• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best to play DMC with your thumb off the left stick during combat, and only use it for moves that require a stick input. It's more useful to move yourself or enemies around with your actual combat abilities rather than walking or running anywhere during a fight. With Nero you want to be locked-on and pulling enemies towards you with Wire Snatch, or moving yourself with Calibur, Streak or your Breakers.

NONONONO purge this habit out of your mind literally this very second. It may not feel like a big deal with nero, when it's just one move, but when you reach dante, this habit will make game unplayable. You only move stick when you need to! you don't just hold it in the direction cuz why not

I can tell its a pretty bad habit that I need to get rid of, problem is I do this in almost every game so its tough to get rid of

Does anyone have a good alternate control scheme for V? It feels like my right hand is doing too much work compared to my left. I think I should put the panther or bird on the left side of the controller

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Man, this first V boss is...bad. Not sure what they were thinking with this character.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell its a pretty bad habit that I need to get rid of, problem is I do this in almost every game so its tough to get rid of

Does anyone have a good alternate control scheme for V? It feels like my right hand is doing too much work compared to my left. I think I should put the panther or bird on the left side of the controller
I leave everything on default for him, but I moved Griffon to R2. If you want to balance it out across your hands, you could definitely put it to L2 though. Lets you comfortable do those charge moves while still attacking with Shadow.

Oct 26, 2017
This game is really bad at building mystery...laying out a story....telling a story. I'm only 4 missions in, but I can't help but laugh when the timeline summary has crap like, "And what is V's true motive?" Who gives a shit? You haven't even properly introduced V and how he and Nero met, so a non-mystery has become more important than the "mystery" to me now.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Best to play DMC with your thumb off the left stick during combat, and only use it for moves that require a stick input. It's more useful to move yourself or enemies around with your actual combat abilities rather than walking or running anywhere during a fight. With Nero you want to be locked-on and pulling enemies towards you with Wire Snatch, or moving yourself with Calibur, Streak or your Breakers.
NONONONO purge this habit out of your mind literally this very second. It may not feel like a big deal with nero, when it's just one move, but when you reach dante, this habit will make game unplayable. You only move stick when you need to! you don't just hold it in the direction cuz why not
This seems like a great tip, and I can see straight away how it would help me with chaining enemies and general combat flow.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Beat it today, feel a little bit disappointed to the end of the game
Amazing game overall but in my opinion it's too short and basically has no story

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really bad at building mystery...laying out a story....telling a story. I'm only 4 missions in, but I can't help but laugh when the timeline summary has crap like, "And what is V's true motive?" Who gives a shit? You haven't even properly introduced V and how he and Nero met, so a non-mystery has become more important than the "mystery" to me now.
I, on the other hand, loved every second of it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Except for the sexist garbage that is)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me the big problem is that it's incredibly fucking obvious who V is and what he wants.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I think the game is basically perfect besides the massive disrespect given to Lady and Trish, and the fact that even as someone that avoided a lot of pre-release media, it was extremely obvious what the answer to every question was.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So there is no option to lock on with a press of R1 instead of always holding it??? This sucks.

I can't remember if DMC4 was the same but I swear you could choose between holding or pressing...geez...

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The storytelling is clearly worse than 3/4. Really question the logic of starting a story in media res, with some characters nobody knows with some crazy situation we dont know anything about, then flashing forward a month later(???) annnnnd...not explaining any of it(????). With random flashbacks in-between to Nero's arm being stolen or halfway through the game V approaching Dante. Like the fuck???

I know nobody gon give a shit about any of this when we're all trying to S rank DMD but the narrative context for the events of this game is weak.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So my game seems to be bugged out, and even reloading the checkpoint doesn't help.

I'm at the point where Nero is in that bloody elevator/floor thing that is supposed to keep dropping. Well it drops a bit for me, but once I've killed all the enemies, it just comes back up, and I can't do anything.

Help!
Wow, ok anyone who hasn't done this room/area yet, it seems that if you kill the enemies too quickly, the floor won't drop all the way, and then you're shit outta luck. WTF.

I ended up having to run around in circles, avoiding enemies, for a while to get the floor to fully drop.

edit: never mind, I was wrong.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, ok anyone who hasn't done this room/area yet, it seems that if you kill the enemies too quickly, the floor won't drop all the way, and then you're shit outta luck. WTF.

I ended up having to run around in circles, avoiding enemies, for a while to get the floor to fully drop.
Is this in mission 8? If so there's a ledge you can jump to that has a bunch of bonus red orbs as well as a path that continues the stage.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
That first Urizen fight is soooo bad..the one with the cutscenes taking you out of the fight 2 times, when replaying the game it stings even more....wtf were they thinking

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is this in mission 8? If so there's a ledge you can jump to that has a bunch of bonus red orbs as well as a path that continues the stage.
edit: I just realized that if you hold X after the job (for the wall jump) it goes higher. Don't mind me. I'm an idiot. lol

Oct 26, 2017
The storytelling is clearly worse than 3/4. Really question the logic of starting a story in media res, with some characters nobody knows with some crazy situation we dont know anything about, then flashing forward a month later(???) annnnnd...not explaining any of it(????). With random flashbacks in-between to Nero's arm being stolen or halfway through the game V approaching Dante. Like the fuck???

I know nobody gon give a shit about any of this when we're all trying to S rank DMD but the narrative context for the events of this game is weak.
I'm at least glad I'm not the only one bugged by this stuff.

For me the big problem is that it's incredibly fucking obvious who V is and what he wants.
I told my brother last night---the real twist is going be if all these mysteries don't wind up being answered with exactly what you expect with how obvious some of it is.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
So there is no option to lock on with a press of R1 instead of always holding it??? This sucks.

I can't remember if DMC4 was the same but I swear you could choose between holding or pressing...geez...
On PC you can create this option through steam overlay (controller config). Also IMHO if you change the lock on button to L2 it became a lot better to hold.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Are tou serious? So you have to replay the game like 6-7 times for plat? Yeah doubt I will, theres too many loading screens and slowdowns between each mission, would be a pain
DMC games really make you work for the achievements. I remember putting tons of time into DMC4, beating it like 4 times, and only having like 30% of the achievements when I was ready to move on to something else.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Re-watching some cutscenes cause I accidentally pressed start during two of them and Urizen's dialogue man

giphy.webp

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The grab moves with Nero on bosses and enemies are so good, loved them in DMC4, even better in this one.

Oct 29, 2017
Man. Using dante with balrog, switching between kick mode and punch mode mid air with sword master to stay in the air consistently while fighting Calvaliere, occasionally parrying and dodging with trickster, is unbelievable

This game so far above and beyond any other Devil May Cry game, which is my favorite franchise, is the highest praise I can give a video game

I am in complete awe with the combat system

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna say end game Dante might be the coolest thing ever created in a videogame
Yea it's insane.

Also Nero is going to be a monster with the Breaker swap mod.

It's kinda crazy that even in the final fight of the game you are getting new tools to play with as well as in post game. They had more mechanics than the full game can handle!

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game. Damn I didnt want it to end, the game was so hype at the end on terms of combat. Man this game was great definitely up there with 3.

I hate that V was Vergil and now he's back being him. V was an awesome character and I want him back.

DMC team doubling down on Nero being the main hero just hurts. Even in DMC4 I absolutely HATED Nero and he still hasnt won me over. He's a shit character and that will never change.

Overall I'm disappointed that characters I like are written off for now. While I'm sure Dante and Vergil will be back in 6, it still stings that such a great concept as V in terms of a summoner in combat is now gone.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've played a lot of video games, and I don't think I've ever experienced anything as cool as getting in the rhythm, breaking into S-rank, and hearing the chorus of Devil Trigger start playing. This game is a masterpiece.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
"you cant switch breakers for balance reasons"
Meanwhile[/SPOILER]

Yeah that's frustrating. It's a weird choice considering Dante's kit seems way more powerful if you have all the weapons. My guess is that they wanted a simpler character that didn't overwhelm newer players, I dunno. They should at least have given you the option on NG+.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
What's the best way to get up close to airborne enemies with Dante? I got so used to the grapple...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah that's frustrating. It's a weird choice considering Dante's kit seems way more powerful if you have all the weapons. My guess is that they wanted a simpler character that didn't overwhelm newer players, I dunno. They should at least have given you the option on NG+.

yep they could have unlocked Breaker switching after the first playthrough, i still have the suspicion that it was implemented as a red orb sink.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Just beat the game and holy shit what a amazing game.

It was really a love letter to fans and the series.

Itsuno did not disappoint. Expactations Max Exceeded.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Also I'm gonna go on record that ultraviolet is my favorite battle track across everything the deluxe ed gives you.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say worse than 4 - while the structure was more conventional there, there were also no stakes or weight to anything, and the entire game felt completely pointless for everyone involved.

But the overall storytelling is definitely confused at times in what it wants to achieve, despite some of its individual elements being an improvement from 4. Contorting the timeline and going to extreme pains to draw out a 'twist' that's spelled out in the opening cutscene / first trailer in particular just seems like a waste of effort. But at the same time, without tying itself into a knot, there's just not a great deal there to tell.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still find it sad that the GOAT sword named Alastor hasn't made its comeback.

They should have introduced a Queen Alastor boss and get an even better one.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I love everything about the game except for the environments. They remind me of how dull and similar the environments were in DMC2 and that's starting to harsh my buzz.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
So what's the length on this game?

I'm talking real times from people here and not what Capcom or whoever said it would be.