• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny how Dante straight up knows who Urizen (at least) is like from the very beginning of the game but doesn't bother telling anyway. I'm watching someone go through the Voltaic Fight right now and Dante's pretty much dropping hints the entire level

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Oqtk6U9.gif
Looks unbelievable.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I really wanted Nocturne Dante to be canon where Dante went after DMC2.

But now we have Dante who eats Strawberry Sundae who suffered from depression until he met Nero.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Getting hit after maintaining a high style rank and losing it is like getting kicked in the balls.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I realised I hadn't heard devil trigger in a while playing as Nero so maybe I am also experiencing the glitch? Setting it on and off again seemed to work when trying a secret mission in the main menu.

Also is this a bug? I gain less orbs at the main menu than I gained during and at the end of a secret mission accessed through the main menu. At first I thought you just couldn't earn orbs from secret missions but I still gained some trying it again.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Selina what the flying fuck did you do to deal with these scissor mob leaders in mission 10? My hands are killing cause its like TRICKSTAR, GUNSLINGER, TRICKSTAR GUNSLINGER just to survive the onslaught of the mob
Yeah it's quite the pain lol. I used Balrog mainly, because of it's speed and power and built up my DT as much as possible. I'm just happy to be done with that mode. HoH is quite cathartic after it, I'm already half-way through the game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Can't lie. I felt my interest waning. Pacing is an issue.

But then missions 11 and 12 brought me back. Dante is kind of eclipsing Nero and V for me at this point. If you can't replay the game with your choice of character that's a huge mistake.

Oct 29, 2017
I realised I hadn't heard devil trigger in a while playing as Nero so maybe I am also experiencing the glitch? Setting it on and off again seemed to work when trying a secret mission in the main menu.

Also is this a bug? I gain less orbs at the main menu than I gained during and at the end of a secret mission accessed through the main menu. At first I thought you just couldn't earn orbs from secret missions but I still gained some trying it again.

Yea the bugs still there. In the main menu, go to the jukebox and make sure to select eachtheme to its corresponding character

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Royal Release timing is a bitch but it makes short work of the furies on SoS

I bought the deluxe edition, is there any way to play the final boss Devil Trigger Remix as Nero's battle theme?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I spent so long trying not to die during Mission 19 that I didn't do enough cool shit to get an S rank. At least I know my way around the fight now so hopefully it shouldn't take too many more attempts.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the lady and trish pizza scene and I let my girlfriend play the Nero section of the credits and she's never touched DMC
😏

If you didn't see it, were you even trying?
😏

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is this the easiest DMC game? I've played them all over the years but I'm a super casual player and I'm finding myself sailing through this on Normal/Devil Hunter difficulty. Not complaining (I'm after a breezy time), just curious. I remember struggling waaaay more with like DMC3 on Normal. I think dMc was pretty easy too, right?

I guess the sheer number of accessibility options helps, like letting you buy more health/revives and not making you start the whole mission again.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Is this the easiest DMC game? I've played them all over the years but I'm a super casual player and I'm finding myself sailing through this on Normal/Devil Hunter difficulty. Not complaining (I'm after a breezy time), just curious. I remember struggling waaaay more with like DMC3 on Normal. I think dMc was pretty easy too, right?

I guess the sheer number of accessibility options helps, like letting you buy more health/revives and not making you start the whole mission again.
Devil Hunter is pretty easy, more a tutorial than anything. SOS is the real game.

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed in the credits that the Enviromental Art Lead was Shinji Mikami- I don't know if it's /THAT/ Shinji Mikami but you can blame A shinji mikami for the second half being nuthin but blobs
Devil Hunter is pretty easy, more a tutorial than anything. SOS is the real game.
Until mission 19 where it ramps through the fucking roof
So, wait. Dr. Faust is made out of one of these guys?
[image of a fucking asshole]
That's pretty fucking cool. Shame we can't fight them in the game though.
A shame? Are you serious? lmao. I consider those assholes the absolute worst enemy design in dmc. I am so fucking glad there was no phasing through the wall, press snatch 5 times to steal the cape, then demolish floaters in this game. The design was completely braindead. The scissor guys are so much better

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Oct 25, 2017
Hell Scissors are just as annoying.
Hell Scissors dont phase through walls as much (at all?) Hell Scissors also don't have an effective strategy that amounts to stand around and mash shoot or mash buster, either. you can parry them, guard break them, whatever. It was a completely garbage gameplay design for an enemy. Next thing someone is going to say they miss the stupid vines/lizard combo enemy from dmc4

Oct 25, 2017
Aaah, finished SoS today. Took off 40% of the Mission 19 boss' health bar with one Royal Release lmao. Royal Guard is so fucking broken against certain enemies.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Question - Does Dante not get the ability to side-dodge/roll after attacks like Nero does? I feel like I'm a sitting duck with Dante after every attack, when I can easily just quickly weave around as Nero.

I also wish they'd just bundle every DMC3 weapon into a DLC. I want Beowulf back; it was straight forward and I like it. I like back+triangle being an uppercut, not some bizarre shift from one attack style to another. When I want to change the functionality of the attack key, I change weapons. Give me Beowulf, Agni and Rudra, and Nevan, Capcom, pls.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Question - Does Dante not get the ability to side-dodge/roll after attacks like Nero does? I feel like I'm a sitting duck with Dante when I can easily just quickly weave around as Nero.

I also wish they'd just bundle every DMC3 weapon into a DLC. I want Beowulf back; it was straight forward and I like it. I like back+triangle being an uppercut, not some bizarre shift from one attack style to another. When I want to change the functionality of the attack key, I change weapons. Give me Beowulf, Agni and Rudra, and Nevan, Capcom, pls.

Dante doesn't get Table Hopper, no. You'll want to learn how to switch to Trickster for flash dodges like that.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dante doesn't get Table Hopper, no. You'll want to learn how to switch to Trickster for flash dodges like that.
Ugh. This is bonkers to me. I have hated the style switching mechanics since DMC4, and I genuinely hoped they were going to elevate Dante's abilities to that of Nero and return the functionality that was stripped in 4 from 3 like the badass wall running.

Why can't Dante weave after attacks without having to switch to a separate style?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. This is bonkers to me. I have hated the style switching mechanics since DMC4, and I genuinely hoped they were going to elevate Dante's abilities to that of Nero and return the functionality that was stripped in 4 from 3 like the badass wall running.

If it helps, the style switch is WAY faster in 5 than it was in 4. I was terrible at it in 4, absolutely TERRIBLE, and I'm actually half decent with Dante in 5.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent some time after work learning the mission 19 boss on DH and got him down decently well, beat him a few times in a row no problem.

Balrog works great for general use but the biggest asset for me after the half way point has been the Kalina Ann, it works extremely well on him during the second phase when he starts entering you know what. Like really, really well.

Haven't reached this boss in SOS yet but hopefully Kalina Ann still works.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
He has it by default, no?
His base side-jump is not as efficient as Nero's Table Hopper. Evidently, you have to rely on Trickster to get that level of evasion. I am not thrilled. Between convoluted weapons and abilities that could be easily accessible but are relegated to separate styles, I feel out of touch with Dante. Nero's moveset, to me, invalidates the major justification for style switching. Players shouldn't have to switch styles to do something that can be done with an easier command.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
His base side-jump is not as efficient as Nero's Table Hopper. Evidently, you have to rely on Trickster to get that level of evasion. I am not thrilled. Between convoluted weapons and abilities that could be easily accessible but are relegated to separate styles, I feel out of touch with Dante. Nero's moveset, to me, invalidates the major justification for style switching. Players shouldn't have to switch styles to do something that can be done with an easier command.

Dante can still dodge roll. He just can't DASH out of the roll like Nero can.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I guess I'm a bit confused. Dante has base side rolls and trickster dodges. and the shotgun evasion moves. I didn't have any trouble dodging with him. Are you solely referring to table hopper?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
dante bosses seem nicely designed to give him breathing room to switch stances actually which is kind of interesting

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dante can still dodge roll. He just can't DASH out of the roll like Nero can.
I guess I'm a bit confused. Dante has base side rolls and trickster dodges. and the shotgun evasion moves. I didn't have any trouble dodging with him. Are you solely referring to table hopper?
I'm only referring to the base functionality of his dodge roll. Dante has an expansive suite of options available to him, all of them more complicated to use than his basic side-dodge. It just bothers me that Dante's base ability of the side-dodge is less effective, because that's the ability I have instinctively used throughout much of the series.