• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing the DMC series for the first time. I was starting with 3, but found it really difficult. So I'm just gonna play 4 and 5. Will I miss anything super important?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the times I'm doing good against a boss on my first try they seem to go HAM when they have a smidgen of health left and suddenly I'm dead, each time I then succumb to "fuck it, golden orb" I then get up and they die like a second later.
Hollowest of victories.

Still finding evading spotty against these bigger boss foes right now, just did mission 15 and I felt in that stage boss' case I personally needed Gerbera to get any sort of attacking and evading done reliably.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
That moment when you want to style for a SSScrenshot and by dumb luck you find a gold orb you previously missed.

mz5aJ30.jpg

Bayonetta 2 nod/easter egg [had to look closer at the butterfly to finally catch on]

WSCWf9x.jpg

S0QOqxK.jpg

HGJhgmm.jpg

o04p6eS.jpg

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
do you lose any stylish points if you just go to the menu and restart the checkpoint?
or at the end of the mission? like do you lose the "no continue" bonus?
Because it would quite usefull for bosses instead or restarting the whole mission

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I'm playing the DMC series for the first time. I was starting with 3, but found it really difficult. So I'm just gonna play 4 and 5. Will I miss anything super important?
Which version of 3? If it was the original non special edition version on ps2 then that had japanese hard renamed to normal. Making it insane for new players.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
I have never played any DmC game, this looks interesting but since I got hooked, I would also like to try any previous titles before starting DmCV. I have seen there is an HD collection? Any particular titles worth trying before this one?

DMC1 will always be worth playing. despite it's age. DMC3 evolved the series combat into the deep stylish action we have now, and establishes the feud between the Sons of Sparda, along with introducing Lady. DMC4 introduces Nero and Dante's on the fly Style Switching and will get you set for the combat of 5.

DmC you can play if you want to as a point of reference, but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. I had a ton of fun with it, though the ending left me a bit cold.

Personally, I found Dante the most fun to play as, with V a close second; Nero just never clicked with me, despite his character concept being even cooler than expected, mechanically. Definitely will echo the criticism that the game lacked a bit in the environment department -- it's just conceptually not on par with environments in previous games, in my opinion. Visually, though, it's spectacular, and there is a very meaty game here. Not sure if I'll give Son of Sparda mode a go or not.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i am at the last two missions on Son of Sparda now, i really don´t like the bossfights in this game which is a shame, Devil May Cry was always about cool bosses, the bosses in this game here are just not good imo, i don´t really enjoy fighting them, the cool feeling is not really there.

Oct 29, 2017
All of your impressions sound incredible, buy my deluxe edition copy has yet too arrive. So meanwhile I'm still polishing some basic skills with the ps4 demo.

One thing I can't seem to get right is the timing for the charged up bullets on the Blue Rose, I hold square and let go just as Nero's arm glows, but I always waste that first shot. How can I keep all three of them stored?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no way of changing the difficulty midway through the game? I've been playing on easy and quite fancy going up to normal, but it looks like have to start from the very beginning to do so?

Seems a bit daft.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really struggling with this game.

Had to grind on Mission 2 for ages for orbs to buy blue orbs so I didn't die against the Mouth-Stomach Demon boss and get an S rank.

Really struggling to not take hits against the enemies with two cleavers, miss having a dodge mechanic that doesn't require me to be locked onto one enemy at a time.

And I just can't seem to make the style system tick. Sometimes I seemingly spam and get an SS rank, but then other times I can't break past B or A to save my life, even when I'm making a concerted effort to switch things up and use my entire arsenal. I'm trying to alternate between different combos, my pistol and my Breaker, but it seems almost random with it's dishing out of style points.

Yeah, I really want to like this game, but something just isn't clicking. Hope I figure it out soon.

It's not necessary to get S ranks, like, you don't need to bother with that. Try to look for blue orb fragments throughout the level, several are hidden. There are also secret missions you can complete to gather orb fragments. Four fragments equals to a full orb.

You can dodge with regular jump as well, it has invincible frames on startup like any other dodge. Ditto for dodging in the air with a double jump

Cleaver enemies aggro and rush at you and can't be stunned after you knock them down. Their rush can be avoided with a regular jump, if you have double jump it's even easier. Then they calm down.

The style meter is a combination of variety and pure damage output. So if you're dishing a bunch of damage to multiple enemies at once your style meter will increase much faster, whether you're doing something "stylish" or not.

I hope any of this helped!

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
OTlCpzu.png

Can anyone explain to me what calculation is going on in the left of this image? I assume these numbered areas identify the time between each of the game's ave points given the pictures. But I definitely got more than 4000+ style points in each of those segments but for some reason it's saying I didn't.

Do I have to actively engage in every battle to get these numbers up to S rank?

Mission 8 is the first mission where this has become a weird issue for me.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Going to start the game shortly. This is my first time with any DMC game - should I still go directly with the default difficulty? (played the demo and felt quite comfortable with the fighting system afterwards)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Are there missions where the style song just doesn't play? I just did mission 8 and I was missing Devil Trigger the entire time. It was kind of strange.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no way to change your devil breaker during gameplay? I've tried every single button on Xbox One.

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't finished the game, but went back to mission 1 with Nero and holy fuck, how much fun it is to play again once you've mastered almost all the skills, juggling fools with Max act while "Devil Trigger" plays in the background. It really pumps you up!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doing way better than I thought I would..maybe it's playing Bloodborne, Nioh, The Surge, Dark Souls 3 in between DMC4 and 5.

Getting to S quick but time to get even more stylish.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Finished the game. I had a ton of fun with it, though the ending left me a bit cold.

Personally, I found Dante the most fun to play as, with V a close second; Nero just never clicked with me, despite his character concept being even cooler than expected, mechanically. Definitely will echo the criticism that the game lacked a bit in the environment department -- it's just conceptually not on par with environments in previous games, in my opinion. Visually, though, it's spectacular, and there is a very meaty game here. Not sure if I'll give Son of Sparda mode a go or not.

Nero is fun when you start planning out break age attacks.

Which a lot of people aren't doing? Maybe they don't know how?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I love DMC5 Dante so much, and I never thought I'd say that after DMC4. Between the triple-weapon-switching and the constant Style-switching I just found him too much to handle. My brain couldn't get around him, so I would end up just sticking to one weapon and one Style and generally having a bad time; I much preferred Nero in that game.

They've made so many really clever changes to lower his skill floor in DMC5, while only raising his skill ceiling to even dizzier heights:
- Standard dodge rolling/hopping flows so much more smoothly in and out of attacks
- Devil Sword Dante copies Red Queen's moveset, so you don't need to switch to Swordmaster just to do Aerial Rave
- You can set yourself loadouts of only two weapons, DMC3-style
- Royal Guard's timing is a lot looser, so you aren't constantly taking chip damage from not being frame-perfect

I also just like his weapon loadout here much better than what he had in 4. Balrog is becoming my favourite gauntlet weapon in the series, Cavaliere is like Bayo 2's Salamandra except actually really good, King Cerberus is the dream, dual-wielding Kalina Anns is ridiculous, and... God, I don't even know what to say about Dr. Faust. What a fucking game this is.
I'm right there with you. Dante in 4 just felt off to me. The really strict timing on enemy step cancelling things like aerial race or Gilgamesh's killer bee (along with not liking Lucifer or Pandora) really made it hard for me to gel with him after loving him in 3. I also felt like individual weapons felt kind of simple compared to what he had there. Here he's my favorite character however and I LOVE playing as him. Even with more options I'm finding myself frequently swapping weapons and styles with ease and doing things I couldn't do in 4 and enjoying myself.

And I also adore that they gave Lucifer's rose toss to him as an Air Taunt and it functions the same way. What a cool way to incorporate that weapon's most interesting and useful move.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Trying to beat mission 11 with no weapons. Using only Royal Guard is pretty cool, doing the boss right now, parrying them with RG and this boss music. So good. Never really got too deep into the mechanics of RG in the other games, but I'm really liking it here, feels so badass when you time it right.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017
Question about something that happens in Mission 5&6:
While fighting Gilgamesh in Mission 6 with Nero, at a certain point the floor breaks and you can see V and Griphon. Griphon says something like "you didn't think you did that all by yourself". I never saw this from V's perspective, so... Did I miss something in V's mission 5? Or is this something they just don't show from V's perspective?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Going to start the game shortly. This is my first time with any DMC game - should I still go directly with the default difficulty? (played the demo and felt quite comfortable with the fighting system afterwards)

Default is perfectly fine.

Yeah, there are some missions where no battle music plays. I don't know if it's on purpose or it's a bug with the game.

I think it's on purpose, and I'm glad that the same dang battle theme doesn't play all the time.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
On mission 7 right now. I usually start with human. Game is super easy on human but I mean, I expected that. V is decent fun but a bit of a slog. Graphics are amazing. I haven't had time like others to cruise through this game, busy rl shit, but overall this game is fantastic. I couldn't be more pleased after such a long wait. Nero is such an upgrade from 4 it isn't even fair.

It is tough to sit through the upgrade wait. Maybe I should have bought red orbs. :) With my history alongside DMC, upgrading is just a chore and I hate being limited. If the game was super hard, then fair game. And I'm aware buying is cheap. I just want to have my full arsenal now!

Took me a bit to get my PC stable with vync, graphic, etc... tweaks. Lag on PC is WAY WAY better than the PS4 demo but maybe the retail release is better on PS4. Had to use variable vsync cause the tearing is awful without but not much lag with variable at all. Good job Nvidia. I may grab the PS4 version at some point but it will be a big adjustment like DMC4SE with the lag. Extra arms from deluxe edition are stupid and I want to find a way to get rid of them. That's all I got for now. I'll take much longer than other people to get combo ready due to lack of time to play, but I can't wait to get into the lab!

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Question about something that happens in Mission 5&6:
While fighting Gilgamesh in Mission 6 with Nero, at a certain point the floor breaks and you can see V and Griphon. Griphon says something like "you didn't think you did that all by yourself". I never saw this from V's perspective, so... Did I miss something in V's mission 5? Or is this something they just don't show from V's perspective?

There's no such cutscene in V's mission, but you can attack the legs mission prior. I imagine the scene itself takes place directly after V finished up mission 5

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game...

Amazing. I waited so long and was not disappointed. These movesets. These bossfights! I was slightly worried the game was going to make us go through the same stuff again but was happy to see it's all unique stuff all the way through, and the campaign is very lengthy and full of awesome stuff.

I'm seriously super hyped right now to jump back in for SoS and higher. It's so good to finally have the Nero game with an expanded moveset that really fits the character, as well as the others being totally insane too.

Well done Capcom!

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Nero is fun when you start planning out break age attacks.

Which a lot of people aren't doing? Maybe they don't know how?
Honestly, just with the (I think) increased amount of frames for executing exceed on recovery, just the basic move set and that forward-melee move has given me enough that I haven't really messed with the breakers much at all. Played all the games, but that lessening of execution really opened him up for me. The rate that they give you new breakers in the first half is pretty wild too, and kind of has me putting them on the burner till I finish the game on normal and can just experiment.

Edit: doesn't answer your question specifically, but once you open up customization for Nero... it's a lot for a middle of the road player. Adding a less consistent system can very easily strangle what they try to do initially.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Dived into Steam Big Picture's controller config menus and finally found a setup I like better for Nero's gun. By mapping shoot to both Square and R2, but setting R2 as a toggle instead of a simple press, I can now keep his gun charged without having to constantly hold down a button. It's way comfier!