• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Just unlocked Dante

502.jpg

I may be too small brained for this

You'll get use to it, then you'll start how to play DMC.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I am really enjoying this game. Feels like a treat, and welcome break from the open world barrage of games we've been getting.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked Dante

502.jpg

I may be too small brained for this
I have been playing this series since the DMC1 demo so almost 20 years now...

DMC5 Dante even makes ME think I am too small brained for this.

And the Buster Devil Breaker arm does more damage on the Breaker version. But i still think its not worth the slot.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
I played on human difficulty - the wording made me think it was normal and it ended up making the game boring as it was so easy, now I think about it.

For some reason the wording on the other option sounded like it would be a hard mode.

Maybe I'll play it again at some point on a harder mode - there was still spectacle etc - just zero risk as everything dies so easily on that difficult as it turns out it's rhe easy mode :/

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so, what's the point of the faust weapon? the hat?

why would i use a weapon that consumes red orbs?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
OK, the lock-on system is pissing me off in DMD mode. Just aim at the thing I want to aim at, dammit!

Rage mode activated.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Glitched through the floor (was up high) in mission 08 and skipped a bunch of segments. Enemy step huzzah...

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game and the ending gave me all I wanted to immediately start my second playthrough, gonna grab some food and burn through it again lol

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
At Mission 16 & Nero is definitely my favorite character to use. Once you start getting Exceed with attacks down, you almost feel unstoppable. And the Devil Breaker mechanic is great. Once I get into the groove of things though, I start popping them like candy. I have to stop that lol

Dante is just... too much for me lol.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
so, what's the point of the faust weapon? the hat?

why would i use a weapon that consumes red orbs?
Faust weapon is one of the best weapons in the game. It can do stuff like be an orbiting satellite like im Nier where it can shoot autonomously allowing you to do mew combos amd juggles. You can throw the hat on enemies and then pull them back like Neros wire snatch (also usable in the air). You can have it circle around you like Spiral Swords etc.

It's considered as a Gun so a lot of its moves are locked behind Gunslinger style upgrades.

Also using Faust is almost always a huge net positive of red orbs if you are landing hits.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys already in DMD and I haven't finished the game on DH lol.
I'm still on DH too. I want my first playthrough to last so I;ve been regularly replaying missions to look for orb fragments/secret missions as well as letting me practice new weapons in a safe environment. The void is great for gettting the basics down, but nothing beats field experience.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, Nero's Devil Bringer makes the Buster Arm devil breaker redundant. The Buster Arm was intended to fill that gap until you reacquired the DB, so unless you want to having two grabs for Nero, it's totally redundant. Dead weight, if you will.
it does more damage on normal throws, and has the super.

I think damage is the only reason to use it?
That's pretty much what I expected, that's one less thing to worry about.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Faust weapon is one of the best weapons in the game. It can do stuff like be an orbiting satellite like im Nier where it can shoot autonomously allowing you to do mew combos amd juggles. You can throw the hat on enemies and then pull them back like Neros wire snatch (also usable in the air). You can have it circle around you like Spiral Swords etc.

It's considered as a Gun so a lot of its moves are locked behind Gunslinger style upgrades.

Also using Faust is almost always a huge net positive of red orbs if you are landing hits.
I was avoiding it because of the Red Orb thing as well, but if you get more out of it if you use you wisely...

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Completed SOS mode just recently. Not going to attempt DMD until I've managed to get an S rank on all mission in every difficulty.

I do cool shit and feel like I have a good grasp on what I want to attempt and execute it, but I need to get better.

I like the game much more than I expected. I've only actually completed the first game a year back and lost interest after starting up the second game.

Its good the combat is so well made because boy is the rest of the package quite mediocre imo. The combat is really what holds the game up, and it does it well.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
untitled-19ej4e.jpg

18 years of technology and we have come a long, long way in real time 3D rendering.

I'm also impressed with how much they managed to nail the general look of his DMC1 appearance in profile, hairstyle etc. while looking more or less totally natural at the same time - you can see they were going back and forth with hairstyles in the concept art, but the final version combined with the face model is a fantastic take on the established character in a far, far more realistic sort of presentation than their original debut. The fact that in gameplay I can be so strongly reminded of PS2 promo art that retained a massively stylised look with a photorealistic character model shows they really did do a good job with their art direction.

Vergil, on the other hand, does look like a bit of a cosplayer - the technical side of his face capture is great, but compared to Dante he didn't feel quite like they completely got it spot on to his prior appearances - of course, the gap between what they're doing here and PS2 presentation is enormous.

Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday I began to play with Dante (I'm taking my time and replaying a lot the missions), and honestly the game went from a 9/10 to a 11/10. Nero is very fun to play (and the Exceed mechanic is so rewarding when you pull it in a full combo seamless), V is a great addition and very original (and with a lot of depth micromanaging both summons).. but Dante is a fucking beast. The Cavaliere figth with that music.. :O.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so after dying a good 10 times of being skewered thoroughly by the biggest difficulty spike I've encountered in some time, I'm gonna press the "call era for help" button.

So ol' Verg is giving me the run around, I can make it to the final phase of his health where he brings out his spirit stand thing but that also marks the point where I just can't touch him and get whittled to pieces.
In general though I feel like there are parts of the fight I'm missing something on.
So in general I use royal guard to safely counter his standard attacks, I'm not sure if this is the best way to approach but it gets me through.
When he triggers I just end up fleeing with trickster aid, any time I try to contend here he just smashes right through me or warps and the damage output is too much, only time I feel I can even poke him here is if he uses the vertical attack X2 into the dash which has like one moment of vulnerability.

Then there's him taking off into air Vergil, easy enough to avoid but I feel like there's something more I could be doing here, and also during his charge up period.

Long story short, pls help, I don't want to use golden doodads here, it'd be scandalous

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there a preferred order to buying skills/upgrades? Want to know how to best make use of the 100k red orbs early.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there a preferred order to buying skills/upgrades? Want to know how to best make use of the 100k red orbs early.
Buy air hike and enemy step ASAP. For attacks, calibur, roulette, shuffle, and combo C. The first wire snatch upgrade and color up are also good to get. Of course you can't go wrong with health upgrades.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Right, so after dying a good 10 times of being skewered thoroughly by the biggest difficulty spike I've encountered in some time, I'm gonna press the "call era for help" button.

So ol' Verg is giving me the run around, I can make it to the final phase of his health where he brings out his spirit stand thing but that also marks the point where I just can't touch him and get whittled to pieces.
In general though I feel like there are parts of the fight I'm missing something on.
So in general I use royal guard to safely counter his standard attacks, I'm not sure if this is the best way to approach but it gets me through.
When he triggers I just end up fleeing with trickster aid, any time I try to contend here he just smashes right through me or warps and the damage output is too much, only time I feel I can even poke him here is if he uses the vertical attack X2 into the dash which has like one moment of vulnerability.

Then there's him taking off into air Vergil, easy enough to avoid but I feel like there's something more I could be doing here, and also during his charge up period.

Long story short, pls help, I don't want to use golden doodads here, it'd be scandalous
trickester away whenever he uses doppelganger, trying to rush him down will kill you quick. I think if you shoot it, it disappears

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
IMO:

Speed
Streak
Air Hike
Payline
Split
Roulette Spin
Combo C
Calibur
Devil Breaker slot

And then start building up towards max Exceed bars and Max Act.

People say to get enemy step soon but you can buy like 4-5 moves first instead of enemy step which is going to be more enjoyable ble starting out. But definitely get enemy step soon.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The lock on switch didnt use to work like this before. Not sure why they changed that.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going through SOS now and enjoying using V even more.

When all of his summons are on screen wrecking at the same time and the style rank instantly jumps to S...

Switching Griffin from Square to Circle has been working out great so far. I can use both Shadow and Griffin now just with my right thumb. If I want to charge Griffin's attack then I hold Circle double with the middle of the thumb while still hitting Triangle with the tip of it to attack with Shadow at the same time.

Another bonus is that you can easily tap both buttons at the same time with the thumb while combing and both Shadow and Griffin will attack together continuously.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else permanently sticking to two weapons and guns for Dante? I wanna feel better about myself.

Oct 26, 2017

In general its hard to give tips on this fight, obviously make sure you combo him till his revenge value. Use RG and save its release till the last phase. And most important for style
Hes a god tier fight even on normal mode with his minimal movesets.

V is really shining on these DMD bosses IMO. Minions get 1-2 shots, so you have to micro manage . Damage is very low, so making use of openers to get off huge Nero/dante style counters is really satisfying. You have to really know the fight though, unlike nero which can do counters on reaction

Dahbomb wrong thread dude!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The animation in this game tho

You know a gripe I always had with this series was how unbelievably stiff the walking animation in every entry. They finally fixed that with DMC5.

Is anyone else permanently sticking to two weapons and guns for Dante? I wanna feel better about myself.
If you try to play Dante like a pro at the start you're gonna have a bad time. Gotta ease into it and he's well suited for that.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I finally got a chance to sit down with the game for a good bit today. I think it gave me motion sickness a little bit. I don't usually get this with this type of game but I hope it's just my brain adjusting.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
About half-way through SOS mode now. Still not a big fan of V, but I can play him okay. It's just a matter of getting Shadow to do what I want. Getting more combos with Nero to come out now, especially with enemy step, but I still have a hard time getting SSS.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow Nero is a monster in subsequent runs after the first one. Beasting all over dudes.

The MAX Act timing is tough. I only manage to get it like once in 15 or so tries but when you get it in-combo, Hnnnnnnnnng it's so goooooood!

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am for now. I think everyone should be playing it like this starting out
If you try to play Dante like a pro at the start you're gonna have a bad time. Gotta ease into it and he's well suited for that.

I just don't see myself ever going past two weapons. I HATED juggling three weapons in DMC4. Dante was much more fun for me in DMC3 (and before I got Lucifer and Pandora in 4) so I'm glad this game lets you stick to two weapons.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MAX Act timing is tough. I only manage to get it like once in 15 or so tries but when you get it in-combo, Hnnnnnnnnng it's so goooooood

I have it down decently now on his first slash. It feels like it's happening around the frame when he starts pulling on the sword but just before it slashes.

Timing-wise it's basically very soon after you hit the slash button (quicker than I expected) and animation wise it's right when he starts pulling on the sword (his hand is still behind his back, holding the sword at his moment).