• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Been forever since I've played a DMC game (not counting dMc). Think I'm going to start with auto-assist on as I might be a little too tempted to play this like Bayonetta or the last dMc game.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There should definitely had been a hard mode for veterans. Seems like Devil Hunteris just going to be an extended tutorial for returning players.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would be happy if this game can even top DMC4. We all know this kind of game is not main stream.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody else find the camera sometimes starts rotating around the character when they just try to look up and down?

PS4 here.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Technically there is a Hard mode unlock at start if you know about it. Its just not easy to unlock.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you think changing the structure will do any good for DMC?
God of War changed formula and suffered in a lot of things, see limited combat system, poor enemy encounters and poor boss encounters and on top of that we had reused trolls ad nausem (despite all this GoW was my 2018 GOTY) . A Souls structure with DMC combat system won't work at all, do you see Dante running on a big map talking to NPCs, doing quests and shit? Nah, i don't see that.

We got a linear action game with 3 playable characters a lot of boss fights and fanservice, replayability and Bloody Palace, this is what people want and seek from DMC. If you don't like it there are a lot of other games, but pretending a change in the vein of GOW or aping Dark Souls is the worst thing that could happen to the series.
I could absolutely see a more open structure working, especially given Dante & Nero's vocation, but I also get that fans wouldn't want that.

There's always Nioh, though. That game was mission-based, but remixed those missions multiple times to add a ton of replay value. Imagine if the different enemy placements from Son of Sparda were instead optional missions that could be tackled with any character. And if you faced different bosses at the end of those missions (buffed early game bosses would have new life breathed into them). That's what Nioh did, and it would fit perfectly in DMC's format with minimal tweaks.

I can't imagine a reason to not want that.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've heard a lot of complaints about V sometimes being imprecise because of Griffon amd Shadow's positioning. That sounds like a big problem in a game like this.
I think he's fun, but yeah, it's a little difficult to do the right move sometimes since you don't actually control/move Griffon or Shadow.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the only disappointment I have so far is the fact that a certain fight has a pretty weak song accompanying it

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up. Youtube started throwing big spoiler videos in my Recommended feed for some fucking reason.

Be aware guys.

Oct 26, 2017
There are no unwinnable fights..
Been 2 fights so far that i've progressed by just dying, maybe the "add" health bar goes down slowly (honestly hard to even see it with how much is going on)...but lets not pretend you are meant to win.

Technically there is a Hard mode unlock at start if you know about it. Its just not easy to unlock.
Related to the post above? Like doku?

I've heard a lot of complaints about V sometimes being imprecise because of Griffon amd Shadow's positioning. That sounds like a big problem in a game like this.
The problem people are probably having is that using defensive tools such as dodge/double jump actually require your allies. If you dodge for example, shadow does the dodge for you and is now repositioned by V. Hence, if you attack with him hes not gonna be hitting that demon you're locked onto which is 5 miles away from your current position.

IMO they control really well, but its alot to get your head round initially.

They were super cheap in the demo. Is it different in the full game?
Ranging from 500-3500. Not really alot of reason to buy them first so far

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How to unlock SoS mode at the start:

You have to beat Urizen in the prologue. This also unlocks the Gold trophy "exact an unexpected conclusion".

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The environments and level design structure are definitely the areas where I think DMC should evolve some. From what I've seen so far it seems like DMC1 is still the king in that regard and.....it shouldn't be. Until Onimusha went full action RPG it too suffered from not being as tight and focused as it slowly moved away from the Resident Evil formula. Same with Dino Crisis

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man I did not expect the world of DMC to be less final fantasy and more like Supernatural the TV series.

Normal folks really don't know shit about demons. My perspective has been skewed by only seeing Dante's adventures lol.

Oct 25, 2017
You've mentioned it's the opposite of Easy Mode is now Selectable.

Is it if I win the unwinnable fight?

EDIT:

How to unlock SoS mode at the start:

You have to beat Urizen in the prologue. This also unlocks the Gold trophy "exact an unexpected conclusion".

Cool.

Oct 26, 2017
IMO this will be the main source of V frustration, everytime you dodge shadow moves away from the target. Hes alot to take in at first, but hes super awesome.

And holyyyyyy shit Dante time for me

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The environments and level design structure are definitely the areas where I think DMC should evolve some. From what I've seen so far it seems like DMC1 is still the king in that regard and.....it shouldn't be. Until Onimusha went full action RPG it too suffered from not being as tight and focused as it slowly moved away from the Resident Evil formula. Same with Dino Crisis

Every time the game deviates from fighting, people will complain- Platforming bridges,under water segments, shadow puzzles, light puzzles, blade puzzles etc.

There is value in knowing your strengths and not padding your game with fluff. Resident Evil is about clearing rooms as efficiently as possible with the resources you're given, Devil May Cry is about clearing enemy types and composition with the tools you're given.

Oct 25, 2017
SoS from the start will spoil late-game enemies, though, right? :(

I'm not sure if I want it, but the first playthrough being too easy is probably a bigger issue.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not how to do an OT with 900 gifs so mobile users can't even load it. C'mon man :/

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Every time the game deviates from fighting, people will complain- Platforming bridges,under water segments, shadow puzzles, light puzzles, blade puzzles etc.

There is value in knowing your strengths and not padding your game with fluff. Resident Evil is about clearing rooms as efficiently as possible with the resources you're given, Devil May Cry is about clearing enemy types and composition with the tools you're given.
The great level design and environments of DMC1 came at the expense of that Kamiya patented fluff like the underwater segment, not because of it. We already have a DMC game that proves you can do better, there's no excuse not to.

Oct 25, 2017

The "problem" is that the combat is too complex. The map design wasn't really horrible before, but all the walking and light puzzles felt like a huge waste of time.

Until they can figure out a way to interact with the levels that is as engaging as fighting, I'd rather just have a linear map of fight after fight with some cutscenes in the middle.

In Souls this isn't a problem because fights are short, simple and brutal. You're not dying to get to another fight so you can try some sweet tech you've been practicing in your mind. You just hit R1 a couple of times and don't get hit. Even Sekiro, with its much more complex toolset, is very simple compared to DMC. So traversing complex environments, finding secrets, talking to NPCs, that's all a huge part of the enjoyment, it feels just as meaningful as combat.

But in DMC, I'm doing dumb puzzles while thinking about testing some shit out with Dante when I get to play with him again. I just want to test some stuff, to try to do better in combat. All of the walking feels like a gigantic waste of time, and increasing the time you spend walking without amping up the mechanical complexity of walking feels just as useless.

And I say this as a huge Souls fan. In fact, I like Souls way more than I like DMC, but they're just not that comparable to lift things from one to the other. You get an encounter, it's 3 dudes, you try to hit a specific combo with style switching and jump cancel over and over again. You never get it right, but you're THIS close, you feel like with two more enemies of the same type you'll finally get your cool looking combo. But before you get to those two enemies, here's some walking, some puzzles, some talking or whatever. Who wants that? It's trash. And, again, I say this as someone who LOVES exploration in Souls, the level design is incredible. But I'm not convinced it would work in DMC.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an add-on or something for firefox to block certain YouTube videos from showing up? It'd be great to not have to worry about seeing "DMC5 Final Boss is Bayonetta!" on my front page.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Amazon is really making me sweat. They haven't shipped my Deluxe copy yet. I locked in my order the week the Deluxe was announced, so I'm hoping I made the cut. I'm a bit nervous after reading about canceled orders.

I had a regular copy preordered as well, but I canceled it after the Deluxe was announced. My pessimist brain is telling me Amazon canceled my Deluxe with it.

"We assumed you didn't want DMC in your life, therefore we cancelled all the pizza eating, strawberry sundae loving fuckers in your Orders."