• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PC players discovered something interesting with Cheat Engine: When enabling infinite health for playable characters, an error occurs where a certain boss also gets infinite health, indicating that this character seems to share pointers with them.
In other words...
Playable Vergil seemingly confirmed.
Haha, that's great.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
My only criticism with the game is that Nero's depth feels gimped by restricting you to using one Devil Breaker at a time and not letting you switch. Letting us switch freely would have easily opened him up more, as is he feels sorta restricted.
Nero with Breaker switching would likely lead to something really silly like stocking up on eight punchlines and launching them all at once.

It would have been something, but not having switch isn't a big deal, he still has an extremely varied moveset, and he has more than enough to freely use supers or break them.

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Theory really took Capcom to school when it comes to interesting environments like the Bob Barbas section, but I do prefer most of this game overall. But thinking back, there was so much creativity in those DMC locations, I mean damn.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
PC players discovered something interesting with Cheat Engine: When enabling infinite health for playable characters, an error occurs where a certain boss also gets infinite health, indicating that this character seems to share pointers with them.
In other words...
Give that to me...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
In other words...

L M A O

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Nero with Breaker switching would likely lead to something really silly like stocking up on eight punchlines and launching them all at once.

It would have been something, but not having switch isn't a big deal, he still has an extremely varied moveset, and he has more than enough to freely use supers or break them.

that at least has an easy solution, no doubling-up breakers and you can't switch with a breaker active.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
In the customisation menu when selecting your loadout you can press triangle/Y to use the recommended set for that mission. I don't think it's essential though to have the right set going into a mission, there are usually enough lying around in the mission to keep you going.

But even then. I still don't really understand how I am supposed to use the load out. When is the optimum time to use up a glove so I can access the next one?

Am I missing something with them? Is there a way to switch gloves without destroying them?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you beat the game, you know he is going to be playable eventually. His boss moveset looks like a modified DMC4SE Vergil, it feels like you are fighting against a playable character minus like one of his moves where he is charging around. Then when you beat the game you can fight ALONGSIDE Vergil as Dante and you can see his moveset in action against other enemies! They put all this work into his design and moveset, there is no way they won't make him playable. It's just easy money on the table. There is even an EX costume for Vergil in the game.

And Nero has a TON of depth in this game. You guys don't know yet but at least beat the game and start a new run as him unlocking the stuff he has. Sure he is never going to touch DMC5 Dante (not even DMC4 Dante touches him, this is a whole new level) but for most people, Nero's toolset is deep enough that they can pour dozens of hours into him and still learn new things.

But even then. I still don't really understand how I am supposed to use the load out. When is the optimum time to use up a glove so I can access the next one?

Am I missing something with them? Is there a way to switch gloves without destroying them?
You use the current Breaker's power move on enemies to get the most value out of it. The optimum time depends on the Breaker itself:

*Small area but lots of enemies around? Use Gerbera power move in the air.
*A stationary target that you can't really combo too much but need to do big damage? Use Overture power move.
*A highly mobile aerial target that is being a pain in the air? Use Rawhide power move.
*You want to extend the time that an enemy or boss is in a vulnerable state? Use Ragtime power move
*You finally got a boss stunned and want to do maximum possible damage? Use Buster arm power move (highest damage move in the game that I have seen so far)
*You just want to go ham with your Red Queen or you want to snipe enemies from afar? Use Tomboy power up state.
*You want to launch a mid size boss? Use Punchline power up state.
*Enemy has really tough shield/block? Use Helter Skelter.

If you feel you are about to be swarmed or hit while mid attack and can't jump out.. you can use the L1 Break Away move to forcefully break your arm and cause an explosion which has invincibility frames. This is also a way to fast switch to your next weapon if you really need it for the current situation (like the Buster arm).

Load outs are something that shine more when you know the mission layout, the enemy threats, boss properties and such. So it's something that is better on mission replay. But the game sort of gives you clues as to which Breakers you should be using in a mission or during/before a fight by having specific breakers lying around.

Last edited:

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Just beat Mission 12.
I'm kinda disappointed that you only use Sparda for 2 missions before getting DSD. Also Dante is incredibly overwhelming in this game, more so than even DMC4 IMO, especially with his weapons now having different modes that you have to manage on top of your styles. It's gonna take me a while to get used to switching Balrog's punch and kick mode mid-combo.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Completed mission 15 and I'm going to try to finish it after eating dinner real quick. Looking forward to jumping back into SoS tomorrow.

Also Cavaliere Angelo's boss theme was 10/10.

Oct 26, 2017
Died for the first time as Nero...DMD was a bad time to realize you're breakers dont get returned when you respawn at checkpoint

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I never thought about it too much, to be honest, I just used whatever I had. And nah, you have to destroy them if you want to switch to the next one.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I said this a few days ago and playing more hasn't changed my mind. I can't understand why the game won't let you cycle through your devil breakers on the fly. It just unnecessarily gimps Nero and makes him less fun to play.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Just beat the game. Wow, what a ride. So glad Nero got a DT. 10/10, sucks we have to wait for Bloody Palace but at least I got SOS and DMD to keep me busy

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
that at least has an easy solution, no doubling-up breakers and you can't switch with a breaker active.
If we can't switch with a breaker out, then it's no different from now, especially with training mode where they can be unbreakable.

No doubling up is interesting, because that would be trading one limit for another. We'd lose out on fully customizable loadouts(say we want to only focus on a few specific Breakers and their super for a boss).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wish they had more options for co op like chapter 13. It was short but I actually saw the guy fighting with me.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I dunno how this game reviewed as well as it did, honestly. I mean it's a fine game and I'm having fun but...

Environments are real boring
Combat is great when it works but bad when it doesn't (colossus boss I'm lookin ah you)
Lock on is garbage
Breaker is really cool except you can't switch them because ???
V is fun in theory but kinda boring in practice

I'm liking the game, but it's stuck in the early 2000s in its designs, and they don't translate well. I think it's cool that they made a classic DMC, but you gotta evolve some things imo.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
M13 is the only level where the player rating system justifies its presence in the game.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Now that people have experienced the game, does the 87 metacritic score sound about right? Too low? Too high?
Always interesting to see people's opinions after they beat a game instead of the shit show that is the review thread.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I dunno how this game reviewed as well as it did, honestly. I mean it's a fine game and I'm having fun but...

Combat is great when it works but bad when it doesn't (colossus boss I'm lookin ah you)
Lock on is garbage

I'm liking the game, but it's stuck in the early 2000s in its designs, and they don't translate well. I think it's cool that they made a classic DMC, but you gotta evolve some things imo.
Fans wanted classic dmc not a reimagining. The meta was accurate imo (outside that 6 score)

Having beat the game for me it's a solid 9. Story is a 8.5 due to a minor gripe endgame. It's game that you can feel the arcadey-ness which is refreshing in this day and age.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So.....

Someone at Capcom has some explaining to do:

giphy.gif

Now that people have experienced the game, does the 87 metacritic score sound about right? Too low? Too high?
Always interesting to see people's opinions after they beat a game instead of the shit show that is the review thread.
I think it's entirely up to the user preference. I think for casual players that's probably correct but for DMC fans DMC5 will rate quite a bit higher. A ton of enjoyment in the game is applying yourself by figuring out what you can do in the game and making your own fun with it. The game throws tools at you left and right so it's like a kid in a candy shop for a DMC fan. New players though will get overwhelmed and likely ignore most of the mechanics in the game, mashing their way through the game and the game is fairly easy even on default difficulty.

I think as far as reviews go... even reviewers can't deny the game play mechanics, the graphics and general high quality polish in the game. But there is definitely an old school feel to the game and the environments drag down the game quite a bit. So yeah I think high 80s, low 90s is a fair score but as a DMC game I would probably rate it higher personally (though I would wait on finishing DMD before giving my final verdict).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

to high imo. I would give this game a 8/10. It should be closer to a 80 metacritic as opposed to a 90 and I think a lot of those 9/10 reviews didn't even touch on the games short comings.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
What if those are bloody palace maps? A circular hell pit, a bridge, a ruined inner city/water(?) area?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It COULD be Bloody Palace and that's just the first mission boss level of BP.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Bloody Palace can't come soon enough. I need it now. There are only 3 out of the 20 missions I'm having good time returning to. And honestly only one of them is suitable enough for a bloody palace(sort of) replacement while the other two I'm just dealing with for some variety.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
In other words...

Oh I give it like 3 weeks until that happens

be it mods or

He's included with the BP update ;)

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
In other words...
That's amazing.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory really took Capcom to school when it comes to interesting environments like the Bob Barbas section, but I do prefer most of this game overall. But thinking back, there was so much creativity in those DMC locations, I mean damn.
Yep, it's extremely noticeable how lifeless and inactive the environments are in DMC5 compared to Ninja Theory's game. DmC has some incredibly interesting environments.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I beat the game last night. It was my first DMC and loved it, 15 hours of Kool-Aid Guy bursting through the wall screaming OHHHH YEEEEAHHHH as loud as he can. Has Capcom announced any DLC expansions?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing with V and dear god I love this more than Nero and his Devil Breakers.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat mission 11. It's super good, but I'm pretty sure I know where the story is going and I've never played a DMC before lol

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

Lock on is garbage

i guess ive learned this week id rather we keep getting more early 2000 games today than "modern" games

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the hate for V he's awesome to play as once you really get his controls down, feels completely different from the other two guys and his bird says fuck yeah while shooting lightning what more do you need?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Lock on is garbage

I only agree with the breaker comment, There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to switch breakers, and the breakers I pick up shouldn't go into the first slot.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This game is fucking amazing. Dante is EXHILARATING and I think I kept my eyes open for minutes during certain fights.

Also the scene from before chapter 13 had me DYING

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
For V i just imagine him as a test for Dragons Dogma 2 summoner so I may as well get used to him now ! lol

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the dpad not used at all to switch breakers?

I feel like this game is ignoring some very basic stuff for absolutely no reason at all.