• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The least they could do is implement a feature that skips the pre and post-mission cutscenes on a replay after you beat the game. It sucks so much to have to load for 20 seconds just to get into a cutscene you skip and then get kicked right back into another 20-second load just to get the menu back, only to then load AGAIN to get into the level itself. Christ.

the loading is really shit on console...

loading, mission starts, cutscene, loading, mission start screen, loadout loading, loading back the menu, loadscreen, start of mission...real flow is non existent in this game, at least on console. it is basically the opposite of this games combat...

the problem is not even an SSD helps much on console, loadtimes are still not faster

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
the loading is really shit on console...

loading, mission starts, cutscene, loading, mission start screen, loadout loading, loading back the menu, loadscreen, start of mission...real flow is non existent in this game, at least on console. it is basically the opposite of this games combat...

the problem is not even an SSD helps much on console, loadtimes are still not faster

Exactly. It's really, really poor structural design, which is incredibly frustrating for a game that's so focused on action. Just let me play, damn it.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the key to avoiding damage here?
He is playing on Dante Must Die with all Nero skills unlocked. So if you haven't beaten the game he has tools at his disposal that you won't have.

He is using stuff like Air Taunt, Nero's new jump ability post game and Devil Trigger activations for their i-frames to avoid damage in the air. And just general good mechanics skill and control of the character.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just started the game and I remember the thread containing the poll which character you want to paly as the most, so I thought I could decide which character I played as, but I started with Nero?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
He is playing on Dante Must Die with all Nero skills unlocked. So if you haven't beaten the game he has tools at his disposal that you won't have.

He is using stuff like Air Taunt, Nero's new jump ability post game and Devil Trigger activations for their i-frames to avoid damage in the air. And just general good mechanics skill and control of the character.

OK, thanks.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like I gotta put in more hours in the void to learn Dante but I'm honestly lost on where to even start - on SoS difficulty on Mission 12 so I have nearly all his moves.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about certain missions, maybe someone can help me out:

So at mission 14, you are given the option to play V, Nero or Dante. I chose V, because he is an all around fun character. In this mission you go through 3 battle rooms and are fighting alongside Dante and Nero. At the end of the mission, it shows V and he says something while barely being able to stand. My question is: If I were to choose Dante or Nero, would that scene have changed?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I have a question about certain missions, maybe someone can help me out:

So at mission 14, you are given the option to play V, Nero or Dante. I chose V, because he is an all around fun character. In this mission you go through 3 battle rooms and are fighting alongside Dante and Nero. At the end of the mission, it shows V and he says something while barely being able to stand. My question is: If I were to choose Dante or Nero, would that scene have changed?
Nah, it doesn't matter who you choose, it doesn't change anything in the story.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Dante is complex as hell but everything he has is so great that even while experimenting I was getting SSS ranks on DH. There's no better feeling than trying out a new area of his toolset and immediately seeing the value it has.

His fists especially just feel like a bottomless chasm of great moves. Every single move in that weapon feels amazing. Figuring it out over the course of his first two missions was an absolute joy, and by the time Cavalier rolled around I felt like a badass taking her on with punches and kicks.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Dante is complex as hell but everything he has is so great that even while experimenting I was getting SSS ranks on DH. There's no better feeling than trying out a new area of his toolset and immediately seeing the value it has.

His fists especially just feel like a bottomless chasm of great moves. Every single move in that weapon feels amazing. Figuring it out over the course of his first two missions was an absolute joy, and by the time Cavalier rolled around I felt like a badass taking her on with punches and kicks.
Yeah, I have to say that every single one of Dante's weapons is straight up more fun than his equivalent DMC4 kit, and it makes an ENORMOUS difference in terms of how much I enjoy the character.

Balrog is probably my favorite one of Dante's gauntlet-and-greaves weapons... ever? It's definitely more fun than his version of Beowulf and Gilgamesh (I really love Vergil's DMC3SE/4SE Beowulf movesets though). Ifrit is still great stuff of course.

SigmaCloud

May 8, 2018
I'm trying to S rank all missions on DH before moving on to SOS and for some reason mission 10 has been the hardest to reach the threshold. You really gotta be on top of your shit to get an S there.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I gotta put in more hours in the void to learn Dante but I'm honestly lost on where to even start - on SoS difficulty on Mission 12 so I have nearly all his moves.

Just take it easy and stick to one or two things at a time.

The two good styles to go for first are Sword Master (for general combat and styling) and Trickster (for evasion and mobility, especially good for avoiding damage from bosses).

Same with weapons, pick one or two that you like and just concentrate on them.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I still have a soft spot for Beowulf in terms of best gauntlets in the series. Balrog's cool but Beowulf was my jam. Gilgamesh had its moments but was otherwise really underwhelming. Special shout out to Ifrit too, it will always have a special place in my heart.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bloody Palace preview!

Has better are design than the main game lol!

Parrying them is essential. With Dante use Balrog punch flurry to parru then hit him with Real Impact.

GwyndolinCinder You can hit enemies with Vs cane and it does serious damage! You can even jump cancel it!

When is bloody palace launching? Did we ever found out what the other dlc placeholders are in steam?

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On mission 14 and the bosses aside from mission 2 and 11 have been ass. Mission 11 is so good though. Here's hoping they get a little better.

Enjoying the enemy encounters much more than any other DMC game though

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this game is sooo good to play but the environments are so disappointing. after the first boss basically the entire game takes place inside a randomly generated dungeon from Baroque for the wii

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018

HQ version:

X8Wu2Tl.gif

Finally got the game after it being delayed in delivery. :)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Nero's personality. It's hilarious that he's the one with the most stable life outside of demon hunting.

Oct 27, 2017
My brief review after finishing my first run: fantastic.
Story + presentation took a huge leap after the FF corniness in 4 and the failed attempt at being cool in DmC.
The char tracks are stellar, rest of the OST is not as good as let's say Bayonetta 1+2. I love the whole cast.
Combat is goat.

My only complaint, which I bet has been brought up 1m times: lack of diversity regarding settings.
But I'm ok with this, I wish the DMC franchise was treated more like a fighting game where they add a good amount of content chars/weapons down the line for Bloody Palace and additional new combat only modes and the story/campaign being just the appetizer.

Question to the Americans on Era: is Nico supposed to be a jewish woman trying to imitate the way a black american woman from one of the Southern states would speak casually? I'm European, so I have no clue, but it sounds familiar to me.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My brief review after finishing my first run: fantastic.
Story + presentation took a huge leap after the FF corniness in 4 and the failed attempt at being cool in DmC.
The char tracks are stellar, rest of the OST is not as good as let's say Bayonetta 1+2. I love the whole cast.
Combat is goat.

My only complaint, which I bet has been brought up 1m times: lack of diversity regarding settings.
But I'm ok with this, I wish the DMC franchise was treated more like a fighting game where they add a good amount of content chars/weapons down the line for Bloody Palace and additional new combat only modes and the story/campaign being just the appetizer.

Question to the Americans on Era: is Nico supposed to be a jewish woman trying to imitate the way a black american woman from one of the Southern states would speak casually? I'm European, so I have no clue, but it sounds familiar to me.
Nah, she's just a southern white lady.

Crazy thing is to me she looks like a tanned Latina.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, so yeah. Booted the game up a third time to try and beat
Vergil
on SOS difficulty without using a gold orb or red orbs after losing. Exact same result as the first 2 sessions.

Wooo I did it :D

That feeling when you slowly figure out how to do it proper while constantly switching between royal guard and swordmaster, while cycling through weapons, and then getting SS and SSS ranks

VAcOeGv.gif

Jan 2, 2018
Good people,I need help with mission 19:
Seriously guys...how the FUCK do I beat Vergil's double or whatever it is?! I can literally not getting hit even once by Vergil during all the fight but when he brings that fucker close to the end He's just destroying me..I literally spent the last 2 hours trying to beat the guy.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
So I finished the game. I didn't like the level design, some of the repeated fights and the inability to play as Trish & Lady but everything else is awesome. Graphics, combat, length, bombast, etc.

For the next outing, they should improve the level design (take some inspiration from all of the DMC games. I mean, RE7 & RER2 showed us how much RE engine can display in terms of different settings), allow for more playable characters and go with a new story and a new setting.

I would have given it an 8/10 but it too good for that as a complete package, so 9/10 it is

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game. I didn't like the level design, some of the repeated fights and the inability to play as Trish & Lady but everything else is awesome. Graphics, combat, length, bombast, etc.

For the next outing, they should improve the level design (take some inspiration from all of the DMC games. I mean, RE7 & RER2 showed us how much RE engine can display in terms of different settings), allow for more playable characters and go with a new story and a new setting.

I would have given it an 8/10 but it too good for that as a complete package, so 9/10 it is
You should try it out in Son of Sparda and check out Nero's new tools in it. Especially try Buster arming bosses/enemies that you never got the chance to do so before.

SoS is IMO where DMC5 is at its funnest.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
10/10 plat difficulty, Finish the game on tier 6 diffuclty without being hit and no checkpoints. NO THANKS!

Hell and Hell usually isn't that bad, it gives you three revives so you can technically get hit 4 times or so. But this is post DMD, and it's locked to SoS mode which feels like taking a huge weight off your shoulders.

S ranking everything on every difficulty is going to be the main blockade trophy. That was such a pain in the ass in DMC4, I think i gave up on that shitty Dante jungle level or one of the savior boss fights. Bleh.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
You should try it out in Son of Sparda and check out Nero's new tools in it. Especially try Buster arming bosses/enemies that you never got the chance to do so before.

SoS is IMO where DMC5 is at its funnest.

I will. The game is staying installed on my PC for a long time to come. I finished with the replays of RE2R and this is my next game. I will have to slot it with Sekiro. Hope that game delivers as well.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm trying to S rank all missions on DH before moving on to SOS and for some reason mission 10 has been the hardest to reach the threshold. You really gotta be on top of your shit to get an S there.

Mission 10 and, in my opinion, Mission 8, are fucked in terms of style balance on DH. I just got through Missions 8 and 10 (and 9 ofc) on SoS and S Ranked them no problem on my first times through. I imagine S ranking on Human mode for some missions will be even harder.