• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That said there are some bosses especially in first half of the game I dislike no matter what as they are tutorial or gimmick bosses which are Qliphoth roots, Nidhogg and Gilgamesh. Just a bunch of immobile giant hurt boxes that you hit the fleshy weak spots. Gilgamesh in particular is going to be annoying as the other two characters... its just a bad Echidna fight.
Agreed. The Quilphoth roots are great for teaching you how to deal with Urizen, but they're really dull on replays. I imagine Nidhogg will become as dull as 3's Leviathan heart with Nero ad Dante. Gilgamesh feels like it was created purely for the trailers. At least one and done players get a nice does of spectacle out of it though I guess.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 8 potential spoiler question:

Am I seeing a bonfire equivalent Easter egg in mission 8 or am I going crazy

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Pressing the home button on Xbox during a cutscene skips it. This should be patched

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else just feel completely overwhelmed? Im being chucked shit loads of new arms, buying loads of new move sets .... and just as I feel like I'm getting to grips with them, they chuck a new character my way, and his combat feel's completely different and more detached. Miss the simplicity of the 1st game compared.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else just feel completely overwhelmed? Im being chucked shit loads of new arms, buying loads of new move sets .... and just as I feel like I'm getting to grips with them, they chuck a new character my way, and his combat feel's completely different and more detached. Miss the simplicity of the 1st game compared.

You are not supposed to learn all of that in one playthrough.

This depth will last you for a very, very long time and that's the whole point.

Oct 25, 2017
The animation in this game is just amazing, I could make gifs forever.

mc3grv8.gif

This has to be best animated game ever made.

And as a bonus, there's virtually no clipping in the game as far clothing and the hair goes. It's too good.
This game animation is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017

I recommend looking at a move in the shop, trying it in the void, and just use the void to fuck around with one weapon. That really helped me understand all of their ins and outs.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about that, they did the full mocap face rig for this game, and the game audio looks like a complete match to Reuben Langdon's performance capture to me.

Although I agree that the facial animation in the game isn't that amazing, it just isn't that detailed. I guess they didn't massage the mocap that much. I really meant gameplay animation specifically to be honest.

I think that there's also a very slight desync in the game's cut-scenes between video and audio, whether you're experiencing stuttering like some PC users or not.

They had the actors re-record the audio/ADR after the performance capture shoot. Instead of using the audio captured the sessions. They've actually done this for DMC3 and 4, having the actors watch the mocap and try to match the tone:

I actually think it's some of the most onpoint animation and that the poor ADR work brings it down a little. There are even some instances where it's clear they changed a line or two and the animation doesn't match because it was an earlier version of the scene.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They had the actors re-record the audio/ADR after the performance capture shoot. Instead of using the audio captured the sessions. They've actually done this for DMC3 and 4, having the actors watch the mocap and try to match the tone:

I actually think it's some of the most onpoint animation and that the poor ADR work brings it down a little. There are even some instances where it's clear they changed a line or two and the animation doesn't match because it was an earlier version of the scene.

There's probably some ADR involved but that one example looked 1:1 to me.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah looking back on 4, I realize that part of the reason why I didn't like juggling 3 weapons is that Gilgamesh and Lucifer were frankly not very fun to use.

I'm actually playing DMC4 right now and just unlocked Gilgamesh. Was so hyped as I loved Ifrit in the first game and the moveset with Gilga is very similar...but something does feels off. Like its too slow and the reach isn't there. Or the enemies you face aren't taken into great consideration with it? Hard to say yet as I am still getting the feel for it, but I'm not immediately enjoying it as much as I thought.

Lots of whiffs, lots of overshooting foes, you can't easily break out of a standard combo once the game even slightly recognizes you may have held a button to start a charge(even if I didn't). The charged uppercut does feel awesome though, but even Kick-13 isn't as crazy feeling here as in DMC1.

Rebellion is stupid fun though. Also, I'm like never switching off Swordmaster, which makes me think I'm approaching some encounters wrong? I dunno. Trickster doesn't seem very useful given I can evade handily without the dodge and my moveset is like cut in half for it. Guns? I...don't get why I would need this outside of showing off? Royal Guard seems great to master, but I'm having more fun with Swordmaster on my first play...so fuck the other three forms?

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I was one of the least optimistic people about V, and now I end up lovin him way more than most people

He needs bosses/the harder enemies to make him shine. And hes the most frustrating for casuals cause his execution is complicated since
  • Parry with V requires strict timing
  • Parrying with shadow requires set up most the time
  • Promotion requires a ton of insight into enemy behavior to be worthwhile
  • Dodging moves shadows and cancels charges
  • Double jump moves lil chicky and cancels charges
  • Air trick can only be done once without jump cancelling, meaning you have to use chain executions for multiple fast kills
  • Chain executions requires different timing for each animation, and there are alot of them unique to each enemy
  • AOE executions require good positioning
  • You need to be constantly reading the book for good play, and that requires knowing good spacing.
All of that ^ on top of the genuine difficulty of controlling 3 PCs at the same time.

That said there are some bosses especially in first half of the game I dislike no matter what as they are tutorial or gimmick bosses which are Qliphoth roots, Nidhogg and Gilgamesh. Just a bunch of immobile giant hurt boxes that you hit the fleshy weak spots. Gilgamesh in particular is going to be annoying as the other two characters... its just a bad Echidna fight.
IMO
  • Roots is just an exceed tutorial, not sure what that isn't skipable in later playthroughs.
  • Nidhogg hes a great tutorial/skill check for V. Like you want to do chain executions on the heads to stop nidhogg coming down and harassing you, then you want to summon nightmare for optimal damage. When nidhoggs attacking you, you can counter with the summons its really cool.
  • I think gilgasmesh is suppose to be a tutorial boss to get you using charge shots, snatch, and movement attacks in the air...but god dam is he boring. Especially on DMD since during the extra phase he has devil trigger, and is just ridiculously tanky

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
One thing I wish was that the game didn't force you to play characters you don't want to. I would much rather play as Nero throughout than V or Dante. I think separate campaigns for each might have been a better idea - switching between them breaks up the "flow" if you know what I mean.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
15 seconds in the air with Dante, best strategy?
This one was actually really easy to cheese. I just jumped once then repeatedly used the back triangle attack with the motorycycle, then one or two normal attacks, then repeat the cycle over and over til you notice you are starting to fall down. Once you begin to fall from doing this jump one more time (swap to trickster if you need the air dash also to reach them) to the flying enemy in the middle and spam the long back triangle move with the motorcycle again and you will spend the 15 seconds in the air.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
On monday I had never touched this series. Now I have beaten 1, 3, 4 and 5. Man, what a ride.

5 Might be my favorite of the series so far, but it's close.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Cavalliere and mash Triangle in the air while hitting enemies.
This one was actually really easy to cheese. I just jumped once then repeatedly used the back triangle attack with the motorycycle, then one or two normal attacks, then repeat the cycle over and over til you notice you are starting to fall down. Once you begin to fall from doing this jump one more time (swap to trickster if you need the air dash also to reach them) to the flying enemy in the middle and spam the long back triangle move with the motorcycle again and you will spend the 15 seconds in the air.

It worked. Cavaliere was the missing key to the puzzle. I was doing all sorts of stuff in trickster. It's funny cause the thumbnail for the mission has Dante holding the Cavaliere and I totally ignored that.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, I'm at mission 18 and this game really feels like a massive celebration of the series. Which also gives me the feeling that it's building up to be its last, but screw it, I'm hooked.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
About to buy the SE for X1X, anything I should know before going in?
Is this your first DMC game? If so then don't worry about getting high ranks on your first playthrough. They'll come naturally after some practice.

Start on Devil Hunter mode as it's normal mode. Only switch down to Human if the game is too difficult for you. Human is so easy that it might not be engaging even if you have no experience with the series.

Buy air hike (the double jump) ASAP.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm i'm playing it on game mode on my tv and it still feels a bit laggy to me, especially nero's dodges. Least it doesn't look bad in game mode like a lot of games.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the first few missions and loving it so far. These facial animations are crazy. Combat feels great. Only problem I have are the voices are so damn low even maxed out.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm enjoying DMD mode, it's just frustrating me more than anything.
DMD was always hell, especially DMC3. DMC4 was cheesable with Dante's DRI and Nero's charged shot.

DmC was lol because the game was easy from design standpoint.

Last edited:

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
After a few hours I can say that's more of the same to be honest. The combat is stellar, but story, storytelling, level and enemy design goes from average to weak. It's exactly the same cons and pros from past games in the series.

Won

Oct 27, 2017

Not necessarily overwhelmed, but rather annoyed by now (I think Mission 9). I think "bloat" is the word I would throw at the game for now.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I feel like I was one of the least optimistic people about V, and now I end up lovin him way more than most people

He needs bosses/the harder enemies to make him shine. And hes the most frustrating for casuals cause his execution is complicated since
  • Parry with V requires strict timing
  • Parrying with shadow requires set up most the time
  • Promotion requires a ton of insight into enemy behavior to be worthwhile
  • Dodging moves shadows and cancels charges
  • Double jump moves lil chicky and cancels charges
  • Air trick can only be done once without jump cancelling, meaning you have to use chain executions for multiple fast kills
  • Chain executions requires different timing for each animation, and there are alot of them unique to each enemy
  • AOE executions require good positioning
  • You need to be constantly reading the book for good play, and that requires knowing good spacing.
All of that ^ on top of the genuine difficulty of controlling 3 PCs at the same time.

IMO
  • Roots is just an exceed tutorial, not sure what that isn't skipable in later playthroughs.
  • Nidhogg hes a great tutorial/skill check for V. Like you want to do chain executions on the heads to stop nidhogg coming down and harassing you, then you want to summon nightmare for optimal damage. When nidhoggs attacking you, you can counter with the summons its really cool.
  • I think gilgasmesh is suppose to be a tutorial boss to get you using charge shots, snatch, and movement attacks in the air...but god dam is he boring. Especially on DMD since during the extra phase he has devil trigger, and is just ridiculously tanky
Are there some sort of counter frames to summoning the bird/cat? Because I've never seen them.