• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
God the second to last boss fight is kicking my ass. I can only get the boss down to half strength before I'm clobbered. No orbs and yellow 1 orb

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Hell Antenora (Dual Axe wielding demon) and Hell Judecca (Dual.....scythe? wielding teleporting demon) are some of the most annoying enemies ever put in the game IMO. They're actually so bad that I don't believe I totally understand how to approach them - I've never actually seen an enemy this annoying in an Itsuno game since.....well......ever.

The thing about Antenora is that he will always go berserk after a knock back. He is pretty free to air combos.

Judecca though... yeah, I don't have a good plan for that one yet

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
You could but it majorly gimps your rank. I'll be honest, it's how I made it through DMD the first time when I was playing the game for review two weeks ago.

I'm really really trying to rank better this time through and blergh it's hard.

Red Orbs at least don't give you the .9 point penalty that the Golden ones do. You just don't get the 1.2 bonus for not continuing.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
So out of curiosity, I played a bit of 4 Dante to compare and contrast, and my god Royal Guard is stupid hard compared to 5. Parrying in 4 feels like it requires you to be almost frame perfect

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I seriously don't know how you guys are reliably dodging this boss' attacks.

Urizen standing battle. Points at you and blue tipped tentacles fire at you. I can't for the life of me work out how to dodge them reliably. Trickster kind of works, but in DMD they're so aggressive it is never a surefire evasion. Royal Guard should have worked, but they seem to hit multiple times so it breaks things down super quickly and then you take damage. Ice Age doesn't seem to work either, neither does Windmill.

welp

I had to red orb revive and got an A. Will return to it later, but at least it's behind me now, lol.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Getting S rank on mission 10 at human difficulty is a bitch. Seems like you can't screw up as much as any other mission.

You could have told me that the last couple of missions are procedurally generated and I'd believe you, they don't look carefully handcrafted or interesting to me, just very bland and empty.

I had exactly the same thought to be honest.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Finished the game twice now, and I adore it but I have two complaints.

1. I'm sure tons of people have mentioned it but the environments are so so so bland. The game looks incredible, plays incredible, and is so slick from every aspect except for it's environment design. It's really odd just how samey everything is. The only levels that stand out to me are the first few being set around the city. Would have helped dramatically to have maybe at least one forested area or somewhere that just isn't concrete or "demon stuff".

2. I really really don't like playing as V. Conceptually he is really cool and I like his personality and style, but unless I'm fundamentally missing an aspect of how I should be playing him, I think he's way too imprecise for a game that relies on being precision based.

Griffon isn't strong enough to rely on, despite being the more precise character in his arsenal. Shadow seems like he's meant to be his "main" use character, but I constantly run into an issue where he just isn't in the right position. He's always either attacking out of reach of an enemy, looking the wrong direction, doesn't respond to my button presses, etc. So it makes me not want to use him. But if I don't, encounters take way too long to complete. Also getting S ranks with him is entirely too easy. You just stand back, mash triangle and square and hit L1 when your meter is full and you basically finish every encounter with at least an S rank.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't get over how good this game feels to play.

Like, DMC4 feels great to play, Nero and Dante are so much fun but then 5 comes and just blows it away. Only thing I miss really is Agni and Rudra from 3. Would've been great to have them here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I finished DMC4SE on Saturday and then started 5 on Sunday. What a fucking jump between the two. I know it's 11 years, and not just one console to the next, but even still. I love how modernized a lot of the basic aesthetic stuff, like the camera angle or HUD, feels.

For those who have finished or nearly finished -- how many hours + missions does the game run?

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I finished DMC4SE on Saturday and then started 5 on Sunday. What a fucking jump between the two. I know it's 11 years, and not just one console to the next, but even still. I love how modernized a lot of the basic aesthetic stuff, like the camera angle or HUD, feels.

For those who have finished or nearly finished -- how many hours + missions does the game run?
14 hours more or less and
missions

Oct 26, 2017
It's even more impressive seeing the full video!

Damn even using the invulnerable frames to avoid the screams!
Yea the scream really keeps you on your toes the whole fight. Lots of clutch moments when you forgot about it for more than a second.

Honestly the design of this fight is incredible, i wonder if air taunt+punchline came first or this boss did?

I wonder how fast ya'll would see the light on V, if you had to fight a fury in DH early on. Parrying with V, combing with the pets, and finishing with V is awesome

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Bloody Palace preview!

Has better are design than the main game lol!

How do you stylishly kill a Fury so that it doe11sn't take forever?
Parrying them is essential. With Dante use Balrog punch flurry to parru then hit him with Real Impact.

GwyndolinCinder You can hit enemies with Vs cane and it does serious damage! You can even jump cancel it!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fought the mission 19 boss for a few min before leaving for work to try to figure him out a little better.

The final phase when the doppelganger kicks in is such a kick in the nuts

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
After many hours of play, I do not care for all the ambient music. I'd rather just have the same battle track play over and over.

Oct 27, 2017

On Devil Hunter, it took me about 11-12 hours for 20 missions.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So out of curiosity, I played a bit of 4 Dante to compare and contrast, and my god Royal Guard is stupid hard compared to 5. Parrying in 4 feels like it requires you to be almost frame perfect

Parrying in 5 is more forgiving also because even if you screw up the parry timing and just blocked, you won't lose health you'll just lose DT gauge.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game, great experience. I wish it was longer as i am not a fan of multiple runs..

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
lol I made the mistake of picking the Easy option and I'm stuck with it. Will have to replay at a Harder diff after it's completed because I'm already 9hrs in

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
omg my dualshock battery died just as a boss charged at me and I died, I would be more mad if I weren't enjoying the fight lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried the demo....

and the full game is installing now!

As a first time DMC player (and one who disliked DmC Defenitive Edition), which difficulty would be the best to start with?
Start on Devil Hunter, but don't be afraid to switch to Human if you're having trouble by mission 2 or so, since the game won't allow you to switch on the fly, and you'll have to start over.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

As a first time DMC player (and one who disliked DmC Defenitive Edition), which difficulty would be the best to start with?
Honestly starting on human (easy) is a bad idea for anyone. There will definitely be some people who should play it, but the intention is to play on Devil Hunter (medium) and after that move into the harder difficulties with your expanded moveset and knowledge.

The game can be trivialised if you just use some items, so no need to worry there. I'd only restart on human if DH really immediately feels like it's too much.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Don't really have much of an option at the start- It's either Human (easy) or Devil Hunter (normal).

The default difficulty should be fine for most people, the game has a good curve. Don't worry about trying to get a high score- focus on learning how to use each character first, don't be afraid to practice in the training room if you want.

DMC5 is like a fighting game but for PVE.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Probably the regular/harder of the two difficulties. It's not a super easy game, so if you havent played many action games you might struggle in places, but its significantly easier than past games in the (main) franchise.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying this on son of Sparda this week starting tomorrow.

I loved Maximillians review. This game is what makes videogames so amazing. It's a gamey ass game and I love it!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all.

The load screens. Why do there need to be so many load screens before and after every level? Just kick me back to the menu, please.

Please tell me they're planning to optimize this more in patches. It's driving me insane.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all.

The load screens. Why do there need to be so many load screens before and after every level? Just kick me back to the menu, please.

Please tell me they're planning to optimize this more in patches. It's driving me insane.
PC SSD loads are almost instant. So probably not going to be patched if it's a hardware limitation.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't gonna bother posting this, cause I am perfectionist and there are things that I could of done better in this run (mainly issues with targeting), but lul its no damage/SSS atleast. Obviously spoilers for the second boss on DMD.

Hope this can give you some ideas Kard8p3

Haha thanks, shes everything I wanted from Nier:A, but didnt get ):

Jebus. I knew you were godlike from your Nioh videos, but that is cray-cray levels of impressive.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
PC SSD loads are almost instant. So probably not going to be patched if it's a hardware limitation.

The least they could do is implement a feature that skips the pre and post-mission cutscenes on a replay after you beat the game. It sucks so much to have to load for 20 seconds just to get into a cutscene you skip and then get kicked right back into another 20-second load just to get the menu back, only to then load AGAIN to get into the level itself. Christ.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Just beat it. That was some of the most just pure fun I've had in a game in some time.

My only two complaints were the story (it was very disjointed and poorly told, IMO), and the level design (they could have done a lot more than the blandness we were given).

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Parrying in 5 is more forgiving also because even if you screw up the parry timing and just blocked, you won't lose health you'll just lose DT gauge.

That's part of it, but the parry window feels larger too.

In DMC4 it feels like you need to parry just as the enemy touches you but before you take damage.
In DMC5, you just have to guard the moment before the enemy hits you.

Woof. DMCV was quite an experience and I feel like I need a lot of time to process my mental journey from the game. I was replaying DMC1-4 before DMCV dropped but didn't get to finish 3 (or start 4) in time.

Went back to finish those up and I'm noticing a lot more details that they included in DMCV and it's like. Damn. That's a lot of thought in DMCV.