• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Playing as Dante with the DMC1 battle tracks is so good. Using the Nelo Angelo battle music right now, fits the game really well.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
10 is the hardest to S Rank on DH for some reason. It seems like the only real strategy is don't get hit and get SSS combos ASAP during encounters. I found that using moves that build up style really quick, like Dance Macabre, helped a lot.]

It's funny, I did the mission on Human yesterday as part of my Human S rank run and it was far easier to S rank despite enemies dying quicker lol. It helps the threshold on Human is lower but it's still super easy. DH is just weird.

What I've found REALLY helps across the board for missions where it's tight is to get S+ ASAP and then use Gunslinger E&I abilities to maintain it. The weapon's weak enough that even on Human you're not killing anything too quick and it seems like each bullet contributes to your style rank points. I notice as much as a 1000+ point swing when using it to maintain style ranks than when I stick exclusively to Swordmaster.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some may not know this but after beating SOS (and unlocking an ability) you can beat all of Dantes missions without using a single weapon. Theres a trophy attached to beating Mission 11 with nothing equipped too.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I finished this up last night and started a SoS run, and I gotta say, I love that this game has de-emphasized puzzles and platforming challenges. I feel like this entire genre has struggled with getting pacing right. You get all these activities to do between fights that are either annoying on your first playthrough, or tedious on repeat playthroughs (or both, in the worst cases).

But here, you have secrets and red orb caches as pretty much the only activities between combat encounters. Secrets don't need to be recollected after you've gotten them once, and red orb caches are as skippable as you'd like them to be. The result is that it feels well paced the first time around, but without being repetitive on followups, especially since you can just rush to the next fight if you really want to get on with things. I think it's the best structure I've ever seen in the genre.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I finished this up last night and started a SoS run, and I gotta say, I love that this game has de-emphasized puzzles and platforming challenges. I feel like this entire genre has struggled with getting pacing right. You get all these activities to do between fights that are either annoying on your first playthrough, or tedious on repeat playthroughs (or both, in the worst cases).

But here, you have secrets and red orb caches as pretty much the only activities between combat encounters. Secrets don't need to be recollected after you've gotten them once, and red orb caches are as skippable as you'd like them to be. The result is that it feels well paced the first time around, but without being repetitive on followups, especially since you can just rush to the next fight if you really want to get on with things. I think it's the best structure I've ever seen in the genre.

Totally agreed. Especially after DMC4 had so much of that stuff.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017

preach. action genre is action first; all design should enable more action. So far i haven't played a single level that I wouldn't be fine replaying.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
preach. action genre is action first; all design should enable more action. So far i haven't played a single level that I wouldn't be fine replaying.

I think DMC5 is one of the best paced DMC games in years, but I also dread playing Missions 11 and 12 for some reason, having played the game through......nine times now?

(I finished Hell and Hell, and through some overtired fuckery deleted my save and am working my way back to that, would like to have everything done before BP hits)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice on Secret Mission 07? I've never understood what makes these wraith monsters with scissors tick.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, I did the mission on Human yesterday as part of my Human S rank run and it was far easier to S rank despite enemies dying quicker lol. It helps the threshold on Human is lower but it's still super easy. DH is just weird.

What I've found REALLY helps across the board for missions where it's tight is to get S+ ASAP and then use Gunslinger E&I abilities to maintain it. The weapon's weak enough that even on Human you're not killing anything too quick and it seems like each bullet contributes to your style rank points. I notice as much as a 1000+ point swing when using it to maintain style ranks than when I stick exclusively to Swordmaster.
Yeah I make pretty extensive use of Rainstorm during my air combos and it can make your style gauge go up a rank pretty quickly by itself. I jump around styles a lot to keep the decay from setting in.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I think DMC5 is one of the best paced DMC games in years, but I also dread playing Missions 11 and 12 for some reason, having played the game through......nine times now?

(I finished Hell and Hell, and through some overtired fuckery deleted my save and am working my way back to that, would like to have everything done before BP hits)

You're way beyond my plays; i'm on 12 for the first time now, so I'll have to get back to ya on my SoS playthru. Can't see myself not wanting to replay Dante though?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

11 is actually one of my favorites. I dread mission 15. It's so damn dull, although I really like the boss.

Any advice on Secret Mission 07? I've never understood what makes these wraith monsters with scissors tick.
Pop shredder (the default swordmaster move with your sword) to parry it's initial attack. Shoot it while it's in the stun state to kill it and complete the mission.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Is that the one where you need to instakill the sin scissors?
What you need to do is parry their strikes by swinging your sword when they open the scissors. They'll be knocked into a stagger states, after which you can shoot them with the shotgun once to instakill them.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Shatter the scissors (I used Balrog kicks) and then after that's done their faces will glow red. That's the time to strike. You just have to know when to stop attacking so the mission doesn't instafail.

You can parry but if you're tired of trying that this is the easiest way.

When I saw this mission I instantly loathed it, I remember struggling so much with that mission in the first DMC. Thankfully this one is much more straighforward.

You're way beyond my plays; i'm on 12 for the first time now, so I'll have to get back to ya on my SoS playthru. Can't see myself not wanting to replay Dante though?

I don't know what it is, I just don't like the pacing of those levels. Mission 12 especially feels a little bit overlong with how much it throws at you AND THEN a big boss battle on top.

Maybe I'm biased because I am inevitably replaying these missions ad nauseum for an S rank, but these two are the ones I generally don't enjoy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you attack right as they do, Their attack gets cancelled out and they become vulnerable to the one shot kill from ranged weapons
11 is actually one of my favorites. I dread mission 15. It's so damn dull, although I really like the boss.

Pop shredder (the default swordmaster move with your sword) to parry it's initial attack. Shoot it while it's in the stun state to kill it and complete the mission.
When it does the scissor psycho crusher, parry it with your sword and it should stun them (their mask gets a red aura around it), then you can one shot it.
Is that the one where you need to instakill the sin scissors?
What you need to do is parry their strikes by swinging your sword when they open the scissors. They'll be knocked into a stagger states, after which you can shoot them with the shotgun once to instakill them.
Thanks for the many speedy replies, friends. Funnily enough I could've sworn I never even fired my gun after countering but maybe it just went by so fast. Good to know what these things' actual weakness are since I usually just kept wailing at them previously.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Having previously skipped DMC4, I really don't get Exceed. Having to hit and hold down the button several times to charge that doesn't seem worth the damage increase for one hit whatsoever when I could just swing the sword more instead. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong either but it feels imprecise and weird to 'charge' as well.

I've been simply ignoring it for now, it seems to do fuck all for the investment but I'm assuming that I'm obviously missing some application here?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Having previously skipped DMC4, I really don't get Exceed. Having to hit and hold down the button several times to charge that doesn't seem worth the damage increase for one hit whatsoever when I could just swing the sword more instead. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong either but it feels imprecise and weird to 'charge' as well.

You're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to time the button press at the end of the swing animation to get an insta act.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

You have to do everything over again?? I think I would implode.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

I've been simply ignoring it for now, it seems to do fuck all for the investment but I'm assuming that I'm obviously missing some application here?
Yeah, you're missing something really huge that's essential for exceed to work well: EX-act and MAX-act. Basically, pressing the rev button at the right time during your attacks with red queen will fill th exceed gauge one bar. Timing it exactly will fill all 3 bars. This is essential for actually using exceed in combat since manual revving is often not viable.

https://devilmaycry.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Queen#Exceed

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You have to do everything over again?? I think I would implode.

The way I'm trying to look at it is that I would have had to do everything again anyway to polish off those S Ranks on some missions. So I guess I'm just doing that again?

For some reason I am finding DMD Mission 12 to be impossible though. All my normal tactics just aren't working :|

Dec 6, 2017
US
You're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to time the button press at the end of the swing animation to get an insta act.

Yeah, you're missing something really huge that's essential for exceed to work well: EX-act and MAX-act. Basically, pressing the rev button at the right time during your attacks with red queen will fill th exceed gauge one bar. Timing it exactly will fill all 3 bars. This is essential for actually using exceed in combat since manual revving is often not viable.

https://devilmaycry.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Queen#Exceed

Eh, no wonder! I didn't realize you could do that and the manual revving seemed like a complete waste of time.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The only two missions in the game I didn't like are

Vs. the giant colossus and the one where you just hop down giant holes in the tree over and over, but if you want the orbs you need to stop at every platform along the way. MAN that level sucked.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The way I'm trying to look at it is that I would have had to do everything again anyway to polish off those S Ranks on some missions. So I guess I'm just doing that again?

For some reason I am finding DMD Mission 12 to be impossible though. All my normal tactics just aren't working :|
Yeah I guess that's true.

I also just finished that mission on DMD, not really enjoying this mode, but Dante's missions are a little more bearable since he has much more in his arsenal to combat the annoying enemies. M12 had some annoying fights that had me using gold orbs (I'm really going through them and they are getting quite expensive now, pretty annoying). Although, the boss fight didn't give me that much trouble at all, once I switched to Trickster he never hit me again.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, so yeah. Booted the game up a third time to try and beat
Vergil
on SOS difficulty without using a gold orb or red orbs after losing. Exact same result as the first 2 sessions.

i9Z4egW.gif

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get a glitch in Mission 13 that puts an invisible wall over the hole you're supposed to go down?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah I guess that's true.

I also just finished that mission on DMD, not really enjoying this mode, but Dante's missions are a little more barebale since he has much more in his arsenal to combat the annoying enemies. M12 had some annoying fights that had me using gold orbs (I'm really going through them and they are getting quite expensive now, pretty annoying). Although, the boss fight didn't give me that much trouble at all, once I switched to Trickster he never hit me again.

I'm trying to do it without using Gold Orbs but I am PRETTY BLOODY CLOSE to just giving in.

Hell Antenora (Dual Axe wielding demon) and Hell Judecca (Dual.....scythe? wielding teleporting demon) are some of the most annoying enemies ever put in the game IMO. They're actually so bad that I don't believe I totally understand how to approach them - I've never actually seen an enemy this annoying in an Itsuno game since.....well......ever.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Do any modes disable using Red or Gold orbs to continue? Just seems like you could buy your way through DMD mode if you really wanted to.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Getting S rank on mission 10 at human difficulty is a bitch. Seems like you can't screw up as much as any other mission.

If a Subway is one of the Highlights and more exciting levels in terms of presentation you know something is really wrong with the Rest of the game.
You could have told me that the last couple of missions are procedurally generated and I'd believe you, they don't look carefully handcrafted or interesting to me, just very bland and empty.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do any modes disable using Red or Gold orbs to continue? Just seems like you could buy your way through DMD mode if you really wanted to.

You could but it majorly gimps your rank. I'll be honest, it's how I made it through DMD the first time when I was playing the game for review two weeks ago.

I'm really really trying to rank better this time through and blergh it's hard.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game on Devil Hunter and I gotta say, while the combat is good and fun and all, the level design is absolutely terrible and really just feels like you going down absolutely uninspired corridor after uninspired corridor with a few cut-scenes sprinkled in and a Boss fight at the end. Really wish they would've changed it up a bit at some point.

Stormus

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
On mission 13. Really enjoying the game so far. I will say as a new comer to the franchise, they throw A LOT at you QUICK. Going to do at least two playthroughs.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm trying to do it without using Gold Orbs but I am PRETTY BLOODY CLOSE to just giving in.

Hell Antenora (Dual Axe wielding demon) and Hell Judecca (Dual.....scythe? wielding teleporting demon) are some of the most annoying enemies ever put in the game IMO. They're actually so bad that I don't believe I totally understand how to approach them - I've never actually seen an enemy this annoying in an Itsuno game since.....well......ever.
I started off that way, but sometimes the game doesn't checkpoint where you think it would, so at times it would take me right back to the start of the mission even though I had beat the first few fights, so I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

And yeah, those enemies are annoying, sometimes I keep myself in the air and shoot down with the shotgun or whatever and chip away at them that way.