• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this game just now. I think my biggest disappointment with this game is the artstyle and the environments, the game has an amazing engine and the starting few levels look great and so does the last 5% of it. But the rest is just...man so damn bad. It's your typical biomass goo shit artstyle, kinda like Destiny's hive aesthetic but with 20 times less imagination and creativity put into it. I hate this particular aesthetic because it takes away the colours, making eveyrthing look all the same and the textures themselves are so blobby and lacking detail. I liked DMC4's environments so much more.

Another thing being the amazing physics and destruction you see in first few levels are basically missing for the rest of the game...and this is again due to the artstyle where it wouldn't make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting really close to finishing the game and I gotta say the wait was definitely worth it.
My only real complain is that the environment variety feels the weakest of the 4 game, and that includes DMC4 which reused all of its maps for the second half lol.
Everything just kinda looks samey.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Finally finished it. And what an incredible game!

I've always been a big DMC fan and I was happy with just how familiar it felt' playing as Nero and Dante, it all came back pretty quickly. And V was a surprise- I wasn't sure how he'd be, but he ended up playing really well. Trying to control both familiars while simultaneously moving/dodging with V was a really interesting mechanic and I enjoyed him. At one stage when you had to choose between playing either him or Nero, I actually chose V. Surprised myself! In order of which characters I enjoyed the most, I'd say it was Dante > V > Nero.

It was a little easier than I expected. I felt like the game just throws golden orbs at you, I was getting them in-game, when turning the game on, and for being 'rated' by other players, but playing on Devil Hunter I actually didn't need to use a single one and got mostly S Ranks on all the levels. The later stages were definitely tougher but by then you have the skills and equipment to handle it. I'm already starting another playthrough on the harder difficulty though and can't wait to give it all another try.

Graphically, sound. Dante's remodel is GOAT, he looks great, as do all the others. Would have liked to see more varied environments but it still looked great, and the combat was so satisfying I didn't really spend much time admiring the scenery anyhow. And the music was brilliant. One of the tracks that plays near the end, I really need to find that and give it a longer listen! And Nero's tune is probably the best of the lot, too.

You're doing good, Capcom. You're doing real good.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So maybe a dumb question and sorry if asked already, but do any of the environmental objects (cars, bins) have red orbs?

Feel like I recall breaking everything in the environment for red orbs in past games or maybe I'm thinking back more to halos in Bayonetta. Just want to know if I'm wasting my time trashing everything.
It doesn't seem like there are any red orbs to get in breakable objects anymore. I still find it fun to smash everything though lol.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Getting really close to finishing the game and I gotta say the wait was definitely worth it.
My only real complain is that the environment variety feels the weakest of the 4 game, and that includes DMC4 which reused all of its maps for the second half lol.
Everything just kinda looks samey.
Yea the whole game is just goo land. Changing white goo to red goo and then to purple goo is not enough change.
I dont like using the lazy dev rhetoric but this particular style in environment design is the laziest as the textures are just blobby and models are angular as fuck with random strokes.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
V has officially cemented his place in my heart as one of the best characters in the series.

...that scissor ghost clearly wasn't as big a fan, though...

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
On a humorous note, I want to ship Nero and Lady so hard now.

On a serious note, (Mission 18 spoilers)

Dang, Lady is still pretty fucked up after offing Arkham after all these years.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I just got to the first mission with Dante and my god does he get a lot of really fun tools right out the gate.

Oct 26, 2017
They should of just added a 3rd pet instead of a clunky devil trigger. Like something to do air juggles with, whilst you charge the panther other than spamming bullets.

I'm hoping there is some Trish and Lady DLC. I had a lot of fun playing as them in DMC4:SE. Even just having them playable for the whole story would be awesome.
I mean that tease was unreal if theres not. Guess will find out in April, watching that scene nets you a trophy about a accepting a new mission.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Nice OT!

Can't wait for my deluxe steelbook edition to arrive!

SeparatePhonyHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
Deluxe steelbook!? How!/

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I loved fucking everything about it. Gameplay was fantastic and the story was the best in the series. It had everything I wanted in a new DMC. While all 3 were fun, I ended up liking Nero the least and V the most. Dante was crazy fun and my favorite iteration of him thus far but I loooooooved playing as V. Legit my favorite character to play in the whole 'character action' genre. I cannot wait to spend hours with him in BP when it drops.

I really hope BP has co-op because the few moments where you fight along other players were so much fun.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm up to chapter 9 and I still don't really understand the timing for Nero's exceed mechanic. Guess I will leave that for the second run.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
After playing this game for a few hours I can honestly say this game is not for me, thr graphis are ok but yeah I can't stand it, I am just glad I avoided thr past 4 entries.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I really go ham with the devil breakers ? I accidentally detonated all of them bc I wasn't familiar with the controls. I don't like that they break but it looks like they're all over the place.
You can use them sparingly. If there is a fight you think that will be too intense, use the Breaker super move to clear the crowd or do big damage to the boss.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have lot of loading screens for everybody else? PS4 Pro here. They're not long but kinda omnipresent

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Can I really go ham with the devil breakers ? I accidentally detonated all of them bc I wasn't familiar with the controls. I don't like that they break but it looks like they're all over the place.

yeah they're all over the ground basically and earning enough money to buy them from nico is trivial. Experiment!

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this would happen. Happened in DMC4 and it's happening now. Got to play as Dante and I wish I was playing as Nero instead, I find him so much more fun to play than Dante. I guess I like the exceed system and his moveset better

Yep, me too. I guess it's a testament to Itsuno and the team's design though that they made Dante so awesome in DMC3, and then they made Nero so fun that you don't want to play the original lead.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to at least play mission 9 today. I'm trying to like V, I really am, but he's just so goddamn mashy and samey and sometimes boring. Shadow is boring to use. You just mash triangle three times. Or launch and mash triangle again, or mash triangle two different ways, or sometimes hold triangle. He also often teleports near me even when I don't dodge which is annoying because then I can't attack the enemy I was attacking. Griffon I don't mind because moves are slightly more interesting and he's the fire arm. Maybe he's more fun if you fight closer to your familiars so that they don't whiff as often and the battles feel more personal. I don't fucking know. He sucks. My SSS ranks never feel earned either.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to at least play mission 9 today. I'm trying to like V, I really am, but he's just so goddamn mashy and samey and sometimes boring. Shadow is boring to use. You just mash triangle three times. Or launch and mash triangle again, or mash triangle two different ways, or sometimes hold triangle. He also often teleports near me even when I don't dodge which is annoying because then I can't attack the enemy I was attacking. Griffon I don't mind because moves are slightly more interesting and he's the fire arm. Maybe he's more fun if you fight closer to your familiars so that they don't whiff as often and the battles feel more personal. I don't fucking know. He sucks. My SSS ranks never feel earned either.
You are SUPPOSED to be fighting close to enemies while reading the book because that's how you gain Devil Trigger.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like using the lazy dev rhetoric but this particular style in environment design is the laziest
I mean I don't think it's the devs fault really. I also don't think it's lazy, it's just that the story doesn't really branch out past the city / the tree so it's not like they can really give us a huge variety. But man I wish there was definitely more variety.

DMC3 took place almost completely within temen ni gru but despite there being a lot of grey and red rooms there was a decent bit of variety in the locations. DMC1 taking place on mallet island also had a decent bit of variety since the castle had all sorts of different hallways. DMC4 had you going from a city, to a snowy area to a castle to the jungle to a holy cathedral complex and then all the way back to the start lol.

Mar 29, 2018
It matches you with players online that apparently play other sections of the level or something like that, but even when you turn it off the AI takes over but still brings up that annoying message.
Trust me when I tell you every button gets used.

To elaborate on that, you'll see The DMC Crew which is developer ghost data, and I've seen my user name and "Devil May Cry" used interchangeably to refer to my own recorded ghost data/avatar profile when I'm offline. The distinction is kind of nice to know, but it really ought to fade if you're offline after a few seconds.
Yeah I had a moment as V where I looked over to one side and saw Nero fighting on the ruined rooftops where I'd just been... And I could have sworn he was fighting exactly how I fought. The way he ran around and explored after the fight too.

So that would have been my ghost data? Does it ever load you with other players'?

Insanely cool if so. Although I'd love it if the UI notice was slightly less intrusive.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Hit the 6 hour mark. So far the game is pretty lackluster I'm afraid. The bosses were uninteresting and still feel like I'm monstly just smashing buttons. Especially with V.

I'm new to the series so I expected a bump ride in the beginning so I'm far from giving up on the game, but I thought I would have had more fun by now.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think it's the devs fault really. I also don't think it's lazy, it's just that the story doesn't really branch out past the city / the tree so it's not like they can really give us a huge variety. But man I wish there was definitely more variety.

DMC3 took place almost completely within temen ni gru but despite there being a lot of grey and red rooms there was a decent bit of variety in the locations. DMC1 taking place on mallet island also had a decent bit of variety since the castle had all sorts of different hallways. DMC4 had you going from a city, to a snowy area to a castle to the jungle to a holy cathedral complex and then all the way back to the start lol.

It's a demon tree. That thing could have been like seven different art styles if they wanted. If you stepped through a blood vein and it dumped you into a dimension made of pizza I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's very clear that they put the primary focus on game play mechanics, character models, graphics, bosses/enemies, making sure that the pacing is tight, story/cutscenes, OST audio design and general fan service. Everything else is like a 9 or 10 but the environments stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise high quality game.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have lot of loading screens for everybody else? PS4 Pro here. They're not long but kinda omnipresent
Loading is only present going in and out of menus. So ending cutscene, loading, mission menu, loading, intro cutscene, gameplay.

The levels themselves are seamless. Just really in the in between.

Mar 29, 2018
I really love the art throughout, I think it does a good job of staying as varied as it can in a very urban and industrial setting

However it really feels like they need to go back to the roots in the next one. Needs to go proper heavy and gothic.

(3 and 4 might have gone there but it's been so, so long since I played them I honestly can't remember.)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
It's very clear that they put the primary focus on game play mechanics, character models, graphics, bosses/enemies, making sure that the pacing is tight, story/cutscenes, OST audio design and general fan service. Everything else is like a 9 or 10 but the environments stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise high quality game.

like i've said before given that my preferred level design would have been a flat disk floating in the sky I don't mind that much, lol. But it would have been nice.

If ya'lls could ask Itsuno anything, what would you ask him? Besides about Lady and Trish, because that's what I would ask him.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I did the first mission as V and have to say it didn't give the best impressions but seeing some gifs/videos (while trying to avoid spoilers) I'm hoping I will be able to improve with him a lot and change my opinion. With how good Nero is and how everyone seems to have such high praise for Dante, I can't imagine Itsuno and his team have created a character that's a complete failure of an experiment. I have faith I just need to get better and get more skills.

I think my problem so far is that these games are all about being stylish and accuracy plays a large part in that, but with V I find I'm mashing attack buttons hoping the summons hit the enemies and as a result, you don't feel very "stylish" at all. I also don't know if I should be using the square and triangle buttons at the same time, because it feels like I should do DPS, but that makes it difficult to do anything but button mash.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about the book. Is it safe to map it to L2? I had it as square because Griffin is on R2 and it was hard to attack and read at the same time.
No because you need the L2 button do EX moves with your familiars. You have to press that button plus the familiar you want to charge up.

I would map Nightmare Summon to Square/X.

Jintor said:
If ya'lls could ask Itsuno anything, what would you ask him? Besides about Lady and Trish, because that's what I would ask him.
That no one on the dev team thought the environments in second half looked kinda wack?

Ok real question I would ask is that
why he picked Cerberus as a returning weapon/boss as opposed to Agni and Rudra or Nevan?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
DmC had a good idea going with some of the environments looking wild, most notably the rainbow lsd disco place. If you're gonna be super linear, give me some wild looking shit.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Also, can someone explain to my what is the "starring" thing? And sometimes the game ask me to rate another player? I gather someone is playing the other character? But I can't even see them to rate them... is it something obvious that I'm missing?