• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to rant on Mission 14 a little bit, but I was dumb and forgot something very critical about V

Once you have enough of the DT gauge, DT isn't just about using it to pop off with Nightmare for a bit; Griffon and Shadow can do a shit ton of damage if you super charge them with your DT as well

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see myself purchasing this until it's removed
If that's all it takes for you to not purchase the game I very much doubt you were planning on doing so anytime soon. Or you just have incredibly odd,
creepy
priorities. There's a thread for that subject though. Try not to derail the OT.

I literally cannot understand how anyone likes playing as V. It's just button mashing.
ALL the characters can beat the game via button mashing. Only thing I'll agree on is that V's style ranking is seemingly a bit more forgiving than Dante and Nero.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
gotta say, i really love the beginning of the game, first the animation with Nero´s Breaker arm, then the titlemenu, the Capcom logo and the credits intro with Devil Trigger...comes off as a game from yesteryear in all the best ways, could run this for hours in a loop :-)

it remembers me of the time of dedicated small video game stores where the newest games ran and when you came in you saw the ""attract mode" till you could get your hands on for yourself to try the game out.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it earlier. Loved it. Not too into V, I mean, I'm not good at him but it all felt a little too mashy between trying to keep both of them doing damage and trying to not let V get hit and stuff. It's an interesting concept though. Also Nightmare seemed just not good. Like I thought the Promotion ability would be fun, giving some kind of direct control over it but it's just way too slow and usually DT wore off before I could get to where I wanted.

Dante and Nero were both top tier though. Dante's weapons were all great, not one I didn't like using. and the Devil Breakers with Nero were all pretty good. Yet to user the Pasta Breaker at all though.

Story had plenty of hype moment but the Lady and Trish stuff was super disappointing, especially after DMC4SE with playable Trish and Lady. It's sad (and super odd) with the whole "no planned DLC" stuff seeing as there are some (fairly) easy and solid DLC ideas (playable Lady and Trish just going through the same levels).

Can't wait for Bloody Palace and the inevitable PC mods.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having completely new cutscenes and little skit for every time you call Nico in a mission is a fantastic bit of extra effort. Some of them are really funny too.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Capcom going to do anything about that scene... You know the one. The timing couldn't be worse for Capcom. First the Suicide Silence frontman and now this, I can't see myself purchasing this until it's removed, it's a stain on what otherwise looks to be one of the best games Capcom has made in years. It's hard to talk around it.
What scene? You mean delete the sexist garbage? I agree. Remove those scenes and the game would be better for it.

Because people who aren't bad at the game don't button mash.

I guess the argument is that you can actually get high ranks and survive decently well even when just mashing with V, unlike the other characters. I'm not too bothered personally because I try to play Stylish in order to improve rather than just fill that meter, but to each their own.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
playing V

017.gif

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is Capcom going to do anything about that scene... You know the one. The timing couldn't be worse for Capcom. First the Suicide Silence frontman and now this, I can't see myself purchasing this until it's removed, it's a stain on what otherwise looks to be one of the best games Capcom has made in years. It's hard to talk around it.
Wait, you think it was a bad look for Capcom to try to distance themselves from a musician who solicited nude photos from a minor?

I think that's uh.....I think that's what they call good PR there, the whole "we don't really wanna do business with folks who solicit nudes from minors there", but hey, what do I know?

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving the game so far and I really like playing V! I actually prefer him over Nero. Dante feels great once I got used to the styles.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So as someone who avoided any spoilers and even most of the trailers that involved Dante, let me just say that Balrog is far and away the coolest surprise in the entire game thus far and is all I ever want to use from now on. I have never had this much fun with such a stylish weapon before.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
If that's all it takes for you to not purchase the game I very much doubt you were planning on doing so anytime soon. Or you just have incredibly odd,
creepy
priorities. There's a thread for that subject though. Try not to derail the OT.

ALL the characters can beat the game via button mashing. Only thing I'll agree on is that V's style ranking is seemingly a bit more forgiving than Dante and Nero.

Not that moment chief.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit who could have seen this coming
Well, there was hardly 100% consensus on that being a controversial topic prior to the release of the documentary and there are plenty of other MJ references/homages all over media for obvious non-malicious reasons. Not that I have any intention of defending it if others have a problem with that scene of course, I hear ya. Thought definitely crossed my mind while playing.

So as someone who avoided any spoilers and even most of the trailers that involved Dante, let me just say that Balrog is far and away the coolest surprise in the entire game thus far and is all I ever want to use from now on. I have never had this much fun with such a stylish weapon before.

Hahahaaaaa just you wait! This game... <3

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is no way they are going to remove the Hat scene. It's genuinely an awesome moment in the game with a lot of love and detail put into it plus introduces a core game play mechanic into the game. Plus they made this game quite long before the documentary was released.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I just beat the first boss mission (mission 6 I think?) without getting hit on the first try and it felt phenomenal. I got the last notch of its health just wailing on the weak spot with the buster arm and I had just the biggest smile on my face.

The game is incredible so far.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I love this game, Having such a blast on mission 14.
I do wish they treated the female characters better, it's a shame 2019 still has this sexist stuff in the game. It would be better without it and better female representation.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you think it was a bad look for Capcom to try to distance themselves from a musician who solicited nude photos from a minor?

I think that's uh.....I think that's what they call good PR there, the whole "we don't really wanna do business with folks who solicit nudes from minors there", but hey, what do I know?

No. You interpreted that completely wrong.

And of course they couldn't have seen this coming, that doesn't mean they shouldn't do something about it.

Also I want to note I don't expect this to happen like, within the next week or something. It's really unfortunate. I just can't ignore it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bummed about the bug with the music. Wonder if some reviewers that mentioned the music being soso had the same bug. Kills a lot of the killer flow unfortunately.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Oh my god Saur has decided to bless us with DMC5 gameplay. For those not in the know; he more or less quit video games entirely, so this comes as a pleasant surprise to me.

fuck Saur's back? Dude literally wrote the book on Bayonetta and his Transformers: Devastation guide is amazing.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

I can think of ways it could be worse:

Capcom announces changes to planned R Kelly spin-off DLC for DMCV.

Oct 25, 2017
fuck Saur's back? Dude literally wrote the book on Bayonetta and his Transformers: Devastation guide is amazing.
Yeah let's hope DMC5 is enough to keep him around. Bayonetta 2 (and the realities of game development vs what games are marketable) made him quit gaming essentially, lmao. Can't blame him.
What's wrong with the Faust Hat scene?
Recent documentary providing further evidence that MJ may in fact have been a pedophile.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
DMCV is fine... Pretty disappointed overall. I'm going into the final mission and found most the game just kind of fine. The level design is really kinda boring. Outside of some neat little areas like the library there are just really long sequences of nothing hallways or very similar demony areas. Combat is excellent obviously, but the story felt weaker overall.
The story is just kinda bad. I like simple game stories but there doesn't feel like a clear enough drive forward. And the Revelations are just kinda...eh.
I did like all the DMC1 stuff peppered throughout, but really just kinda feel flat about it overall.
Also it easily has the best combat in the series so I'm conflicted

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Balrog is fantastic. I love the stance switching, the "fired up" effect and all those the combos. It feels really easy to hit SSS rank with that weapon by itself.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
DMCV is fine... Pretty disappointed overall. I'm going into the final mission and found most the game just kind of fine. The level design is really kinda boring. Outside of some neat little areas like the library there are just really long sequences of nothing hallways or very similar demony areas. Combat is excellent obviously, but the story felt weaker overall.
The story is just kinda bad. I like simple game stories but there doesn't feel like a clear enough drive forward. And the Revelations are just kinda...eh.
I did like all the DMC1 stuff peppered throughout, but really just kinda feel flat about it overall.
Also it easily has the best combat in the series so I'm conflicted
Totally agree. I love the combat obviously. Just wish the rest of the game lived up to my expectations.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My game is also missing all announcements on PC. I'm getting the feeling this has to do with the Deluxe DLC not being installed.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just did my first Dante mission and oh Lord he has a lot of possibilities. Just a lot of stuff to try and to experiment with. Calling it a day now, that game is tough to play for more than 3 hours.