• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Really enjoying V now. He's still the worst character but he's such a fun dork to play around with.

So broken as well

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That moment when you want to style for a SSScrenshot and by dumb luck you find a gold orb you previously missed.

mz5aJ30.jpg

Bayonetta 2 nod/easter egg [had to look closer at the butterfly to finally catch on]

WSCWf9x.jpg

S0QOqxK.jpg

HGJhgmm.jpg

o04p6eS.jpg
What platform were these taken on? On the PS4 all of my screens have that annoying Capcom copyright info on them. Any way to turn that off?

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
I can see an issue with the coop now. I just used Nero against the Angelo knights and if I was playing alongside a human that had to be the most boring fight ever for them. I unlocked enemy step soooo.... But I'm sure normally matching is balanced. If that was actually a network match.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Have a few hours in the game now and am loving it. Quick question about V though. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make Shadow actually close gaps. If he's not already right next to an enemy, he will basically just swipe at nothing and I can't quite figure out how to direct him to close the gap. Looking at the move list, nothing jumps out at me that does this. Am I just missing something? I am locked on to the enemies. This was particularly a problem on the first boss when:

I had to kill all 3 plant heads to stun the boss. I couldn't get Shadow over to the other heads quick enough before they respawned. He just sat there and swiped at the air on the other side of the boss room.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a very humerous glitch where one of the enemies (a lizard type thing) started to spasm on the spot, almost as if he was trying to do the most jerky dance move ever, whilst also slowly rising to the air.

In the end it was like watching a helium filled balloon slowly floating away from me, if the balloon looked like a lizard dancing violently that is.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
On Mission 11 right now and I'm loving this game so far. Nero is my favourite to play as, which I expected because hes my favourite in DMC4. The Devil Breakers are so satisfying to use as well. Theres nothing more satisfying than swinging demons around with Rawhide or beating the shit out of enemies with the Buster arm. It never gets old! Im going to go on PSN and download the Deluxe edition cause now im curious about the rest of the Breakers.

V is interesting to play as, but I would be lying If I said I wasnt waiting to play as Nero or Dante again.

My only complaint so far is the level design. Everything feels very similar and almost repeats similar looking levels. That's what DmC got right. The level designs were unique and very creative at times.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
SO I got the sweet surrender arm now...... Nico is Kyrie's best friend for this arm man. She doing real work to make sure she gets what she needs lmao

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone know if you can turn this copyright information off on screens taken on the PS4? Why is this the only platform that includes this? Kind of ruins every picture.
D1TuCySWkAMKpEu.jpg

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Did you read the description in the notes? It's hilarious

Man its hilarious how straight laced and nice Nero and Kyrie are and they have Nico in their lives now and she has no problem with giving nero the raunchiest shit lmao.

Yeah I read it. I laughed my ass off for like 10 minutes after it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking V way more than I expected but my main problem is Griffon keeps doing the move where he teleports next to me and does an energy ball thing. I know I'm flubbing some input but maybe I should just turn that move off. I'm usually focusing mainly on Shadow.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking V way more than I expected but my main problem is Griffon keeps doing the move where he teleports next to me and does an energy ball thing. I know I'm flubbing some input but maybe I should just turn that move off. I'm usually focusing mainly on Shadow.

That is Lock on + back + Griffin button iirc.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a command to manually change which devil breaker you are using as Niro ? I know I can hit LB and empty that whole arm out.

Also I beat the game yesterday but want to give son of Sparda a shot. Game for me was a 10/10. No better action game exists and is now the new standard. Looks better than any game I've ever played , great story , set pieces , pacing , music , and more. I can't find a way to make it better other than letting me play more as V.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
That is Lock on + back + Griffin button iirc.

yeah, I'm usually trying to back away from combat, and I like to mash the Griffon button for extra damage while Shadow is attacking.

I've gotten away from it somewhat by consciously using his forward+attack divebomb move that seems to do surprising damage. But I still waste a lot of time making him do the energy sphere.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a command to manually change which devil breaker you are using as Niro ? I know I can hit LB and empty that whole arm out.

Also I beat the game yesterday but want to give son of Sparda a shot. Game for me was a 10/10. No better action game exists and is now the new standard. Looks better than any game I've ever played , great story , set pieces , pacing , music , and more. I can't find a way to make it better other than letting me play more as V.
These games are balanced around DMD mode so I would highly recommemd trying out the harder difficulties. SoS mode has been a lot of fun. I also recommend performing the Buster grab on all enemies/bosses in the game when you have stunned them.

Also anyone see this?

EBUPh4W.png

Lobbies in Bloody Palace!!!

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I'm usually trying to back away from combat, and I like to mash the Griffon button for extra damage while Shadow is attacking.

I've gotten away from it somewhat by consciously using his forward+attack divebomb move that seems to do surprising damage. But I still waste a lot of time making him do the energy sphere.

I think people having issues with V may be too influenced by the other playstyles and locking on nearly 100% of the time. You can generally play without lock-on and quickly press it to use the modifiers, which allows you to move freely while using the standard attacks.

EDIT: Holy shit. Man this game is the gift that keeps on giving if true.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
End game mechanics spoiler:

It's kinda crazy to me that Nero gains a ton of his core moveset in the final mission of the game. They REALLY want you to be replaying on higher modes.

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does son of sparda or DMD turn off yellow orbs? I really wish that were an option. I decided not to use them for some bosses on my first playthrough, and it made it way more challenging and fun.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to mission 18 and the thing I don't really like about this game are the constant character changes. It just feels like everytime I start getting used to playing as somebody it switches me to somebody else.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
PSA to new players: Please max out Nero's Blue Rose Color up ASAP in the early game. Nero's charged shots deals very good damage and combo very very well with his melee attack.

If you are a DMC4 player, you should very well know how powerful Nero's Charged Shots in DMC4 so it's no brainer you should prioritize in maxing it out early in DMC5.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 18 has some really great call backs. To me this is the best DMC game, no question. What a treat.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How long is the campaign? It's 5pm here at the moment and I wanna do it in 1 sitting.
10-15 hours, or shorter depending on your skill. And note, this is on the default Devil Hunter difficulty. Game is meant to be replayed, getting harder on each playthrough. So there's a ton of content and more coming next month in the form of a bloody palace mode.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
How long is the campaign? It's 5pm here at the moment and I wanna do it in 1 sitting.

8 to 13 hours, usually? It took me 18 to reach the end of the 1st playthrough, but that was with spending a bunch of time in the photo mode, replaying a couple of stages and reading all of the gallery entries and files.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know the levels get alot of flack, but I didn't mind them at all really. Yeah they're samey but it works with DMC and there's alot less shitty platforming this time around - mainly just arenas full of enemies to style on every couple steps.
Agreed. Although they really could have done with some more visual variety. The hunt for the roots in the early game could have easily led V and Nero into some more unique environments, een if it wouldn't make sense for them to be so close to the city like a forest or something.
Have a few hours in the game now and am loving it. Quick question about V though. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make Shadow actually close gaps. If he's not already right next to an enemy, he will basically just swipe at nothing and I can't quite figure out how to direct him to close the gap. Looking at the move list, nothing jumps out at me that does this. Am I just missing something? I am locked on to the enemies. This was particularly a problem on the first boss when:

I had to kill all 3 plant heads to stun the boss. I couldn't get Shadow over to the other heads quick enough before they respawned. He just sat there and swiped at the air on the other side of the boss room.
I'm drawing a blank on the skill's name right now, but there's a skill you can buy for Shadow that acts as a gap closer. The command is forward + the Shadow button.

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So is there some sort of benefit to using the Buster Arm now that Nero has Buster back by default?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I was always under the impression that DMC4 wasn't well received, but I'm liking it quite a bit(playing for the first time before DMCV). Just got to Dante's chapters and getting used to his styles.

I played a ton of DMC1/3, so everything is familiar but its a bit overwhelming having access to all styles toggled on the fly. I already super miss Nero's grab though. Dante has way more flexibility in close, but at range(and this early without upgrades) it can be a real bother keeping the combo up as easily. Even Stinger pushes enemies further out from the crowd.

I suppose this second half of the game is where the decline happens? Backtracking through the same levels than offering much new? I just recall lots of disappointment surrounding this game when it came out, and I never spent much time with it on 360. So far its been good fun and very reminiscent of the PS2 titles....albeit with the exception of playing as Nero mostly.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked Dante

502.jpg

I may be too small brained for this
Spend some time in the void with him to learn his stuff. Also don;t worry about being a style switching god at first, it's fine to stick to swordmaster/trickster starting out with the occasional royal guard when dealing with super obvious attacks like those Sonic wannabes.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
So is there some sort of benefit to using the Buster Arm now that Nero has Buster back by default?

Nah, Nero's Devil Bringer makes the Buster Arm devil breaker redundant. The Buster Arm was intended to fill that gap until you reacquired the DB, so unless you want to having two grabs for Nero, it's totally redundant. Dead weight, if you will.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Although they really could have done with some more visual variety. The hunt for the roots in the early game could have easily led V and Nero into some more unique environments, een if it wouldn't make sense for them to be so close to the city like a forest or

Aside from a couple of eh industrial rooms, I thought most of the city stages were generally okay - but while I liked a lot of the tree environments on their own, I agree that they could have used more variety.
The bottom of the Qlipoth with its illusion of Dante and Vergil's home, for example, was an under-explored idea showing reality distorting as they got further towards its root.
They could have worked in some really abstract environments on those last few floors to break things up a little like DMC3's memorable Escher staircases contrasting the rest of its environments - I like the grotesque organic Giger thing, but 10 missions of it make it lose its shine a little.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I suppose this second half of the game is where the decline happens? Backtracking through the same levels than offering much new? I just recall lots of disappointment surrounding this game when it came out, and I never spent much time with it on 360. So far its been good fun and very reminiscent of the PS2 titles....albeit with the exception of playing as Nero mostly.
Yeah, the backtracking as Dante was a big complaint about it. Even though I was disappointed with it myself, I still had a lot of fun with it back in 2008. I remember doing most of everything in it. I still play it now and again, the combat is still a lot of fun.