• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game. Absolutely marvelous and CapGod yet delivers once again. I was very skeptical of Nero, but I ended up really loving him in this game.

Game is close to perfection, but it has two major issues that I need them to fix to make this game much better

1- let me play as any character I want for entire playthrough.
2- let me switch devil breakers with d-pad

Also V sucks

That's it I'm not asking for more

I rate this Godsend game S savage/10

With playable Vergil it will be SS sick skills/10

I'm so in love with this game and I can't wait to do a SOS run next week.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
DMD mode is really making me wish they kept healing items. They really want you to buy those red orbs on the store. Sucks.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First game I've used Royal Guard. Proundest member of the Royal Guard master race now. It's incredible

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a quick video I just made

giphy.gif

Hahah. Whoops. Thanks for this.

I'm on Mission 11 and have been avoiding DMC threads in case of accidental spoilers, but glad I peeked in and saw this. I feel like I've just been spazzing with them.

I probably need to re-think my button config for him too, and put one of the two on a shoulder.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In general its hard to give tips on this fight, obviously make sure you combo him till his revenge value. Use RG and save its release till the last phase. And most important for style
Hes a god tier fight even on normal mode with his minimal movesets.

Beat it before reading this, but this is good to know for the future (...if I can pull that off)
Can't deny the fights quality, as painful a learning experience as it was for me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was gonna do this, but Cavalier was too much fun and I couldn't give up Balrog either.

So for most of the game I had 3 weapons and 2 guns (E&I and K.Ann)

Same, I had all 4 on during the first play through but moving forward I can't see myself not using sword/Balrog/Cavalier at a minimum.

From guns, I found myself not using anything aside from K. Ann after getting it. The normal shot is great and the charge shot is so beefy.

Sep 20, 2018
Finished it early this morning.

In terms of gameplay, I think I need to experiment more to fully appreciate Dante, but he was loads of fun even without top much experimentation. I have to say though, I am kind of disappointed in his weapon selection.

I feel like we got three swords that are just re-skins of each other (Rebellion, Sparda, and Devil Sword Dante), even if DSD has a couple of different moves from the other two, they're still Rebellion moves we've seen before (Drive/Overdrive etc.), and I would have preferred some more unique weapons and some returning weapons.

I really like King Cerberus, but I feel like with that they opened up a can of worms, as it made me just want to see revamped versions of weapons like specifically Agni and Rudra and Nevan. Imagine A&R with a dual blade stance and Nevan with a scythe stance. That would be amazing. Am I alone in wanting this?

I'm a little confused as to why they didn't bother to bring in more returning weapons. I realize that Dante sold all his old weapons, but he could have either met demons within that same species (as I can see how there could be more than one of a demon like Nevan, who is basically a succubus) or re-acquired them in Red Grave, either via Nico or bring in Enzo (as Agni and Rudra, iirc, were never officially sold to someone, and they were just waiting to be sold). If A&R and Nevan were in this game, new and improved, it might top DMC3 for me, as I still feel that game had the best weapon selection. I think they're unique enough that if they were in this game they would only add to it, and wouldn't feel like duplicates.

There's no need to bring back any of the gauntlets though, as Balrog is pretty much the perfect synthesis of all the gauntlets. Cavalier I need to experiment a bit with some more, but when I used it, it was fun.

I haven't experimented with Faust yet because I wanted to save my Red Orbs and I'm not confident at this stage I can do the risk/reward thing. The Kalina Anns are both pretty awesome, and E&I and Coyote are pretty sweet as well.

Ability-wise, I was hoping Free Ride and Wild Stomp would make a return, I miss those.

Nero was just awesome- love the new breaker system, and there wasn't really a breaker I didn't like. Love, love, love, that he
gets the Devil Bringer/Buster back and has a DT.
He's pretty much perfection, imo. I didn't feel the need to be able to switch breakers on the fly, as that might have been too much, though I think it's an improvement they could make for the sequel.

V was...interesting. He had the best taunts and I loved Griffon as a character, but I can't really get the hang of his gameplay. Again, more experimentation is needed.

Story-wise, I thought the whole thing fell apart after
Vergil came back. I just don't get his motives. Like, V as a character gave me the impression that he was going to regret his actions and be redeemed, but in the end Vergil just seems like his old self and doesn't really seem to have any character development. Why does he fight Dante in the end? Like, at the end of DMC3 he had a reason- he wanted more power- but why fight him now? What does he gain? I thought his experiences as V would cause him to respect his brother a little more and not have the urge to pointlessly fight him, but I guess not. And why bother fighting Nero? It just didn't really make any sense to me, and it seemed like Vergil was the final boss because "reasons".

Also, are Dante and Vergil ever planning on coming back? Nero seems to imply it's impossible for them to come back, but Trish and Lady seem to imply it IS possible to an extent, as they're left wondering at the end if Dante's coming back. Vergil has Yamato, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to come back via portal cut. Idk how I'd feel if they remain in the Underworld. On the one hand, I feel like power-level-wise, it makes sense for them to only deal with the cosmic/strongest-of-the-strong threats, but on the other hand, I want more interaction between them and all the characters. What are people's thoughts on whether or not they will return?

Going forward, I do wonder if in DMC6, Nero is going to be the solo campaign and Dante/Vergil will be some kind of co-op campaign.

All-in-all, I still like DMC3/DMCSE the best, though this does beat DMC4/DMC4SE, for me, and I actually really liked DMC4SE.

Oct 25, 2017
I played through on demon hunter first time and figured out the final boss decently quick. Not as clever a solution like the spoiler gif above though. As I just dodged for that whole part.

Balrog kick mode's dive kick made the second half of the fight a lot easier to get in for the hits.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it on DH and this is more or less exactly what I wanted. I have zero complaints aside no playable Vergil.

Also I am now confident to say I enjoy Nero more than Dante both as a character and as a playstyle.

I will try to S rank remaining missions and clear more difficulties until Sekiro hits.

Capcom is 100000% back.

Oct 25, 2017
also for people looking for tips on V, remap Griffon to L2. I had Griffon on L2 and Shadow on Circle. Basically just combod with shadow while constantly charging Griffon with L2

Even once you have his shit down though...hes still really boring compared to Dante and Nero...I feel like his playstyle would be a lot mroe fun in a slower paced RPG game. Like Folklore with his controls wouldve been good.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through on demon hunter first time and figured out the final boss decently quick. Not as clever a solution like the spoiler gif above though. As I just dodged for that whole part.

Balrog kick mode's dive kick made the second half of the fight a lot easier to get in for the hits.

Damnit, I can't believe I forgot about that during the fight lol.

It's what I used against him in DMC3.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the smartest things they have done is put the two final boss fights in two separate missions that have nothing but those boss fights. Perfect for re-plays.

Non of that Bayo locking the best boss fight in the game behind a fucking harrier section bullshit.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Same, I had all 4 on during the first play through but moving forward I can't see myself not using sword/Balrog/Cavalier at a minimum.

From guns, I found myself not using anything aside from K. Ann after getting it. The normal shot is great and the charge shot is so beefy.

Yeah looking back on 4, I realize that part of the reason why I didn't like juggling 3 weapons is that Gilgamesh and Lucifer were frankly not very fun to use.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Used a yellow orb to finish off Gilgamesh after getting nuked by his new phase, game gave me 7 new breakers lmao. Yet they can't refund me on death/retry checkpoint. Mmmhm
I went into a boss fight with very little health and no gold orbs. It left me in a difficult situation because I really didn't want to buy gold orbs, but I ended up doing that and now they have went right up in price. If it becomes a problem again I think I'm going farm red orbs on chapter 16 like crazy.

Screw MTX, though, really sucks we have them in a DMC game.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
One of the smartest things they have done is put the two final boss fights in two separate missions that have nothing but those boss fights. Perfect for re-plays.

Non of that Bayo locking the best boss fight in the game behind a fucking harrier section bullshit.

To be frank, I prefer Itsuno over Kamiya because he doesn't stick overlong minigames in his work.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I'm assuming you're playing with the tutorial off since you didn't know that.

You should turn it on. There are two instances in the game where you are told key control functions that you wouldn't see if you have the tutorial off.

I have the tutorials on, just got confused for a sec.
Game is really good at explaining things and also puts everything into the tutorial menu, I really like it.

Time to hit The Void!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else thinks that
Rebellion/Sparda are more useful than Demon Sword Dante due to Shredder on demand?It's one of the best parry moves.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I just achieved my first D ranking. It was mission 15 and I had to revive twice in order to beat that boss. I feel ashamed.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Man I was trying to complete secret mission 7 by using balrog to destroy the scissors and I accidentally killed the enemy in one hit and beat the mission with it lmao.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else thinks that
Rebellion/Sparda are more useful than Demon Sword Dante due to Shredder on demand?It's one of the best parry moves.

Balrog is so ridiculous at parries it doesn't really matter to me. Dante makes the hardest enemies in the game pretty much fodder with the rapid punches.

Oct 27, 2017
I just achieved my first D ranking. It was mission 15 and I had to revive twice in order to beat that boss. I feel ashamed.

This was me in mission 19 (or whatever the penultimate mission was). I died like 4 times. He just eats a huge chunk of your health bar if you get touched, and I was getting a little salt lol. I should go back and re-do it because all the shit that happens afterward is hype as fuck and I wasted it by being salt.

Nov 7, 2017
Any hints on how to fight Fury?
just hold royal guard

also go into the void to practice against specific enemies. I did that with nero and the Sonic the hedgehog guys (chaos) to find the best way to deal with them. and found shooting them while theyre spinning slows them down and you can attack them and break their spikes. nice way to find different tricks for certain enemies

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for more or less mashing it out to beat the first boss. Gotta get a better handle on the game.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else thinks that
I'm pretty biased on DSD since I've been screaming for Aerial Rave to be a base move since 4, but with that said I think the extra tools you get with swordmaster now offer much more.

Plus this:
Balrog is so ridiculous at parries it doesn't really matter to me. Dante makes the hardest enemies in the game pretty much fodder with the rapid punches.
The punch hitbox is wild, I got a parry from an enemy jump attacking BEHIND me while I single jabbed an enemy in front of me. Also Kick mode breakdance has given me so many incidental parrys, it's ridiculous.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly how I feel. I've been a gaming rut for months but DMCV has reignited my passion for the hobby. Feels so good to play something other than an open world mtx filled cash grab.

Quoted for truth. I can't get enough of games that give back what you put in. Every moment I play I feel like I'm getting better at the combat and the more I learn the more I realize how high the skill ceiling is.

That said, I still suck. Coming from spending a ton of time playing Bayonetta (this is my first DMC) I'm having to unlearn sooooooo much tech. XD

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indicator in which missions you have collected Blue/Purple fragments?

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Only just done mission 9 and after initially being blown away I'm on the fence.

-Amazing game play, yet forces you to use a character who is garbage spam that doesn't fit with this game at all.
-Enemy variety is fine, but game is too easy on the initial devil hunter.
-Bosses so far haven't been great. When I saw that Neo angelo thing, I thought YES some virgil level boss shit, yet it was just a regular slow enemy.
-Story sucks so far, not to mention the stupid time skips.
-Mixed on Nero. Personality seems a copy of Dante now.

While better than 1, that had a better story and atmosphere going for it.
Just isn't as good as 3, I guess no DMC will ever be.
4s bosses mostly sucked, but there were a few decent ones, so far DMC5 bosses have been shit, but I have only finished mission 9.

I just feel like they've replaced backtracking with repeatedly running through the same area from a different angle; ultimately I am enjoying the game, so I guess that's what counts.

Oct 25, 2017
Only just done mission 9 and after initially being blown away I'm on the fence.

-Amazing game play, yet forces you to use a character who is garbage spam that doesn't fit with this game at all.
-Enemy variety is fine, but game is too easy on the initial devil hunter.
-Bosses so far haven't been great. When I saw that Neo angelo thing, I thought YES some virgil level boss shit, yet it was just a regular slow enemy.
-Story sucks so far, not to mention the stupid time skips.
-Mixed on Nero. Personality seems a copy of Dante now.

While better than 1, that had a better story and atmosphere going for it.
Just isn't as good as 3, I guess no DMC will ever be.
4s bosses mostly sucked, but there were a few decent ones, so far DMC5 bosses have been shit, but I have only finished mission 9.

I just feel like they've replaced backtracking with repeatedly running through the same area from a different angle; ultimately I am enjoying the game, so I guess that's what counts.
I finished the game and feel like I can mostly agree with you. The bosses however do get better. Game is overall great but it still leaves me wanting a lot. Playable Trish and Lady would make up for everything though.

What you noticed with the levels definitely stood out to me, and just overall there is a nearly complete lack of interesting areas. A few places where the Qliphoth has merged with the town are neat, but thats about it.