• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just played the demo for the first time, and was in awe.
I am now downloading the full game on my Xbox One X right now.
Damn Capcom! First RE 7, then RE2 and now this? Insane! All my money for you guys.

I am a little bit scared though, I had no real idea of what I was doing and I refuse to play in an assist mode.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just played the demo for the first time, and was in awe.
I am now downloading the full game on my Xbox One X right now.
Damn Capcom! First RE 7, then RE2 and now this? Insane! All my money for you guys.

I am a little bit scared though, I had no real idea of what I was doing and I refuse to play in an assist mode.
You will be fine playing Devil Hunter, its not a hard game at all.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Wait, people are seriously saying they're not going to play it because of the Faust Hat scene? It's a fucking dance, not some commentary on what sort of person MJ was...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding that one scene, there was actually an interview that had this tidbit about the origins of the idea for that scene:
XMyXzbd.png

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone been able to S rank Mission 10 on Devil Hunter?

I don't know what I'm missing here, even getting an SSS combo on each fight still ends the mission with an A...

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused about playing as V, using Goliath. Do I control Goliath at all? Or does he just come in and wreck shit, and then leave? I see that you can upgrade him with combos, but those attacks are with the O button on PS4.

I'm confused.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I'm confused about playing as V, using Goliath. Do I control Goliath at all? Or does he just come in and wreck shit, and then leave? I see that you can upgrade him with combos, but those attacks are with the O button on PS4.

I'm confused.
It's automatic, you don't have control over him. there is an upgrade, though that lets V ride him and manually perform combos with him.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I'm confused.
To control him you need to jump on his back. Otherwise he just does what he wants.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm confused.
You can buy an upgrade that lets you jump on it's back and manually control it. It's in V's abilities tab on the upgrade screen.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
It's automatic, you don't have control over him. there is an upgrade, though that lets V ride him and manually perform combos with him.
To control him you need to jump on his back. Otherwise he just does what he wants.
You can buy an upgrade that lets you jump on it's back and manually control it. It's in V's abilities tab on the upgrade screen.

Thanks

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Man I'm not good at this. Not getting S ranks in fights very often. Had one mission at S rank only so far.

As a first time DMC player, the dodging is just not really my thing.

At least I'm having fun, but cant help but feel bad about not playing very well.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished mission 12, obviously the combat is great but yeah the environments are really lacking.

DMC4 had some amazing architecture and vistas and the enemies had a great "fallen angel" vibe. This is just demon-infested everything. Blood and blades and growths everywhere.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017

I don't know what I'm missing here, even getting an SSS combo on each fight still ends the mission with an A...

I did it in the end. I honestly can't tell you what I did differently really on the final attempt to the 5 or so before it other than try to get hit less and maintain your S+ rank through each battle once you get it. Utilize your DT as even though you get hit you get to maintain your ranking a bit better than without it activated. When I viewed the ranking page at the end the three main encounters had skill scores of 4200/4400 give or take but the 1.20 bonus pushed it over the 5000 threshold. If I had did it without taking a single hit I'd have smashed it but the mission started to piss me off a bit that I didn't concentrate to that level lol.

I've S ranked nearly every mission on DH but that one is still the absolute worst. The choice of enemies and DH's easy difficulty are not a good combination for keeping enemies alive (as odd as that sounds). :/

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Man I'm not good at this. Not getting S ranks in fights very often. Had one mission at S rank only so far.

At least I'm having fun, but cant help but feel bad about not playing very well.
If you're having fun, then it's gonna come naturally :)
I was a scrub at DMC4 (it was my first) and I ended up getting S on every mission, difficulty and Bloody Palace. I got 1000G's on 360 :)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

When new to any character action series you should never worry about rankings. You'll have plenty of time to improve them once you've beaten the game and have a better grasp on the mechanics and more abilities at your disposal (everything you buy carries back to previous missions).

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I fucking love playing as Nero. I would happily take a game where he's the only playable character throughout a whole game. Dante's my OG baby but Nero feels so right. I would have zero complaints.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Played the first two missions, I'm having a lot of fun with this but still need to get the dodge timing down. This feels like classic Devil May Cry especially tonally. I love Nero and Nico so far.

Never going to be able to see V as anything but Emo Adam Driver, though.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I made it to mission 11 in one sitting. Man, the game is really fun and I love the way the story is told through the various characters. The graphics are stunning as well (RE Engine is a beast), I don't get the complaints. My only gripe so far is the somewhat lukewarm environments, the game could use a bit more variety in that regard.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I love fighting those scissors ghosts things. Ghost enemies are so fun for enemy step

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Getting my V options out of the way asap. He is so wack compared to Nero n Dante. High key I hope when we get to DMC6, alternative characters are just unlockables, because I'd prefer a 20 mission run of just a tricked out Nero or a tricked out Dante. That said game bangs. That battle theme for the Cavalier boss? Ooooooooooo

Oct 25, 2017
Also running it strictly with Royalguard on which makes it feel even better. The synergy there is just incredible and feels so natural in the way it all flows together.
GOD I'm too tired to play more tonight but it's really hard to resist after reading something like this... hnnnnngh.

Tbh I kinda thought to myself .... Man, what bad timing. All because of that hbo documentary. But I don't think they should patch it out or anything. Just unfortunate timing.
I know what you mean but, assuming the allegations are true, the documentary isn't the cause of the problem here - it's that dude being a friggin' pedophile :P

The "I can't stay in S-Rank" bug, perhaps? ;)

Wait, people are seriously saying they're not going to play it because of the Faust Hat scene? It's a fucking dance, not some commentary on what sort of person MJ was...

Meh, if someone feels uncomfortable playing a game featuring that they are well within their rights to both complain about it and not purchase the game. Maybe there will be a mod on PC that removes it, or I guess one could skip the cutscene if they know when it plays? I think there's zero chance Capcom will patch it out either way.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
just got the chance to gain some abilities for the first time.. what are some must haves in your opinion yall?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
just got the chance to gain some abilities for the first time.. what are some must haves in your opinion yall?
Air Hike (double jump)
Enemy Step (lets you jump off enemy heads basically letting you stay in the air forever)
Speed
Wire Snatch 2 & 3 (Increases the range of your grapple)
Streak
Calibur
Shuffle
Roulette
the first gun upgrade
A devil breaker cpacity upgrade or two
A health upgrade or two

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been watching some HDR Xbox One X videos on Youtube and this game looks damn impressive. The quality of games released over the past few months (aside from Anthem) has been crazy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know this game isn't gonna hold hands for combos but damn Dantes kit feels overwhelming compared to Nero's.

I guess I could do the same combo like I've always done since DMC1 but what fun is that?

Oct 25, 2017
When new to any character action series you should never worry about rankings. You'll have plenty of time to improve them once you've beaten the game and have a better grasp on the mechanics and more abilities at your disposal (everything you buy carries back to previous missions).

Aaah, the good old days of Stone ranks on every single verse in Bayonetta 1.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

Just got it. Used only the balrog. It's weird, it wasn't even my best run, got BAA in the 3 areas. Glad that's over lol.
D1QWAOlXcAA_G7b.jpg

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a DMC game before and want to play this. Not in a rush so I think I'll purchase the HD collection and 4 on my PS4 tonight, excited to get into the series! This one looks amazing btw

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I know this game isn't gonna hold hands for combos but damn Dantes kit feels overwhelming compared to Nero's.

I guess I could do the same combo like I've always done since DMC1 but what fun is that?
What I did is I just chose two weapons I liked and ignored the rest. Even with just a subsection of his kit Dante feels great.

Mar 5, 2019
After finishing the game I changed the controls for the first time in a DMC game...

because I kept breaking arms when trying to activate Nero's DT.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a DMC game before and want to play this. Not in a rush so I think I'll purchase the HD collection and 4 on my PS4 tonight, excited to get into the series! This one looks amazing btw
I don't think there's anything wrong with starting out with DMC5 to be honest. Might even be interesting to play the old ones afterwards to get more context for the story etc instead? Not sure since I obviously didn't experience in that way myself, but it could be cool :P

Can't go wrong either way!

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Why does Devil trigger stop playing in like chapter 8? I set it to be the battle music but still nothing.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
just finished it. Wow. blew away all my expectations. It's the sequel to DMC 4 that i've been waiting 10 years for.

I didn't expect them to do go all the way, both in terms of gameplay and story.

environmental variety is the only real negative. everything sorta looks the same. But the level design is way less frustrating, so i'm happy about it overall.

My favourite DMC game, and one of my favourite games of all time.