• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I'm enjoying it but I really hate that they locked off the harder difficulties. Its starting to feel so monotonous fighting the same easy enemies over and over. I'm not going to play through this again, so I hate when devs do that.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Mission 10 is for some reason problematic for S ranking it on DH. I think it's the difficulty and enemy placements that are actively hampering high scores as a lot of enemies die in 2 hits therefore it's tough to string together high continuous scoring (not just because of difficulty but because of the type of enemies that actually appear in the mission). None of the other missions have this much of a problem I find but for some reason this one is just doing my head in. I've tested with all sorts of setups too but it all boils down to the enemies being used primarily.

Always been hit and miss in the previous games and subsequent difficulties don't run in to this but for some reason this very specific mission does on this difficulty does. Fuck knows how you're meant to S rank Human mode.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I'm not even trying and I've found most of them *shrug*
Every level is virtually just a big corridor. So far that's my only complaint with the game, that and the uninspired environment/ color palette. This pretty much gray: the game.

I actually really like the colors in this game, Dr.Faust attacks, and the redness.

Underworld can have colorful locations too, I was in Mission 13 farming red orbs and there was some beautiful lightning in that location, and an area that is very yellow.

Also first half in above ground is streets, stations, by the sea location, that graffiti place, hotel.

Game is not gray.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand revving. Do I just tap L2 a lot?

Rev the instant after swinging your sword during a combo to instantly fill one charge of your meter. The timing is tricky but once you get the hang of it you'll be flying through fights.

There's even an upgrade that instantly charges the entire meter after a perfectly-timed rev.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
what is even the last boss on SOS, my god, I don't know what's going on

I just started it and he's handing me my ass constantly. I saw somebody doing buster when he is in his... umm...

devil trigger form bashing his and his doppelganger head against each other and cannot replicate it for the life of me

NVM, JUST DONE IT, FCK YEA! Now I can focus on beating his ass.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Is it just more or the cues really weird/nonexistent in this game? I just started and Nero has multiple "charge up" attacks but the signaling to indicate they are charged is almost nonexistent. It's very offputting.

Combat feels very sluggish at the moment, hope things improve. :/

Do you mean charging the pistol and devil breaker? Both flash and make a sound when they are charged.
Others have already explained the exceed.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Glad to see this still works

D1P3iIkX0AgHuE-

The Shadow even stalls a bit in "shock" that you did it just like on dmc1

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My guess is Royal Guard is the best method for beating him in a timely manner. Royal Guard and a combination of Gunslinger during the particular phases where it's particularly hard to attack him physically.
Dodge-Spamming in Trickster until The Boss enters a cooldown animation, then pummel them until they eventually dodge-out or parry you, rinse-repeat. That's the best advice I can give.

Anyway, I wonder if Balrog was a cut boss, given this is the first time Dante has started with two Devil Arms right away.

Also, is it just me or does it seem harder than usual to build up DT as Dante compared to prior games?
As Dante it was a little more barebale, but as Nero I felt naked fighting him since I have far less to work with. I'll just have to keep practising and figure things out.
I just started it and he's handing me my ass constantly. I saw somebody doing buster when he is in his... umm...

devil trigger form bashing his and his doppelganger head against each other and cannot replicate it for the life of me

NVM, JUST DONE IT, FCK YEA! Now I can focus on beating his ass.
Yeah I managed to do that, was pretty cool. I didn't expect the fight to be so different on SOS, really took me by surprise.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
V may be divisive in how he feels to play, but everything I'm seeing from him makes me super excited for a summoner class in Dragons Dogma 2.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
As Dante it was a little more barebale, but as Nero I felt naked fighting him since I have far less to work with. I'll just have to keep practising and figure things out.
Yeah I managed to do that, was pretty cool. I didn't expect the fight to be so different on SOS, really took me by surprise.

Just beat him, got one BIG helpful hint that basically made this a cakewalk.

use charged shot the moment he stops attacking, while it's easy enough to stagger him in his human form without this, he's just too aggresive during DT, the moment he stops his attack he's already starting another, during that brief period, 1-2 charged shots are enough to STAGGER him allowing you to get some combos in and get a breather, thanks to this I also was able to pull of doppleganger buster

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I have with the game and it's a minor annoyance at best, but sometimes it just skips cutscenes for me. Twice in a row, I got new weapons for Dante without any context as to why. I have to restart the mission, to get the cutscenes to load properly.

Not a huge problem but still it's pretty annoying.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck. Just learned that Vergil Battle 2 is one of the themes that comes with the Deluxe Edition alternative tracks, that's so cool.

I haven't got my copy yet, can anyone tell me when it plays?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't beat mission 08's boss without using a continue. With a few more tries I think I could've done it but I wanted to progress the story anyway.

I really struggle making the combo go up with Nero. It's so easy with V, got two consecutives SSS without even really trying but it's way more difficult with Nero. The only way I can make it go up significantly is to grab it towards me, launch it, follows with sword slash, spam the pistol as it goes down then, follow with a down slash, devil break the shit out of it then regrab it and keep going. And that only works when the enemy isn't guarding or isn't a boss.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I actually really like the colors in this game, Dr.Faust attacks, and the redness.

Underworld can have colorful locations too, I was in Mission 13 farming red orbs and there was some beautiful lightning in that location, and an area that is very yellow.

Also first half in above ground is streets, stations, by the sea location, that graffiti place, hotel.

Game is not gray.

i think the use of colour is just not so great in this game, there are even red bosses with red attacks on red background...it just doesn´t really work. visual effects and cues in boss fights are often overloaded to the point where you are asking yourself what the fuck is going on as well.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up the first playthrough, Mission 19 and 20 was basically exactly what I was hoping for. Game in general gets a hell of a lot better from mission ~10 or so on, the back half is a blast loaded with fanservice.

Some other initial thoughts:

Still not a fan of the Devil Breaker system, and I wish they had some way to just swap between arms. I don't want to manage an inventory of these and while having a surplus of arms is never an issue, the ones in the level are going to be random so you don't really know what's up ahead. In one of the last levels I had Buster currently equipped and saw a Rawhide I wanted to pick up, I had a Sweet Surrender as my next arm that I didn't want but the only way to swap that would have been to basically break two arms to pick that up, and I wanted Buster. Feels bad.

That said...there are a couple of arms that are really cool. Tomboy and Buster being my early favorites. I was super happy to see Buster and that it still has all of those special DMC4 cinematic attacks on enemies and bosses. Due to that Nero is at worst on par with DMC4, and just gets better with some of his new stuff. Big fan of the divekick-esque move specifically.

V is unsurprisingly controversial. I don't mind playing him but I can see why others would when he's so different, but I'm curious to see how he fares on SoS/DMD since he was not hard at all to rack up style and avoid damage. Seems like an easy front runner to bully bloody palace if nothing else.

Dante is absolutely insane. I don't even know what else to really say on that, he's by far the most advanced and mechanics filled character I've seen in any game like this and it isn't even close. It's almost comical how much new stuff you still keep getting with him as you get near the end of the game.

Balrog is the greatest weapon in all of DMC. Weapon is a fucking blast and feels amazing, basically having its own hype announcer to track hits helps.

Environmental variety is straight up terrible. This is easily the worst part of this game, you spend the entirety of it in bland streets or a bland samey looking tree. There's maybe 2-3 levels that visually stand out. While none of the levels are a slog to get through like other DMC games struggled with, it's a shame they blend so much. The feature to see the right path was often used for me just out of confusion at where I was, and I feel it may actually be a pain to track down the rest of the orbs as most of the spots aren't going to stand out in my memory at all.

Storytelling didn't work well for me at the start. I don't like the use of in media res here, makes the player feel too detached from the stakes and what actually happened to lead up to it, especially with V just being integrated from the start. Where they take his character is not surprising at all but the story meanders around for almost half of the game because of it.

Enemies are solid and the bosses seemed great. Probably THE thing to nail in a DMC game and I'm glad they did, there's nothing that pops up and makes you groan, which should make higher difficulties fun. Bloody Palace is going to be incredible.

Game has a killer soundtrack, and I love the gallery/jukebox section. Really chill menu to read everything.

LMAO at trish and lady. Holy shit what a waste.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't beat mission 08's boss without using a continue. With a few more tries I think I could've done it but I wanted to progress the story anyway.

I really struggle making the combo go up with Nero. It's so easy with V, got two consecutives SSS without even really trying but it's way more difficult with Nero. The only way I can make it go up significantly is to grab it towards me, launch it, follows with sword slash, spam the pistol as it goes down then, follow with a down slash, devil break the shit out of it then regrab it and keep going. And that only works when the enemy isn't guarding or isn't a boss.
Nero is the hardest to play as for me. I finished the game but only have a linking of understanding of what each arm does. He just lacks something, one more tool in his arsenal for when you run out of arms.

Dante gets everything and he is easy to work with because his arsenal is so huge. V is so much simpler because he has the least going on control-wise. Nero really suffers being the inbetweener of combat.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
lol I suck ass at this.

Its like my brain can't figure out the button placement or something.

shit is still fun tho. gotta actually hanker down and take my time.

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Refunded this after giving it a 2 hour play session. Camera is very janky during combat and its extremely linear. Just not for me.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Just beat him, got one BIG helpful hint that basically made this a cakewalk.

use charged shot the moment he stops attacking, while it's easy enough to stagger him in his human form without this, he's just too aggresive during DT, the moment he stops his attack he's already starting another, during that brief period, 1-2 charged shots are enough to STAGGER him allowing you to get some combos in and get a breather, thanks to this I also was able to pull of doppleganger buster
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Also, I managed to get the two secret cutscenes at the end this time. I thought I had failed again because Nico said I could do better or something and Vergil said he won this time. But yay, got it. Also woah, I can now switch between all six weapons as Dante. Nice surprise.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
It's games like these that really reinvigorate my interest in gaming.
The amount of love and detail and FUN in this game is so crazy. Hats off to Itsuno

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I really think the sitting Urizen is one of the worst boss fights i have ever seen in a character action game...3 times they interrupt this fight with a cutscene, it is a pure hype killer and completely jarring.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game on Devil Hunter a few minutes ago and I didn't really like it.

I'm a huge Bayonetta fan and somehow never played DMC, so I thought I'd like it for sure.
But the combat to me feels sluggish and not as fluid as I would've hoped.
The camera was sometimes pretty annoying and many of the later Missions looked samey.

I'm glad that the DMC fans are enjoying it, but this series is not for me.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really think the sitting Urizen is one of the worst boss fights i have ever seen in a character action game...3 times they interrupt this fight with a cutscene.
Well don't fight the final boss of DmC then because that has 4-5 cutscene interruptions mid fight!

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough on Human. This is my first DMC and I loved it, but I still suck. Going to play on Devil Hunter now, any tips for getting S rank? Also, how do you reliably parry? I kept doing it on accident but could never do it on purpose

Oct 25, 2017
lol I suck ass at this.

Its like my brain can't figure out the button placement or something.

shit is still fun tho. gotta actually hanker down and take my time.
Rebind everything. Trust me. I put jump on Square, for example. The game expects you to press many buttons at once so put everything you can on shoulder buttons and move seldom used stuff to face buttons (except melee so you don't have to mash shoulders.)

I really think the sitting Urizen is one of the worst boss fights i have ever seen in a character action game...3 times they interrupt this fight with a cutscene, it is a pure hype killer and completely jarring.

Just
kick his ass at the start of the game (Prologue) for maximum catharsis.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nero is the hardest to play as for me. I finished the game but only have a linking of understanding of what each arm does. He just lacks something, one more tool in his arsenal for when you run out of arms.

Dante gets everything and he is easy to work with because his arsenal is so huge. V is so much simpler because he has the least going on control-wise. Nero really suffers being the inbetweener of combat.

I think I'm not optimizing enough my combos with the Devil Breakers, feels like I'm missing a lot of potential there.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to Dante and he just makes the game great. I enjoy playing as him far more than the other characters.

Still getting a lot of sound skipping though. I had some with RE2 as well. No other game does it.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
this is normal mode, after that there are 4(!) more difficulties...

I'm no stranger to how action games are usually built to be played through across all difficulties, but I don't think DMC5's standard difficulty is very well-balanced compared to its predecessors. There may be hard modes but that doesn't really excuse how passive and gormless the enemies behave on devil hunter; it seriously hampers the combat.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough on Human. This is my first DMC and I loved it, but I still suck. Going to play on Devil Hunter now, any tips for getting S rank? Also, how do you reliably parry? I kept doing it on accident but could never do it on purpose
S rank is not that difficult, just don't use revives and such (don't die basically). Try to get hit as little as possible and keep changing up your attacks, don't repeat stuff. Parry is just timing your attack with their's, just use a move that lingers for a while for best results.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Is Capcom going to do anything about that scene... You know the one. The timing couldn't be worse for Capcom. First the Suicide Silence frontman and now this, I can't see myself purchasing this until it's removed, it's a stain on what otherwise looks to be one of the best games Capcom has made in years. It's hard to talk around it.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
V's gameplay is just...so bad.

Slow, button mashy, never feel like I have control over anything.

His second boss was so bad because of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn so I'm the only one who struggled with some fights toward the end of Devil Hunter? Then again I didn't use any revives or anything, but still. I thought the game was surprisingly difficult for a Normal mode. Or maybe I was just way too focused on styling on shit and learning difficult moves to properly react to enemy attacks, heh.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Mission 10 is for some reason problematic for S ranking it on DH. I think it's the difficulty and enemy placements that are actively hampering high scores as a lot of enemies die in 2 hits therefore it's tough to string together high continuous scoring (not just because of difficulty but because of the type of enemies that actually appear in the mission). None of the other missions have this much of a problem I find but for some reason this one is just doing my head in. I've tested with all sorts of setups too but it all boils down to the enemies being used primarily.

Always been hit and miss in the previous games and subsequent difficulties don't run in to this but for some reason this very specific mission does on this difficulty does. Fuck knows how you're meant to S rank Human mode.
I've been trying to S Rank this one too and I'm wondering if there's some trick to it (like how shooting the balloons in that one mission grants bonus points). I consistently get high style combos in every fight and go through it pretty quickly overall but I always end up with an A.