• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say Promoting Nightmare is a pain in the ass because his turning circle sucks and he's so goddamn slow. On DND at least it's more efficient to leave him on autopilot. I also wish when you were promoting him the summons would go autopilots cos it's pretty hard to hit all three buttons at the same time while keeping track of timing combos for each of them

Mar 29, 2018
I did the first mission as V and have to say it didn't give the best impressions but seeing some gifs/videos (while trying to avoid spoilers) I'm hoping I will be able to improve with him a lot and change my opinion. With how good Nero is and how everyone seems to have such high praise for Dante, I can't imagine Itsuno and his team have created a character that's a complete failure of an experiment. I have faith I just need to get better and get more skills.

I think my problem so far is that these games are all about being stylish and accuracy plays a large part in that, but with V I find I'm mashing attack buttons hoping the summons hit the enemies and as a result, you don't feel very "stylish" at all. I also don't know if I should be using the square and triangle buttons at the same time, because it feels like I should do DPS, but that makes it difficult to do anything but button mash.
With V it's almost like a rhythm game. It's very clever and weirdly satisfying once it clicks. Definitely helps once you unlock a few skills as him though.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No because you need the L2 button do EX moves with your familiars. You have to press that button plus the familiar you want to charge up.

I would map Nightmare Summon to Square/X.

Oh yeah. I use those all the time too. L1 it is. It's crazy how default controls just aren't optimal for Nero and V.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Blocking the last boss' attacks with Royal Guard feels so good. One of my fave boss battles for sure.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta git gud at royal guard, i've never been any good at it

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
My only criticism with the game is that Nero's depth feels gimped by restricting you to using one Devil Breaker at a time and not letting you switch. Letting us switch freely would have easily opened him up more, as is he feels sorta restricted. Still fun, but meh. V is great, but the tracking of his animals feels wonky. Controlling them is fun and combos feel fantastic when you get them off, but there are times where Shadow attacks just out of range of an enemy, and the buffering on Griffons AOE blast is too easy to trigger.

With all that said, Dante is amazing as anyone would expect. He feels the most fun to play imo. Some of the bosses are sorta underwhelming as well (but most are fun) Neros new "buster" is pretty cool, and I enjoyed it on the enemies I used it on.

All in all, I think I prefer Bayo 2's grander scale. I think Bayonetta 3 will end up being right next to this game, and Astral Chain looks like it will elaborate on V's mechanics. With that DMC5 is an amazing game, and fun as all hell. I just don't think it creates as much hype for me personally in certain ways, but in other ways it does? Idk. My thoughts.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
My god the last boss does so much damage that it seems like the devs truly intended for you to guzzle gold orbs on this one

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I just can't figure out what the fuck is going on with Mission 18. Everything about this mission design on DH is butt and works against the S rank threshold. Enemy choices are really bad and few and far between, plus the main encounters themselves are not combat-friendly at all. I suspect it will be a lot better on SoS but on DH it is really bad. Not the challenging kind either, just downright too easy that it's not possible to put anything together that can sustain a good score long enough to get the points you need. Even if you can sustain an SSS for any individual battle, it's worth nawt in the grand scheme of things.

This is gonna take me a while to suss out.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few games that actually does feel like it has a lot heart behind it but just feels like it didn't step forward like it needed to. It's a decent DMC game that doesn't excel beyond that. Really curious as to why all the things they pulled from DmC they didn't take the more open and dynamic level design which felt like a step forward for the series. The tight corridors and arenas felt to small most of the time and didn't show a lot moving from point a to b. DmC felt like it had something to show/say between the arenas while DMCV felt like it just hit a pause between music tracks on a CD.

DmC didn't have a more open level design at all. It's just as linear as 5. The main difference is the invisible walls of 1-5 are mostly swapped out with barrier-less voids and bottomless pits.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say Promoting Nightmare is a pain in the ass because his turning circle sucks and he's so goddamn slow. On DND at least it's more efficient to leave him on autopilot. I also wish when you were promoting him the summons would go autopilots cos it's pretty hard to hit all three buttons at the same time while keeping track of timing combos for each of them
Glad I'm not the only one finding it to be a pain. I feel like Nightmare gets significantly more done when I'm not controlling him and he's no fun to control so I just left him to it now.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I was able to at least play mission 9 today. I'm trying to like V, I really am, but he's just so goddamn mashy and samey and sometimes boring. Shadow is boring to use. You just mash triangle three times. Or launch and mash triangle again, or mash triangle two different ways, or sometimes hold triangle. He also often teleports near me even when I don't dodge which is annoying because then I can't attack the enemy I was attacking. Griffon I don't mind because moves are slightly more interesting and he's the fire arm. Maybe he's more fun if you fight closer to your familiars so that they don't whiff as often and the battles feel more personal. I don't fucking know. He sucks. My SSS ranks never feel earned either.

Try launching and juggling with Griffon dive bomb, shots, and using grounded strikes from shadow. If you throw in some of the crazy combos you can do with Devil Trigger, V is capable of some INSANE stuff.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to alter shadow's positioning? Sometimes he'll pop up right next to an enemy after I lock-on, and others I'll have to wait for him to walk the distance.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to the Dante missions. He feels great. Love how much he has access to from the start and how easy it is to buy the things you really miss.

Really wish they got rid of the wonky platforming. Missed one area that I'm pretty sure can only be accessed by jumping off of Nightmare with V. Of course he got stuck on the geometry and then I didn't have DT to try again. I've also hit some really weird clipping/animation freezes while jumping against terrain. It just all feels very half baked.

It also kind of sucks how certain areas can only be accessed with Nightmare. And then I think I've found one of those areas, pop him, and I can't break through like I assumed I could.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
DmC didn't have a more open level design at all. It's just as linear as 5. The main difference is the invisible walls of 1-5 are mostly swapped out with barrier-less voids and bottomless pits.
The arenas were wider and open is what I meant. Walking down a corridor in DMCV is weirdly difficult and confusing looking especially in the demonic areas. DmC at least had some interesting scenery or environment set pieces along the way

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to alter shadow's positioning? Sometimes he'll pop up right next to an enemy after I lock-on, and others I'll have to wait for him to walk the distance.

This is my biggest problem with playing V. Shadow changes position randomly, and often will not move towards an enemy. What am I missing here? V's combat system feels incredibly unresponsive frankly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
V feels extremely novel, for better and for worse. I can usually get consistent S-ranks (though rarely SSS-ranks) in regular battle, but I feel like I lose control of him in boss battles a little too much. The second boss battle in particular is really all over the place. A lot of my concerns that he'd feel too gimmicky are so far holding true, I'm not sure I'd have much fun in optimizing his playstyle and getting better with him. Sure, when there's a bunch of mobs around I can go hog wild playing it like a Dynasty Warriors game, but when it comes to finesse it all feels a little too intangible.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This is a really good primer on how to get SSS rank combos in DMC5. IGN doing really well on the DMC5 content front.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I was hoping to get the trophy for getting all the skills for each character didn't mean you had to buy EX Provocation which is 3,000,000 orbs. It's going to take forever. :'(

Oct 26, 2017
My god the last boss does so much damage that it seems like the devs truly intended for you to guzzle gold orbs on this one
lol people deffo gonna not be enjoying the presence of mtx if they see his SoS form
I was hoping to get the trophy for getting all the skills for each character didn't mean you had to buy EX Provocation which is 3,000,000 orbs. It's going to take forever. :'(
$$$$$

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's this.

My God, man. They need to put an official rip of this soundtrack online.

I'm partial for this one cause I've been dying to here a good devil trigger remix.

edit: also I'm pretty sure this isn't complete and is just an incomplete direct rip.

Last edited:

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Finished this a few hours ago btw, really liked it for the most part, but the Lady/Trish stuff (especially Lady) honestly disappointed the fuck out of me. Not like I was expecting them to do much, but if they were going to serve no purpose other than literally getting naked I'd rather they have just left them out of the game entirely.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
SoS should've been there since day one, Jesus it's a drastically different game. Enemy placements, enemies with new moves, way more challenging.

Feels like DH was just training wheels and to have people beat the game.

SoS is the real game.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is my biggest problem with playing V. Shadow changes position randomly, and often will not move towards an enemy. What am I missing here? V's combat system feels incredibly unresponsive frankly.
V feels extremely novel, for better and for worse. I can usually get consistent S-ranks (though rarely SSS-ranks) in regular battle, but I feel like I lose control of him in boss battles a little too much. The second boss battle in particular is really all over the place. A lot of my concerns that he'd feel too gimmicky are so far holding true, I'm not sure I'd have much fun in optimizing his playstyle and getting better with him. Sure, when there's a bunch of mobs around I can go hog wild playing it like a Dynasty Warriors game, but when it comes to finesse it all feels a little too intangible.
I quite like him when the summons are where I expect them to be, but they often aren't. I think I'm going ham and I look closer to see shadow whipping the air lol
Using Vs kill move when an enemy isn't dead will get yyou closer to the enemy and makes it easier to control shadow
I'll try this. I was playing V very far on occasion.
If that isn't the best taunt of all time, I will send a strongly worded email.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
SoS V is stilll super mashy. I feel like he could have really used a legit third button summon, nightmare seems best left in autopilot to just keep nuking the screen.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
lol people deffo gonna not be enjoying the presence of mtx if they see his SoS form

$$$$$
I will never turn to the dark side!
Finished this a few hours ago btw, really liked it for the most part, but the Lady/Trish stuff (especially Lady) honestly disappointed the fuck out of me. Not like I was expecting them to do much, but if they were going to serve no purpose other than literally getting naked I'd rather they have just left them out of the game entirely.
Yeah they were done real dirty. Hoping they make up for it with DLC featuring them.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
GUNSLINGER IS THE ANSWER

Ebony and Ivory alone changes the entire ballgame for maintaining SSS ranking and just general score points when using the down-forward O move (it's weak but it fires so fast it's always contributing and ramping your score up which is the main thing on easy difficulties). It single-handedly helped me smash past the S rank threshold for mission 18. Added bonus is that it stuns the FUCK out of the primary enemies you fight (barring the last one of course) so you can no-hit them with ease whilst still keeping S+ ranks flowing.

WUNDERBAR!

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PC players discovered something interesting with Cheat Engine: When enabling infinite health for playable characters, an error occurs where a certain boss also gets infinite health, indicating that this character seems to share pointers with them.
In other words...
Playable Vergil seemingly confirmed.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PC players discovered something interesting with Cheat Engine: When enabling infinite health for playable characters, an error occurs where a certain boss also gets infinite health, indicating that this character seems to share pointers with them.
In other words...
Playable Vergil seemingly confirmed.
Tha'ts pretty god damn hilarious LOL!