• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This is one of the few games that actually does feel like it has a lot heart behind it but just feels like it didn't step forward like it needed to. It's a decent DMC game that doesn't excel beyond that. Really curious as to why all the things they pulled from DmC they didn't take the more open and dynamic level design which felt like a step forward for the series. The tight corridors and arenas felt to small most of the time and didn't show a lot moving from point a to b. DmC felt like it had something to show/say between the arenas while DMCV felt like it just hit a pause between music tracks on a CD.

Mar 29, 2018
It's annoying only being able to dodge while locked on. I finally get the complaint now.

It's especially odd because there are a couple of unused buttons on the controller, IIRC.

Still, truly amazing game.

Also does anyone have the "Left stick click to change lock-on" system not work for them? Whenever I click the left stick nothing happens. I have to release and press lock-on to change target. Left stick still works for holding to see objective.

Never played a DMC game before and want to play this. Not in a rush so I think I'll purchase the HD collection and 4 on my PS4 tonight, excited to get into the series! This one looks amazing btw
I'm not a huge fan of the series, but like all the games (even 2).

This one is another thing though. Even if you don't get the gameplay at all the spectacle is just crazy. Absolutely gorgeous. And there are so many quality of life improvements it's absurd.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished Devil Hunter, and I liked the game overall.

-Dante and V were really fun and intuitive to use. I was less into Nero, probably because I never got that into Exceed or the more complex breakers.

-Difficulty was... weird. The first 85% of the game is really easy, and then the last three or four bosses are like "Hey, hope you mastered all of the mechanics you haven't even come close to needing up until this point!" Very strange spike, but not that unusual for the series, I guess.

-Story was whatever. I liked Dante and Nico, V and his summons were cool too, but the overall plotline was pretty dry. The treatment of Lady and Trish was sophomoric as hell, but I guess that fits with the "middle-schooler's idea of cool and sexy" we're used to by now.

-Environment variety was weak, lack of meaningful unlocks for NG+ was disappointing.

It was fun while it lasted, but I don't really feel compelled to replay the game. The combat was great, and I look forward to seeing how it translates to Dragon's Dogma 2, since I just don't feel the rest of the game matches it's quality at all.

Probably an 8/10 for me.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Finished Devil Hunter, and I liked the game overall.

-Dante and V were really fun and intuitive to use. I was less into Nero, probably because I never got that into Exceed or the more complex breakers.

-Difficulty was... weird. The first 85% of the game is really easy, and then the last three or four bosses are like "Hey, hope you mastered all of the mechanics you haven't even come close to needing up until this point!" Very strange spike, but not that unusual for the series, I guess.

-Story was whatever. I liked Dante and Nico, V and his summons were cool too, but the overall plotline was pretty dry. The treatment of Lady and Trish was sophomoric as hell, but I guess that fits with the "middle-schooler's idea of cool and sexy" we're used to by now.

-Environment variety was weak.

It was fun while it lasted, but I don't really feel compelled to replay the game. The combat was great, and I look forward to seeing how it translates to Dragon's Dogma 2, since I just don't feel the rest of the game matches it's quality at all.

Probably an 8/10 for me.

normal mode is really not so good, play through Son of Sparda, game starts there. unfortunately many players won´t even do that which is more or less a disservice to the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno DMC3 had this spike on the first real boss lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
God, I'll finally get to play as Dante, so excited. Even stopped playing for a bit, the real Devil May Cry starts here!

Loving the game so far.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So I was playing as V and hit taunt and it started playing Ride of the Valkyries. Tried getting that taunt again and nothing, did I do something special?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these blue orbs are weird. Just busted through a floor fighting enemies in chapter 4 and found one I missed before, lol.

SoS Nero is a fucking blast.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Going back to Devil Hunter is crazy, I forgot some enemies die within two to three hits. SOS really should have been selectable from the start.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
normal mode is really not so good, play through Son of Sparda, game starts there. unfortunately many players won´t even do that which is more or less a disservice to the game.
I kind of don't want to either, to be honest. If there's no new content to be seen, and my characters are close to being maxed-out already, then it's just playing for the challenge.

I'm left feeling exactly as I did prerelease: Positive on the game, but still really disappointed that they didn't change things up at all since 2008.

Dunno DMC3 had this spike on the first real boss lmao.
Yeah, but the last boss was on a different level in that game too. I do think DMC3 did a better job of preparing you for it, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen. Happened in DMC4 and it's happening now. Got to play as Dante and I wish I was playing as Nero instead, I find him so much more fun to play than Dante. I guess I like the exceed system and his moveset better

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Mission 18 is giving me throwbacks to Mission 10 (even worse actually) in terms of S rank. There's not a lot to work with here on DH and the main encounters barring the final one are tricky to get things going. This'll take some time...

Oct 26, 2017
I just unlocked the additional cutscenes for doing well in the credits fight.
BP will continue the story, lady and trish are on their way
Otherwise that ending was the biggest tease wtf

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Also does anyone have the "Left stick click to change lock-on" system not work for them? Whenever I click the left stick nothing happens. I have to release and press lock-on to change target. Left stick still works for holding to see objective.

What I noticed is that it doesn't work if the stick is not in neutral position, but it will work in neutral. Really weird and I hope it's just a bug.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is the strategy with the power gloves? It seems really weird that you are supposed to plan out what you need with no knowledge of what you will be facing...

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I did it in the end. I honestly can't tell you what I did differently really on the final attempt to the 5 or so before it other than try to get hit less and maintain your S+ rank through each battle once you get it. Utilize your DT as even though you get hit you get to maintain your ranking a bit better than without it activated. When I viewed the ranking page at the end the three main encounters had skill scores of 4200/4400 give or take but the 1.20 bonus pushed it over the 5000 threshold. If I had did it without taking a single hit I'd have smashed it but the mission started to piss me off a bit that I didn't concentrate to that level lol.

I've S ranked nearly every mission on DH but that one is still the absolute worst. The choice of enemies and DH's easy difficulty are not a good combination for keeping enemies alive (as odd as that sounds). :/
Just got it. Used only the balrog. It's weird, it wasn't even my best run, got BAA in the 3 areas. Glad that's over lol.
D1QWAOlXcAA_G7b.jpg
Just got it, dunno what I did differently, but it's over now lol. Weird level.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
How to unlock a certain costume.

So there is an EX costume for V. Apparently you need to beat Devil Hunter mission 19 and 20 without dying then perform well on both of the end credits (Nico compliments you and Dante says he won over Vergil).

I just unlocked this by beating only mission 20 and I unlocked a taunt for Nero.

Oct 25, 2017
This cameo thing appearing on the left side of the screen is annoying the heck out of me. I turned off matchmaking but it still says starting "the dmc crew" is there any way to get rid of this?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried to start mission 3 and it's trying to get me to sign up for PlayStation plus? WTF is this?

It won't let me proceed with the game... guess I'll restart?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
What is the strategy with the power gloves? It seems really weird that you are supposed to plan out what you need with no knowledge of what you will be facing...
In the customisation menu when selecting your loadout you can press triangle/Y to use the recommended set for that mission. I don't think it's essential though to have the right set going into a mission, there are usually enough lying around in the mission to keep you going.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I completely spoiled myself for Missions 18-20 with the leaks, but I am still hyped as fuck like I never even saw them.

HOLY FUCK HIS REVEAL WAS LEGIT AS FUCK

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen. Happened in DMC4 and it's happening now. Got to play as Dante and I wish I was playing as Nero instead, I find him so much more fun to play than Dante. I guess I like the exceed system and his moveset better
opposiute for me..finally they made me play as dante and i hope i don't go back to v or nero ever again

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I just tried to start mission 3 and it's trying to get me to sign up for PlayStation plus? WTF is this?

It won't let me proceed with the game... guess I'll restart?
It's trying to matchmake you with other players, you can just back out and then (from what I remember) it asks you if you want to change your network settings to "limited". That's what I did.

Oct 27, 2017
Happens to me as well. Apparently it's a bug :(

Yeah it's almost certainly a bug. Happens to me too on PS4.

I've heard going to the jukebox and setting it manually works for some people. With me it seems like it didn't start working until I set in manually, then UN-set it. Thing is, it came back after that but I don't know if that was because I was on a later mission (it came back at like 16 for me I think?) or because of the jukebox thing. I've also had Dante's music get messed up too, but I also manually set it, so maybe if I un-set it it'll work again?

Or Capcom could fix the bug. That would be nice. Not something you'd think would make it through to the console version.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with starting out with DMC5 to be honest. Might even be interesting to play the old ones afterwards to get more context for the story etc instead? Not sure since I obviously didn't experience in that way myself, but it could be cool :P

Can't go wrong either way!
I'm not a huge fan of the series, but like all the games (even 2).

This one is another thing though. Even if you don't get the gameplay at all the spectacle is just crazy. Absolutely gorgeous. And there are so many quality of life improvements it's absurd.

Hmm okay. I'll decide soon whether to start with this one or not!

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's especially odd because there are a couple of unused buttons on the controller, IIRC.
Trust me when I tell you every button gets used.

It matches you with players online that apparently play other sections of the level or something like that, but even when you turn it off the AI takes over but still brings up that annoying message.

To elaborate on that, you'll see The DMC Crew which is developer ghost data, and I've seen my user name and "Devil May Cry" used interchangeably to refer to my own recorded ghost data/avatar profile when I'm offline. The distinction is kind of nice to know, but it really ought to fade if you're offline after a few seconds.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Any graphics experts here?
I just got the game on linux too in addition to my ps4 and I see it has an option for srgb and bt.709.
From my limited knowledge I would think srgb should be best but I think it looks way too bright and is actually much prettier with bt.709. The default is srgb.

What is the difference between those colour spaces really? I can't find much about it on the internet except some claim bt.709 is limited to TV colour ranges (16-235) and srgb is the full (0-255) but that can't really be right either as my pc outputs the full colour range to my monitor.
I never heard of a PC that outputs the limited range.

bt.709 does look a lot more like it does on my PS4 and I know that is outputting the full range. srgb just looks off..

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I don't really get Griffon's Double Check move. The level 3 version says it does 3 in a row, but when I use it he only shoots one . Am I supposed to mash the attack three times in quick succession or am I doing it wrong?

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wonder how much this game will be moddable on pc..i mean,adding things like switching devil arms on the fly is impossible?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Been playing the game on and off since release and enjoying so far. But I gotta say the formula needs a shake up. A similar sequel will get stale.
Of all playable characters Nero is my favorite because of the build system. V get confusing at time and the combat does not feel rewarding. Dante is Dante.
I really like the ambient sound they put in the subway level.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I just unlocked the additional cutscenes for doing well in the credits fight.
BP will continue the story, lady and trish are on their way
Otherwise that ending was the biggest tease wtf
I'm hoping there is some Trish and Lady DLC. I had a lot of fun playing as them in DMC4:SE. Even just having them playable for the whole story would be awesome.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always bad at character action game, but I've played DMC 4 on human mode and it was pretty much a cakewalk. So I thought, I'd step it up a little and went with the demon hunter difficulty.

Bad choice, got my ass handed to me already by the second boss.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
So maybe a dumb question and sorry if asked already, but do any of the environmental objects (cars, bins) have red orbs?

Feel like I recall breaking everything in the environment for red orbs in past games or maybe I'm thinking back more to halos in Bayonetta. Just want to know if I'm wasting my time trashing everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when I tell you every button gets used.

To elaborate on that, you'll see The DMC Crew which is developer ghost data, and I've seen my user name and "Devil May Cry" used interchangeably to refer to my own recorded ghost data/avatar profile when I'm offline. The distinction is kind of nice to know, but it really ought to fade if you're offline after a few seconds.

Sometimes it sits up there for like 30 seconds, I don't understand it's purpose if I turned match making off for that to be there cluttering the screen.