• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to do a few more runs of the demo in order to make the wait for the NA PSN unlock more bearable. It had the opposite effect than intended.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has level design ever been a strong point in DMC? Or character action games in general?
DMC1 had good level design but since then it has been downhill for the franchise. DmC was where they did something interesting with the linear levels though.

I expected level design to be linear with lots of combat encounter but I expected the art/aesthetics to be better than it actually is.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Windows will just send a HDR signal if windows hdr setting turned on but but the image is still SDR just tonemapped.
I turned off and compared. It is not using HDR. just windows is telling your TV it is hdr.

EDIT: I am a dumbass don't listen to me.
Turning OFF windows HDR setting, It flipped to HDR and its beautiful :D

I originally had HDR windows setting turned on and then turned it off when I didn't see a toggle.

I am happy now.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Ok having played about 5 hours today, is it just me or is the level design really lack luster and at times straight up poor? Maybe my expectations were through the roof but this is a really disappointing aspect of the game to me :/
I mean I havent played it but I always expected it to be hyper linear due to the nature of character actions games. I dont know why people expected some souls-esque level design since it would become annoying on later playthroughs.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Managed to play the prologue and first mission last night. Really like how the game eases you into the controls and moves. Something I wish the demo did, instead of just throwing the player in there with missing moves and a later part of the early game. The demo was a bad impression, but the full game feels pretty awesome. Very responsive, satisfying combat, just runs great in general on the PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
I expected DMC5 to get rid of the annoying stuff from the previous games in regards to level design. Never expected it to be actually good, but in a way, nothing is better than bad.

It's similar to how I feel about Kingdom Hearts. I completely agree when people say that KH1 had much more complex level design, and 2 is just a straight line with enemies. They're absolutely correct. What that sentence misses though is that the complex level design in KH1 was also hot garbage. So no level design is better in this instance.

If they can deliver great level design in DMC, I'd be thrilled, but I'd rather not risk getting a new beyblade and end up with a DMC5 that will only be worth it for Bloody Palace in a couple of months. Been there before, I'd rather get a good, replayable campaign.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Has level design ever been a strong point in DMC? Or character action games in general?
In DMC1, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising. It's not super common, but the idea that character action games can't have good level design with interesting layouts along with combat encounters is untrue. DMCV is the biggest character action title in years, so I don't see why it should get a free pass on that. It can still be a great game with lame level design, but it could also be a great game with great level design if they tried harder.
Nah my tv picked up on hdr, didn't have to do anything.
i can confirm this too
Same. It went into HDR automatically just like with RE2.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Perhaps it's never been the stand out characteristic of one, however the environment and arenas where you traverse and battle enemies should have some thought behind them. This game so far is really poor in that regard. Early chapters mind you, hopefully it picks up. However from my experience it's been serviceable at best and poorly designed at worst.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can you buy the deluxe edition stuff separately? I would get it, but I don't want the Red Orbs.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Really liking it atm even though I'm only at mission 4.
Just looking in every nook and cranny for secrets is top fun.
Really enjoying the characters too.
Can see multiple playthroughs Inc.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Can confirm, HDR is working, just had to enable it in windows. Played the first missions without but seems to be working. Everything went fine, no missing .exe whatsoever.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
In DMC1, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising. It's not super common, but the idea that character action games can't have good level design with interesting layouts along with combat encounters is untrue. DMCV is the biggest character action title in years, so I don't see why it should get a free pass on that. It can still be a great game with lame level design, but it could also be a great game with great level design if they tried harder.

Same. It went into HDR automatically just like with RE2.
Yup hdr working perfect for me as well!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Metal Gear Rising had good level design? 🤔

Anyway, I'm three missions in. Had a novel experience of fighting a new DMC boss for the first time and dying a lot feeling clueless (no gold orbs for me boyo). Which was great.

But why so many tight corridors? I agree with this criticism. At least have more open areas.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Windows 10 is confusing the hell out of me. I've got two monitors and my TV hooked up to my PC. From what I can tell DMC5 will only allow resolutions based on what you set as your main display. So everytime I start it up I have to make my TV my main display (I usually have it set to not display) and switch it back when I'm done. Am I lazy or could this whole thing be set up better, maybe even allowing for multiple profiles you can easily change between.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
OOOOOOOH

0Nk9EjZ.jpg

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Anyone else on PC getting grey bars ? On any other resolution it works full screen no bars except for 1920x1080 and oddly enough 1400x900 just these really annoying grey bars

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This video finally made me understand the appeal of character action games.

I've tried to get into the genre before with attempts at Bayonetta, DMC 3/4, Ninja Gaiden, and others but I've always bounced off. The notion of pulling off dozens of moves to clear areas and kill enemies just seemed so counterintuitive to why and how I play games. Videos of massive insane combos looked awesome and stylish, but always seemed excessive and a waste. What's the thrill of destroying an enemy with so many moves?

But the description of the deliberateness and strategy to character action combat really made the appeal understandable. The idea of pulling off such stylish attacks where every blow and maneuver is a matter of deliberate timing and positioning and knowledge of movesets is a pretty enticing concept, and I can see why there's so much awe towards those insane combos.

After playing the demo quite a few times and trying to be more mindful of my moves and scores, it really started to click. Looking forward to the full game now

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay-wise not really, it plays very similarly to DMC4. A lot of the moves are the same.
DMC4 has many things that this doesn't. It's not simply an 'upgrade'. The gameplay is different. The presentation is different. The vibe is different. Even the characters -although ostensibly the same- are different. Same with 1 and 3. They all have their own little quirks and unique merits. 5 is a fine addition to the series though.
Ok, cool. I was asking because I didn't finish DMC4 but I still want to at some point, but I didn't know how it would hold up after 5.

Oct 25, 2017
This video finally made me understand the appeal of character action games.

I've tried to get into the genre before with attempts at Bayonetta, DMC 3/4, Ninja Gaiden, and others but I've always bounced off. The notion of pulling off dozens of moves to clear areas and kill enemies just seemed so counterintuitive to why and how I play games. Videos of massive insane combos looked awesome and stylish, but always seemed excessive and a waste. What's the thrill of destroying an enemy with so many moves?

But the description of the deliberateness and strategy to character action combat really made the appeal understandable. The idea of pulling off such stylish attacks where every blow and maneuver is a matter of deliberate timing and positioning and knowledge of movesets is a pretty enticing concept, and I can see why there's so much awe towards those insane combos.

After playing the demo quite a few times and trying to be more mindful of my moves and scores, it really started to click. Looking forward to the full game now
That video was really good. And yeah, the fact that every step of a combo you see was the player's own input makes a huge difference. Whenever something cool happens, it's because you did it.

I'm not sure if that's related, but I actually really dislike action movies, and even fighting anime. Videogames is the only media where I enjoy dumb action stuff, just people punching the shit out of each other. It's just not compelling to me in other media. So whenever a game wants to show me a bunch of cool looking stuff through QTEs and the like, I'm not interested at all. I don't care about crazy action, I care about putting in the effort to make the action look crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
I expected DMC5 to get rid of the annoying stuff from the previous games in regards to level design. Never expected it to be actually good, but in a way, nothing is better than bad.
The level design isn't nothing though, its straight up become annoying by mid game. Everything looks the exact same now and feels like pure filler. Like you have to ask yourself "which way did i come into this room, was it from this corridor or that one" too often.

Like in dmc4 you start in the city, go to the snow castle, go to the underground labs, go to the forest etc. Here theres two options for 90% of the game explore ruined city, explore tree. Theres abit of varation to parts of the city atleast, but my god the tree. Imagine if half the game was Bayonettas 2 hell stage, cause thats whats it is.

This is just what the game looks like now

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Ok so I have not really been following the game but am I really forced to play at lower difficulties at first? I don't usually replay games so I would like to have a challenge on my 1st run itself.
Just started the game and had only 2 options to choose from.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum is manageable. Only tough one is S Ranking every mission on every difficulty. DMD is hard af when just trying to survive but S ranking it makes it much harder because you gotta avoid damage (enemies will literally 2 shot you if you slack off) and pull off risky stylish actions. Though with a few more run throughs im sure i can find a cheesy strategy. Sitting at 79% on trophies atm.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
First 5 missions done, definitely having fun with it!
Not a fan of V gameplay though, I wanna play my man Nero :(

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Man this game is incredibely well optimized on PC, getting between 140-200fps depending on the location with everything maxed out at a native 1440p with my 1080Ti, sometimes even higher. The RE engine is truly amazing, game feels so smooth.

KEXNVZQ.jpg

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow they really make you start with the bare minimum....prologue and first mission were a bit of a boring slog because of that.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Man this game is incredibely well optimized on PC, getting between 140-200fps depending on the location with everything maxed out at a native 1440p with my 1080Ti, sometimes even higher. The RE engine is truly amazing, game feels so smooth.

KEXNVZQ.jpg
Yeah it's such a great engine, I was thinking man I wish more games used it. 4k60 everything maxed doesn't even make my 2080ti break a sweat. It's a greta game too. So enjoying it

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for work to be over, played 3 hours at midnight and came to work at 7am lol. Hope to run out of here ASAP and jump back in.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm loving it so far. That's including V - I got the sense that people didn't like how different he was but he's pretty fun. Some of his extra stuff in levels is a bit annoying if you don't have that DT but know where to use it. I suppose that's what replays are for.

Runs great on my PS4 and outside of a few cutscene moments and load times I barely have any issues with the game on a technical level. I'm glad it got a good budget and plenty of time to cook in the oven, becuase this is easily the best Devil May Cry game.