• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a time when you just had a sword and punching gloves and that's all Dante needed to kick demon buttox! He was king I tells ya!

Now we got all this flippedy floopedy style nonsense and some goth kid that lets the game fight for you and some meathead kid that needs to find ammo for the fun? Pfft...!

(Game's alright so far)

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
On Mission 13 now. Dante is by far the best character for me. If dodging while comboing were as smooth as Bayonetta this would easily be my favorite character action game, but I'll need to play more to see how the rest of this stacks up.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Man this game is fun. A real looker too.

Might actually do multiple playthroughs on the higher difficulties.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like DMC3 still beats 5 in terms of pacing, story, music, and as an overall package, but DMC5 is easily the second best in the series and certainly has the best core gameplay.
Would agree. Love this entry, but it's just not as tight as 3 imo.

Shimomura's cutscene direction is a fair bit weaker than his usual series standard imo, but that's probably due to the realism of the visuals (and the enormous budget these scenes would cost comparatively to a DMC3 or 4) diluting his gonzo sensibilities. Still way above the level of most game cutscenes anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
V really shines 1v1 imo. First playthrough i was bummed at the mission 14 boss rush, but on SoS I had fun
  • Micro managing pets (Dodging for them, getting high dps combos)
  • Warping striking to dodge projectiles
  • Taking advantage of of huge windows with nightmare lazers
  • Parrying with the cane and shadow

If you're not into the pet class fantasy, I get that this still probably isnt fun to you though.

Ah, bummer, didn't realize this.
Just remember sekiro less than 2 weeks dsjfgjhsdfl

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Just got Dante, still don't get the level design complaints. DMC3 is an all time fav but nothing in 5 is as tedious and uninteresting to look at as some of those boring ass tower rooms or the fuckin whale.

I thought the ruined theater was cool. I thought the sewers had really good lighting. The demo levels in the city and the fancy building were stellar. Subway once with V and once with Nero was great in my book. Demon tree level with shattered buildings everywhere looked dope. Ruins with V were nice. Guess I got poor taste.

DMC5 still best in the series for me.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I'm only. About 4 or 5 missions in. Enjoying the combat a lot but wish the level design was more complex, and similar to the RE routes of dmc1, 3. Its telling that there is no need for a map anymore as it's just seems to be straight forward 'corridors'.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm on mission 11 and this game is disqualified from GOAT DMC discussion just based on the absolutely insane amount of level/environment reuse. This is the most bland level design in the series history on top of that. Also, the story is like nonexistent so far, just very bare bones.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mission 11 and this game is disqualified from GOAT DMC discussion just based on the absolutely insane amount of level/environment reuse. This is the most bland level design in the series history. That, and the story is like nonexistent so far.

DMCV could be bloody palace only and it'd still be in talks as the best DMC. Y'all crazy; temen ni gru was bland af

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm only. About 4 or 5 missions in. Enjoying the combat a lot but wish the level design was more complex, and similar to the RE routes of dmc1, 3. Its telling that there is no need for a map anymore as it's just seems to be straight forward 'corridors'.

It is. Just one battle arena after another, and honestly these environments aren't interesting to explore.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Today is a new day. Do I just move straight on to SoS? Do I go back and S rank the DH missions I didn't do? Do I do a quick run of Human to S rank that and knock out the Secret Mission/Blue Orb/Purple Orb collections? DECISIONS. That said, I wonder if Human will be challenging to S rank cos you kill stuff a lot quicker unless speed running can help?

Aman Indra

Sep 5, 2018
I'm on mission 11 and this game is disqualified from GOAT DMC discussion just based on the absolutely insane amount of level/environment reuse. This is the most bland level design in the series history on top of that. Also, the story is like nonexistent so far, just very bare bones.
I dunno, the story is pretty serviceable especially in the later half and the game is a STUNNER in many departments apart from level design and map layouts.

Definitely a front runner in that discussion lol

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I think at my point (about halfway maybe?) the only really big grievance I have is in the level design variety. None of it looks bad, but little of it has been particularly memorable so far, and very rudimentary in layout and aesthetic. Very heavy asset and similar area reuse. Lacks a strong sense of progression through visually distinct areas.
I liked the houses so far, they remind me of RE, and some of the streets, but yeah i feel they should have gone a bit less realistic and more fantasy ish with this setting, it was my biggest worry.
images

something like this on RE looks a little atmospheric, maybe a big gothic castle randomly in red grave city, or some ancient structures
The tree looks freaky though 🌳

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
When V clicks he REALLY clicks. Also shoutout to the actor for V since it's apparently his first acting gig and he did a better job than anyone else.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
OK, how is it with DMC4 and DMC5, Itsuno still can't get the control scheme down with Nero?

Thats the most glaring flaw in 4 and 5. In 4 using the square button to shoot is bad since blue rose's charge shot is the real damage dealer of his gun and essential to so many of Nero's combo so it very hard and uncomfortable to press triangle to do his melee attack while holding the square button at the same time. This is exacerbated in 5 with the fact that Nero has 2 charged attacks now that his Blue Rose charged shot and his charged devil breakers.

I know controls can be remapped but it's just boggles my mind how Dante's control scheme is very natural and easy to use while Nero's isn't and have to remapped to play effectively.
At least you can change the button configuration on the menu

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Just got Dante, still don't get the level design complaints. DMC3 is an all time fav but nothing in 5 is as tedious and uninteresting to look at as some of those boring ass tower rooms or the fuckin whale.

I thought the ruined theater was cool. I thought the sewers had really good lighting. The demo levels in the city and the fancy building were stellar. Subway once with V and once with Nero was great in my book. Demon tree level with shattered buildings everywhere looked dope. Ruins with V were nice. Guess I got poor taste.

Some of the later environments could get a bit monotonous with 10 straight missions of Giger hell, but largely I found the environments to be handled pretty decently - and even then, the later missions' environments aren't badly designed, they just blend together a little. They obviously can't push as much detail as RE:RE2, but they compose the level elements well visually and their lighting sets the atmosphere well to create a fair few distinct memorable locations. It especially looks good compared to 4 - while Fortuna looked okay, the mines, castle, most of the Order HQ and especially the forest were incredibly bland despite being technically competent for the time - the Saviour hallway was one of the only interesting rooms in the game, and DMC5 outdoes that easily with most of its more mundane architecture like the blood fountains.

Here's a few I didn't mind:

hm3idjr3.png

hm2hfjxi.png

hm127knd.png

Even the shopping arcade at the beginning of M02 and a lot of the hotel rooms were fairly distinctive with how they were lit and intertwined with corrupted roots and rot.

The one thing the game is really missing is something properly abstract like DMC3's Escher void or 1's distorted Gaudi cathedral. Some of the stretched ruins kind of approach it, but still look quite 'regular'.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im dissapointed
the second /third boss doesn't speak, she had an interesting design, but it was Lady in disguise lol, wonder whats up with that why it needs humans as power source at all

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a question. There were scenes in the trailers where Dante, Nero
, Trish and Mary are in that Uriznen dude area. Is that near the end of the game? They show both Trish and Mary in gameplay

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
, Trish and Mary are in that Uriznen dude area. Is that near the end of the game? They show both Trish and Mary in gameplay

There's a flashback where you play as Dante before Nero bursts in at the beginning of the game. Trish and Lady are seen in gameplay for a little bit as you go through the stage, but all they do is run away from the demons for a few seconds

Oct 26, 2017
Mission 10, they do literally nothing its really strange. You get hype cause they look their about to have so much fun kickin demon ass, then lol let me watch dante

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the later environments could get a bit monotonous with 10 straight missions of Giger hell, but largely I found the environments to be handled pretty decently - and even then, the later missions' environments aren't badly designed, they just blend together a little. They obviously can't push as much detail as RE:RE2, but they compose the level elements well visually and their lighting sets the atmosphere well to create a fair few distinct memorable locations. It especially looks good compared to 4 - while Fortuna looked okay, the mines, castle, most of the Order HQ and especially the forest were incredibly bland despite being technically competent for the time - the Saviour hallway was one of the only interesting rooms in the game, and DMC5 outdoes that easily with most of its more mundane architecture like the blood fountains.

Here's a few I didn't mind:

hm3idjr3.png

hm2hfjxi.png

hm127knd.png

Even the shopping arcade at the beginning of M02 and a lot of the hotel rooms were fairly distinctive with how they were lit and intertwined with corrupted roots and rot.

The one thing the game is really missing is something properly abstract like DMC3's Escher void or 1's distorted Gaudi cathedral. Some of the stretched ruins kind of approach it, but still look quite 'regular'.

man i'm glad you posted these before I had to do a rerun and do the same, they look great.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mission 10, they do literally nothing its really strange. You get hype cause they look their about to have so much fun kickin demon ass, then lol let me watch dante
There's a flashback where you play as Dante before Nero bursts in at the beginning of the game. Trish and Lady are seen in gameplay for a little bit as you go through the stage, but all they do is run away from the demons for a few seconds

Alright thanks..

JUst got to mission 3 and I think Im gonna put a pause on this game. I love it quite alot but it just occured to me that I havent played a DMC game since DmC.

Im gonna play through 3,4 and DmC again before getting to this one.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

Since they were literally developed by reusing Dante's animations in 4SE, it'd have been nice to have them as NPC companions just throwing a couple of moves out from Dante's Sparda and Kalina Ann moveset; just model-swapping the existing NPC Dante.

But I guess it'd be a fair bit of work for a very short sequence - they probably would want to give them unique idles / walk cycles, VA etc. and it could look weird if their proportions weren't right or Trish's hair wasn't working right.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the model swaps.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips for beating Urizen in the prologue? I went back with all exceed to try to smash his crystal but the motherfucker keeps trapping me in a time sphere so I can't avoid his laser/death suns.

Oddly enough I was able to get him to like 2/3 health on my first go

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I only just noticed you put a hat on the enemies when you use Dr. Faust on them haha.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
The Taunts in this game absolutely cannot be praised enough.

I will get an entire conductor taunt of with V mid combat, i swear it.

Boliver

Mar 6, 2019
So I didn't use it very much, but is the Helter Skelter just... bad? I know it's used to bust armored enemies, but Rawhide seems to do that just fine while having far better hitboxes and utility. Every time I picked up HS my reaction was basically "oh god not this piece of shit..." more or less.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Some are buggin saying the story is non-existent. I was engaged the entire time, ultimately i guess it depends how into you are DMC.

Controversial but I definitely don't miss the the constant back and worth that dmc1/3 had even if it means more "exploring"

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Some are buggin saying the story is non-existent. I was engaged the entire time, ultimately i guess it depends how into you are DMC.

Controversial but I definitely don't miss the the constant back and worth that dmc1/3 had even if it means more "exploring"
Well the story is non-existent. Exactly as it was in DMC 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I like V a lot once you get some abilities for him, and his characterisation is pretty awesome.

But I like Nero more. He just feels so good to control and the devil breaker is really interesting in how it changes up fighting styles on the go.

The Taunts in this game absolutely cannot be praised enough.

I will get an entire conductor taunt of with V mid combat, i swear it.

I still can't get over Nero randomly putting on his hood and keeping it on for the rest of the level. I don't even wanna know how I triggered that to happen .

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well the story is non-existent. Exactly as it was in DMC 1, 2, 3 and 4.
I can't say I agree but I see where some of you guys are coming from. I was into it you're gradualing going forward each mission in 5, but that's just me though. Never a dull moment, having beat the game it's a solid 9 in the story department.. a few things keeps away from being the best near the end.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017

completely agree. i just don't feel linear is bad in this case. just get me to the next pretty action scene.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble making combos flow with multiple enemies. I keep stalling between combos when I knock an enemy too far and start wailing on open air.

Is there a simple combination you could recommend to start flowing between enemies?