• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have never played any DmC game, this looks interesting but since I got hooked, I would also like to try any previous titles before starting DmCV. I have seen there is an HD collection? Any particular titles worth trying before this one?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have never played any DmC game, this looks interesting but since I got hooked, I would also like to try any previous titles before starting DmCV. I have seen there is an HD collection? Any particular titles worth trying before this one?

1 is old but a landmark title that basically created these kind of action games.
2 is not good, skip it.
3 is very good and definitely worth playing.
4 is underrated I feel and really good. Battle system is very fun.
DmC (Ninja Theory) is alright.

I have a soft spot for the 1st game.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
1 is old but a landmark title that basically created these kind of action games.
2 is not good, skip it.
3 is very good and definitely worth playing.
4 is underrated I feel and really good. Battle system is very fun.
DmC (Ninja Theory) is alright.

I have a soft spot for the 1st game.

The first game is great, especially if you played it when it first came out, but modern action games have really spoiled us and it's so much more obvious when you play DMC1.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question:
When I use the devil breaker while I have target lock on, Nero always uses wire snatch. Is there a way for him to use the normal devil breaker attack when lock on is active? I always let go of lock on, press circle and lock back on again.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

You can and should start with 5. There's a story summary that proves it's a bunch of nonsense. Just jump in and have fun.

1 and 3 are definitely worth playing at some point.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Why does V look like Ezra Miller?
4-A50-E3-CB-18-B6-4561-9-F9-D-9-C2-EAF58821-B.jpg

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
How does the checkpoint system work if I wanna quit playing for a while? If I see the save icon is it safe to turn the game off and pick up at that spot?

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who is struggling with the hat? It seems like a lot of risk to use with little reward. Like I'd like to get better with it but don't want to sacrifice the orbs (yes I know about the Void but meh everything else is more or less self-explanatory)

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I think DMC6 will be made by a new team.

The old Itsuno crew will pass it to a new fresh team you'd hope.

Do we want anyone else but Itsuno or someone on that level? I mean game is not perfect but..

if it's less than an actual full decade, i'll still be a bit happy

Lol time be damned.. I made it to this one, who knows about the next one.
Let's hope for some quality DLC cos I ain't got my fill yet.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
V has clicked for me. On SoS mode and his fight style makes a lot more sense. I still don't think he's very technical though. Managing your position seems like the most technical it gets with V as far as I see so far

I know Shadow can parry attacks and stuff but fight readability is very bad in this game

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I know Shadow can parry attacks and stuff but fight readability is very bad in this game

this is my biggest gripe with the game in general

red bosses with red attacks on red background with a blur effect when they scream, enemies standing together that you can´t even see the tell that they attack, camera turning around like a rollercoaster which leads to offscreen attacks. sometimes it feels good, sometimes it is just a mess.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
V is one of the coolest characters in the game, he has so much style when finishing off enemies and his lines of dialogue are really cool. He is a keeper.

On another note, I am too bad for the secret missions. Just could beat the first one, but every other mission is too hard for me.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V is one of the coolest characters in the game, he has so much style when finishing off enemies and his lines of dialogue are really cool. He is a keeper.

On another note, I am too bad for the secret missions. Just could beat the first one, but every other mission is too hard for me.
He reminds me of Shadow in that he ends up being cool because he's the most unashamedly dorky character we've seen in video games for ages. He's great.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat SoS all missions S rank. God I love this game. Objectively the best DMC game, runs amazingly on my PC and other then
Vergil
being a colossal baby I loved all the chars too.

Gonna maybe start DMD later if not I'll do DMD and Heaven and Hell tomorrow.

FUCK this is amazing.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm on the complete opposite end. I don't find him fun AT ALL to play. The fact that I have to keep V at bay, while making sure his minions attack the right monsters. His edgelord persona is definitely not my type or why I play DMC.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first mission with V. I don't hate this combat style, but it's not exactly why I'm playing this game. It's tolerable but not necessary.

I also just think of Noctis from FFXV when I'm running around with him and see him from the back.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Got through Mission 15 as of now.
Wow, some of these levels have a lot do on them.

Bosses have been great aside from V's first one. On that matter...
After having trouble with that and Geryon, the boss rush felt like a cakewalk once yoy get back both Shadow and Griffon
Griffon's Blockade 3 is so satisfying to hold and release.

Dante has a lot of stuff to deal with but, man he builds style meter like a mad men just by doing basic shit.

I wish Nero had an option for different projectiles, but in the end is my favorite to play whenever I'm not throwing away breakers because I suck lol.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
do you lose any stylish points if you just go to the menu and restart the checkpoint?
or at the end of the mission? like do you lose the "no continue" bonus?
Because it would quite usefull for bosses instead or restarting the whole mission

Oct 30, 2017
God I'm loving this game. The gameplay feels so good, the music is awesome, it looks amazing. Im not getting the hate for the level design, they just cut out all the extra boring fat that most games have nowadays like gow. This is the first game in years that when I'm at work I'm thinking about playing it. They nailed it. Don't agree with the negative or meh impressions. This has everything I like about videogames in it. No extra boring shit like gow. And props to the writers, I've laughed multiple times at how ridiculous some of the dialogue is. I feel like I'm playing an old school game but with all modern presentation and mechanics. It's great

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So after sleeping my ranking of character playstyles goes dante>nero>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>V
I really liked him at first but every chance I had to avoid playing him later I did. His style feels too damn button mashy and I still had no issue getting s ranks. like someone suggested he would have been much better if his cane was more than a means to kill enemies. Nero gets better over time but jesus fuck is dante hands down the greatest action game character I've ever used. It is so wild switching between all the styles, close and long range arms. My girlfriend was watching me play a little yesterday and asked if I was becoming one with the game because I was silent trying to concentrate linking combos. Lol

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
still think my least favourite boss is the nidhogg root thing. it's a pain in the ass for V at higher levels and really exascebates how awkward it is to control his summons.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I'm loving this game. The gameplay feels so good, the music is awesome, it looks amazing. Im not getting the hate for the level design, they just cut out all the extra boring fat that most games have nowadays like gow. This is the first game in years that when I'm at work I'm thinking about playing it. They nailed it. Don't agree with the negative or meh impressions. This has everything I like about videogames in it. No extra boring shit like gow. And props to the writers, I've laughed multiple times at how ridiculous some of the dialogue is

Glad you're enjoying it. I think it's very fun, but the level design is disappointing for me. I get what you're saying, but my problem is that they haven't really cut away the fat. There's still plenty of light puzzles, side paths for items, and some okay secret areas.

The problem is that it's not at all interesting to explore. Most of the side paths are painfully obvious and serve no purpose but to get a few more red orbs. Secrets are often super easy to find provided you're not just steam rolling to the objective. The puzzles are complete shit - to the point where they serve no purpose but to slow the game down. And perhaps worst of all, the environments are very bland, or at least repetitive.

The result is a corridor game riddled with invisible walls and too many cutscenes of roots decaying, rubble collapsing, or hellish doors opening/closing.

I don't mean to sound super negative. I do think the game is great. However for all the improvements they've made, the level design could be much, much better. I don't want open world DMC, but these corridors are not doing the engine any justice.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I just got through the first 2 missions you play as V and I think I fundamentally do not understand what I should be doing with him. He's not clicking and it's a tad frustrating cus the mission your first play as V, the mission prior is when I finally got my sea legs with Nero.

To anyone who's figured out V, got any tips? I'm fully expecting to play as him again and I really want to upgrade from what essentially felt like me button mashing with him.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God I'm loving this game. The gameplay feels so good, the music is awesome, it looks amazing. Im not getting the hate for the level design, they just cut out all the extra boring fat that most games have nowadays like gow. This is the first game in years that when I'm at work I'm thinking about playing it. They nailed it. Don't agree with the negative or meh impressions. This has everything I like about videogames in it. No extra boring shit like gow. And props to the writers, I've laughed multiple times at how ridiculous some of the dialogue is. I feel like I'm playing an old school game but with all modern presentation and mechanics. It's great

DMC 5 is literally perfection.
My GOTY so far.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I just got through the first 2 missions you play as V and I think I fundamentally do not understand what I should be doing with him. He's not clicking and it's a tad frustrating cus the mission your first play as V, the mission prior is when I finally got my sea legs with Nero.

To anyone who's figured out V, got any tips? I'm fully expecting to play as him again and I really want to upgrade from what essentially felt like me button mashing with him.
I don't have many tips but I recommend using the L2+demon button to power up Griffon and shadow a lot instead of just mashing until nightmare.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Are there no Devil Breakers to pick up in DMD mode? Only a few missions in, but wasn't sure if there are none at all, or there are less of them and I just didn't find any yet.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really struggling with this game.

Had to grind on Mission 2 for ages for orbs to buy blue orbs so I didn't die against the Mouth-Stomach Demon boss and get an S rank.

Really struggling to not take hits against the enemies with two cleavers, miss having a dodge mechanic that doesn't require me to be locked onto one enemy at a time.

And I just can't seem to make the style system tick. Sometimes I seemingly spam and get an SS rank, but then other times I can't break past B or A to save my life, even when I'm making a concerted effort to switch things up and use my entire arsenal. I'm trying to alternate between different combos, my pistol and my Breaker, but it seems almost random with it's dishing out of style points.

Yeah, I really want to like this game, but something just isn't clicking. Hope I figure it out soon.

Oct 30, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it. I think it's very fun, but the level design is disappointing for me. I get what you're saying, but my problem is that they haven't really cut away the fat. There's still plenty of light puzzles, side paths for items, and some okay secret areas.

The problem is that it's not at all interesting to explore. Most of the side paths are painfully obvious and serve no purpose but to get a few more red orbs. Secrets are often super easy to find provided you're not just steam rolling to the objective. The puzzles are complete shit - to the point where they serve no purpose but to slow the game down. And perhaps worst of all, the environments are very bland, or at least repetitive.

The result is a corridor game riddled with invisible walls and too many cutscenes of roots decaying, rubble collapsing, or hellish doors opening/closing.

I don't mean to sound super negative. I do think the game is great. However for all the improvements they've made, the level design could be much, much better. I don't want open world DMC, but these corridors are not doing the engine any justice.
Maybe I'm not far enough to adequately assess them, I'm only on mission 8 so far. But I think they look cool, and have lots of little details and destructables. They serve their basic purpose. I guess there could be more platforming and what not. I don't know, I just have enjoyed it so far. I don't know if more complexity and involving level design would be an improvement for me in this game. I want to fight in cool lookin spaces and so far this is doing it for me. I've only my found one secret mission so far as well so they must be pretty well hidden so there is exploration there

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's badly designed when I run over to a breaker and now I'm stuck with something I don't want.

Watch them patch it out later.
I don't think it's badly designed.
Their goal is for players to not be afraid to spend the breakers, and it encourages that.
Just picked up something we don't want? That means we had an empty space we were doing nothing with, which now means we have a free super to spend at the start of the next fight.

Maybe they will change the order we pick them up in, but I prefer it how it is now. I'd rather spend it right away if I don't want it instead of it sitting in the back, I get far more out of it that way.
I feel like they should have had a secondary currency that was quite plentiful that you used to buy them with instead of red orbs. Like have enemies drop scap or something you use.
I think the idea is to give red orbs something worth using on even after we have all the skills.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... This game. I think i finally lost my mind. Played for 12 hours already and only finished prologue and first two missions.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm not far enough to adequately assess them, I'm only on mission 8 so far. But I think they look cool, and have lots of little details and destructables. They serve their basic purpose. I guess there could be more platforming and what not. I don't know, I just have enjoyed it so far. I don't know if more complexity and involving level design would be an improvement for me in this game. I want to fight in cool lookin spaces and so far this is doing it for me. I've only my found one secret mission so far as well so they must be pretty well hidden so there is exploration there

Yeah, sounds like you're having fun - which is great. Again, I'm also really enjoying it - but that's in spite of the levels. I can only think of one area that was interesting to fight in so far, and even then it was okay. Everything else has been very basic.

I think the game would be alot better with some more interesting areas, like the castle in DMC4, or some the brilliant areas in Bayonetta. At this point I expect I'll finish the game on Devil Hunter and then just wait for Sekiro. I'll then return for Bloody Palace - so I can just focus on the combat.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I love DMC5 Dante so much, and I never thought I'd say that after DMC4. Between the triple-weapon-switching and the constant Style-switching I just found him too much to handle. My brain couldn't get around him, so I would end up just sticking to one weapon and one Style and generally having a bad time; I much preferred Nero in that game.

They've made so many really clever changes to lower his skill floor in DMC5, while only raising his skill ceiling to even dizzier heights:
- Standard dodge rolling/hopping flows so much more smoothly in and out of attacks
- Devil Sword Dante copies Red Queen's moveset, so you don't need to switch to Swordmaster just to do Aerial Rave
- You can set yourself loadouts of only two weapons, DMC3-style
- Royal Guard's timing is a lot looser, so you aren't constantly taking chip damage from not being frame-perfect

I also just like his weapon loadout here much better than what he had in 4. Balrog is becoming my favourite gauntlet weapon in the series, Cavaliere is like Bayo 2's Salamandra except actually really good, King Cerberus is the dream, dual-wielding Kalina Anns is ridiculous, and... God, I don't even know what to say about Dr. Faust. What a fucking game this is.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit... This game. I think i finally lost my mind. Played for 12 hours already and only finished prologue and first two missions.

What. How?

I'm not great at DMC games, but I am probably ~ 5 hours in and hitting mission 13. I think I've only missed a couple of things so far - mostly due to an inability to backtrack once I noticed the secret. Another frustration with the level design.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
What. How?

I'm not great at DMC games, but I am probably ~ 5 hours in and hitting mission 13. I think I've only missed a couple of things so far - mostly due to an inability to backtrack once I noticed the secret. Another frustration with the level design.
Replaying levels lol. Like i said i think i finally lost it....

Part of it is figuring out best graphics settings for my machine but i am enjoying every second of it. Masterpiece!

Oct 26, 2017
Can you only party as Dante and with fists? Trying to figure out the nuances with the game.

Is there a tutorial for mechanics because if so, I'm having a hard time finding it?