• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Story spoilers I guess [end game]

so what's the deal? Vergil split his demon and human side in two to use V as a distraction while demon boy went to eat an apple. But the twist is V was meant to then reclaim the demon , now more powerful because he ate the fruit?

So why are Dante and Vergil chums after he tried to become demon lord of all? What am I missing?
I took as either

A) He was dying and desperate to prolong his life, thinking that separating his two halves would do this

or

B) He wanted to get rid of his human weakness once and for all, and V was a byproduct of the process, leftovers, if you will, which backfired when he became a fully autonomous person

Urizen's motivations are easy to explain - he just wanted the fruit to become stronger. V's are a little more complex. He clearly wanted to merge with Urizen in order to, well, stay alive in some form, but it also seems like he felt regret over not only separating himself to begin with, but all the heinous things he did as Vergil throughout his life. So it seems possible to me that he truly did want to stop Urizen, not only to prolong his life and become whole again, but also because he genuinely disapproved of what his demon half was doing. There does seem to be some desire for atonement in him, to a degree.

Upon becoming Vergil again he clearly no longer has any motivations of world domination, or homicidal tendencies, and even goes so far as to thank Nero for essentially saving his life and giving him his childhood keepsake. Vergil is still an asshole, but it's clear that his time as V influenced him in some way.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
also aside from the nidhogg and the plant root i gotta say this game has pretty good beast-sized bosses. and it doesn't lock the best boss behind 10 minutes of space harrier, which is always a plus

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Sunhi, you know how to actually combo and shit in this game? Wtf? I always thought you were just all show. Just a graphics guy or something. But you got skills dude haha. Boy was I wrong.
It's Sunhi. He wouldnt have managed to create all those fantastic Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, and God of War vids if he doesnt have the skills.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this game way more than I expected. I even stopped Kingdom Hearts 3 until I finish this first.
One of the highlights of this generation for sure.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to ask, should you still be reading the book as V when you have DT active? It feels like it lasts such a long time already, I'm not sure if it's making a difference but I've always been doing it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Started my second playthrough, this time on PC (PS4 second run on the weekends lol) and man this game looks even cleaner shockingly. Doing a fun run this time though so cheats ahoy!

At least thats what I thought at first but I got so into it post mission 2 that I kept going to mission 8 without the cheats turned on haha. Damn this is a good game even when I try to break it I can just enjoy it as is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got it for not letting Shadow or Griffon get downed on level 5 I think it was. It was either that or beating it on SOS, can't remember.

Bizarrely, I don't have that trophy and I haven't finished SoS, yet I got that EX Color at the end of my first playthrough. These unlock requirements are confusing.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's clearing both post-credit sequences and unlocking the cinematics?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I heard to unlock V's EX color, you have to clear the final mission two mission without dying, and complete the fights during the ending credits.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think you have to use strength to check under the truck at the port

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished, god damn this game is good it throws so much at you to use and trying to master it all is complete euphoria.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Good god! I just fired up the game for the first time and this shit is absolutely crazy! This is the best looking game I've set my eyes on, and we're talking about DMC.

I played the prologue and Mission 1 a couple of times. Decided to stop right when I unlocked the customization menu. Holy fuck, Payline! I'm still annoyed that Split was moved to lock on + back, but Payline is worth rewiring my brain. I'll start really getting into it tomorrow. First thing I have to figure out is what button I want for Breakers because holding down Circle for the powered up move isn't gonna work for me.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I feel like I'm missing something with Nero. He feels WAY weaker than the others and his dodge doesn't work nearly as well as the others. I can't seem to avoid getting hit with him, while I'm just jumping through fools as V or Dante. Plus his items being expendable means I never quite know what moveset I have, and don't want to use the charge attacks because I don't want to lose the arm.

I'm sure I just need a different mindset when I'm playing him. But his levels have been the only frustrating parts of the game for me.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I want that ex color so bad lol.

Also regarding BP... Think you'll be able to double up on the same character in MP?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I think I got it for not letting Shadow or Griffon get downed on level 5 I think it was.
Nah. I got the trophy for not letting the summons die, but no EX color.

Edit: Googled it
  • EX Color V (beat 25 missions)
  • EX Color Vergil (beat Heaven or Hell mode)
  • Super Dante (beat Dante Must Die mode)
  • Super Nero (beat Dante Must Die mode)
  • Super V (beat Dante Must Die mode)

Last edited:

preta

Oct 25, 2017
For my part, I got V's EX color (as well as Nero's recovery provocation) after replaying the final mission on Devil Hunter, getting a B on it after two red orb revives, then getting both secret ending scenes for the first time.

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding level design I kinda like mission 15/16 for repeat playthroughs. Its kinda of cool having shortcuts/choice.

Oh I actually knew that you could jump in through its portals. Still pretty cool though.
Dam son, I didnt even know this boss had moves till today. Shes dies so quick if you're half decent at exceed on SoS. I found out earlier she has like a crazy charge around phase+projectile spam phase.

It's Sunhi. He wouldnt have managed to create all those fantastic Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, and God of War vids if he doesnt have the skills.
I mean those games are all just spectacle/very basic, but his editing/framing skill is what makes them look amazing. That gif actually required dexterous skill and game knowledge to create. Hes like the director and star of the show in that gif.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something with Nero. He feels WAY weaker than the others and his dodge doesn't work nearly as well as the others. I can't seem to avoid getting hit with him, while I'm just jumping through fools as V or Dante. Plus his items being expendable means I never quite know what moveset I have, and don't want to use the charge attacks because I don't want to lose the arm.

I'm sure I just need a different mindset when I'm playing him. But his levels have been the only frustrating parts of the game for me.

Are you revving your sword? Once you start EX-ACTing every sword swing Nero is an absolute monster.

I'd recommend not hoarding Devil Breakers, too. There are plenty scattered around the levels, they're cheap to buy, and they do insane damage if you just use them when you need them.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017

damage wise nero really requires x-ceed to make his moves deal mucho damage. Other than that always be charging his shot since the multi-hit effect keeps enemies in hitstun for a while. once you get better at dodging, don't be afraid to use the breaker arms more often too.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Are you revving your sword? Once you start EX-ACTing every sword swing Nero is an absolute monster.

I'd recommend not hoarding Devil Breakers, too. There are plenty scattered around the levels, they're cheap to buy, and they do insane damage if you just use them when you need them.

Yeah, I always go in revved, but don't have the timing down on how to charge swing. And I guess I do burn though the breakers, I just don't like it because it cycles to another one and I have no idea what it's gonna do, lol.

I guess I'm just missing something with his dodge. Again, I'm getting S ranks and barely get hit with the others. Nero just gets tossed around. Maybe I'm just spoiled because Trickster and that Bird are just too good.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way that can be correct. I've beaten it on DH and SoS. Wouldn't that be more than enough?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
damnit i should have used my early copy to make shittonnes of tutorial vids for crap I stumbled into

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

That's not it either, I've beaten DH, SoS and most of Human and still don't have it. Got the extra ending scene too.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Oh, well there we go lol. Thanks.

Also, talking about unlockables, this game is in dire need of actual unlockable costumes, like at least DMC1/3 Dante, DMC4 Nero, and so on. I hope they add more in at some point.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think that 1CC (not dying) on 19 and 20, + clearing both post-credits with a success, might be it - I definitely know I've done all of that (and not even on the same playthrough)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I always go in revved, but don't have the timing down on how to charge swing. And I guess I do burn though the breakers, I just don't like it because it cycles to another one and I have no idea what it's gonna do, lol.

I guess I'm just missing something with his dodge. Again, I'm getting S ranks and barely get hit with the others. Nero just gets tossed around. Maybe I'm just spoiled because Trickster and that Bird are just too good.

The timing for mid-swing revs isn't all that hard to pick up. Don't think about trying to getting it on every single move, rather just get into a rhythm of hitting L2 shortly after each Triangle press and you'll get it by accident fairly often, and the more you do it the better you'll get at it. It really sends your damage output through the roof.

I actually find I'm best at avoiding damage with Nero because I'm always in the air with him. He has so much aerial mobility even without Gerbera, and his air taunt is chock full of i-frames. Spending as little time on the ground as possible really cuts down on the potential for taking damage :P

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The timing for mid-swing revs isn't all that hard to pick up. Don't think about trying to getting it on every single move, rather just get into a rhythm of hitting L2 shortly after each Triangle press and you'll get it by accident fairly often, and the more you do it the better you'll get at it. It really sends your damage output through the roof.

I actually find I'm best at avoiding damage with Nero because I'm always in the air with him. He has so much aerial mobility even without Gerbera, and his air taunt is chock full of i-frames. Spending as little time on the ground as possible really cuts down on the potential for taking damage :P

That could be it. I'm pretty grounded with most of the characters in this game, actually. Other than launching people to combo when I'm surrounded on the floor. But I've never been a pro at these games, lol.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
being in the air is key to avoiding damage especially against crowds of mobs on the ground since there's relatively little in the way of projectiles. Nero has a way easier time for it too since he can snatch enemies up to him and then start bouncing them around.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just spent the last three hours in the Void. You'd think I was playing a fighting game lol.
I didn't get very far.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
is that gunslinger RB+Forward+B, RB+Forward+B, hit A, then hit B?

Does Dante have invincibility frames during the slide during the gun stinger?
You don't have to hit the last B but yes and it should have iframes which I'll test eventually. Planning to do gunslinger only and see what I can come up with.

I just spent the last three hours in the Void. You'd think I was playing a fighting game lol.
I didn't get very far.
That's what dmc4 players suffered through all these 11 years and without a proper training stage.