• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Everything I read about V sounds awful honestly. Dodging messes up Shadow's attacks and now you can apparently just mash and get SSS? That's dumb. I've seen DevilNeverCry use him in DMD too and he still doesn't look fun.

It feels like they realized that V is niche and cranked up his style gain. I've been stumbling through every one of his missions and Igot mostly S ranks. Even my first SSS and thus trophy was with him. Despite me playing objectively the worst as him.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
My copy doesn't arrive until Monday!

Hope you're all having fun though. I'll try to pop-in when I can and post any gifs I make if I actually git gud at the game. :)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I normally like these types of games (Bayonetta, etc) but for some reaosn I never played this series. Should I star twith the collection on PS4 ?
There's a lot of fan service in DMCV so I'd think it would be best to play the others before starting V, but it's totally up to you. I still really enjoy DMC1 and DMC3, and DMC3 is still one of the best in the genre.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
You can assign a music track to each character separately. You can only replace for example Dante's theme, or you can replace all three characters themes with same song, or with 3 different songs. And yes, you can swap DMC5 songs as well, so if you want dante with Devil Trigger, you can.

It's fantastic! I want to replace only the Dante's theme!

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play an hour before work. This is my first Devil May Cry game and it's pretty great so far. Makes a fantastic first impression.
Nice! Good to know the formula still works for people who are new to the series.

The start of your second run will blow your mind, if you're interested in doing it. It feels so different when you have your experience plus all of the moves unlocked.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been commented on a lot, but the Mission 8 butterflies were a nice nod.

tumblr_po1xbxePTl1vql4xno1_500.png

Is there theater mode/Cutscene viewer where I can view all the cutscenes in the game again?

Yes, in 'Gallery' under the main menu.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Playing on "Human". Really liking the game so far, though I wish there was more uninterrupted gameplay. I just started my first mission as V, so maybe this will improve as the game goes on.

I think a full game based on V's combat would be awesome. It kinda reminds me of an MMO in a way, only super responsive and fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on "Human". Really liking the game so far, though I wish there was more uninterrupted gameplay. I just started my first mission as V, so maybe this will improve as the game goes on.

I think a full game based on V's combat would be awesome. It kinda reminds me of an MMO in a way, only super responsive and fun.
Folklore Remastered. :P

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

it is as oldschool as it gets: cutscene, empty hallway, arena, cutscene, arena, empty hallway and so on

Is there theater mode/Cutscene viewer where I can view all the cutscenes in the game again?

yes, in the main menu "Gallery" option

Dec 6, 2017
US
Good, I did feel that lock on would be used a lot because just at the start they taught me to use that hold back and press triangle move to rise an enemy in the air, and you really want lock on to do that, I imagine there will be more stuff like that.

Also yes, I expect a lot of moves to close a gap with enemies, I remember that charge forward sword attack that I used a lot in 3. It just caught my attention that I felt it slow, probably got spoiled by Nioh and others but I haven't played those games in a long time so it shouldn't be long before I get use to it.

Thx for the responses.

Maybe others have already said this but think of lock-on in DMC as a move modifier more than anything and it'll click, no doubt. It let's you side-roll evade, modify basically most (from memory now) attacks and on and on.

And what others have said, it's all about speed and style so just learning to maneuver from enemy to enemy is a big element of DMC's combat to learn. It really is a big part of the fun, at least for me, to see just how fucking slick I can get with not wasting any moment between punishing separate enemies and closing distance.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like not being able to toggle between equipped Devil Breakers. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe others have already said this but think of lock-on in DMC as a move modifier more than anything and it'll click, no doubt. It let's you side-roll evade, modify basically most (from memory now) attacks and on and on.

And what others have said, it's all about speed and style so just learning to maneuver from enemy to enemy is a big element of DMC's combat to learn. It really is a big part of the fun, at least for me, to see just how fucking slick I can get with not wasting any moment between punishing separate enemies and closing distance.
Yeah, thinking about it as a modifier is definitely the way to go. Suddenly, dodging goes from pressing 2 buttons and a direction to "jump becomes dodge when locked-on". It's a lot more intuitive than you'd expect just asking how to dodge.

It's great how the moves you use to close the gap are never wasted, too. Dante has much faster and instant ways of doing it, but on the other hand with Nero you can finish the Calibur you used just to get close to an enemy with an Ex/MAX-Act, and get free exceed for your first hit against that enemy.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

For sure, what I remember from DMC 3 is that the enjoyment came from doing stylish stuff and not exactly the most practical (maybe they go hand to hand sometimes).

I read about dodging here before playing the game although the game does tell you how to evade tho, anyway the first mini boss (that red orb with tentacles in mission 01) was useful to practice dodging for a bit.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I don't like not being able to toggle between equipped Devil Breakers. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

My one huge gripe with the demo was exactly this. I didn't find a reason in terms of mechanics even after playing through the demo like 20 times and it still felt nonsensical and lame. The idea of DBs themselves is cool but some of the application is bizarre to me.

Yeah, thinking about it as a modifier is definitely the way to go. Suddenly, dodging goes from pressing 2 buttons and a direction to "jump becomes dodge when locked-on". It's a lot more intuitive than you'd expect just asking how to dodge.

It's great how the moves you use to close the gap are never wasted, too. Dante has much faster and instant ways of doing it, but on the other hand with Nero you can finish the Calibur you used just to get close to an enemy with an Ex/MAX-Act, and get free exceed for your first hit against that enemy.

Granted, I have yet to play the full version but I fucking loved that lasso move in the demo. Very satisfying and cool, one of those simple things that never gets old like freezing enemies with the axe in GoW recently.

For sure, what I remember from DMC 3 is that the enjoyment came from doing stylish stuff and not exactly the most practical (maybe they go hand to hand sometimes).

I read about dodging here before playing the game although the game does tell you how to evade tho, anyway the first mini boss (that red orb with tentacles in mission 01) was useful to practice dodging for a bit.

I hope the higher difficulties in DMCV later on bring a similar level of satisfaction and intensity as being stylish as fuck in DMC3 did. I loved how punishing and hard it was, it made you feel extra-badass playing flamboyantly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I have yet to play the full version but I fucking loved that lasso move in the demo. Very satisfying and cool, one of those simple things that never gets old like freezing enemies with the axe in GoW recently.
The Leviathan is sooo satisfying to use. I wonder if they'll have a new "main" weapon for the sequel. Doubt they'll get rid of the axe, but just to switch things up when it comes to interacting with the envrionment.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
My issue is DMC fandom is one of the most petty, self important and condescending out there. That's some achievement. Constantly making out like if you're not a master of the bladed arts, you mustn't like DMC. Christ, they get into a fit if you accidentally put DmC instead of DMC.
Well we aren't all like that, so maybe drop the attitude

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
PS Store making me search for it...not on the Featured or Popular splash screens..

Want to try the demo...so this is kinda like Bayonetta, except with a dude right?

Dec 6, 2017
US
The Leviathan is sooo satisfying to use. I wonder if they'll have a new "main" weapon for the sequel. Doubt they'll get rid of the axe, but just to switch things up when it comes to interacting with the envrionment.

Not to get totally off topic, which I'm doing right now, but I just recently finished the game for the first time and I could've totally
done without the chains
and had them go even more all-in with the axe. I would've been totally satisfied, great weapon and great fun once you really figure out how much all moves interact with each other like a giant puzzle. One of my favorite moves was the throw and instant recall thing, just wonderful for combos.

Well we aren't all like that, so maybe drop the attitude

To be specific, nobody has been like that. I've skimmed the past 10 pages or whatever seeing how I'm new to the thread and that "DMC fans are XYZ" trip is uncalled-for nonsense. Every OT thread has "This game's fanbase is the woooooorst arrghghgh" wackos.

Last edited:

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just finished the game. I adored the combat, world, graphics, story - it was all amazing. There's somewhat of a 'lul' in the middle where I wanted more of the high octane action the rest of the game displays but damn is it one hell of a ride. Sign of a good game too, as the credits rolled... I wanted to just keep playing and never stop - time for round 2 me thinks.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hmmm where is my V battle theme gone ? I don't have a battle theme anymore I don't know why. I'll try to restart the game after my mission but... I hope it's not a frequent bug.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Just finished the game. I adored the combat, world, graphics, story - it was all amazing. There's somewhat of a 'lul' in the middle where I wanted more of the high octane action the rest of the game displays but damn is it one hell of a ride. Sign of a good game too, as the credits rolled... I wanted to just keep playing and never stop - time for round 2 me thinks.

Could I ask, without spoilers, how prevalent the Gothic-y art direction leanings are in this one compared to say, DMC3? That one also started you in the urban setting but went all-out with gorgeous architecture, weird geometry etc. all inspired by Gothic and Renaissance art. Loved that about it.

Edit: If you've played DMC3 that is, oops!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I didn't really start learning boss patterns until I was trying to 1cc them or until DMD mode (did you know that plant thing at the beginning of the game actually has real patterns? No? Me neither)

It's kind of easy to just stab your way through things and not see a bunch of stuff

Oct 25, 2017
Not to get totally off topic, which I'm doing right now, but I just recently finished the game for the first time and I could've totally done without the chains and had them go even more all-in with the axe. I would've been totally satisfied, great weapon and great fun once you really figure out how much all moves interact with each other like a giant puzzle. One of my favorite moves was the throw and instant recall thing, just wonderful for combos.

Spoiler-tagged just in case, but I actually agree. I felt like the game became a bit too spam-heavy once we get our second weapon, and much more focused on cooldown cycling, instead of precision strikes with the axe.

It's kind of exciting that it's a game with a bunch of places where they can make clear improvements, even though it's so damn good already. Makes me excited for the sequel.

It is kind of off topic, but I find that DMC fans tend to be very chill, with a few exceptions. It's nice to be able to have a bunch of action games related discussions with people who share similar tastes. It's funny to see the contrast between someone asking if they can start with KH III and someone asking if they can start with DMC5. Same for people saying they're not very good at action games, there's little of the "git gud" mentality, most people even say "use auto assist if you want, what matters is that you enjoy it". I like this welcoming side of the community a lot, so I don't think it's too bad that we're going on a slight tangent.

Why isn't work over already? TT_TT

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So jealous of everyone playing today.

Out of town but the game is loaded onto my PS4 and waiting to pull my devil trigger when I get home tomorrow :D

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So either the store needs to update or you can't buy the deluxe edition goodies separately. That kinda sucks.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
"Adjust until the internal brightness matches the external brightness."

What the fuck does that even mean!?

adjust till it is all white

one credit clear...beating the game with one life, basically without continue. it is an arcade term.

How do you swap between Devil Breakers?

you don´t, you have to destroy the arm to switch to the next one

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Never really played a DMC game beyond a few attempts to get into 3 and 4

But at least when condensed to a quick summary in the recap video, the series plot reminded me of Hellboy

Oct 25, 2017
adjust till it is all white

one credit clear...beating the game with one life, basically without continue. it is an arcade term.

Shiiiiiiiiiit.

I'm in.

Son of Sparda 1cc, resetting from Mission 1 every time I die? Let's go.

That will be my second playthrough.

How do you swap between Devil Breakers?

Without losing them? You can't.

1 credit clear.
2 weeks till sekiroooOOOOo
AHHHHHHH

FUCK

DON'T REMIND ME

THAT PREVIEW THREAD GETTING BUMPED ALL THE TIME HURTS

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I read on Gamekult, maybe I misunderstood, that some cutscenes are locked in the normal version and only visible in the deluxe version?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Could I ask, without spoilers, how prevalent the Gothic-y art direction leanings are in this one compared to say, DMC3? That one also started you in the urban setting but went all-out with gorgeous architecture, weird geometry etc. all inspired by Gothic and Renaissance art. Loved that about it.

I have played DMC3, it was my first DMC game actually, back on PS2, and it made me go back and play the others too.

I would say the Gothic-y art direction is almost gone completely in this game, I'd say DMC4 has more of it. Don't get me wrong there is some beautiful, weird, complex geometry and settings in DMC5 but I could probably count on one hand how many of those take influence from Gothic architecture.

Oct 26, 2017
AHHHHHHH

FUCK

DON'T REMIND ME

THAT PREVIEW THREAD GETTING BUMPED ALL THE TIME HURTS
Mate i finished dmc5 at 5am last night and slept like a baby to the thought of some ninja fromsoftware game.

Weird. Hopefully it updates soon then. I only see red orbs, blue orbs, and the Deluxe upgrade.
Just upgraded on UK psn store if that helps c:

Go to your game icon, select upgrade from there!

Half the game is city exploration, the other is just mud walls of various coloring. Its the biggest bummer of the game. Like some street art in Vs first mission is the only time I was like "wow that looks cool"