• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the characters are taking inspiration from each other.

Like Dante has summon swords on DSD and Nero has a rocket punch version of Real Impact.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Alternate colours are pre-order bonuses only unfortunately, my copy was just the base game so I brought the DLC bundle but that didn't include the outfits, ended up going to ebay where you'll sometimes find people selling pre-order bonuses separate after release. I actually did have the game pre-ordered on PC but cancelled after I got an early copy, spent that money on getting a PS4 version as well but not a pre-order. Horizon Zero Dawn also had a pre-order only outfit which looked really good but wasn't available in any version of the game, did the same there, went to ebay and brought it from there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even realize my GMG.com order didn't include the extras, which I understand considering it's cheaper. I just snagged one from ebay, too.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
You guys seem to be missing a lot of the actual spoken dialogue in the game regarding the plot.

Splitting himself in two was a mistake. Vergil was fighting against his human half, resenting it, wanting to get rid of it. But after he did that, when he realized that "He" was the human half all along, he knew he would need Dante's help to get back to his demon half and become whole again. Vergil never intended to grow the Qlipoth and become the Demon King of Hell. That was all Urizen who is just nothing but blind lust for power and revenge.

Vergil is being honest when he tells Trish about what happened. Being V made him realize how important his humanity is and who he is. He's also being honest when he's being carried by Nero and he says all he wanted was to be protected. He's talking about himself when he was a child and he felt abandoned by his mother because from his perspective she left him to die to save Dante over him and then she got killed anyway.

What V is NOT being honest about is he doesn't want to defeat Urizen to kill him. He wants to use Dante to subdue Urizen so he can merge back together with him again.

*That* is why he's smirking when Nero is carrying him. He thinks his plan is going to work and Nero and Dante will get him to Urizen and he'll be able to rejoin and get his demon powers back again.

You can tell after the split when V is visibly shaken by what's happened that the outcome was NOT what Vergil intended. You can tell from V's dialogue to himself/Griffin in Mission 4 about how he will NOT let Urizen become more powerful that he does not want Urizen to end up eating the fruit.

Vergil does change and grow as a character after becoming whole. He still wants to settle things with Dante but you can tell from how he reacts to being beaten by Nero by making an excuse to save a human city that you know Vergil wouldn't normally give two shits about, but his son wants to save it so he's going along.

He also gives his William Blake book to Nero, with the excuse that it's just for him to hold onto until he returns. It takes a little reading in the Gallery library but that book was very dear to Vergil since childhood. You can also tell by how he thanked Nero right after becoming whole, that's not something the old Vergil would have done.

Or how in the after credits scene when he's just sparring with Dante in a friendly and non-lethal manner just to pass the time. He's always going to be an asshole that will have to make an excuse to do anything remotely nice but I think they made it obvious that he's moved on from who he used to be and in the end is accepting of Dante and Nero as his family.

Dec 6, 2017
US
V has by far the least amount of missions in the game. You're only required to play as him four times.

I'll try to power through his second mission and hope that's that for a while. I was just getting in the swing of things when finding the game a tad lukewarm to begin with when V made his hideous appearance and it just brought any fun I was beginning to have to a screeching halt. I just quit during his second mission and went back to playing REMake 2 instead.

I really liked the demo but so far I'm actually really disappointed. I've found the pacing, level design and aesthetics really off-putting and boring.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
the giant preying mantis and fetish alligators can be real damage sponges on dmd

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
You guys seem to be missing a lot of the actual spoken dialogue in the game regarding the plot.

Splitting himself in two was a mistake. Vergil was fighting against his human half, resenting it, wanting to get rid of it. But after he did that, when he realized that "He" was the human half all along, he knew he would need Dante's help to get back to his demon half and become whole again. Vergil never intended to grow the Qlipoth and become the Demon King of Hell. That was all Urizen who is just nothing but blind lust for power and revenge.

Vergil is being honest when he tells Trish about what happened. Being V made him realize how important his humanity is and who he is. He's also being honest when he's being carried by Nero and he says all he wanted was to be protected. He's talking about himself when he was a child and he felt abandoned by his mother because from his perspective she left him to die to save Dante over him and then she got killed anyway.

What V is NOT being honest about is he doesn't want to defeat Urizen to kill him. He wants to use Dante to subdue Urizen so he can merge back together with him again.

*That* is why he's smirking when Nero is carrying him. He thinks his plan is going to work and Nero and Dante will get him to Urizen and he'll be able to rejoin and get his demon powers back again.

You can tell after the split when V is visibly shaken by what's happened that the outcome was NOT what Vergil intended. You can tell from V's dialogue to himself/Griffin in Mission 4 about how he will NOT let Urizen become more powerful that he does not want Urizen to end up eating the fruit.

Vergil does change and grow as a character after becoming whole. He still wants to settle things with Dante but you can tell from how he reacts to being beaten by Nero by making an excuse to save a human city that you know Vergil wouldn't normally give two shits about, but his son wants to save it so he's going along.

He also gives his William Blake book to Nero, with the excuse that it's just for him to hold onto until he returns. It takes a little reading in the Gallery library but that book was very dear to Vergil since childhood. You can also tell by how he thanked Nero right after becoming whole, that's not something the old Vergil would have done.

Or how in the after credits scene when he's just sparring with Dante in a friendly and non-lethal manner just to pass the time. He's always going to be an asshole that will have to make an excuse to do anything remotely nice but I think they made it obvious that he's moved on from who he used to be and in the end is accepting of Dante and Nero as his family.
This is what I take from it as well. Loved how it all played out and excited to see where they take it all.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Finished it last night and I'm already pretty hyped for my next playthrough. I...might even get the digital upgrade to the deluxe edition, I never do this kind of thing. But every aspect of it seems perfect to spice up multiple playthroughs. I haven't really seen anyone complain about that content, at any rate.
I was in the same boat as you. Finished the game the day before yesterday on Devil Hunter and immediately wanted to jump back in. So I unlocked the other ending right away and then spent over an hour in the Void before starting new on SoS difficulty. The first run is mostly a tutorial, the fun starts with Son of Sparda.

I never upgraded to a special edition, most of the time basic editions are fine or I am buying physical CEs. So I got the standard edition and thought it was fine. But with this game it was different, I think you get a lot for your buck with the upgrade.

Already have 26 hours playtime and it will be hundreds more like in Devil May Cry 4, fantastic gameplay.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

He also shows explicit regret over not being able to save more people, to himself, while we are inside his head, in the prequel novel. And I really do not think that they were going to involve like multiple layers of unreliable narration in a prequel novel to the video game. That's overthinking it. So it's IMO safe to assume, that that stuff is accurate.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sparda or Rebellion and DSD makes sense, but carrying all 3 would be purely for memes I'd imagine.
Actually, other than instant prop shredder, what differences are there between Sparda/Rebellion's moveset and DSD?
Main one is that Sparda/Rebellion have Round Trip which is a very strong tool. Also they can do reverse Helm Breakers easier since it's on a button as opposed to a command. It's really for top end players where something like that would make a big difference. Overall I would say for most players to just stick with DSD as it can do pretty much everything than the normal swords (even has its own variant of Round Trip).

Also new video by Donguri:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Getting hit by random projectiles in Hell and Hell mode is the worst. I killed one of those scissor enemies and their scissor landed on me. -_-

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
GF tries to drag me to see Captain Marvel but baby someone has to slay them demons.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

^^^

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh, I'll have to disagree about the smirk.

To me it felt like more of a heartfelt moment where he finally accepted someone's help when Nero helped him walk.

He actually like Nero I think which is why he thanks him later when he became Vergil again.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Seems Capcom won't be bragging about DMCVs sales, unlike RE2.

Well at least we got this one game.

I doubt they'll be disappointed with sales unless they were hoping for something insane like 6 million within the month. Steam concurrent peak beat out RE2 within 24 hours and retailers were constantly sold out of console versions during the opening weekend.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Think i'm pretty good at the game at this point. Got some good comb---"

OTHER PLAYERS:

8UnIW3H.gif

"........."

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Tbh, I'll have to disagree about the smirk.

To me it felt like more of a heartfelt moment where he finally accepted someone's help when Nero helped him walk.

He actually like Nero I think which is why he thanks him later when he became Vergil again.

I can agree to that.

That seems entirely plausible also.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Well said. My initial reaction to it wasn't very good.
I thought Vergil was being a fucking baby. Wah I keep losing to Dante. Well, he kinda was but it was deeper than that. I just wonder how he knew that if he merged back with Urizen he would be restored to power. Regardless, I'm glad he's not a villain anymore. He's also obviously not very photogenic because the dude is handsome lol. The leaked made him look out of shape.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people were disappointed in the story but I thought it was a lot better than Bayo (especially 2), even if it was at the cost of setpieces.

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't get those extra scenes on my first playthrough, just watched them on youtube, and man, the ending is so much more impactful with the final one. Shame I missed it.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Well said. My initial reaction to it wasn't very good.
I thought Vergil was being a fucking baby. Wah I keep losing to Dante. Well, he kinda was but it was deeper than that. I just wonder how he knew that if he merged back with Urizen he would be restored to power. Regardless, I'm glad he's not a villain anymore. He's also obviously not very photogenic because the dude is handsome lol. The leaked made him look out of shape.

They're a bit vague with it but

Unless there's something in the prequel novel about it, I would imagine that the personal growth he experiences as V is the cause of it. When he rejoins with Urizen he's truly 'whole' for the first time because he then accepts and embraces his humanity and realizes its a core part of who he is. That could also be why he's in such bad shape in the beginning before the split. He's actively rejecting half of himself and needs the yamato to literally separate himself.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people were disappointed in the story but I thought it was a lot better than Bayo (especially 2), even if it was at the cost of setpieces.
Bayo games barely have story so this is not a big fence to clear.

Despite some of my reservations with where the story ended up, the production values, the character moments and general dialogue was exactly what I had wanted out of a DMC game. Genuinely funny and some awesome moments.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's really a shame how bland the enviroments are because otherwise this game is otherwise incredible from start to finish.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't enjoy playing V in the end, felt too passive/backseat for me.

Nice post.

I really like what they did with Virgil in the end, this was definitely a different side to him that we never saw before. Also when you are at the menu he's sitting next to Nero in the van smirking at him.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The remixes that play during The History of DMC video, are those the Deluxe tracks? Or did we get the original, standard tracks? Those remixes are fire and I want 'em!!

And to anyone with the Collectors Edition, how's the artbook? Number of pages?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way they started setting up the Mission 20 fight starting from mission 17 was so good.

Vergil tells Dante that he doesn't want to fight him yet because he wants Dante to be fresh and for it to be a fair fight
Vergil tells Dante that he doesn't want to fight him yet because he wants Dante to be fresh and for it to be a fair fight.

Later when they are fighting in Mission 19 you can visibly see towards the end of the fight that Vergil is exhausted because when he has about 20% life left, he can no longer guard your attacks properly. If you mash attack in his face you will break his guard in a few hits and open him up for a punish (which isn't something you can do before he reaches low health).

This is the state in which Vergil then immediately starts fighting Nero.

So yeah, Nero does beat Vergil technically but it wasn't a Vergil that was fighting on all cylinders.

This makes Nero's win a lot more believable while preserving Vergil's powerhouse reputation. It all feels very well thought out.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of over the top action scenes the likes of 3 and 4?
There were quite some action scenes interspersed through the whole game but aside from the van and weapon pop off scenes... there wasn't anything like DMC3 where Dante would pop off for minutes for no real reason except if its like end/start of a mission. DMC5 was really more committed to moving the story along with every cutscene, hence it had more dialogue than any DMC game before it.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of over the top action scenes the likes of 3 and 4?

Now that you mention it, yeah. Pretty much all the cutscenes are left to talking with very few letting Dante or Nero go ham.

They could have used this as an opportunity to give Trish and Lady some badass fight scenes but instead we get weaboo fanservice for the incel demographic, smh.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Made it to Chapter 15 last night. Hoping I can get in another hour of playtime tonight too. Looking forward to finally being able to read all the spoiler tags and make a meaningful contribution. Plus I really want to make another playthrough (because I discovered late that Easy mode really does mean easy which is great but I havent died once so far lol). So definitely want to replay after its' done and learn the mechanics better

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
If bloody palace is just more Qliphoth walls forever I'll be sad. Hope there's some variety.

Also, Balrog not having a forward + style move in kick mode is bullshit.

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
I got the game yesterday and played up to mission 10, and I am convinced this is already the best Character Action game since Wonderful 101. I'd even go so far as to say it elevates the medium as a whole. It's so proud of its identity as a video game - something the industry honestly needs more of, at least in the AAA space.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do the characters emote when they get a zoom kill specifically? I killed a late game chapter boss with million stab into stinger, and dante when from grin to full smile during the zoom

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Excellent write up. It baffles me that people can misread those scenes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with their decision to focus more on characterization compared to OTT cinematics, (ofc there are plenty of those but considering the character switching they're less frequent). Like one of the my favorite scenes in the game is Lady explaining what happened, or V's convo with Trish. Very quiet and tone doned scenes, music is more subdued, lots of focus on microexpressions, voice tone, and body language. I enjoy those types of moments.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If bloody palace is just more Qliphoth walls forever I'll be sad. Hope there's some variety.

Also, Balrog not having a forward + style move in kick mode is bullshit.
It'd be dope if the bloody palace stage is one of the two moving stages(dabte secret mission and Nero/v mission 7)