excuse to save a human city that you know Vergil wouldn't normally give two shits about, but his son wants to save it so he's going along.

He also gives his William Blake book to Nero, with the excuse that it's just for him to hold onto until he returns. It takes a little reading in the Gallery library but that book was very dear to Vergil since childhood. You can also tell by how he thanked Nero right after becoming whole, that's not something the old Vergil would have done.

Or how in the after credits scene when he's just sparring with Dante in a friendly and non-lethal manner just to pass the time. He's always going to be an asshole that will have to make an excuse to do anything remotely nice but I think they made it obvious that he's moved on from who he used to be and in the end is accepting of Dante and Nero as his family.
Glad there's atleast some people who get it.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Done with DMD now. Not as hellishly infuriating as DMC3 but it got bad sometimes, I used hella Gold orbs. Enemies taking forever to die was always a thing but goodness, I really felt it here. Proto Angelos were absolute pains here.

I may replay it later so I've got a question, what's the activator for enemy D.T? On older games you'd get a heads up before they transform and it was always dependent on how long they were alive. Here it doesn't seem like there's a heads up, they just pop their D.T after the life bar reaches a certain amount for many enemies sometimes and other times it didn't. This had quite confused at times.

Overall thoughts after DMD: I felt more comfortable with Nero's kit to deal with most enemies and avoid damage while dealing enough too. I was probably overwhelmed and not exploring my options right with Dante because I died way too muc and relied on S.D.T way too often with him. V was just lol. Anyway, really Love the game, best DMC for me and thinking best out and out action game ever for me too. Can't wait for Bloody Palace.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's purely based on style points. I unfortunately got an A the first time because I just couldn't keep my style points high. It annoyed me that the boss was always too far away for taunts to work after a combo.
Yeah that's what I thought. I was just thrown off since I feel like I had some other attempts where I played a lot better but I guess not, either way it's done now and I'm one step closer to moving onto SoS.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on SoS is a lot of fun because you have so many possibilities of your arsenal. Just beat mission 3 and the boss was a blast.