• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His base side-jump is not as efficient as Nero's Table Hopper. Evidently, you have to rely on Trickster to get that level of evasion. I am not thrilled. Between convoluted weapons and abilities that could be easily accessible but are relegated to separate styles, I feel out of touch with Dante. Nero's moveset, to me, invalidates the major justification for style switching. Players shouldn't have to switch styles to do something that can be done with an easier command.

You do know that regular jump has plenty of invincibility frames, right? Dante doesn't need to be in Trickster or equip Balrog (boxer) to dodge.

Regular jump is DMC's universal dodge.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You do know that regular jump has plenty of invincibility frames, right?

Dante doesn't need to be in Trickster or equip Balrog (boxer) to dodge.

It just seems crazy that Dante gets less effective options with the jump button than Nero. Why can't I do a more stylish but still-simple-to-input side dodge instead of just a jump?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I'm only referring to the base functionality of his dodge roll. Dante has an expansive suite of options available to him, all of them more complicated to use than his basic side-dodge. It just bothers me that Dante's base ability of the side-dodge is less effective, because that's the ability I have instinctively used throughout much of the series.
gotcha I feel you. the regular trickster dodge with the circle button works a a dedicated dodge button if that helps.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Well that's Heaven or Hell finished. Took 3 hours I think. I like killing bosses before they can finish their opening line lol.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
gotcha I feel you. the regular trickster dodge with the circle button works a a dedicated dodge button if that helps.
Yeah, in bosses I can get into the rhythm of switching between Sword Master and Trickster, but when surrounded by enemies, I'd rather be using some Sword Master moves, which is why I'd be relying on the base dodge mechanics.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Damn Mission 17 on DH took me a few tries. Then I realized enemy step on his face let me dodge almost everything. Cake.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I don't have a gaming PC so I can't wait for next gen consoles or an SE version with less/shorter loading screens. It makes zero sense that retrying a mission forces you to load the mission intro cutscene and then loads you to the mission start/customize screen. So annoying.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Also just found out that you don't need to get an S rank in all one difficulty to get the S rank trophy, so you can get S ranks on some missions on one difficulty and some on the others to get it, which is interesting.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think that Capcom will add the option to play through the entire campaign as any of the characters? Playing as V feels like punishment at this point.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems crazy that Dante gets less effective options with the jump button than Nero. Why can't I do a more stylish but still-simple-to-input side dodge instead of just a jump?

Because they are different characters and play by different rules, that's what makes them distinct and awesome in their own way.

And really, most of the time the regular jump is all you need to get out of a sticky situation.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with playing as Dante is that he;s almost too good. I love Nero but he just can;t compare to my sick sexy stylin' boi.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think that Capcom will add the option to play through the entire campaign as any of the characters? Playing as V feels like punishment at this point.

There are a couple levels that seem to need Nero (the ones in the city with the grapple points, and Gilgamesh) but mods should be adding the feature on PC sometime soon. Bloody Palace should alleviate the need to play as V at all once you're done with the main story.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's Heaven or Hell finished. Took 3 hours I think. I like killing bosses before they can finish their opening line lol.

Is Hell&Hell SOS level health or DMD level health for enemies? It's probably doable in SOS but you spend, like, literal minutes hacking away at people in DMD and it's not a great way to spend my time if that's how Hell & Hell goes

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Is this the easiest DMC game? I've played them all over the years but I'm a super casual player and I'm finding myself sailing through this on Normal/Devil Hunter difficulty. Not complaining (I'm after a breezy time), just curious. I remember struggling waaaay more with like DMC3 on Normal. I think dMc was pretty easy too, right?

I guess the sheer number of accessibility options helps, like letting you buy more health/revives and not making you start the whole mission again.

Yeah I would say so, Capcom definitely designed Devil Hunter difficulty and the revive mechanics so that anyone can really run through it without much trouble. Hell, once you beat mission 2, Dante gets something that is game breaking for that difficulty. I literally didn't have to actually learn how to fight any bosses after that aside from Dante's final boss.

Thanks to it, I don't really know how to use Dante efficiently in my SoS run, although that particular move is still bonkers in SoS.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Is Hell&Hell SOS level health or DMD level health for enemies? It's probably doable in SOS but you spend, like, literal minutes hacking away at people in DMD and it's not a great way to spend my time if that's how Hell & Hell goes
I think it's meant to be SOS, but I'm about to check now, DMD level seems like it would be overkill.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
You do know that regular jump has plenty of invincibility frames, right? Dante doesn't need to be in Trickster or equip Balrog (boxer) to dodge.

While effective, jumping to avoid attacks always feels kinda clunky/goofy to me and not stylish at all.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While effective, jumping to avoid attacks always feels kinda clunky/goofy to me and not stylish at all.

Not at all, it's actually great because it lets you start attacking immediately from the air after the first portion of the jump avoids the enemy's attack. So there is no break in the action like with a regular dodge like in most games.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Vergil looks so good with his EX colours. I would love a remake of 3 in this engine.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How doable is H&H difficulty in this? Never attempted a DMC on anything above normal.
It's basically SoS mode but everything kills you in one hit. Just beating it is just a war of attrition thanks to the revival system. Getting all S ranks (which is required for and achievement/trophy) is incredibly difficult though.

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuckin christttttt Cavaliere DMD is insane, got him first try, but holy shittttttttttttttt. Like fuck that was some creedo ass upgrade

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuckin christttttt Cavaliere DMD is insane, got him first try, but holy shittttttttttttttt. Like fuck that was some creedo ass upgrade

gonna try another run tonight. I crushed him on SOS before work today, so I'm hoping with my now-developed RoyalGuard skills I should be able to tough him out today

Oct 26, 2017
gonna try another run tonight. I crushed him on SOS before work today, so I'm hoping with my now-developed RoyalGuard skills I should be able to tough him out today
What a savage, i'm glad i fought him loads on DH/SoS cause jesusssss.
He teleported away, then just straight up blocked my missile barrage and teleported on my face.

I never used royal guard on him, just parry everything. Only bosses i RG on are 17/19.

Dantes missions are already way harder, feels like they actually balanced the game around him this time.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
jE71Ilj.gif

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
What a savage, i'm glad i fought him loads on DH/SoS cause jesusssss.
He teleported away, then just straight up blocked my missile barrage and teleported on my face.

I never used royal guard on him, just parry everything. Only bosses i RG on are 17/19.

Dantes missions are already way harder, feels like they actually balanced the game around him this time.

i'm bad at weapon parries lol. just godawful, only good with the flurry weapons like balrog or king cerberus

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
And in this she's introduced naked and almost dead. I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough.

I wouldn't have... well, minded is strong, but it could have been made up for if her and trish got a few chances to show off their stuff.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Lady's characterisation even apart from not getting good action scenes in this one. At least Trish gets to talk a bit...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit I got a C on Mission 18. It's not even that it was hard, I just couldn't keep my style meter high.