• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's not nostalgia. To me it's mainly that the game looks washed out, like it has a gray filter.
You need to adjust the in-game Brightness properly.

The online multiplayer features of this game have me pretty confused. I'll occasionally see someone else in game and be asked to pass judgment on them at the end without really having seen them or even knowing what their final score on that level is?

Also are there any leaderboards?

Yeah it's kinda bizarre to be honest. I just more or less ignore it and rate everyone as stylish because who cares. No leaderboards that I know of.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
So I got Dante and holy shit the options.

There's melee moves on Y. There's more melee moves on B with Swordmaster. Then each melee weapon has their own Swordmaster moves. Then the gauntlets have their own stances, each with a different set of moves on both Y and B.

I'm going to be here for a while.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have finished on Devil Hunter, completing in a good 10 hour sitting from start to finish. What an incredible ride and great characters all round. V really stole the show for me and loved every part of it.

Also that fucking pure ectasy Dante Gameplay. GOD FUCKING DAMN IT WAS SO GOOD. Amazing combat from start to end. It truly is a Magnum Opus and Itsuno is an incredible director. I can't wait to see what he does for his next title.

Mission 13 is pure kino as well. Seriously was something special to me, I never expected such an elevated feeling on this genre and how they show how a certain approach can be done.

Dahbomb Son of Sparda

Really loved it. Best DMC game for me easily.

GOD THAT FUCKING RE ENGINE THO. HOLY SHIT.
You going to beat it on DMD mode or nah?

Oct 25, 2017
You going to beat it on DMD mode or nah?

Later on in the year I will, I want to 100 percent it. I will try some Bloody Palace when it comes out on a Saturday, as currently that's the only "free" time I allow myself to chill and game properly. Really busy on my studies, work and related advancement, and fitness with certain goals and being rather disciplined about it. I am happy that I was able to finish this in one focus before I focus back onto other things to avoid any distractions for a good few months or least up to September/October time.

I'll let you guys know on that come much later when everything is all good and happily satisfied on my end!

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me, a total noob, playing this game on human difficulty as Dante / V:

FKnL4G9.png

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
So I didn't use it very much, but is the Helter Skelter just... bad? I know it's used to bust armored enemies, but Rawhide seems to do that just fine while having far better hitboxes and utility. Every time I picked up HS my reaction was basically "oh god not this piece of shit..." more or less.
I was looking forward to Guren Lagann-ing it up with Helter Skelter and... yeah.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't get the hang of V at all. Is there a way to instantly recall Griffon and Shadow during bosses so they don't just sit there and die?

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I can't get the hang of V at all. Is there a way to instantly recall Griffon and Shadow during bosses so they don't just sit there and die?
Dodging left or right (left/right+X while locked on) instantly brings Shadow back, dodging backwards or double jumping instantly brings Griffon back.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I am enjoying V now that I'm on his second set of missions. It's a different sort of satisfaction to just hang out and read a book while your minions are blowing everything up around you, then slide into the kills.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dodge backwards brings Griffon to you, dodge sideways brings Shadow to you.
Dodging left or right (left/right+X while locked on) instantly brings Shadow back, dodging backwards or double jumping instantly brings Griffon back.
Great to know. Thanks. It never occurred to me to deliberately dodge to draw them back.

Could someone correct me on this. Tapping X to do Round Robin makes Griffon do the attack where he stands, while hold it teleports Griffon back to you?

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
So I got Dante and holy shit the options.

There's melee moves on Y. There's more melee moves on B with Swordmaster. Then each melee weapon has their own Swordmaster moves. Then the gauntlets have their own stances, each with a different set of moves on both Y and B.

I'm going to be here for a while.
Seriously, I feel I need some sort of chart showing me all the moves available for each style/weapon combination.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I feel I need some sort of chart showing me all the moves available for each style/weapon.
My tip is to just take it one thing at a time. Don't worry about being repetitive; it's more important to build up the muscle memory. I'm doing Calibur > Jump Cancel > Calibur every single time I get an enemy up in the air for example and I've been doing it ever since the demo (which I played for like 20 hours already.) The move set is overwhelming for both Nero and Dante, so don't worry about it. Having new stuff to learn is always fun.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
YOU CANNOT KILL ME
I AM OMEEEEEGA
YOU CANNOT KILL ME
I AM SUBHUUUUUMAN

God the dynamic music elevates this song so hard.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I really disliked Nero in the full game. I just got bored with him. Red Queen still feels limited. Devil breakers are cool but no switching is terrible. Nero needs more devil arm, his play style feels dated to me.

V, initially i didn't like his play style but now as i learn him, I'm enjoying playing with him, he is much better than Nero IMO.

Now Dante, Holy fucking shit, he is Godlike!. Maxed out Dante is insanely overpowered compared to both V and Nero.

Really enjoying playing with Dante. I wish we could play the entire game with Dante.

I have lots of problem with this game but still i had fun, especially playing as our old Legendary Devil hunter Dante. Now i wait for bloody place.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My tip is to just take it one thing at a time. Don't worry about being repetitive; it's more important to build up the muscle memory. I'm doing Calibur > Jump Cancel > Calibur every single time I get an enemy up in the air for example and I've been doing it ever since the demo (which I played for like 20 hours already.) The move set is overwhelming for both Nero and Dante, so don't worry about it. Having new stuff to learn is always fun.
Yep, this is the best course. My bro mind was blown when he tried to play Dante, it was a real shock to him(he doesn't play DMC games and this is literally the first game he put this much time into). I gave him similar advice regarding Dante.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
This game is just fantastically fun.

I love how they take away a bunch of Nero's options from DMC4, give him interesting new alternatives, and then...

Hoping for the inevitable playable Lady/Trish stuff to involve fighting Alastor/Ifrit/Lucifer, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked Nero in the full game. I just got bored with him. Red Queen still feels limited. Devil breakers are cool but no switching is terrible. Nero needs more devil arm, his play style feels dated to me.

V, initially i didn't like his play style but now as i learn him, I'm enjoying playing with him, he is much better than Nero IMO.

Now Dante, Holy fucking shit, he is Godlike!. Maxed out Dante is insanely overpowered compared to both V and Nero.

Really enjoying playing with Dante. I wish we could play the entire game with Dante.

I have lots of problem with this game but still i had fun, especially playing as our old Legendary Devil hunter Dante. Now i wait for bloody place.
For Nero: are you charging Blue Rose, revving, and charging your Breaker all at the same time while doing Red Queen combos? That's when Nero completely clicked for me back in DMC4 and with his new features in DMC5 he feels almost as complex as Dante at times. Almost.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I have finished on Devil Hunter, completing in a good 10 hour sitting from start to finish. What an incredible ride and great characters all round. V really stole the show for me and loved every part of it.

Also that fucking pure ectasy Dante Gameplay. GOD FUCKING DAMN IT WAS SO GOOD. Amazing combat from start to end. It truly is a Magnum Opus and Itsuno is an incredible director. I can't wait to see what he does for his next title.

Mission 13 is pure kino as well. Seriously was something special to me, I never expected such an elevated feeling on this genre and how they show how a certain approach can be done.

Dahbomb Son of Sparda

Really loved it. Best DMC game for me easily.

GOD THAT FUCKING RE ENGINE THO. HOLY SHIT.
Nice!

Hopefully we'll get some sort of story DLC for the game down the line.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is it just more or the cues really weird/nonexistent in this game? I just started and Nero has multiple "charge up" attacks but the signaling to indicate they are charged is almost nonexistent. It's very offputting.

Combat feels very sluggish at the moment, hope things improve. :/

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like playing as V. After finally getting everything I wanted with Nero, this feels like weird and wrong.

Genesis from Crisis Core makes his return.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just more or the cues really weird/nonexistent in this game? I just started and Nero has multiple "charge up" attacks but the signaling to indicate they are charged is almost nonexistent. It's very offputting.

Do you know how to use Exceed? Combat speeds up pretty significantly if you make good use of it.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
SOS has been fairly easy for me, but the last boss is a big difficultly spike, used up all my gold orbs to beat it. Not even sure what the tactic is for it.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SOS has been fairly easy for me, but the last boss is a big difficultly spike, used up all my gold orbs to beat it. Not even sure what the tactic is for it.
My guess is Royal Guard is the best method for beating him in a timely manner. Royal Guard and a combination of Gunslinger during the particular phases where it's particularly hard to attack him physically.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been finding it meh so far. Camera is super rough, lock on controls/functionality make swapping locked focus kinda ass. Think I need to restart on Devil Hunter so the combat isn't so brief, impossible to find a flow and get into the moveset. Pretty disappointed.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
For Nero: are you charging Blue Rose, revving, and charging your Breaker all at the same time while doing Red Queen combos? That's when Nero completely clicked for me back in DMC4 and with his new features in DMC5 he feels almost as complex as Dante at times. Almost.
I know how to play DMC games. I'm veteran DMC player after all.

My issue with Nero is he only has single devil arm. Red Queen alone just doesn't cut it for me. This issue can easily be rectified in future DMC game, but sadly not in this game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm early on (V's second mission), but I can't believe how lifeless the art direction is in this game. It remind me of RE5/DMC4-era Capcom -- which is weird, because I thought they'd put that behind them. It's a stylish action game without style. Like, I watched that intro credits scene and I just felt *nothing*. I walk through the city streets and it's all wide and empty and non-descript. Where am I? Who cares. It's nowhere. Just a sewer tunnel or something. :(
They went too realistic imo, though there are some hellish and nice parts that remind me of RE, artstyle is a bit of a mixed bag, but the gameplay is incredible.i wasn't expecting a reinvention but at times it looks like DmC 'real world' lol they did what they could with the tree

btw both RE5 and DMC4 had a little more personality in their enviromnets/use of color.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I really don't know how anyone can call post game Nero limited. Dude is a god.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I know how to play DMC games. I'm veteran DMC player after all.

My issue with Nero is he only has single devil arm. Red Queen alone just doesn't cut it for me. This issue can easily be rectified in future DMC game, but sadly not in this game.
They would need a Nero exclusive game to focus on that but i don't see it happening, Dante is the one about Devil arms and V about his special abilities/gimmicks

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

You can press and hold LT to rev your sword - the number of charges is shown on the top left. Regular moves will then strike faster to consume a charge, or have enhanced versions with multiple hits and flashy effects which use multiple charges.

No one is manually revving their sword though. The mastery lies in timing your rev just after you make a hit, to instantly gain a charge (or when upgraded, instantly max out your charges with perfect timing).

Once perfected, you can go through entire combos while revving after each hit to constantly keep your sword charged. It takes some practice to get the timing right as each combo and move has its own window, and missing a rev will slow your tempo.

But man once you get it it's soooo good.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Dodge-Spamming in Trickster until The Boss enters a cooldown animation, then pummel them until they eventually dodge-out or parry you, rinse-repeat. That's the best advice I can give.

Anyway, I wonder if Balrog was a cut boss, given this is the first time Dante has started with two Devil Arms right away.

Also, is it just me or does it seem harder than usual to build up DT as Dante compared to prior games?