• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first playthrough. I wish every boss was as challenging as the final two fights in this game. Hopefully on Son of Sparda they will be.

Nero <3

The story gets really weird after such a promising start, I don't know what Itsuno smoke when he thought people would cry at the end. I'll still take any bullshit that gives me such a cool ass fight, so it's fine, but DMC3 still has the best story by a mile.

Can't wait to start Son of Sparda tomorrow.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did the easter egg you can do in mission 1.

Take out Urizen instead of dying to him

So good lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Story spoilers I guess [end game]

so what's the deal? Vergil split his demon and human side in two to use V as a distraction while demon boy went to eat an apple. But the twist is V was meant to then reclaim the demon , now more powerful because he ate the fruit?

So why are Dante and Vergil chums after he tried to become demon lord of all? What am I missing?

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
V is pretty straightforward. I don't understand the confusion around him.

Cat has a stinger, a launcher, two ways to juggle, an aoe that launches and juggles, three different combos, and a long piercing attack.

Bird has a stinger that launches and three different aoe attacks.

He's not complicated but there's enough to work with that just mashing is of course going to make him feel frustrating because you are underutilizing him

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Loving it

I'm not really clear on how to beat secret mission 7, though, the one with the scissor witch. I clearly need to parry her or something, which will open her up to the one shot kill, but I'm clueless.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Finished it today, just under 12h, man I'm old, compared to teenage me blasting through DMC4 back in 2008 with S rank on almost all the missions, I used up like 3 gold orbs in the last couple of fights...Gonna play through it a couple of times on higher difficulties.

It's a nice conclusion to Dante's story, with a nice opening for a return in upcoming sequels (there's no way Capcom is not gonna bank on this further).

Oct 26, 2017
Finished my first playthrough. I wish every boss was as challenging as the final two fights in this game. Hopefully on Son of Sparda they will be.

Nero <3

The story gets really weird after such a promising start, I don't know what Itsuno smoke when he thought people would cry at the end. I'll still take any bullshit that gives me such a cool ass fight, so it's fine, but DMC3 still has the best story by a mile.

Can't wait to start Son of Sparda tomorrow.
Yea it goes full anime in mission 20 for some reason, the theme song/emotional weight comes from fuckin nowhere. The dialogue in the fight is sick as hell tho.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
V is pretty straightforward. I don't understand the confusion around him.

Cat has a stinger, a launcher, two ways to juggle, an aoe that launches and juggles, three different combos, and a long piercing attack.

Bird has a stinger that launches and three different aoe attacks.

He's not complicated but there's enough to work with that just mashing is of course going to make him feel frustrating because you are underutilizing him

realising that there's attacks with delays because while they're in startup you're meant to be inputting other commands was a godsend. I use the Round Robin and Spike so much now

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
OK so I got a scene where
Lady and Trish get a job from Morrison while they wait for Dante and another where Dante and Vergil fight and say Jackpot.
I didn't kill enough demons with Nero but I think I did with Dante. Did I get the secret scene?

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
This has to be one of the least replay friendly games ever. If you want to repeat a mission it's basically Main menu->mission select-->loading screen-->cutscene-->loading screen-->mission menu-->loading screen-->mission start.

And if you wanna customize it's another two loading screens.

If you fuckup during a mission and want to retart it's Pause--->retry mission-->loading screen-->cutscene-->loading screen-->mission menu-->loading screen-->mission start.

Like, who the fuck at Capcom thought this was good design?

This really is the biggest flaw of the game.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I finished my first playthrough on Saturday and haven't had the time to play much since so I'll sum up my thoughts so far...

- The campaign, unlike DMC4, feels more or less like a complete package. It doesn't feel like content was cut, or that there was padding added.

- On a technical side, the graphics are stellar. Character models look insane but the environments themselves often lack personality. They're pretty dull, even when compared to DMC3 and 4.

- Way too many long loading screens on PS4. That's my biggest complaint, honestly.

- Devil Hunter is really easy, outside of a few bosses (and even then, they're easy if you aren't stubborn like me and decide to use the gold orbs the game hands out).

- Some aspects of Dante still overwhelm me like in DMC4 but easy of his individual weapons felt a lot more fully-functioned than they did in 4 so I like that you can lower your loadout to 3 swords and 3 guns.

- I personally haven't tried the Faust Hat much. Kind of put off by the red orb usage so I'll have to look into the weapon in The Void.

- Speaking of which, The Void is a great feature. There's still a few things missing in it, like being able to summon multiple enemies at once, but it's good that they added it.

- I love how Nero changes towards the end, but I wish the old charge shot didn't return. Now I'm gonna get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...

- I love how they changed Royal Guard to be more forgiving, while still being very satisfying to use. I loved using it on Vergil.

- SDT miiiight be a bit too OP, and I doubt it'll lead to any cool tech. Not a bad inclusion though. From a narrative standpoint, it was awesome!

- Helter Skelter seems... underwhelming.

- V's gameplay is something I'm a bit mixed about. I still don't know what my button layout should be. Help me out, Dahbomb!

- The music during the final boss is incredible.

- I got more invested in the story than I thought I would. It's not all well executed, but there's some strong moments, no doubt.

- Itsuno's got some answering to do in regards to Lady and Trish. They don't get any action scenes and are left being literally butt naked for some pathetic fanservice. Lady is bae and she deserves better than some incel-tier shit.

- The special taunts in the shop being 3 million red orbs each is some bullshit. MTX might not have been too big of a deal with this game, but those prices are a clear result of them.

- Finding the Secret Missions is gonna be a pain.

- Balrog is the best new weapon, imo.

So yeah, awesome game. Hopefully I'll get to play it a lot more soon!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
0LaV43U.gif

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Man I wanted to love this game so much but I'm having such a hard time pushing through. I'm on mission 14 I think? I guess I was hoping it would be more than hallways leading to arenas, but DMC is about the combat, I know.

The characters are top notch though, and the RE engine makes this thing look and play so well.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, can someone explain to my what is the "starring" thing? And sometimes the game ask me to rate another player? I gather someone is playing the other character? But I can't even see them to rate them... is it something obvious that I'm missing?
Just say they're stylish so they get points.

In some instances you can see them, but in others their combat rating is displayed under their name on the left. So you know if they're fighting poorly or well.

To answer your earlier post about the game not being as fun out of the gate as you thought, that's the nature of these games. DMCV in particular is very easy on Devil Hunter. The next difficulty up has more difficult enemies and much improved enemy placement with higher level enemies. The combat also opens up a lot late game, and for Nero in particular, he unlocks major stuff at the very end. Once you have the moves that come late game and the higher difficulties, the game is way better. It's one of those games that's far far better on the second time through. They're meant to be played over and over again. It's not a one and done story type of game. Once you beat it, make sure to give the first few levels a go with the new abilities for Nero and to see how the enemies are, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nero is so goddamn fun in this game, I love his mobility (and I still keep forgetting to use his triple jump).

Whoever decided you could get max act on his air taunt is a god.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my 1st playthrough of the game and had an absolute blast. The way DMC5 is structured too is that it feels like just the beginning with the game asking me to immediately begin another playthrough. So, sooo much fun!

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Story spoilers I guess [end game]

so what's the deal? Vergil split his demon and human side in two to use V as a distraction while demon boy went to eat an apple. But the twist is V was meant to then reclaim the demon , now more powerful because he ate the fruit?

So why are Dante and Vergil chums after he tried to become demon lord of all? What am I missing?
My take on it was that it was the plan all along. He was withering and dying, so he separated himself to get rid of his weakness. The demon part of him would then do what he couldn't while in that weakened state... amass power with human sacrifice to obtain the fruit. Once the fruit was eaten by the demon half, this made him strong enough to overcome the weakness of his human side. So re-merging restored him to his previous, healthy self.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting out, and really struggling to grasp the hang of this thing. Can't seem to get higher than a B , and I end up just mashing buttons since I can't keep all the moves in my head. I keep wanting to play this like Bayonetta and it's throwing me off.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
realising that there's attacks with delays because while they're in startup you're meant to be inputting other commands was a godsend. I use the Round Robin and Spike so much now

Bird should always be laying down lasers and lightning bolts or being an aoe Round Robin trap waiting to happen.

Just tapping the button for his rapid fire attack is an absolute waste.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you do with the weird all 4s tank guys that have a big ass arm coming out of their back and throw the little eyeball bombs? Feel like I'm missing something when I fight them. They have so much health!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
After replaying mission 13 I want Capcom to make a full co-op action DMC game. Throw in some sort of PvP even if it's unbalanced, don't care haha

Oct 26, 2017
My take on it was that it was the plan all along. He was withering and dying, so he separated himself to get rid of his weakness. The demon part of him would then do what he couldn't while in that weakened state... amass power with human sacrifice to obtain the fruit. Once the fruit was eaten by the demon half, this made him strong enough to overcome the weakness of his human side. So re-merging restored him to his previous, healthy self.

but that was the extent of his plan, right? To get healthy and not destroy the world? He just had to cut the tree down once he did?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V is so entertaining

Stuff like this is why Itsuno's team is number one. Amazing.

I did it on mission 8 as well, but it just gives you the same thing, which I was gutted about.

Yeah but it does make sense though. It's the same outcome.

There are a few extra spots that are easier to get to with triple jump as well. Though they can still be gotten in the first run.

Sweet, I'll be on the lookout for higher places in case I missed some.

I'm just starting out, and really struggling to grasp the hang of this thing. Can't seem to get higher than a B , and I end up just mashing buttons since I can't keep all the moves in my head. I keep wanting to play this like Bayonetta and it's throwing me off.

Don't worry about it, just play on.

You have a very limited arsenal in the beginning so it is much harder to style. Once you get more moves it will get much easier and more satisfying.

Crag

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know exactly how to get the "Battle for the Ages" trophy to pop? It's the one for doing mission 19 and 20 with no continues. I didn't get it the first I'm around but when back and cleared both without dying and I still didn't get the trophy